Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Got a basic longboard off amazon Tuesday and I've already fallen off 5 times and scraped up an elbow pretty decently. The elbow thing is particularly dumb because I figured I wouldn't need the pads today and didn't put them on despite having them handy.

Lesson Learned! :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Got a set of 10" independent trucks and stuck them on a fat rear end cruiser deck and holy poo poo on a shingle the independents rock. Light years ahead of the Yocaher whatevers that came on the Yocaher longboard.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Is there any reason I should not (carefully) add some wheel wells to this type of deck? I've got the tools to do it right and am thinking I might like to try that instead of downsizing the 70mm wheels that are on it.
http://www.amazon.com/Moose-School-Skateboard-Deck-Natural/dp/B003FVFVUU/

Now that I don't have those absurdly stiff and blah yocaher trucks on it I can actually get wheel bite!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Zigmidge posted:

If you know how, go for it! Never not DIY if you can, in skateboarding.

How would you go about doing yours? I've seen some hilarious poo poo in professional board building settings when it comes to doing wheel wells.
Rad. The way I'd go is to use the nice big round end of a bench top belt sander, like this one I have in my shop already:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_91036-46069-PCB420SA___?productId=3163789&pl=1&Ntt=bench+sander

It pivots so I'd just put it at a easier angle to work with and after marking up the material that needs to be removed use a finer belt, maybe 180 grit, to duplicate the sanded out wells you see on boards like this one.

A spindle sander would also be good, but I don't have one of those.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Zigmidge posted:

Good poo poo, that's the most common way I've seen it done. I use 80-100 grit when I'm making mine because 180 takes forever but slower is better your first time.

That blows, dude. Get well soon! I know an older guy who did the same but I don't know what he did for rehab. I can tell you that he's been shredding with us the last few years so there's hope!
Had 120 and 80 on hand so I used 120 instead. Was pretty easy all in all. May still have to drop down to a slightly smaller wheel size or get a larger spacer, but this should give me some more wiggle room before I have to adjust the trucks any more.

And yeah that lawn chair is gross, that's why it only gets to prop stuff up now.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Stupid question-is skateboarding in random boots okay or will they mess with your ability to turn too much?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Thanks!

DIY continued today with a quick set of 1/2" risers made out of scrap HDPE I had lying around and a set of stainless screws/lock nuts from Lowes to better match the nice shiny Independent trucks on the cruiser. They also contrast nicely against the grip tape which is nifty. Also polished and buffed the gently caress out of the yocaher trucks and between that and not cranking down an ungodly amount on the king pins like whoever assembled the board initially did the resulting setup on the longboard are satisfactory. It'll get another set of 10" Independent trucks later, but having both boards set up and working right is nice. Now to make more time to get down to the local park and practice!

If anyone else wants to save a few bucks on hardware the thread spec you need is 8-32 for the screws and nuts that hold the trucks to the deck.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
On the other end of the spectrum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ocfbJ_6hpE

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Got a set of 56mm slightly harder wheels to swap with the 70mm longboard wheels on the old school deck, as well as whipping up some 1/8" risers out of more hdpe to swap the 1/2" ones needed to clear the 70mms. Hopefully this will be a bit easier for me to learn on. Gotta get out to a park or something so I can actually have some space.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Man bones bearings run way faster than the generics that came on the longboard. I've got rougher surfaces down ok but on smooth concrete it's zero to "oh poo poo" real fast. Had to bail last night after going down a rather shallow concrete slope.

Still having fun though.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Horizontal Tree posted:

Get comfy foot braking asap. If you can't, you're not riding safely, imo.
Will do, thanks.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Stupid question, has anyone here tried the OJ Little Doodies? I'm curious how round they really are since I'm mulling over using skate wheels and bearings to make a rolling tripod for video. It'll be way less expensive than a dedicated deal, I already know good skate bearings are smooth as gently caress, and DIY is always nice. :getin:

On actual skateboarding I need to make some time to hit the skate park before it gets too stupidly humid and hot so I can actually do some skating this year. Ordered some Toasted Tinys to try out for shits and giggles on my fat rear end board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Got a set of Toasted Tinys for shits and giggles and they are sooooo tiny god drat