Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm 25 and I just bought my first skateboard ever. :3:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Took the board for a spin. Skated three kilometres and didn't fall down once, so I guess that aikido I did in high school was good for something!

But drat, sidewalks are really lovely here in the suburbs. I could really use wheels bigger than 52mm, but I guess that's what I get for buying the cheapest complete there was.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You know what's the best thing about starting a new hobby? Every single thing on Youtube is the best thing ever. I was looking at Gou Miyagi videos and found some footage from the All Japan Freestyle Contest from last September:

Amateur highlights, and the pro tournament's round one, round two and rounds three and four.

Freestyle's cool, right? :shobon:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I assume you've seen this Gou Miyagi video part (from Heroin's Video Nasty) but even if you have it's necessary to post this regularly to make sure everyone has seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk8dy4NIzBU
It's beautiful enough to watch again. Can you recommend any other goofy funhavers like Miyagi? I don't know jack about tricks and technical stuff yet, so it's really hard for me to appreciate a regular skate video, but wiggly dick stalls? I can dig those.

I don't know if you've noticed, but this skating poo poo is hard. I tried to ride down the hill I live on, but I kept wobbling so much I had to abort. I keep leaning back like a doofus, I need to learn to put enough weight on the front leg. I also tried figuring out tic tacs, but didn't get anywhere and came home frustrated. Then, after watching a couple of videos, I realized I first need to learn to kickturn, so I had to go back out to practice that.

I'm hoping to land a Boneless sometime before winter sets in. They look so much more fun than plain old ollies.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I've done basically nothing but watch videos for the last couple of days. I just saw Bones Brigade on Netflix and now I think I'm going to look up some Lance Mountain footage.

Edit: Lance Mountain turned 50 a month ago. 50. :staredog:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 12, 2014

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola posted:

I'm hoping to land a Boneless sometime before winter sets in.
So, uh, guess I underestimated myself. I went to this local school tonight and tried out some tricks on the parking lot. Took my first spills, but managed to land some stationary Bonelesses. They were the ugliest Bonelesses ever, but man, Bonelesses. I'm so loving stoked right now. :kimchi:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 14, 2014

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm a big huge weeaboo, so here's Koichiro Uehara skating pretty sweet lines.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

And Jason Park with a part with the spirit of Gou Miyagi, really love this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGO2Al65HWI
That is the most beautiful thing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I don't know about specfic brands, but ideally a helmet should fulfill whatever your local standards for protection are, and also fit properly. It should be adjustable so that it sits snug on your noggin, and doesn't wobble when you turn your head. You should be able to see and hear wearing it.

Finally, it needs to look as goony as possible.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:aaaaa: I want to see him and Miyagi hang out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Vogue also ran an article about producing that video: http://www.vogue.com/projects/13456298/rodney-mullen-debut-new-tricks-stanceless-360-degrees/

It's got some other stuff besides the usual "police came to stop me from breaking my hip joint".