Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gnaghi posted:

Afterwards I went for a ride and noticed the engine sounded weird as hell, like a howling noise. I thought maybe it might be the spark plug since a CR9EIX was in there instead of the CR9EK that's supposed to be, but it turns out it's the skiplate! Apparently they're notorious for reflecting the engine noise back up to the rider. I might end up taking it off cause it's pretty annoying, probably hell on the highway.
If there's room, you could probably just line the inside of the plate with half an inch of bonded foam to get rid of the sound reflection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yesterday I pulled the upper fairings off my scooter to fix an annoying play in the steering. It's all plastics that lace together in mysterious ways meaning there's exactly one way to put it together again and if you get it wrong it won't fit, even though it looks like it should.

So ten minutes pulling the fairings off, two minutes tightening the guilty bolt and forty minutes plus a whole lot of cursing and two pinched/cut fingers to put it back together.

And today I noticed the speedometer no longer works. :saddowns:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I fixed the speedometer on my scooter, so now I'm road legal again. :toot:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I fixed the speedometer on my scooter, so now I'm road legal again. :toot:

Welp, spoke too soon. The annoying grinding noise that I experienced before the speedo stopped working last time is back. On the up side, now I know where it's coming from and why. Guess I need to find a new reduction gear.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fixed my brake light. Turned out the connector at the brake handle had wiggled loose. Pushed it back on and gave it an extra squeeze to keep it there.

I'm a bit disappointed actually, I was totally ready to tear into the bike with a multimeter chasing some elusive ground fault.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:stare: Brb, making sure my axle nut is tight and secure.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gave it a wash, put it up on the pit stand and tucked it in for winter. We've had 40-50cm worth of snow the past week, so no more riding until spring. :(

...unless I get a DRZ or something with winter tires. :getin:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Does Toyota still make the Sienna? If so, that. I had so much fun in one during high school.

Was the candy any good?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've been taught to always pre fill the oil filter, on any car or bike. Just seems like a logical thing to do.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Went to take the TURBO on it's maiden voyage after calling it my own. Stopped by a friend's house to show it off in all it's glory, went to leave and just like in looney tunes, the ignition barfed out springs, plates and little copper pieces all over his driveway. Welp. The bottom retainer thingy's tabs are all sheared off, so new ignition + keys $50 from the fabulous ebay.

:unsmith:
When I got my first bike I was on vacation, so I went to have lunch with my coworkers and rode my new bike there.. Then when I was about to leave, and had my coworkers watching me I couldn't get it started.. Fiddled with it for a few minutes then realized I had stopped it using the kill switch instead of the key. :downs:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I discovered a weird noise from my bike just after I had gotten my garage spot last year, it was like a high pitched ringing noise from the front of the bike that only showed up at certain combinations of speed and rpm, and not consistently either. I spent about a week worrying something was about to break and trying to track it down before I found it was the garage door key jingling against the steering head. :downs:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Could have been worse...
Fast forward to 9:50.
http://youtu.be/eVw5H_ldMKY
:gonk: That's got to hurt.

Brb, checking my peg bolts.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Let's get serious.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hooked up a charging socket with built in charge meter. Fits neatly around the tool bag, too. Pleasantly surprised that the battery seems to have done well during the winter without a trickle charger hooked up, since I have no mains near my parking spot.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 27, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

My new, heavy-duty cam chain got here today. It is wrapped in a piece of paper that kindly informs me, in English and Japanese, that the cam chain should not be eaten. :japan:
Reminds me of the Playstation 1's manual, which helpfully reminded you that the controller should only be used with your hands, and you should not attach it to your face.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That helmet. :rolleye:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Washed it, discovered an annoying grinding noise from the rear wheel when I turn it over slowly. At first I thought it was the chain, but it remained even after cleaning the chain, so now I'm worried it's coming from the axle or bearings. The bearings feel fine when trying to twist the wheel though.

Also went over the bike with a bottle of Novus and magiced all the small scratches away.

e: And I finally found a handlebar mount for the phone bag, which means I get to practice my U-turns less often. :v:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 8, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You should have made it say "BACK IT IN"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't see the problem.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

In other news, my chain broke at about 4mph today. Sudden loss of power, increase in noise, and a thwack on the boot. It's fine. I'm just going to think happy thoughts that all the metal shavings on the swingarm are from the rollers disintegrating and not from the chain munging the inside of the clutch cover. Parts have been on order since yesterday. It's all relatively downhill to the shop from here.
Out of curiosity, how old/beat up was your chain before it broke?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Trials, more than any other sport, is just one long sustained "gently caress You" to the laws of physics.

Also they used to have kids trials on BBC on Saturday mornings with the single best theme tune in the history of television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFlmEznsr2w
Reply from way back, but I thought I recognized that tune...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP4yJDGHZBc&t=36s

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So what's the points cost going to be? :allears:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Decided to put the passenger grips back on because the Ninja 650 has almost nowhere to tie down a bag without them. In the process I managed to lose one of the screws that held the blind plates on into the darkness of the subframe plastics. :mad: Couldn't find it and eventually I gave up. I bet I'll find it once it manages to wiggle out of there and end up embedded in my rear tire.

Or I'll just have to pull the plastics off.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bought a telescoping magnet and fished the lost screw out of the subframe, then sat on the bike for ten minutes making vroom vroom noises. gently caress snow. :(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I believe it was someone here who wrote something like, a kickstart bike will always start on the first kick when no-one is around, and it'll always be hard to start when anyone is looking.
First time I showed my bike to my coworkers I couldn't get it started. After a minute or so of embarassed swearing I remembered the killswitch. :downs:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

(Also, copper crush washers melt really easily when you're trying to anneal them for reuse)
Crush washers are like a dollar each, stop being cheap.

e: Changed the oil in my bike last weekend. Someone didn't get the memo that says "hand tighten only" for the oil filter. Almost knocked the bike over trying to pry the old filter loose. :argh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Invariably if I buy exactly how many I need of something (crush washers, weird bolts, gaskets, fluids, etc) I will need one more immediately. If I go and buy a pile of extras, everything will go perfectly and I'll never need to use the rest of them.
Alternatively you'll put the rest in A Good Place That I'll Remember and never find them again.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Aka the poor man's impact driver.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

adary posted:

So I washed my bike, cleaned it up, polished it, and then got in the car with my wife to go see friends. Once we got there it started raining and I remembered how I failed to put the cover back on the bike. After all it's May and it never rains in May in Israel ...
Did you forget that washing your vehicle is a surefire way to make it start raining?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tighten to approximately "it's not going to fall off" newtonmeters.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've got one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GIVI-S950-M...universal+phone

Works fine (touchscreen even worked after a fashion) and comprehensively waterproof, although because it obscures the front camera/light sensor it meant the screen was too dark to see most of the time - YMMV depending on phone model.
I have a similar case and my phone (Google Nexus 4) overheated and shut down after about 45 minutes in typical swedish summer weather (i.e. 15C and a light drizzle). I manually set the screen brightness to max otherwise it would be impossible to see. No bluetooth headset so I have to rely on watching the screen.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yousomuscle posted:

I changed my oil for the first time today, I feel very proud of myself and also covered in filth.
Engine oil is the working man or woman's hand lotion.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

New tires (PR4), new chain, new sprockets. :toot:

Had the shop do it for me since I don't have the tools to change/balance tires and if they have the wheels off already it's easy for them to do the chain at the same time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Out of curiosity, what's the waxy substance on the circuit board?

Am I correct in guessing it's to support the capacitors and other through-hole components so they don't vibrate and crack their solder?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

M42 posted:

My bike is affectionately called "piece of poo poo"
Mine is just "the bike" because I only have one. :smith:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Swapped in a new battery. Feels like the bike is a lot more willing to deliver power now, especially at low RPMs. Never realized how much difference a good spark does.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 18, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

EX250 Type R posted:

What I did to my ride: Put new chain adjusters on the xr100

What my ride did to me:

I pinched the tip of it between the swing arm and the wheel while pulling the axle and my finger split right where it meets the finger nail.
Late to the party, but I did a similar thing when I sliced my finger open on the sharp edge of a telecom rack a few years ago.. New building, first aid stations not installed yet, not even toilet paper in the bathrooms.

I cut a strip off one of my socks and wrapped it with electrical tape. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Put it in a storage unit for two weeks, because my garage is getting renovated and I wasn't allowed to keep it in the garage at work for that long. October in Sweden means pissing rain every day, so it's not like I would be doing much riding anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Started it up for the first time of the year. Battery was still strong despite having been off the charger for months. Checked the oil, lubed the chain, wiped the garage dust off. Weather tomorrow looks promising. Fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Make sure it has decent probes though. I got a small cheap one and it only has permanently attached needle probes, which sucks if you need to fiddle with something and watch the meter at the same time.

You want one that comes with at least needles, alligators and hooks.