Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Kanfy posted:

I liked the first Witcher but a lot of people don't like the combat system. For that price it's worth it either way.

It's true that the combat is pretty bad at the beginning, but I thought it really picked up later on when you pick up a silver sword and you're constantly changing styles and using signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Thinking of picking up some of the Gothic games when they go on sale tomorrow, even though they probably wont be the winners. I know people seem to like Gothic 2, what's the general consensus on 3?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Genpei Turtle posted:

Gotta disagree with this--Gothic 3, while not as good as the first two, is great with the fan patch. It might be hardware-specific, but I have zero performance issues and have a relatively old rig.

Its weakness compared to the other Gothics and Risen is that its melee combat isn't as good, but it's got a really big, mostly well-crafted world to explore, a huge number of quests, and a lot of variety you can go with your character builds. It's basically an open-world Gothic, whereas the other games were a little more compact and self-contained.

Risen's good too--it's kind of a throwback to Gothic 1/2 in a lot of ways--but after the first two chapters it takes a massive poo poo and turns really bad for the rest of the game. The correct answer is "play them all." (except maybe Risen 2, which turned out surprisingly dull given Piranha Bytes' track record)

Okay, then I might as well pick up Gothic 2 and 3. I already picked up Risen, so it'll be interesting to see how Piranha Bytes' evolved over the years. From what everyone's said about Forsaken Gods, I'm going to assume I can safely skip it.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Did anyone ever get around to trying out The Last Federation? It looks interesting, but I don't really know anything about how good or not AI War was.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

THE BAR posted:

I don't see the similarity with Dungeon Keeper, unless you're talking aesthetics?

I think he meant Dungeon Master, since that's also a first person dungeon crawler.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Ah, yes, of course.

I've never played Dungeon Master, but it's also somewhat puzzle based, isn't it?

I haven't played too much of it, but its essentially the precursor to Legend of Grimrock in every way, so make of that what you will.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

Oh hey, Eador: Genesis is on sale this weekend. If you haven't picked it up yet, you absolutely should.

What was the consensus on Eador: Genesis? I think I remember hearing somewhere that one of the Eador games was bad and the other was good.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Deranged M posted:

I am thinking about picking one of the age of wonders game now that they are on sale. I really like homm series but I never played aow. Which one should I go with , which is the best one in your opinion ?

I just picked up Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic and its got a strong HoMM3 feel to it. Particularly the combat and over world map. Apparently that and the original Age of Wonders are the ones to play, with 2 being not quite as great.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I'm interested as well. Freedom Fighters is one of my all time favorite games, and I don't see any reason it can't pop up on GOG one day, seeing as there are both IO and EA games available to buy.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Quite happy that I managed to snatch up Wasteland while it was on sale. Been wanting to play it for a while now.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can't even log in to GOG to buy Humans Must Answer

Speaking of, anybody know if Humans Must Answer is any good? It looks pretty fun if the trailer is anything to go by.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Magnus Praeda posted:

Has Uru come up for last chance yet? It's the only one on my shortlist I didn't catch yet.

Yeah, I saw it on sale earlier today. I don't think it had the "Last Chance" text under it, so I don't see why it couldn't go on sale again.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Decided to finally pick up Blade of Darkness since everybody and their brother is touting this as a proto-Dark Souls. Hopefully its aged well.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Deus Ex 2 of all things, and it's actually moving along pretty steadily so far. :psyduck:

For what it's worth, I actually liked DX:IW. Likely because it was my first experience with the DX series.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Theme Park needs to sell ~1400 copies to move on to the next game. Is the game good enough to warrant GOG putting up so many copies?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I realize the last chance for Inquisitor has come and gone, and I couldn't get it since I was at work, but was that game any good? It seems kinda interesting, but looks a little janky.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

It was on sale on steam for like a buck ninety nine. I played about an hour of it and uh, janky is certainly a word for it. It's bad.

Thanks. At least I know I'm not missing anything.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Finally managed to grab a copy of Tiny and Big. The sale is finally over for me.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Gilok posted:

The second thing.

I actually thought it was ok at first, then I realized it was going to be exactly the same Facebook parody for the entire game and never played it again.

I really wish I'd seen this post before I picked up this game today. For me, it was funny for about 5 minutes. After that, the horrible UI got to me and I realized I didn't even care a little about any of the characters I'm interacting with.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Since I know the Ultima games are inevitably going to be a dailey, I might as well ask if Ultima 8 is any good. I know 1-7 is generally well regarded, but all I know about 8 is what Spoony said in his review of it.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Since it's about to come up as a flash deal, what do people think of Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages? The concept and gameplay kind of remind me of the freeware game "Transcendence", which I loved dearly.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Since they keep popping up on flash sales I might as well ask. How is Spellforce 2: Demons of the past? I've tried Spellforce 2: Shadow wars and it felt like the worst parts of Warcraft 3. Did DotP improve on the formula at all or is it more of the same? Also, is Omikron worth picking up? It looks interesting, but it being a David Cage game and all I'm kind of wary...

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

double nine posted:

And Sacred Gold, is that any good?

I personally didn't like Sacred Gold. It felt like a really slow and clunky Diablo 2. Honestly, just play Torchlight 2 or Titan Qust if you want to satisfy your ARPG itch.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Are the Wing Commander Games as good as everyone says they are? I'm kind of interested, but I've already bought a lot of games this sale...

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I asked this a couple days ago but since its on sale today I'll ask again - is Spellforce 1 and Spellforce 2: Dragon Storm any good? I own Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars, but felt like it played like the worst missions in Warcraft 3. Is the original or the sequels expansions better at all or is it more of the same?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Jamesman posted:

"Another GOG sale, eh? Well, shouldn't be too bad, since I bought gently caress-near everything on the site last year and still haven't played any of it and... wait, where did these games come from? Oh, that's really cheap. Oh, that one is one of the few still on my wishlist. Oh, they made a sequel to this game that I must have missed. Not that I played the previous games, but I do own them, so I should buy this too.

"Holy poo poo where did all my money go?!"

Oh thank god, I thought I was the only one. The most terrifying thing however, is that it starts all over again with the Steam sale tomorrow :stonk:

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Is Ultima 9 as bad as everyone says in that absolutely no entertainment may be gotten from it?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Is the Deponia series worth $11.97? It looks really good based on the trailers, but between this and the steam summer sale I've already spend so much money...

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I see Aquanox and Aquanox 2 is on sale. Are those any good? From what I've seen, it looks kind of like Descent.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Do the Soul Reaver games 'just work' with a 360 pad?

No, At least not for the original Soul Reaver. I plugged in my 360 controller and had all sorts of problems just trying to navigate the menus. If you're interested in playing with a 360 controller, it'd probably be easier to use something like xpadder.

On a different note, is Uplink any good? I've heard good thing about it, but would like confirmation before I take the plunge.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So Sid Meier's Colonization, is that the good Colonization, and does the gameplay hold up today? Is it more 4X more "City" Builder?

I'm curious about this as well. If I already own Civ 4: Colonization on Steam, is it worth owning this?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Morter posted:

My rear end got booted over here from another thread for asking: How is SiN? I've only just heard of it, even though I was all about the older shooters when I was but a wee FPS lover.

It's very much a classic run and gun fps. I don't think it's unfair to compare it to Quake 2, as it uses the same engine. It has a lot more color and humor though.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

What's it like? I've always been curious

It play similar to Painkiller where you're constantly jumping around avoiding the hundreds of bullets being shot at you. It's got kind of a Cave Story-like leveling system where you level up by collecting shards but lose levels by repeatedly getting hit. It's not too terribly difficult if you're halfway decent at FPS games, but dodging the hundreds of bullets being shot at you get pretty fun and hectic, and the little story sequences made me chuckle for what it's worth.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

We're also apparently getting Sam and Max Hit the Road, Secret of Monkey Island, Fate of Atlantis, and KotOR in tomorrow's reveal but who the gently caress cares about that, motherfuckin' TIE FIGHTER :siren::supaburn::siren:

Does this include KotoR II? I would easily pay another $10 for a DRM-free copy of Kotor II.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Charles Martel posted:

The Gravis Gamepad! Yesssss.

As far as other publishers go, I'd also like to see a few that were mentioned: 2K Games, Fox Interactive, SegaSoft, and especially Microsoft Game Studios for Crimson Skies, Monster Truck Madness, Midtown Madness, Motocross Madness, Fury3 and Hellbender (the sequels to Terminal Velocity), etc.

Oh and they need Epic Games. If I could get GoG releases of One Must Fall 2097 and Jazz Jackrabbit, I would lose my poo poo.

So yeah, they got a few more publishers to sign up for, but LucasArts is a BIG milestone. Just like when they brought EA on board.

Also, I was reading through this on the GoG forums and...what the hell happened to XIII and Re-Volt?? Licensing hell? I could have sworn I bought them, but they aren't in my Steam or GoG accounts at all.

I believe the thing with Re-Volt was that the game came with a mod installed that improved some part of the game, but the authors of the mod weren't credited anywhere, so there was a dispute over it. This post on the GOG forum explains it better.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

I like how the email they send for getting the stamps has separate codes for the Witcher 2 and the movie so you can get the good game and not have the bad movie poo poo up your collection.

Has anyone actually bought any of the movies on GOG or even watched the free one?

I watched The Gamers a few years back when it was segmented on Youtube. It's about what you'd expect from a no-budget indie film, and has a few funny moments. I wouldn't have paid money to see it again, though. Can't say anything about its sequels.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
If anyone is considering getting the witcher games, I still have a key for the second game from the thanksgiving sale.
EDIT: XA9F53CAF4AF4305G if anyone's interested

Probottt fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 4, 2014

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I've waited till the last day, so I might as well ask now. I've been eyeing Giants: Citizen Kabuto for a while now, and it hasn't gotten a bigger discount than 50%, so is it worth the $4.99 they're charging for it? I've seem some videos of it and it really looks great, but I though I'd just get the goon opinion before taking the plunge.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
If anyone is interested in recreating an N64-like experience with Rogue Squadron, an Xbox 360 controller works absolutely flawlessly for the job. All I had to do was plug in my controller, go to the joystick configuration menu, and hit "default" and it set it all up for me. My only complaint so far is that the camera is a little more finicky then I remember from the N64 version, but other then that it's a complete blast to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd honestly just roll the dice for $4.79. With Mysteries of the Sith included, that's a very good deal. I had no issues with the Steam version a few years ago, but if I were having your issues I would probably spend the money and give it a try. GOG is very good about these things.

So, the "2nd wave" has hit the beach so to speak, and as I understand it they are planning one more wave of Lucas games. I would assume that Last Crusade will come out since it's been on Steam for years and Fate of Atlantis, which came out 3 years later, is already on GOG. Also, since Dark Forces I and II are now up, I would imagine that Jedi Outcast and Academy are coming as well. They've also been on Steam for years, and they are both excellent. Apart from those, I'm not really sure what else might come... maybe the Force Unleashed games, even though they are rubbish? Rogue Squadron is up and I'm going to grab that on payday as it seems to play well on modern hardware, but Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike didn't get PC releases as far as I know, so I'm not sure what else might come to GOG...

What do you think?

I was personally hoping Battle for Naboo would show up since it's basically more Rogue Squadron. On another note, does anyone know if Starfighter is any good? I remember playing a demo of Jedi Starfighter on the original Xbox and though it was decent.