Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Whalley posted:

:aaa: This makes things a lot easier! I'm clearly trying to run before I can walk, because despite handling speed, I'm so terrible with landing back on the board (total ollies in my life landed: one and a half (i don't count the one i did on grass as a full ollie)) but at least I managed to spin the board 90 degrees while stationary now. I didn't even fall*!

*straight away, although after my second attempt I couldn't stand up straight and accidentally went primo and landed on my rear end

If you are having trouble getting the board around it might be helpful to position your back foot so that the heel is hanging a bit off of the board, but still aligned over the back truck. This will give you a little bit better leverage as you can force it around with your heel. Push into the side of the deck, not necessarily on top of it.

I didn't realize this thread was here until now!

I'm a 33 year old who skated growing up until about 16 and and who got back into it about 2 years ago. It definitely took some work to get back in skating shape but now I'm having a blast and I'm better than I have ever been. It's amazing how many skateparks there are even in places that you wouldn't expect to have skateparks. Kids are pretty fortunate these days though they need to learn to stay off the drat lip! :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Bucket Joneses posted:

At one park near me there are stencils painted on the coping that just says DO NOT STAND HERE

That's actually a pretty good idea. I wonder if it actually helps though?

Minimaul posted:

What ever happened to the fear of getting beat up for being at the park and getting in peoples ways, or not being good enough? Kids these days...

When I was coming up there were no parks around our flat suburbia. Just launch ramps in the road and halfs in people's backyards so you were usually skating on something someone else built and you would have to play by the rules if you wanted in. With all the public facilities now kids don't seem to have to go through that experience of having to be appreciative towards those who actually took the time to build stuff to skate.

This reminds that when I was young the kids that could drive would skip school and steal our launch ramps while we were at school.

leica posted:

God I miss the 80's, vert was king and Hosoi was the man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p8fXhWBMlU

Did anyone else ride Slimeballs besides me? And I remember when Bullet 66's came out, it felt like my speed almost doubled riding bowls.

It's good to see Hosoi still going at even though he has apparently traded meth for Jesus. All these old dudes still skating is pretty motivating.

I had a few pairs of slime balls and I have been toying with the idea of trying to buy some old ones to put on a Kendall reissue deck I have. The first pair I had came on my first real skate board setup that I bought used. The deck was a Kevin Staab Mad Scientist and I was so stoked to have it. I had been skating a Nash Skate or Die that I had gotten my mom to buy me from Belks.

edit: I wish I could find a pic of the Skate or Die. Here is an Executioner though. I would wager that more knees touched these things than feet.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 25, 2010

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Bucket Joneses posted:

It definitely helps with regards to photographers and onlookers who stop by when they see something going on. It's a public park down by the stadiums so that happens occasionally.

Ah I see. My beef is with the young skaters who can't seem to keep their boards off the lip while people are skating. I try to be nice about it and let them know it's not cool. Some are cooperative but others just keep being morons. I try not to let it get on my nerves that much as I don't want to be the old guy threatening little children at the park.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Rockefeller posted:

how do you put your weight forward and simultaneously raise the nose to do it? it seems like I have to put more weight on the back to raise the front which makes the board go backwards a little.

edit: v cheers for the tips

It might be helpful to think about the back truck/wheels while tic-tacing. It seems that basic principle requires shifting your weight in a manner that causes one wheel of the back truck to move forward while keeping the other wheel semi stationary and using it as a pivot. As a regular footer I tend to start tic-tacing by leaning/turning to my left side using the left back wheel as the pivot point which kind of pushes the right wheel forward a bit. Your front wheels are kept up until you get some movement and then they are put down to kind of stop you from continuing in that direction allowing you to start the same process in the other direction.

This is from memory so I'm not 100% on this being how it works, but this is how it seems to work from behind my desk right now.

One thing I would definitely keep practicing regardless is just trying to hold a manuel in a stationary position or moving. Just trying to keep your balance will show you the movements that can be made by shifting your weight around on the back truck.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Sirkus posted:

Seriously....

You left off the best part.

quote:

The best quality hard-rock maple decks and an unrivaled patent-pending printing process make this the best skateboard available in the world. :toot:

It could be a lovely deck or a decent deck...there's one way to find out! They have to get it supplied by someone who makes decks so they might have actually used a decent supplier. Who knows.

Speaking of decks I found it interesting to learn that most quality decks are made from Canadian Maple trees that grow around the great lakes. Something about the hot wet summer and cold dry winter (or vice versa) makes the wood especially "poppy".

As for hardware do what the Sir says.

Sirkus posted:

Trucks: Independents or Independents
Wheels: Spitfire or Spitfire
Bearings: Any Bones (Reds, Swiss, whatever)

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
It's cool to see you guys getting stoked about things. Learning something new always comes with such a awesome feeling of accomplishment. I can't compare it to anything. It is my favorite feeling.

I rolled my ankle pretty badly last Wednesday. I hope to be skating again in the next couple days. It's pretty cool how you can twist your ankle and end up with a bruise that wraps around the lower side edges of your foot.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

contrantidipsomania posted:

I think I might try get back into skateboarding this summer.

You should definitely do it. You will get back into decent shape after a few weeks. After not skating regularly for about 10 years I found it to be a tremendous workout when I first started up again. I would skate flat ground for a couple of hours and find my self exhausted and sore that evening and the next day. It gets better though and before you know it you will be better than you used to be. I'm old so found it helpful to do some stretching before getting started. I do about 4 sun salutations (yoga) and leg stretching before getting on a board. It always helps me feel more in touch and in control of my body. It also makes awkward groin stretching bails less painful.

Just skate and don't worry about anything or anyone else. It's fun, rewarding and relaxing. You will love it and wonder why you ever stopped.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm almost done with a 2' tall 5' wide micro quarter for my drive way. I'm trying to determine whether to use Masonite (hardboard) or plywood for final layer. It's been a long while since I built any ramps and back in the day when I was young and had a half pipe I covered it with Masonite one time and it warped/bubbled terribly after the first time it rained.

So I'm seeking the advice of someone with more current experience. I don't mind covering this quarter with a tarp. Which would be the better way to go, plywood or Masonite?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Whalley posted:

dropping in

Dropping in is one of those things that you have to fully commit to or you will end up in bad positions. You want to keep your shoulders directly over your knees/feet, don't let your upper body turn left or right. You need to keep straight which means your shoulders need to stay perpendicular to the ramp. You have to fully commit to stomping down with a good amount of weight on your front foot. You want to make your front wheels touch the ramp as soon as possible. Most people first learning have too much weight on the back foot which causes the board to shoot out forward and they fall back. Bend your knees and stay low/semi-crouched.

If the ramp is small enough and you can't go on your own you can have someone stand down in the flat directly to the side your chest faces and hold your hands. The idea is that this person should be strong enough to keep you from eating poo poo should you start falling back when you come down the ramp, but they also need to let go if you make it down OK. It's kind of sketchy and seems to work well with smaller kids. I recently helped someone bigger than me by doing this though.

But yeah it's scary and that's normal. Once you get the drop in you will notice the same feeling about other tricks or when you drop in on higher ramps. Once you get it you will be amazed out how easy it is. It is totally a mind over body thing.

Oh and don't go up there, get in position and contemplate your fate. Get up there and do it. Don't give your self time to think about it.

You can practice dropping in on a bank or wedge ramp without transition, it makes it a little less intense and you can get the motion down. Then take it to transition

donJonSwan posted:

I would go with masonite and get some weather protection to paint onto it.

Post pics once it's built.

Will do! Got the Masonite on last night now I just need to get the metal sheet material for the bottom of the ramp.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 7, 2010

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
With the guidance of this website: http://diyskate.com/quarter_01.html

I built a small quarter for my driveway. It's 2' tall and 5' wide. Here's what it looks like:

Click here for the full 1200x796 image.

Click here for the full 1200x933 image.

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

Click here for the full 1200x927 image.

The original sheet metal in the first three pictures didn't work out. It was too thin. I replaced with another piece that was a bit thicker shown in the last picture. It seems to be working out OK.

My driveway is kind of rough but I got some big soft wheels from a friend today to smooth things out and I'm enjoying my new spot at home.

I probably should have tried to get in contact with a metal shop to get the coping and threshold material but I just tried to get what I could from Lowe's. The only suitable coping at Lowe's or Home Depot was 10' of 2'' galvanized rigid conduit which is in the electrical section. I got the guy in the plumping pipe cutting area to cut it for me. The conduit at Home Depot was rougher and a few bucks more.

http://www.diyskate.com/ is a great site if you interested in building just about anything.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 9, 2010

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I can't seem to fine where you can get the video on the Berric's site. It was there when I looked the other day.

Am I an undeniable moron?

http://theberrics.com/dailyopspost.php?postid=1945

edit: I assume they are still working through their technical difficulties.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 18, 2010

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

teamgod posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm obviously looking for a good pair of shoes that won't destroy my wallet. Know of any low(er) end shoes that are still great for skating?

You might take a look at 6pm.com, they sell some pretty cheap shoes sometimes if you are comfortable acquiring them this way. I have a wider foot so I find it hard to mail order things. Most shoes are a bit too narrow so I have to try them on.

This link narrows things down to men's skate shoes: http://www.6pm.com/search/shoes/fil...oLiveDate/desc/

They have had some pretty good deals in the past. Example I got two pairs of Dekline shoes for $15.00 a pair about a year ago. I didn't like the soles though, they were not as grippy as I would like.

Edit: It's kind of funny how Nike has carved out their niche. I was kind of out of the loop when they first got involved with skate shoes but I remember thinking "Good luck with that Nike, hahaha" :smug:

I thought they wouldn't be accepted at all... They showed me I guess.

boydx posted:

Dropped in for the first time today, thank gently caress for that.

Hi Five!

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 22, 2010

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
This kind of segues to something that I've wanted to bring up regarding footage. It seems documenting your skateboarding is kind of a generational thing. As an old man skater (34) when I was coming up it wasn't that easy to record and edit footage so it was not that common. My old man stance on the issue is that it takes away time from actually enjoying skating and makes things more stressful. Also it seems a bit vain. Of course if someone records me doing something I'm interested in seeing it, it's just that I wouldn't go out of my way to document things with a camera.

These days it seems that filming goes hand in hand with riding a skateboard and that's kind of weird to me.

Tell me how old and out of touch I am. I'm not discounting or dumping on anyone and I enjoy seeing people skate, it's just that I don't seem to personally want to take the time to film things. Maybe if I thought I was going to be a pro or something, I don't know...

VVV Cool! I didn't realize http://skate.ly/ was goon run. I have seen the site linked to several times in this thread. Go figure that the best looking web page I've seen for a shop is goony.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 25, 2010

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I agree with previous posters that it's best to learn while rolling forward but I think sometimes it is easy to forget how challenging learning the movements of the ollie can be. Learning how it works while rolling might be a tall order at first...

If you are just trying to learn how to pop the ollie it might not be a bad idea to do it on grass or carpet so as to minimize the board shooting out. But once you get it popping you need to get on the concrete ASAP.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

RobotEmpire posted:

Yeah I try mostly on grass just to get the motion but without someone to watch and critique it's kind of hard to troubleshoot my technique. I'm gonna keep the short deck but it'll be a weekend thing. Longboard gets a daily workout.

This guy has a youtube channel dedicated to teaching you skate tricks. He's not the most radical aggro dude but he seems to have the most thorough and detailed explanation of tons tricks in one place.

How to ollie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTp5_jSPJE4

You might start trying to mess with shuv-its too: http://www.youtube.com/user/aronl#p/a/776569A68D8B5A43/1/DnCJStZaO8Q

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/aronl#p/a

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 2, 2010

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Sweet Photo!

Bucket Joneses posted:

I'm just going to buy a Flip and put it on a gorilla pod. When you're skating by yourself you can just set up a camera at a spot and skate without bothering it. Then you cut down the footage later and look at what looked good and what looked Totally Whack.

I actually have a Flip and a little tripod. Thanks to you I set it up to record my self on my new little quarter in my driveway. Upon viewing the footage I've learned I need to stop skating it like a pussy and start skating it like a man who knows what he is doing. So thanks for the advice. It's all about style.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

TheJetCityFix posted:

I used to drop into halfpipes when I was younger, but that was long ago. My buddy only does bowl riding, and I really want to get back into skating and pretty much focusing on bowl. I love just cruising around on my board.

Do it. Though it is a good idea to have insurance in your situation. But do it! I started really trying to ride bowls last summer when the new cement park close to me opened. It's a bit scary at first but just ride around how ever you are comfortable and will become easier and easier. Don't worry about doing any lip tricks, just focus on riding the bowl and getting comfortable. Pay attention to the lines other people take and try to copy them. Don't be afraid to ask others who ride it for advice. Most likely they will be happy to share as they were probably once in your situation. Bowls are pretty neat in that they kind of level the playing field with the youngsters. Most of the kids flipping into crooked grinds on the park ledges don't look so pro when you get them in the bowl. The bowl takes some getting use to. Also I'm older than you so do it. I started back skating a couple years ago after not skating at all for about 10 years. I'm 34 now.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Obscuritatem posted:

Breezeblocks, pallets, gnarly wasteground and a blue sky. That's some skating nectar right there. Love it.

I heard someone say something like this in some thing that I watched: Skateboarders are the are the artist of the industrial landscape. They use the purpose built and the forgotten pieces of this landscape to create art.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm 33 and skate with some dudes pushing 40. Hush your mouth about old!
/
:corsair:

Edit: It is really amazing how much things have progressed and changed and it makes me all sentimental. Skating around with these youngsters at the park is a pretty great way to forget how old you are and just enjoy life. Last summer a friend had a quarter we would pull out into the street in his neighborhood and skate. He had two kids of his own and there were other neighborhood kids and we would all just hangout in the road and dink around on the ramp. They would do their silly things with bikes, scooters, footballs etc. and we would skate. It felt like I was in 5th grade again and that is actually kind of cool. Not a care in the world.

That's the amazing thing to me about skateboarding. It's like a fountain of youth. Even though you may be physically limited by your age that does not mean that you can't experience the same enjoyment.

Don't worry about the other skaters. Just skate. Some are able to spend more youth, time and energy on it but most everyone is doing it for the same reason. Feels good man.

so there's that...like I said it makes me all sentimental. Shred or dead!

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 24, 2010

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
You get someone to throw it to you while you jump off the side to try and catch it in the air, duh...

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm 6' and I've been skating 8'' since I started back a couple years ago. That should be fine though I wouldn't go with anything smaller. You'll probably need to get new trucks so yeah the new complete is probably the way to go. If you don't end up getting something local check out this goon run website that offers goony discounts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3297961&pagenumber=1

I encourage you to dive right in again. I wish I had never stopped. You still have some youth on you so get crackin'!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
So I'm headed to Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle NC for the coming week. Does anyone know about any parks that are a reasonable distance from there. The Skate Barn in Hampstead is about the only possibility I've run into so far but it is a little over an hour away.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I bought a new complete this weekend. I had been skating on an 8'' deck since I started back a couple years ago. I made the switch to an 8.25'' with Indy 159's and it really makes a big difference. To put it simply the board just stays attached to my feet better. I wish I had done this a while back.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Wait...he ollied across and up that gap...starting from where the trees are?
Initially I thought he had come from the side walk that you see the cords on.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Oh wow. I didn't realize there was a proper way to hold a skateboard when you are not riding it.

I'd like to thank ESPN for educating me on this topic as I have looked to ESPN for years regarding proper skateboarding etiquette: http://espn.go.com/action/skateboarding/blog?post=3929253

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Sirkus posted:

Look at what I just picked up...
The loving Future Primitive Graphic complete with Tracker trucks.

Nice catch! I remember being about 11 or 12 and for my friend's birthday party we went to Endless Grind in the big city of Raleigh NC as it was the most hugest skate shop within hundreds of miles and my friend got that deck as a complete. I think I bought some stickers and some of those foamy patches you could stick on the bottom of your board to get a better grip.

It's funny how kids can spend an eternity picking out stickers. Do you blow all your money on one big one or a variety of smaller ones?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Sirkus posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HURzHtw52Dg&feature=player_embedded

Dylan Reider has that pretty boy look with the man pop geez. It's not the original audio in the video by the way.

Nice. I think I saw an ollie impossible to tail grab over a huge fence gap.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

roastpork posted:

I only recently picked up skateboarding, completely missing out on learning anything during my teen years, and I feel like I'll always be that wobbly dude who sucks poo poo. :( I don't want to be busting poo poo like Hsu, but just being able to ollie and actually use my board for riding around places would be sweet. Like sometimes I can roll my foot up the board, but my other foot doesn't cooperate - or I just jump clear off the board like a spaz.

Recently, I moved to the Massachusetts north shore, and I'm thinking pretty hard on trying to find someone to help encourage me to keep going. :ohdear:

Keep at it. Don't get discouraged. Every time you get on the board you are just a little bit better than last time. Your goals are totally within your reach but it will take a little time. If you meet up with some other folks don't be afraid to ask for tips but be specific about what you are interested in learning. (ie. "how does it feel when you x?" Everyone starts somewhere.

If you have a flat cement spot close to home get out there as much as you can and just do stuff. Concentrate on doing good kick turns and manuals this will help you with your balance and comfort level. If you don't have a good spot you can get out to every other day or so try to get on the board inside just trying stationary manuals/nose manuals. It will help you. Learn how to ride the board then worry with tricks.

Here's a good how to ollie trick tip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTp5_jSPJE4

Skateboarding is physics. If something isn't work right examine it and think about it. Don't blame it on your lameness. There is a reason it isn't doing what you want it to, try to find it and work on it. Once you are closer then it's repetition/muscle memory.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

ssergE posted:

I seem to have an issue with not keeping my weight centered (or a little too far to the back), and the board feels like it is getting away from me.

Oh well, got to stick with it.

Bend your knees and lower your center of gravity. You will be less wobbly. Keep your shoulders over the board and parallel to it. I see lots of folks trying to ride with their shoulders perpendicular to the board, this makes it harder to stay balanced. Also make sure your feet are perpendicular to the board and directly over the bolts (while you learn) instead of putting your front foot parallel or something like that. The most important thing is doing it a whole lot.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

iRoNgHosT posted:

Let me know what you guys think.

Your bro rips!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
This belongs here:

Wonder Woman chasing down bad guys on a skateboard from the old live action show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y_Gro8hRBE

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

suadeo posted:

Haven't skated in like 9 years. I just picked up a blank board with some blank wheels and thunder trucks from CCS. Anyone else who just started getting back into skating again feel a bit like an embarrassed old timer? Feels good just skating an empty parking lot again though.

I was in a similar situation about 2 years ago. I skated a lot growing up then from 18-22 kind of off and on and then no skating at all until I was 31 and started up again.

I started back in an empty parking lot too getting the basics back. It took a couple of months of soreness but now I get out as much as I can. It really helped that a nice cement park was finished with in 15 minutes of my house about a year ago. I go there as much as my schedule allows.

At this point I'm better than I ever was as a youngster and I feel like a retard for not skating all the years I didn't. It is really great for the body and mind.

edit: So keep at it, it will get easier!

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 3, 2010

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Cirofren posted:

I was a little unsure about the amazing skater bit but this episode today really cemented it. Definitely someone you could love to hate but respect.

:smug: My go to tricks aren't gay :durr:
So can anyone name any notable skaters who are competitive assholes?
gently caress that guy.

edit: Maybe Steve Rocco?

Forrest doesn't skate transition? What is he even doing in this? That's pretty lame. It seems like that should be some sort of requirement as long as we are making skateboard competition reality shows.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 18, 2010

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Sirkus posted:

What about Mango? He doesn't seem to skate anything.

He seems to skate things. I kind of like him actually. I like that style some people have where it looks like they are about to bust rear end on every trick.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
50 years into the future: No mom I! god! I can't go skate my min ramp remember? Like 1/3 of the interactive displays are out...jeez, it's so lame.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Babysnakes! posted:

The people hating on forrest are retarded. He's good at what he does. I enjoyed watching him kill that double set much more than the other dudes doing mediocre transition poo poo.

I'll admit that I'm old and that probably has some bearing of my opinion on Forrest and my lack of respect for throwing bangers down stair sets. It's just not that fun for me if that's all someone has got. In my opinion you don't need to be hanging with pros if you are going to have a retarded opinion about skating transition. Also he is a jerk and jerk skateboarders are no fun and in my opinion is kind of the antithesis of it all. He may be a good skateboarder but he doesn't get what many seem to agree skateboarding as a life style is about. I dont fault him for that, i just think he is not what they mean to promote in a contest of this nature.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

donJonSwan posted:

Weather for Santa Ana, Ca

Sun - 77°F | °C

Mon - 79°F | 55°F

Tue - 81°F | 52°F

Wed - 76°F | 49°F

:11tea: Heading outside, riiiiight now.

I just got back from skating at the local outdoor cement park in Western North Carolina. I took two shovels and a broom to clear the snow. It's broken 40° two days in a row. I saw the sun today :smith:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Bucket Joneses posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDH6Q22d1zo

He loving primo slides into a stair set.

Oh yeah, I think I had intentionally forgotten that I had seen this before. Ridiculous...

/goes to land everything in one foot manuals.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I was dumping on him. Everything is just so tech it makes me want to forget that people do stuff like this.

edit: Rodney Mullen is a dork and he can't help that :(

Rodney Mullen Skateboarding Tricks Invented:

* Flatground Ollie
* Godzilla Rail Flip
* 540 Shove-it
* 50-50 Saran Wrap
* Helipops (360 Nollie)
* Gazelles
* No Handed 50-50 Kickflip
* Heelflip
* Double heelflips
* Ollie Impossible
* Sidewinders
* 360 Flip
* 360 pressure Flip
* Casper 360 Flip
* 50-50 Sidewinders
* One footed Ollie
* Backside 180 Flip
* Ollie Nosebones
* Ollie Fingerflip
* Airwalks
* Frontside Heelflip Shove-its

* Switchstance 360 Flips
* Helipop Heelflips
* Kickflip Underflip
* Casper Slides
* Half Flip Darkslide
* 540 double kickflip
* Caballerial impossible
* Half-cab kickflip underflip
* Handstand flips
* Rusty slides
* Kickflip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
It's kind of interesting. After the years of me not paying attention to skateboarding one of the first videos I saw that got me up to date was Rodney Mullen vs. Daewon Song. At the time it floored me as I had no idea things were so tech. In retrospect I didn't realize how ugly Rodney's style was. This becomes more obvious each day. I think he is a super cool dude but all those years of staying in one spot doing free-style didn't help his style out at all. The thing is without all those years of free-style ugliness things wouldn't be where they are today. Double-edged sword and all that.

It's like if a hunchback skated.