Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My son went to the bike shop with me to get some clipless pedals for my bike shortly before his birthday and promptly got distracted by the skateboard decks. I snagged the one he liked best when he went to look at other stuff and we put it together on his birthday:

Other than my poo poo-tastic tape job and double-checking tightness on nuts, he did everything himself.

And now I want a longboard because this thing is pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Breddy cool, gotta love Guy Mariano. Get that youngster a copy of Pretty Sweet and a youtube link explaining how to fall and why pads aren't for sissies.

Done and done. Not sure why I hadn't thought to get him a video before you mentioned it, though :iiam:

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Get a longboard dude. That'd be a pretty cool father son/activity, plus he'll get to watch you fall on your rear end.
My dad used to take me rock climbing when I was a kid and that owned bones.

He already follows me up mountains, to the range, and along bike trails, he might as well add "board" to his already lengthy list of "I watched dad fall off/into ___."

Siivola posted:

I'm 25 and I just bought my first skateboard ever. :3:

Hey, buddy! Only mine is a cheapy Amazon special Quest that just came to the door:

Plan to bang it around until it needs new wheels/bearings and then upgrade them and the trucks when I better know what I want.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My daughter tried my longboard and promptly told me she wants one. Guess it is time to save up and build a decent little cruiser for her:

And the boy still likes his board, unsurprisingly. Even with he :geno: trucks/bearings/wheels on the Quest, long boarding is way more my speed than skateboarding. Just carving around all mellow with smoother ride is nice. My wife wants a regular skateboard, too, and won't let me get a new kick scooter until she has one. I guess she used to ride a friend's back in San Fran.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

[Tell] me about penny killers from funboxdist. As fun as they look?

And I have not had much time on the Quest and am still a complete novice, but I think I am going to like the board style/wheel size, but may want to be able to turn in a slightly tighter radius. Would that Bustin 35 be a good upgrade after I have ridden the Quest enough to want an upgrade and retire to beater board with something nicer?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

Loose trucks save lives. Play with your bushing and truck setup before spending real money on a new board.

Point taken but $nicerlongboard$ would be a year off at the earliest. Except a penny killer which just looks fun enough to grab before snowfall because :3:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Your doctor's mooring fees for his boat.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It is grocery day and good weather for a ride, so I clicked into my CR1 and pedaled twenty miles to the bike shop in the same town as our preferred grocer before catching up with my wife and kids for groceries. I looked to see I they had any longboard decks for my daughter who wants to build one and they only had a few completes from Sector 9 and Palisades.

The bike wrench gave me advise for other shops to look into with the only guarantee being in Concord, a good clip away. He then offered to pull the trucks on any longboard in shop and sell it to me at bare deck price. I took him up on the offer and paid for a deck before heading out to call my wife for a pickup. Her phone was dead.

Oh well, I tucked the deck under my arm, clipped into my bike, and merged into pre-Main Street traffic, down Main Street, linked to the road to the industrial end of town, lost my bike computer in the middle of the road, dismounted to grab it, and made my way to the grocery store.

My daughter was super excited when I caught up with them and handed her the deck. When we finished, we headed back to the bike shop to "see if they have any trucks and wheels for you." The wench had a good sense of humor and was happy to play along. But the girl wanted purple wheels like the longboard in the corner...

After I offered him ten bucks to make the wheel swap, he laughed and gave me the original trucks with the purple wheels and only let me pay him an extra five rather than the original ten. And then home to build the board.

Mostly telling his story so it will be in writing to point her to when she gets older and insists I have never gone out of my way for her :v:

Now off to a quiet dead-end road in town for her to try it out.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Funbox Dist. penny killer if you want nice.

Whatever if you want a fun little beater.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Daughter gave my wife a board for her birthday. Pics later, just glad we all have one, now.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I never posted the board my daughter gave my wife:

Mother and daughter boards.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The Quest is fine. The bearings are :geno:, wheels are alright, trucks are serviceable, and the deck is flexible but mine has yet to break after two seasons. The neighborhood kids have also wailed it down the hill all summer with no issues.

If you want nice things or think you will outgrow a beater board, save up for a nicer setup. But I can vouch for it as a generiboard when no fucks are given.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 12, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

All winter gear no removed from the mudroom and replacdd with summer goodies to include the skateboards. Now it just needs to stop raining so the kids'll be willing to take them outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I longboard. :krakentoot:

Poorly. Little dorks enjoy watching me wipe out.