Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'm getting ready to move to an area with some great parks and after probably 15 years of not really skating, I'm hoping this'll give me some motivation to get back into it. I've always sucked at street related poo poo, but coming from a surfing background, I love pools/bowls. Anyone have some recommendations for a good pool/bowl build? I just have no idea what's good these days in terms of manufacturers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Find a local skateshop and go there to buy stuff (not a place at the mall). I'd recommend getting a deck that's at least 8 inches wide, I prefer 8.5 inches. Get some Independent trucks that match the deck size, the nuts on the end of the trucks should line up fairly close the edge of the board give or take. Some Bones SPF (Skate Park Formula) Wheels, 54mm or bigger. MOB grip tape...or whatever they have at the shop. You probably don't need risers but they might be worth thinking about if you were used to riding them.

If prefer shaped boards you might check one of those out instead of the usual popsicle shape.

Personally I like ACE Trucks, they are similar to Independents but a local shop might not carry them though they could probably order them. ACEs = like Indy's but more turny/carvy IMO.

I was actually thinking closer to 9-9.5 to be honest, and definitely shaped. Whether people think they're dumb or not, just looking around at what's available online, I love all the reissues being put out of boards from when I was a kid... Hell yeah I want to be rocking a Mike McGill deck!

Thanks for the advice, I know one of the surf shops here has a decent selection of skate stuff, I'll have to check it out.

I also have a set of Randal 180mm 42º longboard trucks sitting around, but I'd imagine those probably wouldn't do me much good.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The shapes are making a come back with the youngsteres but FYI a reissue McGill deck will have much less concave and a smaller nose than a newer shaped decks from what I've seen. I'm riding my first shaped deck in a long time and would prefer it if the nose was a touch bigger.

I wouldn't try to use those longboard trucks.

I'd see what the surf shop has and take it from there, figure out what deck you want and build around that. You'll probably have to special order trucks wide enough for a 9 or 9.5 deck.

Word, thanks!

Also, just to provide a little content, I've had a good time watching all of Jeff Grosso's "Love Letters to Skateboarding" on Vans' youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEfn8qMSGQa8Yisy4mNhNa2VGnoUDCnEL

Grosso is kind of a lovable (or not) rear end in a top hat and it's funny to listen to a guy get salty about poo poo.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 30, 2016

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Actually the local shop had exactly what I wanted, so I went ahead and picked it up.

9 inch square(ish) tail fun shape.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

It's like the 70s all over again, but they don't get a pass because they should loving know better.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

now all I need are some bright green slide rails.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Lumpy posted:

It's like high school all over again!

That depends on if I walk around the mall carrying it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
This is the only sticker it needs:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah he is a singular being for sure

I was going to reply saying that he definitely seems to be on the spectrum... but I like the thought of Rodney Mullen being the embodiment of the spectrum compressed into a singularity.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Holy poo poo does Denver have some great parks.

I've been having a lot of fun in the flow bowls around town in my attempts to get up to riding pools and such. Still haven't been able to make it up to the coping (except in the really small bowls, but that's likely due to the fact that I can't drop in yet.

It took me a little while to get the whole "go fast" mindset, but it def is so much easier the faster you go.

I did make the mistake of attempting a frontside kickturn before I was ready and ate it loving hard...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I dropped in for the first time today and didn't kill myself, hooray!

Still haven't tried it on transition yet, but that should come quickly as soon as I can find a mellow bowl. I've also heard it's a bit easier when you have coping to lock into.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 10, 2016

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Zigmidge posted:

Do it on those four footers I see in the background. Miniramp is so much fun.

The one on the right side? Unfortunately that's a stand-alone... this place has no miniramp oddly enough :/

I can def use it as my next step up, but the scooter kids are constantly launching off that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Congrats! Dropping in on shallow banks to me is always a bit awkward. It feels like there is a little pause before you start to go after you put your wheels down. When you drop in on transition you just go, it's a more peaceful easy feeling.

Thanks, but I went back the next day and tried dropping in on that same ramp (after warming up) and ate poo poo, hard. I guess I hesitated and didn't get all my weight forward quickly enough. Kinda shook my confidence now.