Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

I hear there have been some organized protests at the burning site just last week. The hippy liberal protesters say that this completely vital and essential project is wasting valuable tax dollars that could be better spent on hospitals or schools or some such ridiculous communist propaganda.

What these people don't understand is that in a giant money conflagration, it's inevitable that some otherwise useful money is going to be burnt. It's regrettable byproduct of money pyres, but it's never going to change, so it's best that you just accept it. You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Goatstein posted:

The thing that blows me away about their protests is that if not for fire, they wouldn't have any of their snazzy computers or iphones or pita wraps! Talk about shortsighted...

I know! We'd be living in damp caves and eating raw fish like gollum if these people had their way.

This new administration is clearly anti-fire and I fear for the project as well as my personal right to start fires where-ever and whenever I choose. As a cautionary measure against fire seizure by the new world order I've taken to keeping all my fireplaces blazing at all hours and even maintained a series of small fires at all times upon my person by chainsmoking.
Stockpiling fire is our patriotic duty, I'm doing my part, are you?

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Grum posted:

Ok, I've researched monetary-based megafires such as the one in the op, and I am unreservedly against this application of public funds. I understand that such opposition was requested to be left out of the topic but I feel it's of the utmost relevance. Ignoring the implications for the effect on the climate, local, not just global, this is still an atrocious failure of foresight by the US Military. The money that is being literally burned away in this 'project' could be better spent elsewhere. Reputable research areas such as nanotechnology and Quantum Computing that could greatly enhance the lives of all peoples in the world. Were President Obama to follow a righteous course of lowering funds for military research and increase them for, say, NASA, a great boon to space capabilities and extraterrestrial bases could easily push history forward in terms of creating a global hegemony under which all countries could thrive under the guidance of technology-enabling nations.
You could at least read the thread. Just a few posts above yours domn outlined how the M-hole is pushing forward new developments in nanotechnology. I also hear the DOD is developing a new Quantum computer that can calculate the amount of money burned months before it's even released by the treasury or even printed.

Grum posted:

I would posit that all the gains from the money-pyre could be achieved ten-fold, and in abundance with other technological advances, through the use of nanotechnology and the immolation of the moon.
This is a pretty exciting idea. Considering the value of all the helium-3 on the moon, we could expand the effectiveness of the project exponentially.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 6, 2009