Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Major patch goes live on Tuesday, February 21st!

14 Day Trials at http://ac.turbine.com/ You have to put in a credit card number, but you can cancel at any time without being billed.

Asheron's Call is a fantasy MMO that was developed and released by Turbine Entertainment in 1999. With free monthly patches, Asheron's Call has had over 100 content updates in the 12 years since its release.

The game takes place in the land of Dereth. Asheron Realaidain is a Yalaini mage and central character in the story of Asheron's Call. His research into portal magic inadvertently led to the demise of his people, thanks in part to Gaerlan for leaving a gateway open on the Olthoi home world. Virindi tampering would later lead to portals appearing on planets that the Yalaini had once explored, including Ispar. Ispar is the name of the planet where humans originate from. Ispar is the name of the only known landmass on this world, and is thus the name of the world. Ursuin, rats, cattle, and rabbits are also from Ispar. Humans from Ispar are known as Isparians. The four heritages (Aluvian, Gharu'ndim, Sho, and Viamontian) currently found in Dereth on the planet Auberean are all Isparians.

There's a lot more to it than that, but that's the basic summary of events. The four main races of the game were pulled through a one-way portal from their world to the world of Auberean, and thrust into a war for survival against the Olthoi, a race of giant bugs. The lore in this game is deep, and you can spend your entire gaming experience just figuring it all out if you'd like to. The lore is pretty good, and doesn't include a lot of the go-to fantasy tropes like dragons, elves, and so on.

Players can choose from 10 different races for their character:
-Aluvian
-Gharu'ndim
-Sho
-Viamontian
-Shadow (Umbraen)
-Shadow (Panumbraen)
-Gear Knight
-Undead
-Empyrean
-Aun Tumerok

In the past, there were major differences between these races. With the upcoming February patch, these differences have been removed, so races are now largely a cosmetic and roleplaying choice.

As you kill creatures in the world, you will gain Skill Points which can be spent to increase any of your skills. Instead of cookie-cutter "mage" or "melee" templates, you have full control over what your character can and can't do in the world (sometimes to your detriment!). Current skills are raised with Skill Points, while skills such as "Bow" or "Magic Defense" are purchased via Skill Credits. You initially have 50 Skill Credits to work with, and will gain more on your way to the maximum level of 275. If after creation, you discover you made a mistake in selecting your skills, or if you want to specialize additional skills, you can do so with different Skill Redistribution quests. While it may take some time to move things around, your character template is never set in stone.

Asheron's Call has 9 servers:
-Darktide
-Frostfell
-Harvestgain
-Leafcull
-Morningthaw
-Solclaim
-Thistledown
-Verdantine
-Wintersebb

Darktide is a PvP server. No matter where you are on the server, you can be attacked by any other player regardless of level difference. The other 8 servers are PvE servers. Asheron's Call has excellent PvP, and Darktide is currently the most populated server. Frostfell is the most populated PvE server, and Verdantine is the least populated PvE server.

There is no instancing in this game. That means personal housing occupies the landscape. There are 4 kinds of housing. Single room apartments, cottages, villas, and mansions. A monarch can own a villa or a mansion and the entire monarchy has access to it. It's the place to meet up and hang out. Housing is the only SAFE SPOT in the entirety of AC PvP and often gets a bad rap for destroying the hardcore aspect of PvP, however, for new guys, this is a good thing. Often, if monarchies are in a war, people will camp the outside of the mansion, so don't jump out! There is plenty of room for housing in the land of Dereth. Despite its size, there are no instances. It's seamless.

Asheron's Call has features. Asheron's Call has a lot of features. To save space, a number of features and other miscellaneous things from the ACCWiki are linked below.

Patch History
Game Mechanics
Quests
Creatures
Items
Weapons
Armor
Loot
Housing
Crafting
Salvage
Tinkering
Points of Interest

On Tuesday, February 21st, Turbine is making major changes to the game.

February Update Summary Post

If you're a returning player to Asheron's Call, read through Turbine's post to get an idea of everything that's being changed. It's a lot. If you're new to the game, here's the gist of it - almost everything is changing. A ton of new skills are being put in, which means there will be many new players running around leveling up, collecting new weapons and armor, and figuring things out. Server populations are expected to be higher now than they've been in years, with a large number of players resubscribing for this update.

Chakron fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

I miss this game so much. I don't know why they didn't make AC2 just AC1 with updated graphics, instead they created the death of the franchise

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Yeah, I particularly liked how local chat didn't work for the first few months of AC2, and Microsoft wouldn't let Turbine fix it properly.

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

I tried going back but it sucked. The graphics are crazily dated and there are high level people wanking off one another all over the place.

Although, if there was enough goon interest, and enough people who know what the gently caress they are doing joined in, it could be worthwhile.

TheWylie
Sep 12, 2005

by The Finn
whats the max level these days? 240? Yeah were not going to be ganking ANYTHING, that said id be willing to jump back in just for giggles and nostalgia but I cant afford it right now

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Max level is 275. Although that isn't saying much, you could have a lot more than 126 levels of experience before.

I used to run with a guy, when he was level 90 he would regularly beat level 180+ people. That's not to say we won't get our asses kicked (we will).

TheWylie
Sep 12, 2005

by The Finn
gently caress i wanna play now, I dont have a debit card though at the moment, if someone makes me an account and removes their information i will give them an age of conan account!

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Well, I've created my trial account and will be downloading the client update while I sleep. We'll see how things look tomorrow.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I'll play if there's enough interest. I played the poo poo out of this when I was younger and came back for a few months last year.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Get some hollow weapons before 20 and hangout at the training area. Low level pvp used to be so much fun just hanging around the lifestone talking poo poo and watching out for Bloods.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
God I loved this game so much. Nothing has compared since sadly.

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

Chakron posted:

Max level is 275. Although that isn't saying much, you could have a lot more than 126 levels of experience before.

I used to run with a guy, when he was level 90 he would regularly beat level 180+ people. That's not to say we won't get our asses kicked (we will).

What the hell, I remember back in the day there was only one dude who was level 126 (I think his name was TimtheEnchanter or something like that)and he wasn't particularly strong, he was more of an oddity and not very strong

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

VirtualReality posted:

What the hell, I remember back in the day there was only one dude who was level 126 (I think his name was TimtheEnchanter or something like that)and he wasn't particularly strong, he was more of an oddity and not very strong

That was when the game was at it's best, when 50+ was considered to be very high level.

I remember the day TimTheEnchanter hit 126 oddly enough. He was a gimped as gently caress sword/mage 1st gen character I think.

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

Blacknose posted:

That was when the game was at it's best, when 50+ was considered to be very high level.

I remember the day TimTheEnchanter hit 126 oddly enough. He was a gimped as gently caress sword/mage 1st gen character I think.

Yeah, I actually was there for that now that I remember. It was like a server event, everyone came to see him level up. :lol:

RIP Frostfell :(

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Frostfell (aside from DT) was the best server. Also it had the advantage of being the hardware they ran beta on, so it was over a year older than the other hardware and thus less stable :buddy:

Logic
Jan 8, 2009

Blacknose posted:

Frostfell (aside from DT) was the best server. Also it had the advantage of being the hardware they ran beta on, so it was over a year older than the other hardware and thus less stable :buddy:

Wrong Morningthaw was the best server, besides DT.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Haha no.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Sixfools posted:

Get some hollow weapons before 20 and hangout at the training area. Low level pvp used to be so much fun just hanging around the lifestone talking poo poo and watching out for Bloods.

We could do that, but there wouldn't be anyone else there but us. Seriously, it's depressing.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
My characters were 'Qin' and 'Foe' on Morningthaw, God I miss those days.

smaweet
Nov 20, 2008

by The Finn
best. game. evar.

DT > MT > *

Engorged Biscuit
Feb 27, 2007
Buttermilk DEATH.
I was talking to Kewtsquirrel the other day, and apparently the game is just a macro war. 450 macros logged in and 50 real players, and the 50 real players try to kill all of the macros.

He told me that if I macro'd for 4 months I'd be able to get a competitive character.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.
its been a macro war forever, the devs just dont ban for it much anymore. I still have a couple 275's on SC and a couple 200's on DT.. Not worth the time, all the end game stuff has been done, over and over again..

Would be nice if they put in a progressive server but they have repeatedly said they will never consider it.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I've got free time coming up, it's either revisit this or revisit FFXI. For people who played on DT recently, is the PvP really that bad? The PvP system was one of my favorite aspects of the game, it sounds pretty loving retarded if all the players decided to ignore that and just macro 24/7.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.
As of 3-4 months ago,

Most alleg's have a semi-secret grinding spot for the members
These semi-secret grinding spots are hardly secret to macro hunters
Decal (the parent macro for ac) can auto log you out before contact with a pker.

Organization in AC absolutely sucks, nobody raids macro hunting spots, usually its just a couple punks trying to blitz a dungeon before decal logs all the macros off.

Decal logging you off is fking annoying, which in itself is a chub for the macro killers.

The economy is broken, tradebots which keep carebear servers going still do not exist in a central place on DT, making it a chore to buy things.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Well that sounds horrible, and ties back to the "the community is horrible" idea.

Engorged Biscuit
Feb 27, 2007
Buttermilk DEATH.
Meh, if we get enough people together, I'd consider macroing up a character.

Does anyone know if I can re-sub an account that hasn't been active since 2003? I should have a god only knows how high level mage on my old account (Was in a macro-driven XP chain for like two years after I quit).

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Engorged Biscuit posted:

Meh, if we get enough people together, I'd consider macroing up a character.

Does anyone know if I can re-sub an account that hasn't been active since 2003? I should have a god only knows how high level mage on my old account (Was in a macro-driven XP chain for like two years after I quit).

Assuming you can get a hold of someone at Turbine, they're usually pretty good at getting your old account back with little to no information provided from you. 2003 though, it might have been lost in the Microsoft/Turbine switch.

I wouldn't have any problem with macroing up a character myself if I had goons to play with. But if the entire server is about macroing and the pvp is almost dead, I'm not going to bother.

Engorged Biscuit
Feb 27, 2007
Buttermilk DEATH.
I wish someone would just break the law and make Freetide.

TheWylie
Sep 12, 2005

by The Finn
they are working on an emulator right now actually, progress looks pretty good
http://forum.johnnyjpg.com/index.php

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

There was a working emulator 5 years ago, what happened to that? I'm betting the links are still up.

I'm pretty sure that a group of people recently got very close to finishing an AC2 emulator. The moment they were almost finished, Turbine sent them a cease and desist.

xal
Feb 28, 2004
I have never played a game more immersive than AC1. I remember playing that game religiously for almost 2 years and getting to level 50 or something. I played on Thistledown with some family members... my godfather played... step sister... she even met a German guy and long story short: they are happily married in Canada now.

AC2 was a fizzle!(hehehe) It was actually the most disappointing games i have ever played.

Would I be willing to play the game again, and pwn darktide? Probably not. I would be interested in a modern MMO game like AC1.

ataridc
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah, things to consider about AC are:

- It was criticized for its graphics even when it was new (10 years ago)
- Supposedly made by a few people in a basement
- Was criticized for the lonely feeling of the world back when there could be 1000 people on at peak time

And yet, when I see the current MMO landscape, I think about how much better the genre would be if AC had been the mold instead of EQ. Even 8 or 9 years ago, I'd be out roaming the dereth country side looking to make my own adventure and wonder why anyone would want to travel from one grind spot to the next. I've played an embarrassing amount of games in my life, and I think AC is probably the most overlooked and under appreciated of them all. I wish Turbine hadn't screwed up so much over the years, so I could have even the smallest hope that there might be another AC game someday. Done right.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Wait, Asheron's Call still exists??

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
What i'm shocked and amazed about is maggie the jackcat is still going.

http://www.thejackcat.com/

Edit: Jesus, Ned Cleverson died. :(

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 21, 2009

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Maggie started to peter out just around when I made the last thread about AC. She's not really "around" so much anymore.

Asheron's Call still existing really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. How many MMORPGS games really get canceled? Not too many. They just shrivel up slowly over the course of years, and because MMORPGs are very scalable you can keep them profitable even when your community only numbers "hundreds" instead of thousands.

Meridian 59 is still around, the Realm Online is still around, etc.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Frostfell was the best besides darktide. Anybody remembere Archie's Empire (or something like that) and the Wi flag?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

D-Pad posted:

Frostfell was the best besides darktide. Anybody remembere Archie's Empire (or something like that) and the Wi flag?

That was my carebear server. Played as Vamelior.

Engorged Biscuit
Feb 27, 2007
Buttermilk DEATH.

Chakron posted:

There was a working emulator 5 years ago, what happened to that? I'm betting the links are still up.

The link that TheWylie put is actually the same guys I think. The old project was called UAS, and I remember talking to the guy in charge on IRC once.

Engorged Biscuit fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 21, 2009

nipple clumps
Apr 28, 2005
GUYS I RANKED ON THAT FIGHT :smug:

:gizz::gizz::gizz:

Blacknose posted:

I was around since Beta and remember this as well.

I sold a level 60'odd UA/Magic Defense spec'ed Sho character back when level 50 was high level. I made $300 and then rerolled the second 100 End/Focus/Will mage on the server, the first being my goony and good friend from high school. We were PVP gods for a while there until everyone else caught on.

Also, a friend of mine developed a drain macro to run in the Frost Stone dungeon and we used to drain/harm stuff to death all night before they did UCM checks and before they nerfed drains lol.

I miss this game :(

I still have a level 210 Sword/Magic Def/Healing spec'ed char and a 190'something War/Magic Def/something spec'ed mage on SC. They just don't make games with PVP as good as this game nowadays.

Being Melee in AC was the greatest. Hacking away at people was so fun it should have been illegal.

That and scouring the countryside for that rare spawn of Dual Fragments or a Tundra Mattekar... poo poo man what a fun time. Sometimes you'd go weeks without finding some super rare monster but when you finally did, it was all worth it.

Does anyone remember the live events like Shadow Raids on towns? Games are so loving linear now, they suck so much compared to AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
This was probably my favorite patch.

http://www.thejackcat.com/AC/Culture/Dereth/Enemies2.htm

• Locked thread