Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Adjusted the valves, adjusted the cam chain tensioner, and tried to install the stock airbox. gently caress that. Seems fine with the pods on it. I just need to get the correct size so they aren't squished between the frame and carb, and blocking the choke.

MSF next weekend. Can't wait to ride this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Replaced the rigged up toggle switch the PO was using for an ignition switch with an OEM keyed one off ebay for $11. Why the gently caress would you go through all the trouble of soldering up some lovely switch when replacements are that cheap? At least he didn't gently caress the harness up and the replacement took all of 5 minutes to plugin.

Fine southern craftsmanship ahead.:bahgawd:

Also the combo of oil and sugar sand has been blasted off the bike.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

How tall are you?

I lubed up my clutch cable last night. :feelsgood:
Still waiting on a replacement front caliper. Shipping anything from the west coast to FL takes forever.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Rode 80+ miles this weekend after previously only neighborhood and parking lot riding . It was wonderful. :unsmith:

Rode to harbor freight to get a heat gun and some goo gone to make short work of removing the side decals off the 250.

Pulled the stock bars off the CB and test fit the Euro bars. I like em. Going to be a pain to drill the holes though.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Ripped the carbs apart, dipped them in Berryman's. Wire run through all the little bits. Tank is electrolysis cleaning right now. Red Kote tank liner is on the way. New petcock strainer, and fuel lines ordered. I'm tired of this thing running fine one day and poo poo the next. Something was depositing little specks of black grit in the carbs, found in the bowls days after a basic cleaning. If this doesn't stop it I am going to burn it to the ground.

The replacement K seat fits much better than the F seat did. Just need to get a new cover for it.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I can tell you red kote beats POR15. POR15 isnt bad, but having done them both, the red kote is much easier to apply and clean up.

and not one positive thing about Kreeme on the entire internet. Everything I read said it peels off the inside of the tank. The last feature I was looking for in a product to prevent fuel from being contaminated.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

n8r posted:

There is no reason to coat the inside of a tank if you keep gas that is at worst only a year old.

Tank is 36 years old. It's a little rusty, I am doing my best to remove the rust. If I miss some rust I would prefer it not end up in my carb again so I am coating it to try and prevent rust from flaking off in the future. I'm not coating so I can run vintage gas.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

New mirrors, not sure I like them. They are a little wide, but the visibility is much better. I have some Renthal bars on the way (Bikebandit shipping:argh:). If they will work without bar end weights I will probably get bar end mirrors. Love them on my CB.

Also ditched the wind screen that shot wind right at my throat.

Edit: Those signals are pretty terrible.

OEM

Aprilia

BlackLaser fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 12, 2012

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Installed some new bars and grips. Way more comfortable than the stock setup. Went for a nice long ride.

Renthal road medium bars.

Tampa Skyline off in the distance.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

I put 3 psi of air in the front tire. Holy poo poo bikes are sensitive to pressure changes. 3 psi and the bike felt like it was a death trap.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

How so? I am curious because some folks here make it sound like normal stuff like riding without a windshield turns a bike into a death trap (omg bugs).

On my bike (919) it made the front end feel unsettled. Any slight input made the bike want to dart left or right. Hard to explain, but it made the bike feel like I could loose the front end very easily. Almost like something was loose in the front fork assembly. Really I was just shocked how much difference that amount of pressure in the tire made to handling.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Put on a used pair of Delkevic slipons last night, PAIR block off plates last weekend and bypassed the intake flapper.

A rear stand should be waiting for me at home so I can get the chain changed out. I will probably do the 17/44-520 conversion while I'm at it. Pretty sure this is the original 18,000 mile chain. Then brake pads front and rear.

70F is cold for Florida. I might have to put my liner in my jacket. :qq:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Got my new stand in last week. I bought the Moto Stance M-6 rear stand on sale from Motorcycle Superstore for $70. No spool option on my 919 the universal swingarm mounts work fine. I've never used a stand before. I don't know what other stands do that make them worth twice as much, but this one works fine for me.

Cleaned up the bike and finished tweaking the second hand Delkevic slipons. Changed the oil and filter. Adjusted lubed the chain.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

the walkin dude posted:

Very nice! How do the Delkevics sound?

Perfect with the silencers installed. Sounds like a bike instead of a sewing machine now. I had some free debaffled mufflers previously and they were terrible. Lasted maybe 500 miles before I couldn't take it anymore.

not mine obviously
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNnFZXjae6o

Removed the Tuono mirrors and scavenged a bar end mirror from my oil pissing CB550. Bike looks better without the big ears on it. I'll have to ride it to verify, but loved the bar end on the CB.

Have to pull the CB550 engine this winter and go through it.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Took off the Pilot Powers that the PO had on my 919. They were completely hosed since buying the bike by the PO running them too low I think. Squared off on the rear, raised center ridge on the front. New set of Pilot Road 3's. I never really felt confident in turns and couldn't figure out exactly why. It's all better now.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Rode what is probably the twistiest road in FL. http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/163/Florida/The-Ozello-Trail-Ride.html

Took a lovely cell phone pic.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

AncientTV posted:

I was thinking of taking a day trip down there some weekend. How good was it, as far as road quality, traffic, cops etc. goes?

It has the most turns in a 10 mile ride I have found in FL so far. Most rides I've been on are a couple miles of boring straight with a few sweepers. Ozello has a much better variety of turns. Decreasing radius etc. You really don't have to go too fast to enjoy it. Road is in pretty good shape for the environment it's in. I'm sure it floods sometimes. Be careful of sand on the road. I've been out there 3 times this year and the traffic has been light midday on a Saturday, and not one cop. Ride starts off at this gas station and dead ends in the gulf. http://bit.ly/11hniOH

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

I commuted on it for the first time and only almost died three times. Once from a fine gentleman in a caprice donk. bugsbunnyflorida.gif etc.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Thanks! They're pretty sharply priced so I'll get them soon. I've got a line on renthals so if I can be bothered I'll get those. Interestingly my instruments are the opposite of yours; I have chrome instrument housings with black plastic rings!

I had road mediums and Tuono mirrors on mine. I'm old and didn't want low bars. I didn't like the mirrors and went to CRG bar end mirrors.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Slavvy posted:

How do your bar-ends secure to the bike? Mine bolt to the weight inserts inside the bars. These inserts are only held in place by rubber o-rings so the mirrors constantly spin around. I'd like a better solution but I don't see how it would work.

I don't have the 919 anymore, but the mirrors clamped to the outside of the handlebar.
Like this:

Actually I think that has an insert in the bar that it clamps to, but you get the idea.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Concours 14 maintenance day. Oil and filter change. Hydraulic fluid flush and 6 new speed bleeders (brake and clutch). Rear diff fluid change. Replaced the lower right plastic damaged in a tip over in the driveway last year. Long pine needles are like walking on roller bearings. :blush:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

monsterzero posted:

Linked brakes? I think about un-linking the brakes on my VFR every time I have to bleed them but will never actually do it because effort.

Yup linked brakes. They don't really bother me. I notice them, but it's not a big deal to me. I think all of the ways to remove the linked system messes with either the ABS or the traction control in some way.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

monsterzero posted:

Oh, I love the effect of the brakes when riding. The rear brake basically becomes a 'settle suspension' button under almost all circumstances, but it's just a bitch and a half to bleed. Do you use a vac/pressure bleeder or just squeeze the levers? Do the speed bleeders make it significantly easier?

I just put on the speed bleeders and pumped a couple reservoirs of fluid through each caliper using the levers. Ran hose from the bleeders to a container with fluid in it to prevent air from getting back in. I also put speed bleeders at the top to bleed the lever end of the system. Bled the calipers then the levers. No issues as far I can tell.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Finally sprung for a Pitbull headlift stand to get the front Q3 mounted on my ZX-6. Jennings GP opens back up in September. Have a bunch of gear to buy still, but hoping to get to my first trackday before the year is out.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Snapped a bolt off that is made of the finest Italian cheese in my swing arm while installing new spools. Easyout isn't' working. I guess I'll drill and tap for 8mm spools. :argh:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Replaced the stock 16 tooth front sprocket with a 15 tooth on my rsv4. Night and day difference with low speed riding and taking off from a stop.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Sold my RSV4 finally. It's off to Tennessee where there are curves and hills. First bike I was actually sad to see go.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Did the 600 mile oil change and went for a ride.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

Looks sharp - you going to ride these tires until they're toast or are you planning on putting TKC80s or some other knobbies on soon?

Probably keep them for a while. Woods are full of hunters that don't like people making noise right now. I might try the Metzler Karoo 3's. Also need some crash bars.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

kenny powerzzz posted:

Your thoughts on the bike at 600 plus miles now?

I haven't done any real off road yet with the stock tires other than the graded roads through the woods. Mostly sand down here so I don't want to push my luck. Just country roads and a couple short blasts on the highway so far.

The engine is fun with a broad torque curve. It makes a really nice sound compared to my other 4 cyl bikes. More of a vtwin than parallel twin sound. I might even say it's a Honda engine with some character. My 4 cyl bikes always felt like the were dying to be revved and ridden aggressively. The AT is fun to ride around without a constant urgent feeling. It cruises at 80+ MPH with power to spare. Accelerates quickly up to 100+ for a pass on the highway. I don't feel it needs more power at all. Little to no vibrations and no hand numbness yet.

Comfort is shockingly good. The stock windshield blocks enough so my neck isn't sore but lets enough air around my head to keep me cool. The seat is the best stock seat I've sat on. There is a bit of heat coming through but it's minimal. I can vary leg position to get some air on them or protect them. The ability to easily stand up while riding is also great for comfort. I find myself going home because I'm done riding not because something is sore. Curious how it will be on a longer trip. So far 200 miles in a day with no soreness at all. Every other bike I've owned something always hurt after a long ride and maybe a bit the next day. Seat height is kind of tall for me, but works well in the low position. I'm 5'11" with more torso than legs.

Handling is better than I thought a 21" front would be. I'm a pretty mellow rider and I've already had the confidence to use most of the tire. The front really dives under braking, but I'm sure i can dial it back some with some adjustments.

The only two minor issues I have is with the tiny stock foot pegs, and no center stand as standard. This can be resolved with $200 for the stock Honda stand and whatever for some foot pegs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

kenny powerzzz posted:

Nice, thank you. I want to replace my 990 adv with one maybe next summer and until I can get some seat time it's nice to hear real world info. I have large feet and I don't want to go without a center stand so those are both things I'd have to address. The 990 has tons of power but I really don't use it most of the time and it's so snatchy and raw I could use something a little more refined. I wonder what the weight difference is between the two?

990 ADV is about 460 pounds depending on model. AT is 503 pounds non-DCT. It doesn't feel that heavy at all. I haven't had to pick it up yet though.