Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Does anyone have any advice on learning to drop in on coping other than manning up and leaning forward? I just can't get it to happen.

I'm sure it doesn't help that I've been practicing this at Marginal Way in Seattle. It's probably the gnarliest place I've ever been. Any help would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Burnquist's part is loving ridiculous.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Did some sketchy frontside tailslides on the world's smallest quarter pipe today. I figure it's progress because when I showed up I was just trying to get fakie nose stalls.

And I also realized my deck has splits on a few hardware points so it's probably going to break soon.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zizzyx posted:

Also yesterday I thought I'd go down a short (steep) hill leading into my apartment complex, thought it was a great idea as I was zipping down... until I started getting crazy speed wobble and flew off my board and into the asphalt. More scars for the blood god!

Start learning how to powerslide on flat ground.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Seattle skaters: there has been some work on Marginal Way lately. They fixed the missing chunk in the corner and put in a channel drop-in there and did one half of the pipe that the channel leads into. They also took out the parking lot curb stick and smoothed out the bank that is right behind it.

I love Marginal Way. It's the only place to skate in the city regardless of the weather.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Going to Burnside for the first time today. Thankfully the weather finally let up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Arty farty photo from Marginal Way.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Here are some other photos of the spot.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's pretty gnarly and always under construction but it's really fun and it's the only spot to skate when it's raining.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mincher posted:

I want this. Let's hope Santa is reeeeaaallly good to me. :)

e: also, i'm loving the photoshop eraser graffiti!

The paint is actually covering up graffiti tags. The place looks really cool when the sanctioned art is up and not ruined by taggers. If you go through Flickr you can see all the old art and different stages of the spot as its been built up.

donJonSwan posted:

How is THAT empty?

This place is only busy in the afternoons and on the weekends. Most times I go there it's completely deserted (in the mornings) and lately even I don't go because it's so goddamn cold outside.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Dude has some skills but his style is sort of choppy. Maybe he just needs more speed or some bearing lube.

I've been digging on some hometown heroes lately:

Micah Hollinger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRZldYiIUSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzlgVViCowE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6hRCYW5NdY

Adrian Williams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86AH8LhVVKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoRGHZit5Hc

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zizzyx posted:

Still can't even land a shove-it though, but I'm pretty close. Do most of the tricks get easier to learn after you can kickflip and pop shove? Also, I am completely unable at the moment to ollie in any stance but regular, is it going to get harder to learn switch/nollie/fakie the longer I wait?

As far as shove-its go, I got way better at popping big ones after I got my foot position down solid for varial kick flips. For me it's the exact same foot position on the lead foot except with a shove-it you don't flick your toe back. Just pop the tail and it floats around.

As far as learning nollie and switch ollies further along in your progression, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll just get frustrated not being able to do any tricks regular or switch so you might as well just be frustrated with one set of tricks. I've been skating for years and I'm only just now getting around to loving around with switch and nollie tricks. It doesn't seem too hard... it's sort of like learning to skate again but you know that your body is capable of doing it so it's not as discouraging.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zizzyx posted:

I think I'll just have to try a few thousand more before I land one. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing axle stalls and rock&rolls before I ever land a flatground trick :(

That was probably the case with the majority of the pioneers of the sport so you're in good company :)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That looks sweet. A good indoor park is so awesome when you live in a place that gets a legit winter. Watching skate videos in Decmeber makes me want to move to Santa Cruz.

Last night I got heel flips back. Back to the point that they feel tons easier than kick flips. I think it's because my foot is way more solid flipping with the heel than it is with the toes. Also almost got nose manual > shove > manual down but couldn't commit to it in the low light.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

XIII posted:

Anyone else watched the "Wizard Smoke" video yet? I thought it was pretty cool

LINK: http://vimeo.com/7640196

Seems pretty gimmicky with the dust (pulling off of Jonez's work in Yeah Right for sure). Take away all the dust and slow motion and it's just another skate vid.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

donJonSwan posted:

The Machotaildrop trailer looks pretty cool, appropriately hipster-esque.

You did not link what you think you linked.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

In my experience, private skate parks often fail in a financial sense.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Fakie big spins are go.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

RobotEmpire posted:

How much do "real" skateboarders bother keeping their decks clean? My grip tape is getting kind of grimy but it still grips so I'm meh about it. Also, wheel & truck maintenance, do I need to do much if they're still moving?

Finally, it feels like my trucks have gotten looser/more agile since I first bought the board (when it was new). Is this normal or do I need to make sure my board isn't just going to fall apart one day?

Some people are super anal about not getting their grip wet and, in the long-run, that's going to make your deck last longer. If you keep it dry it keeps dirt from getting wet and mud-welding itself to the spaces between the grip texture. Personally, I've never re-gripped a board and by the time the grip has run its course, so has the deck.

As far as the trucks go, they will break in after initial use. If they're loose tighten them.

Also: I assume you mean regular decks and not longboards. I have no clue about longboarding.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

RobotEmpire posted:

There are a bunch of awesome tutorials on YouTube and Vimeo.

Whalley posted:

I've watched so many training videos

Anyway, it's all about positioning your feet over the trucks and pushing with your back foot to get the back of the board forward.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Whalley posted:

Do you shift your weight at all towards the nose? I don't know if it's just my streets or the way I balance or what, but I can't seem to slide the back at all unless I push my front foot further forwards past the truck, which means I wind up rear end-ending.

I guess forcing yourself to do a motion until you either get it or kill yourself is kind of what skating is all about, but I'd rather not gently caress myself too hard until it's at least cool enough weather here to wear long sleeved shirts.

I do not shift my weight forward at all. In fact I lean back with my upper torso and push my legs forward.

Just practice going a really slow pace and trying to kick the back end around 90 degrees. It will look and feel retarded but that's the general motion you need to get down. Bend your knees so you can suck up the sudden jolt of friction into your legs.

Also: like the guy above me said, some surfaces are better for this than others. This is one time I'd actually suggest skateboarding on wet pavement.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

God drat Tilt Mode Army gets me so amped to skate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks_7Cb20pHE

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Another thing that gets me so amped to skate: finally finding someone cool to skate with that isn't some loving weirdo or amazingly good.

He also turned me onto this indoor park in Seattle that I'd never even heard of: https://www.innerspaceskateboarding.com

Never before have I been so stoked.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Honestly, the only non-skate shoe that I'd ever consider skating in are Sambas. You need that totally flat sole for, like you said, a good grip surface.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

plester1 posted:

That place rules. Its definitely hard to find because its buried in an industrial park on Stoneway with almost no signage.

I think if I hung out with more skaters I'd have heard about it but I always just skate by myself at Marginal Way or Woodland Park when no one is there. I only just learned about it because a guy I worked with on Sunday started talking about skating with me and told me about it. I'm going to sign up for a year pass this week for sure.

Tonight I skated at the local school cement and finally landed some solid tricks. It has a nice 2' grass gap between two pads of cement that's great for getting learning poo poo. Heel flip, kick flip, fake big spin, varial flip, shove it all in full effect. Also landed a few solid nose manny to fs shove it (with an actual pop on the shove instead of just a spin).

Boo yah let's go skate.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 16, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zizzyx posted:

this is definitely off topic, but i'm looking to move to a new city where i don't know anybody and meet up with local skaters so that i have something fulfilling to do when i'm not working. i've always liked seattle, and i was wondering if any seattle skate goons had any advice for starting from scratch in the city.

So you're looking to move to a new city and considering Seattle? If so, this is the best time of year to do that if you want to start skating right when you get here because the weather is clearing up and it's getting warmer all the time.

There are a handful of good public parks that are really fun. Woodland Park has one, Seattle Center has one, Ballard has a bowl if that's your thing, and there is always Marginal Way.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zizzyx posted:

That all looks and sounds pretty great! The thing I'd be most concerned about, though, is the local job situation for non-college degree'd losers and the cost of living/housing. How is Seattle w/r/t those things?

The cost of living in Seattle isn't all that high but the job situation here is the same as it is everywhere: lovely but slowly improving. I was unemployed for a long time and only recently got a job two weeks ago. I don't know how the job market is for non college grads (or if that's even relevant given that my job just requires that you know how to troubleshoot computers).

I wouldn't move to a city where I had no ties if I didn't have a job lined up, though. That seems like a straight track to HoboVille.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mincher posted:

As long as they didn't fob you off with naff parts.

What the hell is going on with this strange tongue.

$60 means you probably get generic everything except the trucks which are probably Grind King or Royal or something else of that nature. If it's your first deck then I'd say go for it if only because you don't want to put $120 bucks into something you might not even want to do in six months.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Kids are pretty fortunate these days though they need to learn to stay off the drat lip! :bahgawd:

At one park near me there are stencils painted on the coping that just says DO NOT STAND HERE

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Minimaul posted:

What ever happened to the fear of getting beat up for being at the park and getting in peoples ways, or not being good enough? Kids these days...

That was back when there was one skatepark for 50 miles and basically anyone who was any good would skate there. Now there is a skate park (or three) in every city so the real estate isn't as valuable.

Kids do have it pretty nice these days. What with all of the public funding that goes into building skate parks that are well-lit and not made out of kicked-in bags of cement you bought for half-price (after you kicked them in yourself).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Minimaul posted:

True that.

I remember being about 5 or 6 years old and skating through airports on my hands and knees. Yay baby, I'm old school! haha. Back when airports were fun and skateboards had no noses.

I'm up here in Anchorage Alaska and we got a few dismal parks. I miss the good ole days of just going to one of the schools and spending all day skating there. Can't do that now, otherwise I'd probably skate a lot more. I don't like dealing with the parks cause they're small, crowded and filled with people I don't like anymore. The road out front of my apartment is too poo poo to skate on otherwise I'd get a box or a rail or something and shesh it up. Guess i'll just have to man-up and find a place to shred this summer.

All of the pavement in Anchorage (or Alaska in general) is poo poo. You should make friends with someone who can get you into the air force base because they have a decent skate park (or they did back in the late nineties).

Once the weather gets nice up there you'll be all set for weekend trips to Girdwood. I always had a blast at the park down there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What happened to Hanshew? I imagine by now they've put stoppers on the ledges and the steps.

Which is a real shame because that spot was the loving jam back in the day. Great spot to learn and even greater spot to watch the really good skaters go huge off the second and third ledges.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

In Anchorage the best thing you can do is buy a place with a smooth driveway. I lived off of Abbott in South Anchorage and had what was basically a three-lane road of asphalt that was 20 yards long.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

That's actually a pretty good idea. I wonder if it actually helps though?

It definitely helps with regards to photographers and onlookers who stop by when they see something going on. It's a public park down by the stadiums so that happens occasionally.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

RobotEmpire posted:

I had kind of a bummer day today. I woke up late and got caught up with some work-related poo poo, and didn't wind up able to get my deck taped and kitted out like I'd intended. I was looking forward to having a longboard AND a... wait, what do you call the normal boards?

Useful?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Are you saying that your skateboard gave you a staph infection?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Honestly, nose manuals were easier for me to learn than regular manuals. I'm not certain why this is but you might give those a go if you're having trouble just doing manuals.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Our Lord and Savior Nanuel.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Minimaul posted:

And then there are nose manual in which you have to lean way the gently caress forward :o !

One of my favorite things to do on smooth pavement is get a deep nose manual and actually slide the nose along the cement for as long as I can. It's never for very long though :shobon:

Yesterday I was almost landing three-flips but they were basically 270-flips. Soon they shall be conquered. I've also been working on popping into manuals instead of just dipping back/forward and loving hell it's hard to do.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sirkus posted:

A million youtube videos by some kids should be enough to tell you why you're landing 270. U NEED MOAR SCOOP!

I KNOW WHAT I NEED DAMMIT

Mostly I just need a new deck. The nose and tail are all so ground down that every time I get kissed by the end of the deck it draws blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

After a huge fall like that, I'd actually consider replacing the helmet.