Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Looking to get a skateboard for cruising around campus. So far I've been using an old skateboard that's been through a couple different people. It's alright but I'd like something with bigger wheels and less rust. What's the consensus here on penny/banana boards? Or should I just invest in a decent longboard? What's a good longboard setup? (6ft 160 pounds)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Elrobot posted:

I'm a similar build and I have just gotten really into riding a pennyboard I've had for a while. I ride it super tight because it takes getting used to the balance and placing your feet but I probably should loosen it a little. The wheels are actually bigger and softer than my other boards so it can tank through pebbles/cracks fairly well. It's tiny enough that I can toss in my backpack and it's a head-turner; people are always complimenting me on it.
Good longboard setup is a shortboard :getin:

Thanks. They seem nifty. I just noticed this board on sale on amazon. Are Quest boards any good? Seems like a good deal, but I've noticed some retailers always list their prices as a discount on amazon in order to up the appearance of value. Sorta gives me the impression that this might be a board designed to rope in newbies that don't know any better.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Well for just starting out something for around 60 bucks that won't immediately fall apart is appealing, as long as it isn't a total piece of poo poo. Do you guys think the quest would be the way to go over the penny as a casual college cruiser?

Good point keep talkin fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 12, 2015

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I'm not in love with the small size of the penny or anything. Just looking for something that's proven quality wise in that price range. As long as you guys say the Quest boards are fine I'm gonna go with those. Since the the 44 inch jumped up 27 bucks over the past two days I'll look around a little more and make a decision soon. Their 40 inch ones are still hangin around $60 so maybe I'll go with those.

EDIT: Went with this.

Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully I'll quit tripping over myself when pushing in a short while.

UPDATE: Been a couple days and so far I'm liking the new board. Glides around nicely, helps gets me from place to place a lil bit quicker. Also took my first spill on it last night cruising with some friends. Was going a little faster than I was used to and ran into a surprise curb. Chickened out and jumped off but I couldn't run it out. Damage isn't too bad, and after one of them taught me how to roll over curbs. Apparently my board can handle them a lot better than I thought.

Good point keep talkin fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 20, 2015