Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

helno posted:

Also company policy means no adjustable wrenches.

That's going to backfire on them real bad when someone gets frustrated and just starts using the 13 mm on the 1/2" bolts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

That's going to backfire on them real bad when someone gets frustrated and just starts using the 13 mm on the 1/2" bolts

Using an adjustable wrench tends to have the same effect. (Also, anyone doing that kind of work is going to have the appropriate tools for the job available (and even still, Murphy resistant, not Murphy proof, is why you have a machinist on call))

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Slavvy posted:

Unspeakable horror

My Bantam has a bunch of them. You can tell which fasteners the old man had to replace because the wrench actually fits well.

Sagebrush posted:

I tried talking the boss into buying Knipex Pliers wrenches but he felt the were covered by the adjustable wrench policy.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Just pulled some recordings from my Insta360 setup. I was worried it would be such a bouncy shaking mess the footage would be unusable but it seems ok actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52WydFlO1vc

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Cold and snow this weekend. I think it may be a good opportunity to check the valve clearances on the KLX140 (150 hours? I really don't know), KLX300R (~140 hours), and KX250 (45 hours).

I got around to this job this weekend. Last weekend was too cold in the garage.
The 300R had the intake at ~0.005" and the exhaust at ~0.007", at around 150 hours and two years.
The KX has ~45 hours and both intake valves were at 0.005" and both exhaust valves were at 0.007".

Both bikes are at the upper limit of allowable tolerance. I'll check again in 15-20 hours.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spent the day stripping the bike of everything that I can unbolt so I can actually lay things out in order and make a plan for what I’m cleaning/lubing/fixing instead of just doing random things.

Focused on the fuel tank today. I added quick disconnect lines to avoid the absolute shitshow of a low octane sprinkler that getting this tank off was. I clamped the lines off but whoopsie bumped one of the clamps loose muscling the tank around so it was a proper splashfest.

I took the filler cap off and I’m pretty sure that the oring between the filler and tank isn’t the correct part because it’s way too big for the ridge it’s supposed to fit in. How the hell was this ever in there in the first place? I have a sneaking suspicion it never was.

Yanked the throttle cable off to prepare for a new replacement. I thought this would fix a slow-to-return throttle (worn cable) but it was still sticky with the cable dc’d so now I suspect the PO misplaced a bar end washer or something. When I undo the bar end it returns just fine. Oh well, a known-good throttle cable was on my list of things to get to anyway, so I’m happy to be replacing it either way.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 26, 2024

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I took advantage of the first decent weather in weeks and rode for 5 or so hours today.

It is shocking how much of my mental health is wrapped up in how much I get to ride when it's something I didn't really start doing until a few years ago. It's already something I have to do to be well regulated.

Motorbikes good.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Ain't that the truth. It's getting to be the time of year when I'm jonesing for a good long ride pretty severely. The ice is melting right now and should be gone soon if this weather holds and I saw a brave soul on a Kawasaki yesterday but the salt spray just isn't any fun (also unsafe visibility-wise) so I'm waiting for dry asphalt this year I think. It could be a while, or it could be saturday.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I went riding yesterday, the first day after the massive rains ended, and before that two big ice storms, and it was a mess. It was like 63 degrees in Portland, but there are rocks and sand still all over the road and limbs and branches from trees and a bunch of new potholes. I came home and I was actually covered in dirt and my bike looked terrible. Was fun though, I am going out again in a few minutes.

It looks a lot drier out now though, so hopefully that cuts down on the road grime.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Putting it in this thread since the above posts are here...

Last weekend I did a camping out-and-back from Denver to Roswell, because it was as far as I could get before sundown-ish. I have a bunch of moto-camping gear but haven't camped below freezing before.

I left Denver at 4am (-4C) wearing everything I had and went 100 miles before realizing no, it wasn't my imagination, my right grip heater wasn't working.

Hit an important milestone along the way; 2/3 of the way to a new engine:

World's saddest campfire on the bluffs east of Roswell:

Woke up at 5am, I'd started the night feeling warm but the cold had caught up with me too much to sleep more. Popped my head and arm out of the bivvy bag for this pic:

6am Mood. (Got the pic to show my gear all frost-covered but it didn't really show)

I came all this way, might as well get a pic to prove it:

I originally planned on doing the WSMR museum and swinging down to El Paso but I didn't feel like spending another night on the road so I powered through to Denver with all my gear at max wattage and wearing 4 gloves on my right hand.

SpotWalla map link

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Looking at my post I know someone's going to wonder how you wear four gloves on one hand. Here's the solution for a nighttime trip across Colorado without losing feeling in your hands:

• Nitrile gloves, always pack these for chain/greasy work, for a bit of emergency hand-heat, or if your glove gets soaked through
  • Klím Liner 1.0 (yes I'm doing the áccent)
  • Klím Badlands Gore-Tex are amazing 3-season gauntlets
  • Aerostitch Triple Digit glove covers are packed with my rain gear, are annoying to wear, but better than frostbite. This is the second time these have saved me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love love love those Klim liners. I bought a bunch to just wear off the bike too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Expected to roll this milestone 4 years ago but here we are now.

Nearly 200mi loop of NorCal backroad busted twisties. Haven't had a day to burn on motos since I did all the work to this bike 2 months ago.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hail.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Definitely a "two steps forward, one step back" day for me in the shop.

I was trying to figure out why my throttle was sticky and slow to return. I undid the bar end and the throttle tube assembly and managed to work the heated grip wires out enough to pull the tube off the bar only to be greeted with either 30 years of grime, or the PO's attempt to "lube" the throttle tube with white grease. Either way, some kerosene made short work of it and the tube turns smooth as a marble on glass now.

And then while I was putting the bar end back on I was turning the wrench and suddenly felt that gut punch of a feeling when it gets really really easy to turn unexpectedly.

Thankfully it's just the expanding bar end retainer that snapped in half, but it's going to be a pain in the dick to replace because I have to fish the heated grip wires through first. Oh well, plenty of weekends left until spring riding.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The ignition tumbler on my GN125 has worn out to the point that the bike shuts off by itself mid-commute multiple times. Reaching over to twist the key back into the < 0.5 mm contact point left with no divot to hold it has become a reflex action. I got the new tumbler in the mail recently (and the action is so nice. Funny how all of these Chinese parts are higher quality than the OEM, at least at first use/glance). Looking forward to finally changing that out this Thursday, my only day off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The OEM parts are also Chinese :ssh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I released the bottom plate but still couldn't figure out how to unseat the pins. Even tried to stick tweezers into the microscopic holes in the front of this connector hoping it would release some internal latch but they won't budge.

Ordered a replacement pair of six-pos connectors and I'm just going to re-crimp both sides rather than try to figure out how to re-do whatever the hell is going on here. The cable has an unexpected amount of slack that I can cut into so I'm not terribly worried about making it too short.

Hopefully the insulation that's under the sheathing has fared a little better than whatever was exposed to the elements because I'm not really in the mood to tear into the ABS electronics to replace a whole section of the harness.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Supradog posted:

And on my vfr one of the rails of my rear rack is cracked.. See at the rear bolt on the grab handle. Its completely separated. Not sure when it happened. I don't have any detail photos of that area for some months.

I got a new set of givi rack arms in the mail today after a failed delivery of the oem rack. It was only the oem top plate, not the arms so totally useless.

Even with the more ugly design of the givi arms over the oem, it was actually available. So I ordered a givi set with winter rebate prices.

Can you spot the difference? can you say error in design leading to a v2?
New reinforced vs old slim

Proper reinforcement.

I see the other givi v1 arm also had a developing crack.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Replaced the throttle cable, fast idle cable, and clutch cable. In retrospect it would have been much, much faster to pull the left throttle body to route the cable rather than try to fidget around with hemostats and a flashlight trying to seat the cable.

Also re-routed a few electrical cables back to their OEM location. Last electrical thing is to make new connectors for the heated grips, but that's an order of operations thing that I need to wait for the bar end insert to arrive since everything threads through that.

Managed to crack not just one but BOTH rear turn signal plastics. The screw posts snapped off the lenses so I have to epoxy that back together. I can't be too mad at plastic from 1994 being brittle. I'll idly put out feelers on ebay for replacements but I'm not too fussed.

Fingers crossed that the bike is basically back together this weekend.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A few days ago I had an "oh.. oh no.. oh drat it" moment when I realized I had when I removed my TPS to clean the throttle bodies I committed myself to re-zeroing my TPS since it comes factory adjusted.

... subsequently I learned how to re-calibrate my TPS position and did that today. Thankfully it's fairly well documented.

And I realized I ordered the wrong diameter fuel line. At least I can return it.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Followed up the invisible work on my MTS1100 (clearances, belts, filters, clutch stack, etc) with a 14t sprocket swap and replacing the stock mirrors for bar-ends (and relocated indicators).

Funny that despite being so small and so far out of my field of view now, the bar ends are still WAY easier to use than the stock mirrors which were great at one thing: providing a blurry view of my arms.

Anyway, the most interesting thing about the whole endeavour is how much the experience of the bike has changed without the mirror stalks taking up so much real estate ahead of me. I feel like the bike kind of disappears under me now. Big change in experience for a insignificant change in function.

Smaller sprocket is fine in a novelty-value kind of way. It's not exactly like the multi was lacking in torque before.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Putting the motor just that couple of hundred revs higher at any given speed/gear can do wonders for comfort though, Ducati tend to go for really chuggy gears on the air cooled engine.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

some kinda jackal posted:

A few days ago I had an "oh.. oh no.. oh drat it" moment when I realized I had when I removed my TPS to clean the throttle bodies I committed myself to re-zeroing my TPS since it comes factory adjusted.

... subsequently I learned how to re-calibrate my TPS position and did that today. Thankfully it's fairly well documented.

And I realized I ordered the wrong diameter fuel line. At least I can return it.

I also did that when I took my WR carb off to clean it. I removed the tps. It was a huge pain in the rear end to calibrate with a multimeter and super touchy to get it just right.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The minute increments you move the TPS on its mount meant I was never sure if I actually found the zero spot or whether I had overshot it and was introducing slack into the system. In retrospect the process itself is really simple, I just don't have a good reading on how much margin for error there is.

I adjusted the throttle stop screw until it read 350mV but when I crack and snap the throttle it'll randomly return to rest and read 345 or 360 or something. Not sure where that differential is coming in, the throttle cables all feel super loose and there's a tiny amount of cable slack at idle so I'm not sure whether I should be spending time chasing a few millivolts. I also don't have a before/after comparison and the engine felt fine, no surging, etc., so I'm going to probably just leave it as is and worry about fine tuning it after I do the actual TB sync later and get it back on the road to see if this actually matters or not.

Though as much as I complain it's still a lot of fun to try something new. Even the annoying stuff is rewarding after a stressful day at work. Super fulfilling :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 15, 2024

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

Putting the motor just that couple of hundred revs higher at any given speed/gear can do wonders for comfort though, Ducati tend to go for really chuggy gears on the air cooled engine.

Yeah, now that I've had the chance to take it out of the inner-suburban crawl for a bit, I can see it makes a fair difference. It feels more like a fat, slower steering HM now, which I guess it should given that that's what it is.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 16, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Syncted the throttle bodies but I'm going to re-do all the TPS calibration, stop screw set, and balancing once the weather is warmer since my idle is at 1500 which is really high.

Going to wait for nicer weather since I want to first see if I have any air leaks but I just have no real incentive to sit in a cold shed right now. Might order some pre-emptive o-ring replacements while I wait.

And found and unwelcome slow oil weep from where the oil cooler draws or returns to the sump so I'm going to be ordering a new set of crush washers anyway, so might toss a few other preventative consumable parts in which didn't really warrant their own order.

The only thing I'm really fighting with now is the fuel line. I have the right size clamps, but no matter how tight I snug them, there's still a random spritz of fuel here and there, where the quick connector fits into the hose. I can't figure it out, other than maybe the barbs on the quick connectors are trashed and are letting fuel out that way. Kind of confused and I might just remove them altogether since I don't really plan to remove the tank all that often. It's just nice to not have to deal with hose clamps if I DO need to pull the tank since you need to pull the tank for a ton of stupid stuff because thanks BMW, but at the same time it's also nice to not have to deal with random splurts of fuel right literally right over a big hot exhaust header.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I got it serviced.
If anyone in greater Vancouver needs bike servicing, I recommend True Grit Moto. One woman mobile mechanic business, kind of like Slavvy's setup I think. An old Grumman truck outfitted inside for bike servicing. She also has a garage now as well. Really great service and super convenient.
Found out my battery is toast the day of the appointment. Charger shows full but only good for one start. I had a suspicion when I put it on charge earlier. Charged up too fast.
She was going to sell me one but the one she got had a bad reaction and started bloating so she had keep it to return it. No matter, it's an easy thing to replace.
My tires are a little out of shape. Got a slight circumferential ridge, either from running them under inflated for too long (possible, I did do one longish ride with them a bit low last year, but she said extended periods, so not sure), or wonky fork oil (one side more viscous than the other). Either way they're 4 years old at this point, even thought they've got plenty of tread. I think I'll just run them for the season then get a new set in the autumn, and get my fork oil replaced and valves checked while I'm at it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ended up just removing my fuel tank quick disconnects. I can't figure out why they're leaking, so I fixed the leak in the most permanent way possible.

And I found the clutch switch cable peeling sheathing on my other bike so I have to pull it and apply some heat shrink. I guess for now I can just wrap it in electrical tape but that looks really gaudy since it's right there on the handlebar.

So far my only bike with wiring that isn't biodegradable is the DRZ :thumbsup:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Light nap and welp, cracked one of the PA6 fuel tanks.

I welded it back up with a ziptie. I no longer have confidence in taking this museum piece places I have no business being. Pretty sure I can still get (12! gallon) safari tanks on it shipped from Australia.

Alternatively redefine what this bike does and N+1 with a 1290 SAR or someshit. It's 21 years old with 75,000 miles on a bankruptcy era ktm...
I *haaate* all the lcd tablet bullshit tho and don't want more 20+ year old bike problems so something's gotta give.

Bike shopping is the worst.

(Gold wing with a trailer, There's sub 500lb goldwings...right?)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I changed the 2 year old oil on the tiger :stonk:. Tbf it only had like 4k miles on it and wasnt suuuper dark but i need to he less lazy about it. adjusted the chain too. now i just need to order a new chain, sprockets, an air filter, turn signal bulb, drain and replace the coolant and uhhh figure out why my heated grips only work on high.

oh and and give it its annual bath.

oh gently caress have i become the PO?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I took a bus ride and brought the sv650 home from remote winter storage. Tire air was a bit low, chain was a little slack, battery was a bit undercharged but I got those things sorted, plopped the battery in and rode in lovely drizzling mist, though zero precipitation was forecast. Oh well. My previously squeaky clean bike is now dirty but at least it wasn't salty and the bike is home and ready for some nicer weather. I have to get it inspected before April 1st or it will stop being road legal for anything other than a ride to the inspection place but that shouldn't be a problem as long as the weather serves and they actually offer moto inspections, which are currently unavailable for booking this month :(

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'd give it a good rinse, salt hangs around longer than you'd think. It's not as nasty in dry form but until it has rained properly for a good while it is going to get on your bike.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yes, I should wash the bike. I know better than I care to what salt does to my winter commuter e-bike. Nothing that slides or spins lasts long, and I even have some (aluminium) frame rot going on.
The rural roads are pretty nice already since it rained a bunch the last couple of weeks but the urban roads are full of gravel and grime, and the grime stays salty. Really nice local asphalt won't be around until after the first big rain after the second street sweeping so probably sometime in April. Until then it will be a ride-and-rinse sort of life.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

More like the ride for my ride, but I finished building up my new trailer for bike hauling.

Last year I was running a little 4x6, it was just barely long enough for my 390.

With plans for a bigger track bike and wanting to be able to haul my other bikes should I need to, I sold that and picked up a 4x8. It was cheap because it came with a boat and nobody wanted to buy both. I was able to sell the boat pretty quickly so I'm only into the trailer for $100. I like these little utility trailers, they're nice and low so loading isn't sketchy, and light too which is important since I tow with my old Vibe.

It was a bare frame, no floor which is what I wanted anyway so I could build it up just how I wanted. Not in bad shape overall, just some light surface rust and as usual for used trailers, junk wiring and lights.

Stripped off the lights and wiring and gave it a quick wire wheel/spray bomb

Rebuilt the coupler (which was also junk and barely worked) and added a jack

Rewired and new LED tails/marker lights

New deck on, went with 5/4 pressure treated deck boards. Used carriage bolts at the front and rear and wood to metal screws at the crossmembers

Wrapping up: bolted down a wheel chock and plenty of e-track so I'm not married to any tie down points

Made the inaugural run last night picking up my new track bike, it towed great and the bike was rock solid

I still have a few little things to tidy up but it's more or less ready for track season.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That looks lovely!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that came out really well! now I've got the itch to pick up a utility trailer again

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i rode both of them today because it was sunny and in the upper 40s and i thought it would be relatively dry. it wasnt and now both bikes are filthy and so is my gear. owned for real but riding in early march is a rare treat

edit: lol filthy fear lol

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 6, 2024

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Weather today and tomorrow looks fine and asphalt looks dry but nights are still cold. I'm off to work and I want to ride my motorcycle but it's like -3c right now so I think I'll stick to ebikes on studded tires for a while yet. Sadly this weekend when I have time to ride at midday it's supposed to be overcast and cold. Riding in early march is a rare treat indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finally buttoned up the RS!

Workshop is a hot tiny mess, but you work in the space you have available to you, not the one you wish you had.

Just need to do an oil change and replace the brakes and it's off to safety/register.

Have a windshield and mirrors on the way. Also got a replacement cap for the mangled ignition switch cylinder but that requires removing the whole fork bridge and drilling out the cylinder's security bolts so I'm all "ehh" since it's just cosmetic. But since I have some time to kill I might as well.

I'd love to pull the valve cover and give it a re-spray since it's bubbling, but that will definitely wait.

As I was putting it together I found myself trying to rationalize why the fairings are held together with four dzus quick release fasteners and then 4 other regular screws. I could... not... rationalize it :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 6, 2024