Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

I Am Omega is a 2007 straight to DVD release by the now infamous film producers The Asylum. Released one month before it's blockbuster counterpart, I Am Omega chronicles the adventures of a man named Renchard who believes he is the last man on Earth after a zombie infection wipes out civilization (I found out after checking the IMDB credits that his name is in fact "Renchard" and not "Richard," and I was going to comment about the strange nasal inflections heard from people in the film). As you can imagine, he soon finds out that he is not alone in this world, and he has to leave his fortress of solitude to rescue Brianna, a woman trapped in the nearby city. Like most post-apocalyptic films, this film has a problem straddling the fence between realism and convenience. If the character has an electric-powered home and drives around in a gas-powered vehicle, we have to have an explanation for how this is possible. There is a willingness by the audience to overlook some minute details, but when Renchard receives an "incoming video transmission" on his Macbook... come on. You're saying the Internet still works after a zombie apocalypse? Awesome.

Glaring technical errors, like the zombie infection, plague this entire film. I realize it's challenging to shoot a scene in a city where civilization has been eradicated, but could you at least do a re-shoot if a pickup truck drives into the scene at the last moment? The icing on the cake was a horrible nuit américaine scene towards the end which looked like someone had spent five minutes in Adobe After Effects applying a dark haze around the cast in the center of the frame. This was compounded by cuts to the cast standing in an area where it actually was night, seemingly seconds later.

As expected, the acting was mediocre and the dialogue was annoying. One character would not stop using the word "compadre" at the end of every sentence. The relationship between the leading man and leading lady was as scorching hot as the surface of Pluto. The villain's motives for his actions were at best mind-numbingly stupid, plus he makes the bone-headed (yet strangely oft-repeated in cinema) mistake of kidnapping someone he repeatedly states he just wants to kill. Why didn't you just kill them when you were standing right next to them with a loaded weapon in your hands? Am I the only one who picks up on this?

2 / 5

Review also posted at my blog

the fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU