Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Downhill/slalom/freeride/longboard goon reporting in. I love me some high speeds (not really I'm slow) and big slides. Probably going to sell/rebuild my slalom setup. She doesn't get enough lovin' and I hate my front truck

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Spermatic Cord posted:

What size wheels does everyone here skate on? After skating on some 52mm I feel like my heels and ankles will turn to jello if I don't skate anything other than perfectly smooth surfaces.

DELETED posted:

75mm :smug:

Hey "big" wheel buddy.
I generally like wheels around 70-75, give or take a few millimeters depending on shape, durometer, and board they'll be on.
My main rides are currently rocking some coned 71s, and the other has 70mm front, 67/69 inner/outer pre-coned rear. I own a few other 70s, and some 75s and 77s. All in the 80-84a duro range.

What do you ride, DELETED?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

DELETED posted:

I'm on a Rayne Avenger with Randal 180s and 80a Orangatang InHeats, 50° baseplate in the front and a 42° baseplate in the rear for stability and traction. It's a pretty grippy setup. I also have a Kracked Skulls M1 but it's not mounted on anything right now. I really like big soft wheels, since most of the pavement and concrete here is really crappy. It takes a little more energy to get going, but once you do, they hold speed a lot better than smaller wheels. On either of my setups (the Avenger and the M1), the biggest wheels I can run are 75-77mm. The M1 doesn't have the biggest wheel cutouts so the only wheels I can run that big are 77mm Abec11 Strikers since they're sideset. My O'tangs fit but I had to dremel some small reliefs so the lips would clear when turning. If you want some nice, smooth wheels that drift like butter, Strikers are great. Mine were 78a and I could do standup drifts through sharp corners like nothing. I'm kind of on a grippy wheel kick right now, busting slides is fun but locking into a carve as hard as you possibly can is really goddamn fun too.

Great setup! I used to have an Avenger (09, W-cave) and I loved it. I rode it with Paris, 42* Randals, and 50/42 Randals and loved them all. For wheels, I rode either 80a Otang InHeats, 77mm 84a Strikers, or 83a Gravity Drifters. Was never a fan of the Drifters, but I love my Otangs and Strikers. Usually now I ride a Fullbag Elise with Indy 215s, and Venom Sidewinders. Really slippy setup, lots of fun at low speeds, but its a challenge to carve hard once I get moving. I just redrilled my slalom deck, a Fullbag Louis Ricard pro model, to have a 24.75" wheelbase and threw the Indys and Sidewinders on there, I'll see how that rides tomorrow. I'm dieing to go skate a good hill... I'm getting bored of my normal skating.
I want to pick up a new deck soon... Going to put 50/35 Randals on the Elise with my In Heats, and then have the new board for slippery fun, but I don't know what I want yet.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I could see myself owning another Avenger, if I got a good deal on one. Its a really great deck and I miss it, but there are just so many other boards I want to try that I just can't see myself buying another at full price. I put my 50/42 Randals on my Elise this morning, with the rear dewedged to about 34-35, and I'm going to put my In Heats on there once I find my 13mm wrench and some axle nuts. I want to skate a good hill so badly... I don't exactly go fast, I've only gone into the 30s, but local hills are mostly really short and flat. I'm getting much more confident with speed constantly though, and the better I get at sliding the more comfortable I get. Just this week I've learned how to do small quick toeside drifts, just put a hand down and push the back out a little to cut speed, then carve out. It helps a lot since I can't do pendys for some reason, and I suck at colemans. Hands down I'm much better with toeside slides, unless I'm going fast and feel sketchy, then I do heelside shutdowns. I don't know any skaters better than myself, and it gets dull trying to push myself and learn everything on my own without anyone better to help and motivate me. Sometimes I kick myself because I have the balls to go 40+ on a snowboard, while doing hard carves, yet I can barely go over 30 on a skateboard I feel really natural on. Its all mental, I'm sure. I'm hoping one day I'll kick this mental block and then finally be able to skate to the best of my (physical) ability.

Weather is looking great today and I'm stoked to ride the Elise like this, and try out the redrilled slalom board for sliding

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 21, 2010

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
My newest setup, which ties into the pumping discussion:

Redrilled the rear to back the truck up to have a 23.5" wheelbase, and with the Otang Stimulus wheels its got enough grip to pump, but I can slide it if I need to stop or slow down. Such a fun setup. The only issue with it is that no matter how much I ride the (modified) Bennett, I can't get used to it and enjoy it that much. I really want to get a Radikal front, but $175 is way too much for one truck right now.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

maxmars posted:

What's the matter with the Bennett? My two complaints would be that a) the kingping nut is too close to the ground and b) that truck EATS bushings! My (magnificent) Sabres start to show cracks after one month of usage!

Also, what kind of board is that? Custom Pulse?

The deck is a Fullbag Louis Ricard slalom pro model, with the rear truck redrilled all the way to the tail. I don't like the feel of the Bennett, its got a little too much dive and the response isn't as "direct" as I'd like (like with a reverse-kingpin truck)
I've got a single Sabre bushing in that picture, just stuck in an 88a barrel to tighten the rear a bit from the 81a Venom Eliminators I had in there before.
Such a fun setup, for anything but sliding

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

maxmars posted:

I was thinking of trying out a Seismic instead of the Bennett in order to avoid the stuck kingpin issue, but it would probably be even less "direct" (mushier?) than the Bennett itself.

What would a good replacement be for the front truck? something very very turny I mean.

Seismic have never looked very appealing to me, and from what I know they're more often used as rear trucks.
I want to replace my Bennett with a Radikal Dragons Claw, but I can't afford one, they're $175 before shipping and bushings

Reverse-kingpin geometry front should fit my style a bit better than the standard-geo Bennett does, and Radikals are pretty much the cheapest reverse-geo slalom fronts, yet one of the best.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Popcorn posted:

Can anyone help me out?

Check out https://www.octanesport.co.uk
UK-based shop for longboards, with a bunch of good "brands"

Whalley posted:

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2010/apr/21/cover/

I read this and I never want to get on a skateboard without a helmet again. God, what a powerful and depressing story.

Why the hell is it there's this whole idea that you're less of a person if you wear a helmet, despite how many other things we get suited up for? Ice hockey, playing football, loving riding bikes, everyone gets all decked out in safety gear and yet someone on a skateboard wearing a helmet instantly gets mocked? gently caress, I do it too, I have a kneejerk reaction whenever I see the things.

I made an effort today when I saw a kid riding his longboard with a helmet downtown to high five him when he stopped at a light. Christ, how the gently caress am I going to pack a helmet when I move to the states?

I wear a Bell Drop full-face when skating hills, and sadly don't have a half shell for the rest of the time I'm riding. The way I see it, any time I'll be doing anything but pushing/pumping from Point A to Point B, I want a helmet. I know I can still get hurt cruising around, but hell, I'm on a skateboard so thats obviously a risk I'm willing to take. I keep procrastinating about getting a half shell.
I wear my full-face when snowboarding too, and I've got to say its nice. Its saved my face, jaw, and ears from tree branches before

leica posted:

If you're going to be out riding and loving off (being pulled by a dog for instance) then you need to wear a helmet. If you're just out cruising/commuting I really don't see the need.

I agree with this. Its GOOD to wear a helmet when cruising and commuting, but I prefer not to. I think for Vert, a helmet and pads are a must, though

DELETED posted:

It took me one good bail on a hill that I'm quite familiar with at a relatively low speed to realize just how much energy is stored in a person moving on a skateboard. I bailed around 20 and only got whiplash thanks to my helmet, but it wasn't much different from getting t-boned in a car by a truck going around the same speed. I've experience both and both times spent 3 or 4 days stiff and sore, plus a bruised Adams Apple from the wipeout. I didn't even know you could do that.

Another wipeout story: There was a kid in my town who decided to bomb this really nice hill. By nice, I mean it's a serious 50+mph (GPS verified) run with twists, turns and traffic. I'd love to bomb it but I lack the protective gear which is a set leathers/motorcycle riding gear and a fullface helmet. Well, it turns out this kid thought it would be fun too, except he didn't think he needed any sort of protective gear. I don't know how fast he was going, but he got the wobbles and ate it hard. Luck was on his side and he managed to survive, but spent a lot of time in the hospital and I imagine lots of therapy too. Brain injuries are no joke. Most of the rest of your body is pretty tough and can heal up. Bandages and casts don't do anything for a TBI.

I've thankfully never bailed over about 20mph or so, and never hard. I know a kid who recently got pitched off his board going close to 50mph, when he hit a reflector on the yellow line while pulling back into the right lane. Road rash over half his body, dislocated BOTH shoulders, and trashed his helmet. If he wasn't wearing a helmet, he'd probably be dead.

Mest0r posted:

Of course there are times where helmets don't help you at all:

:nms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezJjMqQithw :nms:

Watch as some kid gets stabbed in the crotch by his splintering board at my old high school! It's not really graphic but it'll probably keep you off your board for a few days.

As someone who has had his scrotum torn open... it is a pain so terrible, I'm amazed that kid was standing. I made it about 10 feet before I just couldn't move.

leica posted:

And comparing it to driving is kinda dumb, I don't have to worry about other skateboarders running red lights and crashing into me.

No, but cars are a legitimate threat. Trust me, getting hit by, or hitting, a car is not fun. The two guys I skate with have both been hit by cars, and I've hit a car that pulled out of a driveway in front of me. Thankfully all were low-speed incidents.

RobotEmpire posted:

Oh well we must cruise different, I go as fast as I possibly can without wearing myself out. Anyway, sorry you think the comparison is dumb. My point was that a car suddenly pulling out of a driveway or turn off of a street right into you isn't beyond the realm of my imagining. That would also be enough to send you rear end over teakettle right onto your rear end.

Like I said, it's your brain and your life, so do whatever you want. I don't feel at all self-conscious about wearing a helmet, or feel that it diminishes my 'cool factor."

My idea of cruising is pushing hard and carving/pumping hard. As I already said, cars are a factor. I've had a few people (usually on cell phones) pull out of driveways without looking, run stop signs, or just come dangerously close to me.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

DELETED posted:

If you're doing serious downhill you should essentially be wearing the same thing as a smart motorcyclist because are essentially going as fast as a motorcyclist. This includes riding gear or leathers, standard clothing doesn't offer the abrasion resistance you need, and in fact may cause more injury. I went down at about 30, although I had enough time to prepare for it, and it wasn't too bad except for the rugburn I got from my hoody catching on the ground and pulling the sleeve against my forearms.

Oh, I know all about this. Its the same as the helmet debate: wear what you're comfortable in. If you don't feel you need leathers, then don't wear them, but know that you're taking a risk. I don't own leathers and don't plan to for a while, since I'm rarely going over 30mph here.
You also need to be realistic, most guys DON'T have leathers unless they're racing or go fast a lot. Even the cheapest stock motorcycle suits, which are extremely low quality, are around $200, and a lot of people just don't have that money. Personally, when I get leathers, I'm getting customs, since the quality is MUCH higher than stock suits, and you can get suits that are actually designed for our sport

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
People wear leathers and full-faces because its not fun to fall when doing things like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlMS-fTCDd0
When you gently caress up your 55mph toeside predrift, you want more than some cotton and denim between you and the road.

Heres one of my favourite freeride and race videos, if you guys want an idea what some of the roads we longboarders ride are like, and why we wear such crazy gear. Both videos are from this race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv9EWo3KvuU

Also, the guy in blue, doing the predrift in the first video, and filming much of the second I posted, is also in the Cypress Mountain video. His name is Patrick Switzer, hes ranked 3rd in the world for downhill racing. He is an amazing skater

leica posted:

Those videos are both the same dude.

welp, seems I screwed up my copying and pasting. changed now

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 9, 2010

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
So, theres a chance I might be getting a (used, razor-tailed) street deck for free! I can probably scrounge up some trucks from someone around who doesn't skate any more, and I happen to have some little hard wheels laying around. I can ollie, shuv-it sometimes, and I've landed a kickflip or two, but other than that know nothing.
Someone wanna help my longboarder rear end learn to ride flippy-boards? (through the internet!)

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Froodulous posted:

I've been interested in getting a longboard for cruising around town and getting to and from the station for a while now. Unfortunately I have no idea about longboards. I used to skate a bit, but on what I would call a "normal" skateboard.

I'm in the UK and looking at Octane Sport.

http://www.octanesport.co.uk/shop/index.php/kids/mindless-raider-ml2000-complete-longboard.html

Would this setup be a good first buy?

It doesn't look terrible, so it could be a decent starting board, and Octane does generally have good stuff from what I can tell. If you're trying to keep it (veeery) cheap, go for it, but you'd definitely be better off spending more

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I think I finally found the perfect board to ride my Indys on:

I've finally found a board I KNOW I'll be comfy on that should have enough wheel clearance to run Indys without riser. Then I'll throw my Randals on my Fullbag Elise and have two setups I can REALLY love, rather than having a compromise in some form. STOKED.
Took my Elise to a nice local hill yesterday: Half mile long, 20-35mph depending how you skate it. Pavement is pretty slippery so I was just sliding down the whole way, and learned to pendy toeside AND heelside in two runs. I am so amazingly stoked, I just wanna skate more. There was a family having a picnic of sorts on their front lawn on the road, and I threw a toeside pendy in front of them without knowing they were there. Nothing like nailing your first toeside pendy with a bunch of random people cheering you on =D

In street skating news, I found someone with some old trucks I can have, and am likely getting a used deck this weekend for free. Its gonna be fun trying to learn to do fliptricks and stuff more

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I'm gonna set it up with Indy 215's and Venom Sidewinder wheels. I want it to be low. I've been planning a lower setup for awhile, but I don't like drop-thrus, so I've been looking for something I can slap my Indys on without risers, and I've found it. Its going to be my soft-wheel sliding/freeride board. I love the feel of Indys but I hate having to use a ton of riser to mount them on most boards

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

UncleSkunk posted:

I just got my KS Scimitar today, and it's a blast to ride. I feel like the bushings are too soft though, as it feels pretty twitchy. Any suggestions for something more stable?

DELETED posted:

You'll probably want to run something above 90a durometer, I use 90a and 93a on my rear truck for stability and I'm 180lbs. They're pretty hard, so something in that range would be good since you're bigger. Even as high as 95a might be good. I really like Venom and Reflex bushings, I'm using 2 barrels in the back and a cone and a barrel bushing in the front. What you run depends on the kind of riding you want to do and the kind of feel you like. Your best bet is to buy a few different kinds and mix and match. You'll want harder bushings on the rear truck, and when mixing on a truck I like to put the harder bushing on the top (between the baseplate and the hanger). Here's a pretty good topic on another board about bushing types, washers, etc. http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-skateboarding-trucks/106618-bushings-different-types-how-set-them-up.html

Randal trucks use a taller than normal top bushing, so if you change them out you'll want to put an extra flat washer on that side to make the sizes match up. I think reflex and maybe venoms are the same height but I'm not positive. I buy a lot of my skate stuff from https://www.milehighskates.com they have a good selection of bushings. Like I said, mix and match and experiment. Eventually you'll get a good feel for what you like don't like.

Venom, Reflex, and Sabre are all good. Khiros are also good but nowadays are most popular among slalom riders, simply because they're cheap and readily available.
What trucks are you running? It makes a huge difference in what bushings you select, since standard and reverse-kingpin geometry trucks feel different with the same bushings, and then the kingpin angle and even the hanger width change the feel also. For Independant trucks I use a 78a Venom Eliminator bottom with a 77a Reflex barrel top in front, and 80a Reflex barrel top rear. Randal 42s I'm currently using 88a Sabres in rear, and on bottom in front, but an 85a Venom barrel on top in front. I weigh 150lbs and both setups are for general carving, downhill, and sliding.
I'd say to try something in the mid 80s or low 90s if you're using 50* Randal or Paris trucks. With Randal trucks, buy a new 2.75" kingpin also, since the Randal top bushing is shorter than a Venom/Reflex/Sabre
What DELETED said is pretty spot on, but I'd say go a little softer. The bottom bushing is the one between the baseplate and hanger, and the top is between the hanger and kingpin, not the other way around as DELETED said. Symmetrical bushing setups are fine, but some people like to put a softer bushing on top in front, or run the front much softer than the rear. With split angle trucks (turnier, higher angle front, leanier, lower angle rear) people almost always run the rear truck with harder bushings, since you have much more leverage over a lower angle truck, making the bushings feel softer.
Definitely check out that Silverfish thread... you can find all you need to know there, but be warned there are a lot of idiots and kooks there too

donJonSwan posted:

Pads aren't fun to skate in, but there are some good ones out there that aren't completely terrible.

187 makes a decent set, and pro-designed anything is also top shelf.

Get what you pay for it seems, they're both a little pricey.

I wear Smith Scabs when skating hills, and they'd be great for parks too. They're beefy, and similar to 187 Pros. Very comfy, and have a ton of padding. I wore them snowboarding once, under my snow pants, when I was learning how to do harder, faster toeside carves. I slid out on them plenty, and taken a few botched landings on my knees on them and felt nothing. Great pads, but I've yet to take a fall on them skating, thankfully.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Mugmoor posted:

After a maybe 4-5 year hiatus on skateboarding I picked up a longboard today, I think I clocked in something like 4 hours of ride time today.

I'm exhausted, but it's such a blast.

What'd you get?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Otangs for LDP? Interesting. Are you finding them grippy enough with the tracker rear? I find Otangs pretty drifty, especially on standard geometry trucks. I was running Otang Stimulus 83a on my slalom rig for a bit, and it was fun as long as I didn't pump too hard. I haven't used my In Heats on there though because they're a little too big to fit without adding a fair amount of riser.
Here's a tip for all you LDP guys that I like for slalom: try running the front truck taller than the rear. I've only tried it on boards with the rear trucks mounted on a kicktail, but it may work for ldp too

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Mmmmmm one of these badass boards is in my future and I really can't wait. Its my birthday present to myself. I'll set it up with Independent 215's and either Venom Sidewinders, 80a Orangatang In Heats, or 83a Orangatang Stimulus, and probably start neglecting my other rides

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Got the big orange bastard I posted above. Paid for it on Monday, it showed up about 26hours later on Tuesday. Can't complain about shipping time!
The deck itself is great... 39 x 9.8", with 30.5", 31.25", and 32" wheelbases. Its a 5/8" drop deck, with great concave that is about as deep as the drop is. The concave has a wide, flat center that curls up at the ends of the deck to lock you in well, but remain VERY mellow and comfortable feeling. The slight drop is great, it really locks you in without giving the hammocky feeling of boards with a larger drop. The pocket where the drop meets the concave is extremely comfortable, and truly fits the foot well. There is a slight flat spot in the pocket that I find is perfect to put my foot into for toeside stand-up, and hands-down slides.
Heres something to really show the bends and pockets on this deck. Its very well designed.

Its a really great board set up with Independent 215's and some slippery soft wheels. It feels a bit like a snowboard set up like this, and I love it. Right now I've got it on Venom Sidewinders, but I'm going to snag some race wheels for it. A good grippy shape with a decently drifty urethane should treat me well. Maybe I'll try out the new Classic 'Thane Abec 11 Zig Zags, or new Venom Cannibals, or something else entirely. There are so many options for gear these days, its amazing, but so hard to choose. Hoping to take the board up to some higher speeds soon. So far I've only hit about 15mph, and been doing a lot of stand-up sliding on it.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 4, 2010

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Snowboarding transfers over to longboarding, downhill, and slalom, more than street skating (in my experience)

If there are any of you street/park guys who might be interested in a small, soft wheel to smooth things up a bit, check out the new(ish) Earthwing Wild Childs

54 and 57mm, 83a, modern street shape with a core. I've heard they ride particularly well in rough parks.
Earthwing is a great little Brooklyn-based longboard company, and they put out a lot of great gear at great prices (for example: a drop-thru symmetrical "freeride" board for $99, and a topmount speedboard for $90)

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Another bit of 'longboard' gear I'll throw into the sights of you street skaters:
If you're looking to step it up to something a little bigger, check out this deck
http://blisslongboards.com/Big_B.aspx
36x9" symmetrical double-kick, 17" and 18.5" wheelbases.

I kind of want to pick one up for myself... but I don't have the money, so you goons should instead. Help support small companies!

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 23, 2010

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I ALWAYS wear slide gloves when I skate. I can't skate comfortably without them anymore. I have some Smith Scabs knee pads I wear if I'm going to be going over pushing speed and sliding a lot, they're beefy and awesome

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If anyone is looking to make some slide gloves, snag some affordable quality pucks here: http://phatdeanz.com/Products.aspx
I use an older version (different bevel) of the normal size 3x3" square palms. Great pucks and super cheap and they'll be shipped fast. There are also 70mm and 76mm GRIPPY wheels, bushings, kingpins, truck tune-up kits (awesome value) and braking soles to keep your shoes lasting.

Anyway... I modified my Fullbag a bit. I added wheel wells for a 25" wheelbase, extended and rounded out the waist on the toeside more, and shaved just a bit off the heelside in the rear.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs323.ash2/60338_158395014172881_100000071507487_519276_5146468_n.jpg
Its really fun, but this board just isn't a great shape for me.
My symmetrical drop-deck has proven to be a pretty fun board, but I'm not liking the lack of leverage and grip I get with Independant trucks. I want to topmount the Independents and get some higher-angle reverse-kingpin trucks for the drop deck, since I only have Randal 42s

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Hot drat...

A prototype from Longboard Larry... 34" long, 24" wheelbase I believe... definitely want.

I've been off board for a little while, was in the hospital (diabetes) and have been on IV meds at home since. I also fell down the stairs and smacked my knee, but I think I sould be good for a light cruise tomorrow. Yay skating!

By the way, a "4-wheel standy" is a stand-up slide where all 4 wheels slide

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

maxmars posted:

Looks ace.. What kind of board is that? Also, those look like reverse kp trucks but with square hangers. Is it the illicit son of a Bennet and a Randal?

I don't know the model or anything other than approximate specs, and that it has full radial concave and a little bit of rocker. Trucks are Radikal Talons on Randal baseplates, wheels are Orangatang

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
This thread needs life! Just cause its getting cold doesn't mean you can stop skating!
I'm back on board after about a month because of being diagnosed with diabetes, and then having a severe blackage in my small intestine. I'm finally starting to get my energy back and I'm back to doing what I love.

I'm really stoked to be working with an internet acquaintance to design a small topmount downhill/freeride board. We are both fans of smaller topmounts and have similar tastes, and he knows a small builder he helps design for. We've had a few discussions and now have the rough specs we want, with every aspect of the board sized to fit us both perfectly =D
I hope to soon have a board in my hands that I helped to create, and will fit my style and stance perfectly... its going to be a great feeling.

Also really stoked that Surf Rodz is once again putting out a remarkable product: a precision (CNC machined billet aluminum) conventional geometry truck with space-able axles. They took the longboard market by storm with precision reverse-kingpin trucks priced at around $200, which is very affordable for CNC'd trucks.
The first big innovation is the axle system: Surf Rodz use a 10mm removable axle that threads into the hanger itself with heli-coil insert, and then a set-screw to lock it in. The system allows them to use different length axles, and simple steel spacers to change the effective length of the trucks. The reverse-kingpin trucks can be spaced out either 10mm or 20mm wider than the actual hanger, and the new conventional geometry INDeeSZ (name is kinda lame) will be space-able up to 40mm, in 10mm increments. Hangers will be 127mm (space-able to 137, 147, 157, and 167mm) and 177mm (space-able to 187, 197, 207, and 217mm)
The second, and biggest innovation on the conventional geometry "INDeeSZ" is that the hanger and pivot (and bushing seat) are actually separate pieces, and screw together. This means that if a hanger is worn down from grinding, bent from huge airs, or otherwise damaged, you can simply buy a new one, screw it on to the pivot piece and then screw your existing axles in. It also means that with one set of trucks, and two sets of hangers, you can have a single set of trucks that can be changed from 127mm, to 217mm (in 10mm increments) in a matter of moments.
Its been made more for the longboard market, but I could see this crossing over into vert with some people
Heres some pictures:

The website is https://www.surf-rodz-trucks.com if anyone is interested in looking into them more.
Surf Rodz puts out some quality products and the prices are phenomenally low for CNC trucks

Theres one more update from the longboard world for you all... happy skating

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 2, 2010

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Landy getting K-Mart from Rayne is a big deal to them crazy Vancouver skaters. He is one of the best out there for crazy freeride and is amazing a tech sliding too.

I leave for Florida for 2 weeks in a few hours, bringing my slalom board with me for some flat land pumping. Can't wait for the new deck, it ships once I get home

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If you're looking for a smaller board for pumping you might want to just go with a slalom board. Similar setup, but you just need to pump a bit quicker due to the smaller wheelbase.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Wezlar posted:

I know a lot of skaters who have time to do both so this legitimately confuses me.

Its easy, just do them both at once (but only in safe amounts!)

Got my custom DH/SGS/GS/carving/freeride board in last week, and got my new Surf Rodz INDeeSZ. Waiting on my 10mm bearings (should arrive tomorrow) and some fresh bushings then she'll be all set up. Gonna snag some fresh wheels soon, need to find a good mix between grip and freeridey slip

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Hurm. posted:

This guy knows what's up, hubba wheels are awesome, I love 'em.
Couldn't stop staring at...
Definitely gonna get a set of...

mmmm colours

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

OrangeCrush posted:

Thanks for the reply whally. I gotta file down the edges and poo poo where i think he got a little bored/lazy/tired, but its wicked cool.

Thanks for the links, whats your opinion on a package like one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=randal+180+package&x=0&y=0&sprefix=randal+180+package

from what ive read, i want 180mm trucks, ~75mm wheels with 78a hardness?

Welp, don't go for a package.
On a board like that you should be running much narrower trucks than 180, maybe some Independent 139 or 149; and I'd put wheels around 60-70mm, depending on trucks and risers.
What properties do you want in your wheels?

My most recent setup (barely had time on it due to poo poo weather) is a CR Boardworks custom, 34x9.5, with SurfRodZ IndeeSZ spaced to 187mm, and some 71mm 80a Venom Sidewinder wheels that I've worn to about 62-64mm. Such a fun, tiny, light, responsive ride.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 19, 2011

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

OrangeCrush posted:

why dont i want big wide trucks and tall wheels? wont that give me a surfboard like ride? with wheels almost wider thant he board?

If the trucks are a lot wider than the board, you'll lose a lot of leverage. Maybe you should try some 150mm trucks like Paris, Randal, Caliber, and many others. They'd probably be closer to the width of the deck, but be a little wide, and very carvy

Got one of these showing up Thursday... I don't know what to try to learn first.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Horizontal Tree posted:

Got one of these showing up Thursday... I don't know what to try to learn first.

Got this, then went to New Hampshire for a week to snowboard. My first impression is great, got plenty of pop for such a huge board (37.5x9.5) and it feels a lot smaller at times. Once you start carving and throwing speed checks it feels big and awesome. Only problem with it so far is that my setup is a bit too tall, so it makes it a bit awkward for me to pop, seeing as I'm not used to doing ollies or anything really. Gonna throw my Indy 215s on and see if I can get it set up lower without getting wheelbite. I can tell I'm gonna have a lot of fun on this board if I can learn to ollie decently and maybe learn some other tricks

Obscuritatem posted:

This winter has been brutal. I think this is the first dry saturday I've seen since bloody November!

My missus got me this setup for xmas:

TBH I think it was bought more as a novelty rather than to properly skate, but today I actually got out on it and it's such an amazing little cruiser. It's p wide (nearly 9" I think) but really short and easy to slide about. The wheels are massive and soft as shite, you can proper carve about on crap surfaces.
But yeah, love it, think I'll trade in my indys and spits for a tailbone, some rails and a Vision t-shirt

This is just mental. He almost bones it 90 degrees at the peak.

My buddy's sister has a board that I think is exactly the same as this, but a different graphic. Its a really fun little mini, but I couldn't quite get comfortable on it because she rides her trucks way too tight. Enjoy it!

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 6, 2011

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I sold my slalom deck a little while back and now I'm dieing to set up another. I have a front and rear truck and wheels already, but I hate the front truck and need a new deck.
Odd you guys mention fancy composite boards... I'd really love a composite slalom deck. Composites and all that fancy stuff are a complete gimmick in street decks, but for high-end downhill and slalom they're a big improvement. Takes off a lot of weight and adds a lot of strength. Carbon fiber is rather common in longboards these days

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Now THIS is skating. So loving gnarly, seriously
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7qYxj5pOw8

Mugmoor, whats your full setup? I'm not a huge fan of Otangs myself...
(also you may not have noticed but we're friends on steam, because of dankbutts)

Zigmidge, kicktails are fun as hell! I've been riding around on the Earthwing Crewzer and the short wheelbase and kicktail is helping me learn. The only problem to me is that I ride street decks goofy-mongo cause I need my left foot on the tail, but I ride hills and slide regular. It makes things difficult for me...

I've been trying to learn 360-shuv's and bigspins off the nose, more in the longboard style. I can do 180 shuvs off the nose easy, but I can't get anything else down yet. Getting closer though. Also been trying to learn regular 180 pop-shuv-its off the tail, but I'm having trouble with that. Its probably the soft wheels and wide as hell deck.
I can pop and flick kickflips PERFECTLY. Like, the board just lands flat every time, but I CAN'T LAND ON THE DECK. Its kind of frustrating. I have such an awesome setup and I can't ride it to potential =(
Heres my Crewzer and its rad as gently caress setup:

In other news I got some 44* Caliber trucks. Fantastic trucks. I threw them on my tiny custom, on the 26" wheelbase and the first time really riding them was bombing some narrow local bike paths I'd never ridden before. The largest hill on the paths is about 25mph and ends in turn into a parking lot, and its hard as hell to make the turn unless you can grip hard on a turny board, or predrift. Taking a setup I wasn't yet comfortable on to a decent speed was a huge confidence boost. Gonna have to find a good bushing setup and throw these on my larger topmount for hills and fun.

I have some new wheels on the way too - 80a Metro Motions. I've heard a lot of good things and a friend of mine suggested them because of the wheels I'm currently running (Venom Sidewinders) so we'll see how those are soon.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Hey Portfolio, with a low board like that it will be VERY easy to push, and to slide (if you want to learn). The Switch is a well-liked deck, there are a few local riders here on them who use them for much more than commuting. As for trucks and wheels, look at trucks like Randal, Paris, Gunmetal, and Caliber. You'd want something 50* so you get a lot of turn, and around 180mm (10") wide. Wheels, look for anything with a durometer from 78a if you want them soft, up to 84a or so for harder; square, sharp lips = grip, and round lips = drift.
Take a look around https://www.longboardskater.com for parts, anything on there will be quality. Let me know what you like the looks of and I could tell you more =)

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Bearings and risers are something I left out of my last post... If you wind up getting that Landy Switch, buy a bunch of risers of various sizes and play with them. More risers = more response, but a higher ride height, of course. As for bearings, get whatever is cheap, and get STEEL bearing spacers. Bones Reds are great.
As for wheels, DELETED covered that well. Just wanted to say that 75mm 80a Orangatang In Heats actually have freakin' huge cores and its pretty annoying because they don't last very long. I also personally just don't like Otangs.
If you have questions about any specific gear or anything, ask away. I'm like a gear encyclopedia

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I'm just getting back into it after a long winter. Abec 11 Freerides (formerly Strikers) have medium-sized cores. Flywheels have some of the largest obviously. Gumballs and Flashbacks have tiny cores. Phat Deanz wheels have the smallest cores they could get when making the wheels. Core size only really matters if you'll be sliding a lot and want a ton of life in your wheels. I know people who can shred through just about any of the wheels I've mentioned in a matter of days, but I only weigh about 135lbs and don't wear my wheels quickly at all, so other factors are more important to me.
I just bought some used Earthwing Slide A wheels. Now I have two sets of wheels on the way... one soft and slidey, the other is hard as diamonds and slides for days. Gonna be a lot of fun and injuries in my future. Maybe the hard wheels will be some more motivation to learn tricks

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
It will definitely be a lot of fun!

I got my new wheels (both sets) and am loving them. I put the Slide-A's on my Crewzer (giant double kick) but haven't really tried much sliding on it yet. Motions are on my custom toppy with Caliber 44* (amazing trucks) and they're awesome. So controlled, and can hold a line really well for how much they slide.

I talked to a friend and I'm almost definitely going to be trading my Clutch Lamb Chop for a slalom deck and a prototype 37" Comet Ethos
Ethos looks like this"

I am embracing kicktails. They are rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Definitely a badass graphic, for a badass truck company. I'm moving my Indy 215s back onto the Crewzer so I can free up my fancy trucks for the Ethos when I get it.
I just don't know which set of wheels I want where...

I tried out the Earthwing Slide-A's today on the Crewzer, and they're SO CONTROLLED. I expected crazy icy slipperiness but they actually do grip and feel great while sliding. I only tried them on the tiny slope next to my house, so I really need to get them to a hill with better pave and a little more speed and throw some huge slides