Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Jabarto posted:

I'm a little unclear on how Eador is supposed to be won. I get that it's supposed to be stupidly hard old-school but I'm seeing a lot of fights that simply can't be won and I don't know if it's because I'm missing something obvious or if I'm just supposed to send suicide waves to grind down the defenders. I mean, a settlement with a dozen giants and trolls isn't that rare, and even three or four of those enemies would be enough to wipe out my army. Hell, even enemy guards are a serious obstacle, and those are in every single enemy province.

This is a while back, but have you played the campaign? It seems that it does a good job of easing the player into more features and difficulty. Also, don't feel like you have to conquer every settlement; if it's too tough then it's probably pretty likely that the enemy might decide to avoid it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

JebanyPedal posted:

I am not lying, or exaggerating, when I say Eador: Genesis is easily the best game that has been uploaded to this site yet. Good gently caress.

This is A Correct Opinion; everyone should buy Eador. It's one hell of an unforgiving game but man it hurts so good.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Amethyst posted:

My advice if you're on a modern system, say, win7 64 with any processor above a celeron: don't get it. It's crippled by bizarre performance problems and the only available fixes are unreliable.

On the other hand, I've had exactly zero problems playing it on two different computers, both of which have Windows 7 and one of which has the 64 bit version. :shrug:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

So Eador: Masters of whatever is out and I'm seeing reports of it being basically still in beta. Somewhere between "not so bad" and "just go play the original". Anyone care to weigh in?

From what I've heard, the game is buggy as poo poo and the user interface sucks. Also, It's just a graphical facelift of the original game, there's nothing new. I recommend avoiding Masters of the Broken World. I do, however, highly recommend getting the original game, Eador: Genesis if you even remotely like RPGs or TBSs as it's loving amazing.

Edit: I should also mention that while Genesis is old, it still looks really nice, so the graphical update is even less of a big deal.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
:neckbeard: Oh poo poo yeah, Shadow Man is a hell of a gem. It's like a really dark mash-up of Legend of Zelda and N64 collect-o-thon, highly recommend it if you're not too offended by late 90's graphics. Also worth noting, the PC version is a noticeably better than the console versions. It has a number of graphical effects and some areas are pretty different. The New York Apartments area, for example, has a whole bunch of effects that make it a good bit creepier.

It would be nice to get the PC versions of N64-era Turok games. They were pretty fun, and aside from the horrible fog, looked pretty decent for their time but holy poo poo, their controls (at least on the N64, I haven't played the PC ports) haven't aged well at all.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wicker Man posted:

I still have my PC copy of Shadowman, and even on Windows Vista 64 it runs perfectly fine after a small patch that is easily found on any download website like fileplanet. Never crashes, runs clean and fast. Apparently the GOG version will come with a map, which this game SORELY needs. Fortunately for me, I've memorized all the areas :spergin:.

I know that my old Playstation copy of Shadowman came with a map (Yeah I have copies on PS, N64, and PC :spergin: gotta get the Dreamcast version at some point :spergin::spergin::spergin:). If the GOG map is that one then it's unfortunately just a very rough map of the overworld and the details of how many souls were needed to get through each gate and the locations of key items.

Edit: gently caress all this Shadow Man chat is making me want to buy Shadow Man on GOG despite already owning it three times over and having way too many other games on my backlist. :negative:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wicker Man posted:

Only for the few games I really, really like, I swear!

Turok 1 and 2 were so much fun, but did anyone ever play that Quake 3-like version on the N64, Rage I think? Did they ever put that on the PC?

Rage Wars, I had it on the N64. It wasn't very good. There wasn't much there that you couldn't get out of the multiplayer in Turok 2 and of course, Rage Wars didn't have any single player stuff (aside from dicking around with bots I guess). According to Wikipedia, there wasn't any PC port.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

spider wisdom posted:

I say this every time it goes on sale, but to be sure — buy Arcanum.

Also, if anyone hasn't played Legend of Grimrock, get it, for it is wonderful.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bursk posted:

How does the PC version of Shadow Man compare to the Dreamcast version?

The Dreamcast version of Shadow Man is the closest to the PC version and, to my knowledge, doesn't really have any of the content differences that the N64/PS1 have. The PC version will, however, look nicer since you can mess with resolution and all that stuff and the PC version allows for Mice and Keyboard controls (which I remember working rather well) and whatever controller you can plug in.

I found a video that shows the differences in the console versions, which is a kind of interesting watch I think. The uploader apparently didn't include any overview of the PC version since quality is dependent on hardware.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
How is Lords of Magic? It looks nice but I'd like to get a goon opinion or two.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm really digging Evil Genius, but I've got a bit of a problem: I'm not seeing any way to save aside from autosaving. Surely I'm just not seeing something, right?

Oh and there's a new sale on a bunch of scary games.

Edit: Thanks, apparently the save command in the menu is under "Load Save"(:psyduck:).

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 30, 2013

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

Shadow Man is on discount today! I so desperately wanted this game back on the day on the N64. Read the review back and forth as well as the guide that came with N64 magazine. Don't know if it has aged that well, but it's great to have an excuse to play it!

Shadow Man is one of those games that I've always had a hardon for because it's awesome. Also, PC is the best version of Shadow Man.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's a good idea too since sales go by so fast that no one has time to ask about how the game is or anything. It's pure distilled consumerism. :getin:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Haha Syberia took a while.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Just download the demo for Postal 2, it literally contains all the fun there is to be had in that game.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
*Whew*

There goes Alpha Centauri :stare:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The real question is why you didn't buy Alpha Centauri on GOG the moment you signed up. :colbert:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Buy BG2 if you don't have it swine

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Geneforge or something just had 40 free copies and I clicked buy and it just gave me a server error. :negative:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

scamtank posted:

Torment's combat wasn't that bad.

It was. I mean, It didn't literally murder my family, but I can't imagine that anyone would want to play it on its own.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Duke Nukem 3D is on sale, if you don't have it (you crazy person) then get it now.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Buy Shadow Man nerds, for it is good.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The only things I didn't enjoy in Hotline Miami was the two boss fights and the hospital level, but otherwise, Hotline Miami was loving amazing.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
How has Ultima Underworld held up over the years, is it still worth playing?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I played a bunch of King's Bounty: The Legend and it was real good and is long as gently caress, so if Crossroads is like that then it's definitely worth 5 bux.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

pentyne posted:

In case the sale doesn't entice you, here are the PC specs directly from Steam.

Minimum:
Processor: IBM PC Compatible computer with a 233Mhz 486 processor
Memory: 8 MB RAM
Graphics: A VESA compatible Super VGA card
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
Additional Notes: HATE HATE HATE

Ahaha, holy crap, you're not kidding.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So, Total Annihilation and Kingdoms are on sale today. It seems like RTS spergs are always cumming over TA, so I might get that, but is Kingdoms worth getting?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Zoe posted:

I have never not been able to access GOG before. :stare: I wonder what download speeds are like...

Looks like someone wasn't around for the insomnia sale, when GOG was overloaded every time a good deal (or god forbid a free game) popped up.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
"Oh cool, Fallout series is free" I thought to myself. And then I remember that I already own the series on GOG.:v:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So, is the Bullfrog Classics pack something we should jump on. There's only 30 more minutes. :ohdear:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Alright, I went and bought the bundle. 10 classic games for 15 bucks, drat I love GOG so much.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
New line of deals is up. The Ultraviolence Uberpack (these fuckin' names) is a bit of a mixed bag. Carmageddon, Hotline Miami, and Blood are great games. I haven't played Carmageddon II, but if it's more of the same then it's good. Blood 2 and the Postal games are poo poo, however.

Edit: Oh, I got 75% off System Shock 2, which I already have. :suicide:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Just a friendly reminder to wait until games go up on specific sales. I mean, what's up is good, but there's no reason to pay more for games that are going to be more heavily discounted in the future.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I hadn't played Alpha Centauri until a couple years ago when I got it on GOG and I can testify that it owns and is still pretty much the best 4X strategy game ever.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

drat. Are all (or at least most) of the D&D bundle games worth playing? The only one I've played (and already own) is Planescape, and I know everyone says they love Baldur's Gate, but what about the Icewind Dales and Neverwinter Nights and those random ones at the end?

Aside from Dragonshard and Demon Stone, pretty much everything on the list is a classic RPG and very much worth getting.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Maybe there's an "ideas guy" at Zenimax keeping those on hold for just the right moment to launch their own store-and-client.

Oh god, just what we need, another Steam/GOG-wannabe. :gonk:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

So they couldn't refund the difference but they gave me a coupon for a free game worth $5.99. Now I have a decision to make:

Urban Chaos
Stargunner
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Krush Kill 'N Destroy
Independence War
I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
Crusader: No Remorse
Crusader: No Regret
Apache vs. Hind
Comanche vs. Hokum

I've not played any of these games and can only pick one. I love actiony games and adventury games and strategery games. KKND is a throwback to my childhood when I remember seeing the box and being like "Yeah that would be COOL." Same with the two Vs. games.

Alpha Centauri all the way. It's one of the best (if not the best) 4X strategy games of all time and is one of those games I think needs to be in everyone's GOG library.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I agree with a lot of the suggestions made in this forum about great old games to put back out. What bothers me is when I hear people, and I have, talking about how Steam brought back SS2/I Have no Mouth and the latter Wizardry trilogy, because it's GOG that got those and they deserve infinite credit for bringing back games thought lost to time and legal bullshit.

It bothers me a bit as well how Steam, to my knowledge, wasn't really a part of bringing those games back but still gets to reap all the rewards of it. I wish GOG could have got some exclusivity on those games for some duration, if for no other reason than to give them the ability to say "yeah, WE did this!"

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Shadow Man is on sale now at 60% off ($2.39) and is a cool game so you should get it if you haven't yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I never played Ten Hammers, but Full Spectrum Warrior was a pretty fun game. Like everyone else has said, remember that it's really a puzzle game with a military setting, not a shooter.