Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
but also racks are cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gullous posted:

How long are you going? It's easier if you have friends to distribute tools and cooking gear.

I'm just planning a couple 1-2 night trips for now. I'll try strapping my stuff to the back and see how it holds up.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I forget how much it costs, but I recommend the pro moto billet rack if you go that route. Kind of wish I stripped all that stuff from mine when I sold it to pass on.

E: ouch, $140 at amazon, for some reason I was thinking it was like $90

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 5, 2017

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'll keep an eye on CL for it. I don't think I want to buy it new right now. Any word on your road trip?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Not yet. Wife's worried about me doing the trip solo, but I'm working in convincing her that I can do it if I get a Spot or Inreach in case of emergencies. I'll be riding to KY in a couple weeks, so that should help tell me if doing longer distance days is doable. Longest ride I've had on it so far is only about 4 hours.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I got this bad rear end rack for my DRZ:

Bit spendy at 190. I ended up just sticking a Givi mount on it anyway because gently caress messing around with straps.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
that's pretty pricey duder, for 190 i got my rack + a rotopax gas can mount and can

https://www.pmracks.com/products.php?id=19

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Razzled posted:

that's pretty pricey duder, for 190 i got my rack + a rotopax gas can mount and can

https://www.pmracks.com/products.php?id=19

Nice, wish I would have seen that before. Were they around a few years ago?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

JB50 posted:

Nice, wish I would have seen that before. Were they around a few years ago?

yeah just pretty low key, there's lots of these little pissant fab shops that sell random drz poo poo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My dudes

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Top rack came from a guy on TT that makes em. Side cases/top box are from a 990adv. I cut the racks up and rebuilt em to fit the drz. Have had 150lb in them so far. Wheelies are lol with that weight. haha

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:allears: There is just something so special about supermotos with luggage on them. Supermotos are the ultimate in form following function.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QUDTANQB3M

extra mini supermoto racing

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Guy I ride with has a crf250r that he puts panniers on when it's not on the track. gently caress that thing isnfast, that is until he blew the engine up.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Question: What's the best way to source supermoto rims? I want to throw a set on my CRF250R because it turns out there's gently caress-all for dirtbike riding in Wisconsin, but we do have kart tracks that do supermoto days. Is my best bet to scour eBay or Craigslist? What's a good width for fronts and rears?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

T-Square posted:

Question: What's the best way to source supermoto rims? I want to throw a set on my CRF250R because it turns out there's gently caress-all for dirtbike riding in Wisconsin, but we do have kart tracks that do supermoto days. Is my best bet to scour eBay or Craigslist? What's a good width for fronts and rears?

rifkin can probably best answer this but i seem to recall him buying cbr250 rims and adapting them for his crf somehow. barring that, warp 9s probably

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I've never really thought of using alloys from something else. I guess what I'm wondering if I can snag 17" rims and lace them to stock hubs or not, rather then buying a hilariously expensive set of ~supermoto~ wheels.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
https://motoxindustries.com/products/Honda-Supermoto-Conversion-Kit

this is the most complete set up for the money that I have found but I have yet to be given permission to order it so ymmv

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
Finally ordered tires and spokes to finish converting my KLX. Went with Pilot Power 2CTs and Buchannan's for the spokes. Thank god I just got paid for all my unused PTO from my old job.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The dealer has a discount on the DRZ-SM and they're offering me over KBB for my FZ07. Money isn't super an issue but just curious, what's the better bike? My riding is 100% surface streets in LA with some lanesplitting on the freeway. I got a Miata for longer trips.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Would you like to do any light off-roading at all? Do you ever take any spirited jaunts down the freeway when not commuting in deadlock lane-splittable traffic? The biggest question is, do you prefer your wheelies to be at 30 mph or 50 mph?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

tjones posted:

Would you like to do any light off-roading at all? Do you ever take any spirited jaunts down the freeway when not commuting in deadlock lane-splittable traffic? The biggest question is, do you prefer your wheelies to be at 30 mph or 50 mph?

When I bought the Yamaha I didn't do any wheelies because it was my only vehicle at the time and I couldn't afford to crash it. Still haven't done stunts or anything. The SoCal sumo class is super appealing to me.

I can wheelie bicycles? Lol

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
DRZ will be poo poo on the freeway compared to the FZ07 but more fun pretty much everywhere else. If you're on surface streets 90% of the time, go for it

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

When I bought the Yamaha I didn't do any wheelies because it was my only vehicle at the time and I couldn't afford to crash it. Still haven't done stunts or anything. The SoCal sumo class is super appealing to me.

I can wheelie bicycles? Lol

If you buy a motard you don't worry about crashing because they just keep on going.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Kim Jong ill posted:

If you buy a motard you don't worry about crashing because they just keep on going.

Oddly enough my DRZ is the only motorcycle Ive owned that Ive not dropped or crashed in my near 20 years of riding.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

I've crashed mine three times, I've spent about $60 replacing the top handle bar mount and a few hours sanding scratches out of the plastics.

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

If I got a wr250r, would all I need to do to it is put street tires on? I want a tard so bad. Theres loads of WR's in my area but 0 DRZ's

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The gearing is a little tall on the '11 WR250R I bought for hooning, so I got a bigger rear sprocket and did the usual air box/EFI mods/exhaust system for more powah :science:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hawg why not get a wr250x? It's the stock sumo version of the wr

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

hot sauce posted:

Hawg why not get a wr250x? It's the stock sumo version of the wr

If it's anything like my area, there are never any WRx's laying around or they're priced very high.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Every time I see a WR250x go up on Craiglist for less than $5K it's gone in two days - mileage, year, or condition don't seem to matter.

I chatted with the Yamaha rep at demo days today and asked him what it would take to get Yamaha to bring the 660 sumo stateside or start selling a WR450x, and his answer was "thousands more buyers". He asked why I didn't just buy a new WR450F and sumo it myself, which is a good question, but I'd be looking at something like $11 or 12 large to do it ($8500 + tax for the bike, plus new wheels and tires, etc.), and no warranty. Getting close to KTM territory there.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 24, 2017

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I had the exact same conversation with the local Yamaha rep up in Canada at the last motorcycle show. To buy a new WR450F in the frozen Tundra that is Alberta and convert it to a street legal sumo I would be looking at $14k CDN.

New husky 701 supermotos sell for $11k here.

It's loving stupid.

Worse yet, our used market on Enduro or motocross bikes that can be legally converted here cost at the most, $2k less than what the new ones do.

It's a super lovely situation all around.

Edit: phone posting spelling errors

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 24, 2017

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Revvik posted:

If it's anything like my area, there are never any WRx's laying around or they're priced very high.

Yup

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Selling my DRZ on Craigslist has been a nightmare (surprise!). Lots of "that costs too much / Will you take half price plus a Hi-Point" kinda responses.

Last night took the cake when some guy offered me a single iPhone 5 OR a PS4 for the entire bike. I'm frustrated, my friends.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have an iPhone 6 I can offer for it. Not like that other lowballing scum

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I got some AR15s and gixxer parts plus cash on ur side. lmk if ur intrested.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 14, 2017

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Someone offered me a riding lawnmower for my DRZ. I've been having better luck with Facebook marketplace to be honest.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm tempted to try it. BTW, I replaced it with an FZ-09 just like you :haw:

Mark David Chapman
Jul 25, 2011

robotsinmyhead posted:

Selling my DRZ on Craigslist has been a nightmare (surprise!). Lots of "that costs too much / Will you take half price plus a Hi-Point" kinda responses.

Last night took the cake when some guy offered me a single iPhone 5 OR a PS4 for the entire bike. I'm frustrated, my friends.

I've had my XR650R Supermoto posted on my local CL for 2 months and the best offer I've got is a trade for a African Grey parrot. I loving hate CL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Someone just offered me a '13 klr trade even though my ad says specifically no trades. I haven't even gotten any sweet gun trade offers yet.

• Locked thread