Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I have a local shop that is poo poo for anything else, but they have laser cutter and a database of every gasket ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

From one lovely (po) resprayed tail fairing

To one molded in black so that I don't have to respray it every drat trip out.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
Rode it.

How many guys in Minneapolis get to say they rode their bikes on Christmas day? Woo! Short ride, lack of time .. but I sure did miss it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
When I saw the forecast for the days around Christmas, I was joking to another rider at work that if I hadn't put the Bandit away for the winter I could have ridden out to see my folks. Sure enough, saw one guy yesterday on a Ninja heading out to the highway with bags packed & strapped on the back.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
We're going out today. No destination in mind yet, but I'm sure we'll think of something.

The weather is like joke weather at this point. It's not even really raining, and it's almost 50.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Lapped all the valves/seats, installed new springs and new valve seals. Three of my exhaust valves are out of round. Ordered a different oil pan gasket because the Athena rebuild kit came with the wrong one. Painted the clutch cover gold.

I'm very confused about the valves that are bent. There's no evidence of foreign material. Its an 83 and sat for the last ten years. The really bad one should have been obvious to the last guy to adjust valve clearances. poo poo was like two threads off of all the rest.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe the valves rusted shut onto the seats or corroded and stuck to the guides and the initial force needed to shift them bent some stems?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Nah everything rotated smoothly and there is no other damage. The valves look completely fine other than being a little off round.

Bought a used set of 8 off ebay for $30. At least three of those have to be straight, right?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Valve adjustment on the GS today. Only 6 valves were at the tight end of spec which isn't bad seeing as how I doubled the interval this time around due to laziness. Looks drat near brand new in there which is impressive for 70k miles of abuse.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tomorrow, if I get up to it, I have two new Kenda K671 tires, a battery, and a kill switch to install.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Sold my VFR today...

I am sad...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Boatsides are a thing for rock buggies and other 4x4 vehicles.

I started on a boatsided plate for quasimoto.

Stupid bastard has danglies that hang out all over under the frame, and I'm a retard that puts it on rocks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nitramster posted:

Sold my VFR today...

I am sad...

:ohdear:
It's okay though, I have an extra one. :hfive:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

cursedshitbox posted:

Boatsides are a thing for rock buggies and other 4x4 vehicles.

I started on a boatsided plate for quasimoto.

Stupid bastard has danglies that hang out all over under the frame, and I'm a retard that puts it on rocks.

Can you still put the thing up on a crate/stand to work on it? Or does your angled guard thing make it fall off?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:ohdear:
It's okay though, I have an extra one. :hfive:

I'll find you when my finances are back in order!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

Can you still put the thing up on a crate/stand to work on it? Or does your angled guard thing make it fall off?

I'll have to pull the skid to put it on the stand/change the oil.

I could lift it from the skid to access the front wheel though.

E: The ultra effort mode: build a stand/jack attatchment!

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 9, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For those not in the know, that's a ducati ecu/ignitor

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
09 848 ECU. The 848/1098/others run an ECU (5AM) that plugs into the older (59M/5AM ECU) 749/999/others but is not considered to be mated with the immobilizer (aka virgin) in older bikes.

Basically, if the ECU in your 749/999 dies (common) then you're stuck buying a new ECU from Ducati for $1k+, a Nemesis/Microtec ECU for $1k, a used 749/999 ECU + immo removal for $400++, buying an ECU/Cluster/Key set for $700+, or doing what I'm doing now which isn't really documented at all.

The ECU starts the bike - not that I've had it run yet since the battery lets the bike crank over once or twice but is too dead to start the thing. I have to flash it with software from a 749 tomorrow for it to run properly. Assuming everything goes as planned this will have cost me $100.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 9, 2015

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

I'll have to pull the skid to put it on the stand/change the oil.

I could lift it from the skid to access the front wheel though.

E: The ultra effort mode: build a stand/jack attatchment!

Drill access holes for the drain plugs to maximize laziness.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 9, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nitramster posted:

I'll find you when my finances are back in order!

You might have to buy the 900cc one with the HRC cams and unobtanium valves in it. ;)
I'm not sure if I am willing to part with my first VFR.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Whats the consensus on ventholes in skidplates? I've not found any with out em.

420 make chickenshit errday.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

cursedshitbox posted:

Whats the consensus on ventholes in skidplates? I've not found any with out em.

It would seem that the consensus is "skidplates should have vent holes", then.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I thought the holes were to stop water and poo poo pooling in there.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I thought the holes were to stop water and poo poo pooling in there.

Thats what I thought too, but elsewhere I was told it was for "cooling", and it was :siren: required :siren: uh... Its watercooled. I don't think a dozen 1/4" holes are going to make a poo poo of difference in oil cooling.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON COOLING HOLES! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Not only is it water cooled and has the overwhelming majority of the engine above the skid plate, it is also a KLR and therefore doesn't give a poo poo. And neither should you.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ha!

Exactly. Fucker does good to run at its 160* or whatever stupidly low thermostat it has.
I didn't see the point to have it littered with speed holes because that defeats the loving purpose of a skid.

I know what a overheating bike feels like, this ain' it. :v:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
While installing a new Powerlet jack for some heated gear

I noticed that the headlight had gone out. Unfortunately, what was supposed to be about a 10 minute affair turned into about an hour and a half after the retaining clip fell out of its hinge. Of course, I didn't realize that the hinge itself was broken at first, so I fumbled around for about an hour before understanding the complete issue. Since the hinge is a molded part of the reflector, I really did not want to buy / install a new one.

You can see where the retaining clip is held with plastic fingers and captured by a button head screw. And you can also see where two of those fingers have broken off somehow. After fumbling around trying to get it to work with just that single finger, and realizing how much of a PITA this is going to be if I have to deal with it on the road, I set out to fix it with a bent washer.

Related to all of this: I bought some extra bright bulbs and should have realized that the lifetime would be shorter. The back of the box says 85 hours(!) expected. I got about 4 months and 4k miles out of mine. I ended up swapping my stock high beam bulb over to the low beam and using the new high intensity bulb for the high beam. Anyone have recommendations for a decent long life bulb?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Well, this was last week and not today, but I decided to start 2015 right and fix some things that had needed fixing for the last year. New (to me) tank, fuel filter, repainted the tank and front fender, added some risers, rerouted cables, and welded a new steering stop. I should have done all this a long time ago.

Old stop. The damage looks minor, but it was letting the bars hit the tank at the far end of their range:

I'm welding! No one should have let me do this.

Obligatory angle grinder image:

New stop:

End of a good day:

Fun stuff.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
3/5 - Not enough beard. Sparks were OK, but not enough of them. No long-distance, staring off into the distance shots.

That's awesome! How is it all working?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I thought I had enough beard for the both of us! Also, I quit smoking a year ago, so I knew I'd lose points for that. It's kind of difficult to get that wistful look without enough sparks from the grinder and a without cigarette hanging out of your begoggled visage.

She's working wonderfully. It got down to 19°F a few days ago, but since there wasn't any ice, I still rode to work. Of course now I'm sick, but whatever. I'll heal, and that's probably the coldest we'll see this year.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 12, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Got the 749 back together enough to start - it idles/revs with the 848 tune on the ECU. This gives me hope for when I try to flash it tomorrow. Worst case: local selling a Nemesis for $500.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I decided to start dabbling in necromancy:

Reminder: this is what it looked like in 2011. So glad I repainted it and pulled the other poo poo off:

And this is what happened to the paint in just over a year in Phoenix:

(don't have a full-body shot, but all of the paint was horribly chalky to the point where even a wax just soaked in)

"Come back to us..."

The front tire is old, from 2007, so I decided to replace it. The tire I used for the rear a few years ago is a Kenda K671, which I really like as far as cheap 19" tires go, and is 80/20 road/offroad. It wears really well, and gives good wet grip. Plus, I think a bigger front tire would look badass.

After two or three thousand miles of wear, vs new:

Not bad, really. Of course, when you're only pushing 15-25 horsepower depending on the weather, the tire is never under much stress.

Side by side:

Date code:

:stare:

I was riding on this for years:

:stonk:

:catstare:

Unfortunately, after a whole two loving hours of work, it turns out I punctured the innertube, and I can't inflate it. gently caress it, on payday, I'm bringing both new tires (I put the old K671 on in 2010 or 2011 and they're only $50 apiece, so I bought two, date codes 2414 on both) and the wheels to a shop to have them do the tube replacements and mounts. I can't handle any more levering.

Not pictured, I also removed the primary cover to inspect things. I need to replace the gasket. I'm also going to open up the gearbox to replace its gasket and shifter seal (oozes), and to repack with some redline grease (currently has some 00 grease from 2009 in there).

BONUS: I 3D printed some visor clips for the Beetle. The old ones are impossible to find, and I could make these in glow-in-the-dark plastic (the only "white" filament I have on hand." Seriously looks so much better.

(this one has some of the raft I later removed still stuck to it)

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 15, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That tyre, christ. Reminds me of my GL145.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
But it was made in England so it has to be better than your new one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Put 1198 coils in my 749 since they are cheap as gently caress, but no one knew if they worked or not in older bikes. They work.

Here are three coils side by side.

Left to Right
1198 - Updated 749/999 w/ pigtail - Early 749/999

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 16, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do the different gen coils have different dwell at all?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Dwell?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The amount of time an ignition coil spends charging up; this is mechanics 101 but nobody thinks about this poo poo anymore because ignition systems are fire and forget now. When you adjust points on an old timey distributor, you're actually adjusting the dwell.

When it comes to integrated coils, the engine ecu determines dwell (at least in cars, bikes may be different and I wouldn't know) in a general sense, but different coils have different amounts of dwell for a given voltage depending on application. I knew one autist who switched his RX8 to use hummer H2 or H3 (can't remember which) coils because they had a different dwell.

Being for engines of drastically different character and era and emissions targets, the Pani coils might have different dwell to the factory ones and this might be worse or better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You're talking about how much time the computer gives the coil before collapsing the field, right? How would that be influenced by the coil, though? That's the computer and the rpm and etc. The coil just steps up voltage. They make coils with different windings for different voltage output maybe?