Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy
Man oh man, I bought a longboard about a month ago and today this tiny rear end twig wrecked me bad while I was out cruising around. It was almost like slipping on a banana peel and had the end result of landing HARD on my tailbone. I've only fallen 2 or 3 times prior to this but they were pretty minor, this one had me walking it off for a good while and gobbling some ibuprofen once I limped my rear end back home.

I never would have imagined how much of a menace pebbles and twigs are! Been having a ton of fun otherwise though, going from feeling like I'm walking a tightrope to where I am today (barely competent) has been a good experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy

admiraldennis posted:

** dumbass newbie hurts himself (of course) alert **

Skated a little bit in my early teenage years (now 28); got the urge recently and borrowed a cruisey longboard to start. Had a great first day of pushing around a parking lot and some flat roads, and a great second day of lightly cruising flat roads and some slight inclines. Went down one road too fast for me and got a little wobbly (at what seemed like not very high speeds) and had to run it off before dying.

Decided today (day #3) to practice footbreaking at increasing speeds. Started doing runs down this sidewalk (not from very high up! Like from where the first parked car is.) and turning right and footbraking before the building. On my 6th run or so I lost balance and fell on my knee and now I'm lying down icing it and writing this post!

Of course I'm going to hurt myself - this is skating - but any tips on getting incrementally better at speeds while minimizing injury? I don't want to go any faster than I can reasonably brake (thus the braking practice), but thinking perhaps I should spend more time cruising on flat land (getting comfortable on the board) before trying to practice skillz like this.

Comfort with using my foot to break just came with time for me. Basically every time you use your foot to push you're practicing for footbraking by developing the balance needed to stand with only one foot on the board, small inclines used to terrify me when I wasn't comfortable braking but now it's nothing. You could maybe try tightening your trucks to make it more stable but I would personally just wait it out.

As for minimizing injury, when you hit the ground avoid using your hands at all costs and roll like a motherfucker if you can to try and dissipate some of the impact force. Knowing this didn't stop me from breaking my wrist (instinctively sticking my hands out is a hard habit to break) but it's something to try and keep in mind during the split second between fall and impact if you can, haha.