Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
I've picked up skateboarding recently, in september. So far it's been a blast, but I need some media to inspire me and teach me more about the sport as a whole so I can make the most of my time away from the board. What can you guys recommend? Videos, books, and so on. I have no idea of where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Thanks everyone for the tips. Great recommendations! Sadly, a Thrasher subscription is a little bit too pricey to my country, and I'm a bit worried about things such as the long shipping and possibly facing some customs issues due to the free t-shirts and DVDs.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Edit: What do you get into most when watching other people? Dudes hucking themselves down deadly drops? Unique takes on the sport? Ridiculous flip in/out to manual stuff?

Edit2: Check out David Gonzalez too. He has it all in spades and the biggest balls this side of Jaws Homoki.

First of all, I'll admit that I loved the Tony Hawk games as a kid. I was impressed by Rodney Mullen, most of all, and vert just seemed a bit out of my reality, so it did not draw my attention. I couldn't stay on top of the skateboard for a second as a child. Personally, drops don't draw my attention much, and vert really does not appeal to me. I like street skateboarding, and I'm very impressed by the little freestyle I've seen. Right now, I'm just starting to get the hang of riding, of cruising around and maneuvering the board. I still have a lot to work on. I have tendinitis in the left ankle, so I feel a lot of nagging pain that I can do nothing but get used to. So I'm trying to work around that, and skateboarding is helping me with both strength and balance.

My end of the year goal is to ollie, but for the last week all I've been doing is to ride with no pretentions, as I managed to lose one of my wrist guards and I'm waiting for a new pair to arrive. I'm an older beginner, 24 years old, so I'm trying to avoid injuries to my hands due to work reasons. I learned to break falls when I trained BJJ, but I've tried to put my hands to the ground more than once when I just started skateboarding, so... the guards saved my day more than once before I started to wise up a little.

Now, for a couple of very basic questions about pushing. I am goofy, but my stronger leg is the right one and I'm right handed.

-How do I add strength to my pushing to make me go faster? I just can't seem to kick strong enough without losing stability.

-Regarding the switch stance: is pushing mongo a valid choice, or is it a clutch? I just can't ride "regular" without pushing mongo. Can I stick with that or is it a bad habit I should get rid of?

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir

pugnax posted:

'axe kick'

Two words that gave me a new perspective. I tried it out yesterday, it really is a lot smarter than just stomping at the pavement. Nice tip. It helps to keep my balance and to time my pushes better, not only with "just" speed. Once I get the hang of it, I'll try to switch and see what's what.

Now for an odd question. I often ride at night, so I get a little bit confused with foot positioning in the dark. I'm thinking about doing something to my screws or the grip tape so I can have a better reference of where I am stepping. Have you guys faced that issue? I know that there are colored screws and bolts and that colorful tape is a thing, but I'd like to hear your thoughts about it, as I want an interesting solution, something I could do with stuff I have around the house.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
A certain someone has managed to gently caress up a simple paint job, and managed to make things worse by trying to clean the paint off the griptape and accidentally removing the sandpaper from it. Serves me him right for doing things without proper care and tools. Oh well, I just bought another griptape, those things are cheap. I thought it would be hell to remove, especially as most online tutorials mentioned that I'd need a hairdrier and a straight razor and that it would take a lot of time. I just peeled the thing off by hand and used it to sand the board to remove the glue residue, didn't take me five minutes.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
This holiday break is being particularly nice to me. I've been enjoying skateboarding lately, although I'm not exactly making the most of not having to work during the day... the sun is just too strong! So my laziness speaks louder. But I'm still putting my hours in, and I have installed the Bones Reds in place of my old grease-based bearings, which were nice and cheap, but were starting to creak and make noises and run weird. I'll figure out how to clean them later, but it's a non-issue. The feeling I have is that I can skate anywhere. Now I just need to be able to figure out the ollie. Just a matter of time now. I'm really psyched over it all, best decision I took in 2014.

Now for another questions. Do you guys do any exercise routines to improve your balance and strength for skateboarding? I'm feeling horribly sore right now, which is definitely a good thing, but I am wondering if I can make the whole process smarter.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
How many of you use your skateboards as part of your daily commute, and how are your setups like? I'm already comfortable riding it, but there are still a couple of things I have to work on before I take my board to the "big" "city", meaning not the boonies where I live at. I take the bus and then walk to work, so I'm itching to just ride from the station to my workplace. I figure it would be a great way to save time from my daily routine and to put the hours into my new hobby.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
I think I broke my wrist being a dumbass at home. It doesn't hinder me from anything, I can still move it, there is no swelling, but I can feel the pain of broken bone. It hurts if I pick up a thing but I can type and make grip.

Also I have a strong cold so I feel defeated right now. Ollie status = still can't loving do it (idiot).

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Depending on how embarrassed you might feel you could get a glow in the dark strip or something on your shoes. Or if you're in a park/bowl/one-spot situation you could look into some cheap rechargable portable lighting.

Reasons you need to be watching the Thrasher 2014 KOTR episodes:

- IMHO the best competition in skateboarding all year
- Ben Raybourn's "best vert" award
- Nyjah hitting 4 different challenges with one girl
- The "best prank" from team birdhouse
- A goddamn ton of amazing skating from all the teams, especially when it comes to attacking truly hosed up rails no one should be trying
- So far only one vid of people drinking their pee
- Tricks over girls twerking
- This years shots of moms and cops who can do kickflips

A bit late for it, but now I've watched it all today. What a great series. Nyjah is a machine. Lots of fun, both crazy and technical, quality stuff.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
I needed to take some major time off due to delicious tropical illnesses. My game has stepped up a thousandfold since I started to bring my board to the commute, and now taking it around the city is nearly second nature. Really good for me. I can now ollie, but only stationary because I'm a goofus. Trying to make something practical out of it.

Now, for a very specific question for goons with experiences with markets outside the US: What is your take on international skateboard industries? A friend of mine from Peru has recently visited my country and got interested in skateboarding. She's now back in her home country and wanted me to help her out with the purchase of a skateboard, complete or otherwise. Turns out all their online stores have is imported parts, naturally sold at a premium. I know better than to trust online stores 100%, but it still struck me as very odd.

Here in Brazil the skateboard industry seems to be very competent, innovative at best and good enough in the very least. Imported parts are seen as inherently better, but you can go national without having to do it only to prove a stupid point without missing anything. The standard deck here is made of another wood, marfim (ivory?), which grows locally. It feels hard and it's heavier than maple, but it's a lot cheaper, being a local wood, and more than just good enough. I'm obviously a noob so take my opinions with a liberal amount of salt.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Good going. How is your current setup like? I'm a bit frustrated by the weather. One thing I'm trying to work on is my switch push, so I can just abolish pushing mongo and maybe get both of my legs to work together. I wish I could just progress faster.

Helmets. Do any of you have good recommendations for them? I'm considering to buy one. What should I look for?

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir

Zigmidge posted:

Just wanted to share these here. Designed some rad poo poo for our swap meet and gave them away in a raffle. The whole graphic is laser etched into the top sheet which is stained blue and I outlined/traced the information bits in white paint.

Those are some interesting shapes, props on the design and the event.
I'm going to travel pretty soon, so I should be a little bit tight with money. But if I do go to the local store's miniramp, I'll just stop renting helmets for a pittance and I'll buy one. My main concern is that my head is kinda big, so I can't just shop blindly. So everyone's tips, as usual, are much appreciated. I'd like getting the Predator helmet, love the brim.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Strathcona TOP chill board. There's at least a couple of usernames in that sentence. Cool setup.
A bunch of streets and avenues in my hometown are getting fresh new pavement. It's awesome to just go around town skating, feeling the terrain, enjoying the not-so-great outdoors. I've been really enjoying life lately.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
So I reassembled my previous setup, given that my shape's tail is opening up like a flower and is on its last days. Since I'm going to travel and not about to buy another so soon, I just decided to turn it into a cruiser-like thingy again so it has some dignity in its final days. Of course the deck is going to a kid anyway as soon as it's replaced.

It's an abomination. But the 60mm wheels make the commute to work an absolute breeze, and pushing up the slight uphill street is now as simple as pie. This really takes the workout of the commute, though, so I'll avoid doing that everyday, and take my proper setup with 54mm hard wheels as often as I can. It's just that my chronic knee pain is returning, and take can really take the soul off me. I need a local skating buddy so we can be kooks together and maybe work to change that. Just maybe.

Pics later (or not at all, as both setups are made with the cheapest BR BR HUE parts available [except for the Bones Reds cuz im stylin])

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Quick shoe question. Between DC, Etnies, Nike and Vans, which brand would be my best bet? I need a new pair of skate shoes and these are the brands the local skate store works with, aside national stuff, which I'll definitely check out as well. I want something light and comfortable.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Low content post, yes, but it saddens me to see the thread so quiet. I have a new deck for my setup. Nothing fancy, just a cheap mini logo 7.5 that I got for a nice price and that suits my trucks better. I rode it once, as I'm going through physical therapy for my ankle tendinitis, but riding with a good, narrow deck feels like a game changer. As for the shoes, I bought a pair of red Nike SBs Zoom Oneshots. Or something like that, as I didn't keep the box. I'm very happy with them.

Unremarkable setup but it suits me. 7.5 Mini Logo deck, Diet 54mm wheels, Bones Reds bearings, 127mm Creme (?) Trucks. Medium bushings by Moog. The griptape job was poor but it's obviously not visible. I put the shoes on just for the pic -- it took me another week to finally be able to play in traffic!

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Nice setup, what's feeling real different from your last one?

And where is king of the road i need some king of the road

The trucks now match the deck -- I was riding a 8 inch Drop Dead, which is now on my designated cruiser. The maple feels super light compared to the Brazilian wood, it has a lot of pop, too. The skate feels like a tiny little toy now, but it still feels comfortable for my size 10 feet. If the weather allows, I'll cruise around with it in the weekend, even though rehab won't be done yet. I felt winded to death last weekend after riding it around town... Even before aggravating the injury, I was only riding the "cruiser" to make the most of the deck before replacing it. Soft wheels can pamper you quite a bit.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
What's the difference between vulcanized and cup sole shoes? I have just bought a pair of DC Chris Cole S shoes for a great price. I really like the fit, but I'm trying to understand what is the fundamental difference between them and the other shoes I had. They've yet to see the griptape, though. My trusted pair of beaters now has a hole that reaches the insole. Pix l8r. Also, I really should convince someone to snap some pictures of myself in "action".

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Knee busted. Suspected arthrosis. Just had a MRI today to check out what this could be. But I won't be able to skateboard for long. Somehow, I don't feel I earned this. I'm not doing some Jaws poo poo or anything like that. So for now, I'll just have to lick my wounds and clean my bearings. Do you have any personal choice on solvents? Especially on the cheap side, I've wasted too much expensive isopropyl that was meant to be used elsewhere. Is gasoline or diesel fine?

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
I did a fine job with kerosene after the gas stations wouldn't me sell fuel in regular bottles since it's against the law. It was easier in the end, since it doesn't stink as much. I ressurected my Indy bearings, so yay for kerosene. I made that Gatorade bottle bearing cleaner thing. The hardest find was actually finding a pen to decomission. I highly recommend making one of these.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Longboard-Bearings-Cleaning-Kit-Under-5-in-/

It's not the bearing cleaner I've made, but it's pretty much this. It makes the cleaning as easy as shaking the bottle like you're jacking it off and watching all of the nasty poo poo hidden inside the bearings show. Some of the bearings needed to be disassembled completely, as they were nearly stuck. I used singer oil for lubrication, although I've seen people claim it's not the ideal since it heats up faster. I really want to ride. I'm just waiting for the MRI results.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
I cried of laughter during both of the Tired videos. Quoth the meme, I love/am Tired. I skate only because I'm stubborn, because I'm not on a full set of knees and definitely not in the proper health to dick around on a stupid wooden toy around this m.a.a.d. city. So it's impossible not to identify myself with both videos. They're hilarious in a "laughing with them' kind of way. To pick up skateboarding was the best decision of my life.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Nyjah is off DC as of today. I guess his move to Nike is a done deal after all. He's no longer in the DC team site, and apparently has a video part due for midnight (in California?). He's making a truck load of money if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir

Parts Kit posted:

Stupid question-is skateboarding in random boots okay or will they mess with your ability to turn too much?

The flatter the soles are, the better, and it's not good to skate in anything slippery.
I've got a helmet now, so now I have no excuse not to start learning tranny. I have a hard time pumping, though. How do you even do that? I have a hard time doing that even in Skate 3, can't get the timing or the hang of it right. I've been taught to do it as if I'm in a swingset. Tomorrow I try again, and I'll remember to keep my trucks Nyjah tight... which is the opposite of what I've been trying to do all this time.