Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Battle at the Berrics was pretty good,

http://www.theberrics.com/batb.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
This is going to be my first summer in Montreal and the weather has been kind of nice lately so I've been discovering tons of spots. My friend and I just made a pole jam that is super fun near McGill New Residence, if you can find it don't give too much poo poo to the people that kick you out or it'll probably get fixed.

I'm going to be in Ottawa over the weekend probably going to check out Legacy park and random street skating, hopefully get some footage. If enough goons are into it, maybe we can submit some footage in and make a montage video. I know they have similar projects on skate perception, but it would be cool to do it for goons.

Question: I'm riding the new Indy trucks with the "forged" metal and they are hella light. They're the 139 lows, will this fit a board smaller than 8"? I'm thinking of creeping down to 7 and 7/8's but I don't want the trucks to over hang and feel all wonky.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I've given up searching for skate forums as they are all pretty much what you quoted above.

I do check some skate blogs though;

http://youwillsoon.blogspot.com/

http://boiltheocean.wordpress.com/

http://www.crailtap.com/

I occasionally check what the kiddies say on the SLAP boards, but it's pretty much "lol berra sux he skates fake poo poo"

http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=33&

Skate Perception is a pretty good forum if you're a filmer or photo g.

http://forums.skateperception.com/

As for kickflips, I can't help ya*. My trick tips are pretty poo poo. Ok put your feet like this (and I do it on my board) then this (and then I do the trick).

*Jump forward, flick diagonally

Sirkus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 6, 2009

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Being a student my past 3 decks have been shop decks, skates fine. A nicer shape than most pro's I've skated (small tail big rear end nose).

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

quote:

Wish we could say this is a belated April Fool’s, but unfortunately that isn’t the case. As of today, Eric Koston will no longer be a part of Lakai Footwear. We have arrived at this decision mutually and believe it will ultimately create a better situation for all parties involved. We thank Eric for his contributions to Lakai over the last three years and wish him well wherever his path may lead.

http://www.theberrics.com/dailyopspost.php?postid=947

http://www.lakai.com/index.php

Kind of interesting that he's leaving Lakai, but I'm not too devasted, as long as he doesn't leave the crailtap family...

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Speaking of bearings how do people clean them? Do you take the shield off? What lube are you using? Hot water soak?

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
qirex, I figure he's going to go to Nike since he is a huge sneaker head

Air Kostons?

Who knows though, I never expected him to leave Lakai.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

zeroordie posted:

Also interested to see what happens with Koston now. I thought it was strange that they staged a fake press conference to announce he had left the team. It made sense for the "on the team" announcement but seems kind of weird for him leaving. Also really looking forward to The Berrics moving on from the weekend pizza party videos.

Well, Lakai is under crailtap (which includes Fourstar, Girl, and Royal all of which Koston still rides for) so I think they are all just goofing around doing the press conference like that.

Plus, it's a shoe sponsor, I think if he left Girl (board sponsor) it would create even bigger waves.

Weather in Montreal, Canada has been super good I'm burnt from skating outside all weekend. I just picked up CHOMP ON THIS at the local shop forgot how funny it was. It's what skatings all about (but I'm sure I could say that about 20 other videos).

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I tore some ligaments in my ankle skating a 13 set, I'm out 4-6 weeks. gently caress.

Thanks DELETED for the bearing clean write up, I just ended up buying these no name German bearings from the local shop. They are amazingly smooth and fast. One of the shields came off and now when I [used to] roll around they'd make a bad rear end ringing sound.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

shark week posted:

The reason he left is that Lakai couldn't afford him. So to keep Lakai afloat he left them and got the big offer from Nike. After what Alex Olson got Im sure its a lot of cash.

Olson went to Vans not Nike. But yeah, probably a lot of cash. He did release a statement saying that he was really interested in the creative aspect of the new relationship too. This doesn't to me as a big surprise as to how similar the Koston 1 through 3's looked really similar to Nike Dunks, Jordans and Blazers.

WHATEVS SISTER is right though, it's not like he's left his other crailtap brands, Girl and Fourstar. If Koston switched board sponsors I think that would be a much bigger deal. Shoe switch? Everyone knows Koston loves his checkmarks.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Shortymrbig posted:

I'm really diggin' those MJ2s. Besides my Vans classic I have a few pairs of Vans AV Sk8-Lows.

Maybe I should wear those more often if I could find them :/

My friend skates the AV SK8 Lows and loves them. I'm skating half cabs and some DVS Gavins right now (by now I mean 2 weeks ago before I sprained my ankle). The DVS' are holding up better than the half cabs (not surprised) and they were only 10$ more. Lakai make some pretty solid (light weight) shoes too.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

OhhCrap posted:

I feel pretty spoiled looking at the prices people are quoting in this thread. There is this guy who runs a website (that doesn't seem to be up anymore..) selling cheap skateboards and BMX bikes. His tiny warehouse was about 8-10 minutes away from my house if we skated, and he'd let all the kids from around here go in and buy boards instead of having to order online. He would sell pro decks for more than half the price at some shops. I got probably a dozen different decks (Girl, Alien Workshop, and various others) for $30 each. I haven't skated in about a year and a half, and he moved his warehouse about 20 minutes away driving.

Ugh... I'm skating a local teams blank decks right now and they still run me around 55$ CAD. Pro models are 80-99$ with grip. I was going through a phase where I was breaking a board once every few weeks. That was ridiculous I don't even weigh that much (140 Pounds), I had to change the way I was catching my trey flips... I was starting to put boards ahead of food.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Free download of the new Nike AM Video...

http://www.nike.com/nikeskateboarding/debacle/

Daryl Angel had a pretty heavy hitting part, I liked the video. It's one of those videos I can watch before skating and not have to commit 40+ minutes to (for example, Lakai Fully Flared).

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

I almost feel like I'm limiting myself if I get anything other than a 7.5" street board, since I know flip tricks just aren't feasible on anything else, yet I pretty much only board at the park. Is there any board that will really fly around the bowls and yet still be good for flip tricks? Is the Ceviche worth anything?

If I'm just building a 7.5" or 8", the thread seems to suggest getting a local deck, Indy trucks with Bones medium bushings, Bones red (or black??) bearings, and I have no idea what wheels would be good for my purposes.

Thanks again for the thread and for any help you can give!

You can flip any board really, it's a matter of preference. I'm skating a local team 7.75 right now and I skate everything (bowls, ledges, rails, rocks, trees). That park looks like a lot of fun, you should just go into your shop and see what you like whether it be a 7.5, 7 3/4, 7 7/8, 8 or whatever.

Also Battle at the Berrics 2 is up this weekend, Mike V. was a thumbs down game for me, he didn't really seem too stoked to be there and playing (I wouldn't either if I was playing Chris Cole...) The Busenitz vs. Jamie Thomas game was pretty good, Busenitz has such good style. I have him losing against Chris Cole when they play in the 2nd Round though.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

donJonSwan posted:

Paul Rodriguez is a loving beast.

His new commercial for Nike SB is pretty drat good too.

That switch tre flip was amazing. I love the Ice Cube cameo too.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
The extended version of P.Rods commercial is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBWRfhBlX24

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
...So looser trucks on a longboard doesn't mean sharper turns?! :psyduck:

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
You will lose 1 CM of pop when doing any nollie or fakie tricks. It might get bad and start to peel off... I just try and stomp the chip back in if it's not too big.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I went up North this weekend to visit a friend of a friend that has a mini ramp in his barn.

Sorry for the "lifestyle" shot but it's the only one I could find with a good view of the ramp and barn atmosphere.

Click here for the full 1072x712 image.

It got pretty gnarly at one point, there was a crazy storm and the power would go on and off. Not to mention we were in a barn with a ton of hay, one spark would have been deadly. If you look closely you can see the little fire extinguisher ready for action.

Click here for the full 1072x712 image.

Here's a blunt to fakie,

Click here for the full 740x1115 image.

My friend got himself a Nikon D90 and a fisheye, it definitely makes everything look better.

Some more pictures on his photoblog. Overall it was a pretty fun 3 day excursion of drinking and hanging out with the guys. We played a lot of Starfox 64 too, Andross is still a scary motherfucker.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

DELETED posted:

Oh, and aluminum cans. They wrap around your wheel.

Just ollie over that poo poo :v:

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

partipo posted:

Does anyone notice a difference between $200 ceramic bearings and regular $25 bearings?

I was just thinking that today as I bought a new set of bearings. I've never ridden ceramics though.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

foastwab posted:

I went through the same thing when I first starting skating. Really, the only advice I can give you is to just force yourself to go for it. You'll either A) Land it first try, B) Come close and realize that you can do it or C) Slam, get pissed, and then go for it again because you're upset.

Unfortunately, C is what happened with me most of the time.

foastwab pretty much got it spot on. I always try tricks I have no business landing and get option B or C... very rarely A though (never) :(

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
That's a good trick!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Jeff Wiiver posted:

The two "cops" are from the CBS show Cold Case.

Yeah that was insane I was tripping out the whole time thinking like, "what the gently caress..."

Has anyone seen Theotis Beasely clip on the altamont site? This is probably the nicest dude in skateboarding, doesn't have a single bad thing to say about anybody. The part about gator had me cracking up when Theotis stumbled.

http://altamontapparel.com/sxsw-tour-pt04/

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Shortymrbig posted:

Then I saw Mike V.

I wanna be just like him :3:

Oh god, liking Mike V. is a skateboarding faux pas! It's up there with mall grabbing, beaming, and snaking.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
The FLIP video was sweet. Standout parts were Rowley's, Burnquist's (Switch 540 on mega ramp???), Gonzalez's and Mark Appleyard's. People might not agree on the last Apples but he's from my home town so anytime I get to see new footage of him I get psyched, he has cleaaaaan style.

There was some grom steez from the likes of Louie Lopez and Luan De Oliviera, that I wasn't into but the movie was still good regardless.

It's 3 degrees Celsius here so I have to get all my skating in while I can.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Watched the feelin' minnesota video. The shots were all really good. The only thing that really bugged me was all the slow mo, especially during the ice shots. I get it, it was epic but I mean if I want to watch the video in the future I don't want to have to watch it at 2x speed. The tricks were all pretty good, the mini ramp sesh over the water looked super fun and the wheat field looked like a blast. My favourite part was the "first nice day of spring", everyone got some super good lines! It's cool you were a part of that soggybagel.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Dim, Tired, and Elderly posted:

If it's the direction of your toes, that's frontside.

Minus frontside flips, front shuvs, f/s big spins, f/s heels and all those other frontside tricks that go behind you.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Just bought this:

So stoked for it to get here.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
High trucks + riser pads?

But still, you shouldn't be buying 62mm wheels for a street deck. It's weird the dude at the shop didn't say anything.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Find an old cruiser board, and throw the wheels on em. Shop wheels are usually only about 20$ see if you can get hooked up. Otherwise just skate your wheels.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Help these guys out in SAMart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3229542&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Alien Workshop - Mind Field

Photosynthesis

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Wow I looked it up on Google, that looks amazing. Looks like a sweet skate scene.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I'm seriously jealous of all the sweet concrete parks people seem to have access to.

The politics in Montreal pretty much prevent any decent cement park from being built. The architects don't want to hire private companies that specialize in building skate parks, so we end up with modular parks and travesties like this:

Luckily the scene here is pretty tight, I had a helping hand in constructing (moving wood around as the carpenters did their thing) this beauty:

There's a big over vert that you don't see in the picture but if you browse the site there are tons of good pictures. http://ndgskate.com/

It's a pretty small place but they're trying to fit everything and anything they can into that space, there used to be a mini ramp separate from the bowl but it blocked a doorway and the town said it had to be removed. They are building a small street course (think banks or quarter ramps at each end of the wall and a box or rail in the middle) alongside one of the walls. Anyways it'll keep me busy during the winter that's for sure.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Boppin, that bowl looks so sick!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Shania Twain posted:

I think much of the failure of private parks is due to the gigantic loans people take out with no way of paying them back. I know I might be a little optimistic thinking that the park we are building would be different, but having the capital to build and rent without loans means the park will not have the bank taking a large cut every time the park makes money. I'm not disqualifying your belief, but in my experience the city of Chicago has a couple lovely parks that can only be skated during the day in the right weather. A correctly designed indoor park can attract visitors during any weather, especially in a city with such a large population. Thanks for your response though.

Shania,

It's people like you who I'd like to personally thank.

Recently in Montreal some older guys set up and built an indoor bowl with a small street course complete with skate shop. I'm not sure how they are doing but no one skates for free, everyone (including local heros) understands that for a place like it to remain open is to pay up so the lights can stay on. The winters in Montreal are rough as hell and a place like this close, to a metro system is a godsend.

It's pretty small, and nothing on the scale that Team Pain is, but it has a good vibe and everyone is pretty level headed.

http://www.ndgskate.com/

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

RobotEmpire posted:

In other news, where in general is a good place to cruise? I don't mean like in my town, but what kind of places are good to go to? My kid and I are pretty tired of tooling around the neighborhood, and I don't want to just drive to a different neighborhood.

Get some pads for your kid and find some hills to bomb, one of the best feelings on a skateboard.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Mincher posted:

Today was spent carving the hell out of the park, bombing hills and landing switch ollies!

I'm actually still buzzing from an excellent day of skating! :D

I'm stoked for you! I've actually started to skate before I've gone out, just to get that buzz on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Powersliding on wet surfaces will make you get used to the motion of sliding and ruin your deck.

No tips for you though, I've been skating for 8 years and I still can't powerslide properly.