Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Does anyone have any good, off the beaten path, compilation suggestions? I'd love some 3 disc samplers of the type of music most of us would not otherwise come across.

For example, I have compilations named:
- Anthology of American Folk Music
- Children of Nuggets, Original Artyfacts from the Second Psychedelic Era, 1976-1996
- Long Road to Freedom, An Anthology of Black Music
- Nuggets, Original Artyfacts From the First Psychedelic Era, 1965-1968
- Tumbélé! Biguine, Afro and Latin Sounds From the French Caribbean, 1963-1974

Among others. Pitchfork has been a surprisingly good source for suggestions, but I've dried that well.

Therefore, does anyone have compilation suggestions? 2 discs of Peruvian music I didn't even know existed? A CD of the earliest electronic music? Et cetera? Looking at this from a historical point of view, not just an enjoyment. Would like to try some music I've never heard or heard of.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
:eek: Oh my word. I expected one or two recommendations but this is like Christmas. Fantastic recommendations, very much appreciated, and an extra thanks to Ras Het for the sheer volume of awesome.

(And if there's more to come by other people, would love to hear it!)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Preface: I deleted a shitton of Armin Van Buuren mixes because, whoa cowboy, I don't care that much about trance.

I'd love a series, compilation (official or not), one disc per year kind of thing that can keep me up to speed with the latest in trance and/or club music like you might find in UK clubs. Gatecrasher, Ministry of Sound, that kind of thing. What's important to me is that it be the biggest hits and that it not be a poo poo ton. I don't need giant compilations, I'd just like quick hits, or even stuff like what Ministry of Sound did with their 3 disc Anthems 1991-2008 set which hits all the high points. I just don't need SO MUCH like I had before.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You're missing out on a great album and will appreciate Odessey and Oracle on your first listen

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I asked a question that was similar to but not this question a year ago, and I got amazing answers, especially from Das Het. But, I am going to pretend like I didn't ask it, and ask a new question.

I have been listening to Pitchfork's Africa 100: The Indestructible Beat compilation for the past week. It's a 100 track compilation of the most essential afrobeat tracks, and it is relentlessly good. I tried to find some more music on my own, but rateyourmusic.com is a wasteland, and the only person who anyone has heard of is Fela, so he dominates everything. I have this crazy feeling that more than one person has made music.

So I am looking for suggestions. Compilations, artists, albums. Afrobeat, yoruba, highlife, and in a broader sense bordering on pejorative - African music. There's music on that continent, and I want to hear more of it. I would really appreciate any recommendations in this vein.

Hooplah posted:

Give me something like Saul Williams or Death Grips.
Bleep bloop does not compute, this is not possible.

Nah, someone will have something for you, but of all the "one of a kind" bands out there, I've really never heard anything like Death Grips.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
double

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 26, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
GOD I LOVE YOU

I will thoroughly research each of your suggestions (I recognize some that I have, a good start!) and get to work on them.

You really are the best thing going <3 <3

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

quadrophrenic posted:

You might enjoy Shiner. They're not quite as fuzzy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmdVYpkjaPo
Doubling down on the Shiner recommendation. The title track from The Egg LP is on a theoretical "best songs you've never heard of" list, an absolute must listen.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

penneydude posted:

Speaking of Venetian Snares, I keep seeing that whacky style of drumming pop up in different places, and I like it, but I've never really figured out what it's called.

In this remix, right around 4:10, is what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCdH5g6YgQM

Are there more dance-type bands that use this a lot?
That sounds like the Amen break

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amen_break
Video explaining everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac
And the actual song that it comes from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxZuq57_bYM

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If I want a Frank Zappa overview compilation, can I do better than Strictly Commercial? I'm stuck between getting his 15 or so highest rated albums (the rateyourmusic crowd looooves him, so it's very hard to pick 2-3 from there), or a single disc compilation in Strictly Commercial. I'd very much like a 2 or 3 disc compilation rather than just a single.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is there anyone doing what the 1991-1996 Smashing Pumpkins did? And no, Silversun Pickups don't sound anything like the Smashing Pumpkins. But anyone with that clean production, 13 layers of guitar, heavy riffy but sing along kind of music these days?

I'm listening to Gish right now and I realize wow, I never hear this.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Does anyone have suggestions for dense/layered ambient? The kind of stuff where there's just a million layers if you care to look for it, but still retains the beatless, background-if-you-want, glacial qualities of ambient?

I unironically love I am sitting in a room, and Brian Eno's ambient works, and the Aphex Twin ambient albums (although I favor the 2nd to the 1st, putting me in the minority). So I'd like something in that wheelhouse, but just a little busier, while still being firmly ambient (ie - not like, The Orb's first album or Person Pitch or something)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Suspicious Dish posted:

Tycho's Dive is one of my favorite albums because of that.
This I hadn't heard of, but that does seem perfect from what a google tells me, so that's exactly what I need, yes, more of that!

Mister Snips posted:

I read dense, layered ambient and immediately thought of gas. I've never really gotten into ambient but pop is a loving incredible album
And yes yes yes, Gas is a great example of what I'm looking for. Very familiar with Pop, and I have casually listened to the self-titled and Zauterberg (if I'm getting that title wrong, I apologize) as background music. More like that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This is more a conversation piece than a "who I need to hear", but bear with me.

Can anyone name some other bands that have like, a period inwhich they are so amazingly prolific it's almost hard to keep up? I have 5, I'm curious who else applies.

The Smiths - 4 albums in 4 years, enough singles and B-sides to fill another 2.
Stereolab - a band with as many compilations of their B-sides and 7" as proper albums
Blur - the new 21 box set is a testament to just how damned much music they recorded, every album has another disc full of B-sides and non-album singles
Pavement - the 2 disc versions of all of their albums bear this out
The Smashing Pumpkins - after Siamese Dream, an outtakes/b-sides collection, then a double album, from which each single had an EP worth of material

I'm curious if there are other bands that did this. Bands where there are albums, but so, so, so much more. Nothing more than a curiosity here.

e: prolific can simply mean lots of albums - all of my examples are b-sides, but if someone's just straight releasing a lot of albums, that counts. Hell, The Beatles.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 17, 2012