Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subraji
Mar 28, 2006

He's got an 'ead like a fuckin' orange. Baldy, Mancy 'eaded twat.
Director: John Hamburg
Starring: Paul Rudd, Jason Segel

Paul Rudd stars as a recently engaged man who realises he doesn't have any friends because he devoted all of his time and energy to the various girlfriends of his life. Rudd, now accepting his friendlessness, realises that this means he won't have a best man for his wedding. With this realisation comes the plot of the movie - Paul Rudd needs to find a "man friend".

Hilarity ensues.
"I Love You, Man" had me laughing from start to finish. It had this delightful, warm "fuzzy" kind of funny to it while still being really filthy in a lot of its humour. Paul Rudd is hilariously awkward throughout the movie and nabs the comedic timing and delivery of his strange quips perfectly, only to be brought back down to earth by Jason Segel's outrageous straightforwardness and bluntness.

Oustanding supporting roles featuring a gay Andy Samberg, an rear end in a top hat Jon Favreau, a matter-of-fact J.K. Simmons, and the Hulk Himself Lou Ferrigno keep the movie bumpin' from start to finish - something only Judd Appatow seems to be able to do nowadays.

Go see this film.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuitarZero
Nov 11, 2006
K-fed? More like K-fad! .. right?
So I finally got around to watching this as I figured it would get me laughing like 'Role Models' and 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall', whose stars (Paul Rudd, Jason Segel respectively) co-star in this movie.

MAN, WAS I loving WRONG.

A quick synopsis:

Our main guy (Rudd) decides he's going to pop the question to his girlfriend, ok good start. So we find out he's gonna need a best man but he has no friends poor guy. Alright, good setup. Then hilarity ensues in his search of said best man/friend because he doesn't have any friends... oh wait, no it loving doesn't.

I can't think of one funny scene in this movie. Most if not all the attempts at humor fall flat. The interaction between Rudd and Segel (who as you probably guessed, become friends in this crap) is so loving lame jesus. I wish I could describe in better detail how bad this movie sucked, but why bother if saying it loving sucked drives that point just fine.

Look, save your cash. Go watch anything else that's not this and you'll be good to go. There's nothing funny here that you won't get 2 minutes into the movie. Rudd and Segel either got lucky with their previous hits or this movie just plain loving sucks. I'm willing to go with the latter.

This thing is 105 minutes according to imdb. I squirmed every second hoping to god it would get funnier yet it never did. Oh and imdb is broken or some poo poo as it has this movie rated as an 8.0, ridiculous.

Watch something else please (unless you've seen everything else and just want to sit quietly in the dark for 1 hour and 45 minutes).

Do Not See This Movie: 1 / 5

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
After leaving the movie, I turned to my friends and said "I wish I was friends with those guys." They both agreed. Both Segel and Rudd are incredibly likable, cool, realistically flawed characters.

In a way, kind of felt like a Superbad for 25-30 year olds. It was a little bit more of a "date movie" than the other movies with this Apatow group, but not so much that I felt uncomfortable seeing it with two guy friends.

4.5/5

ollie1350
Nov 12, 2002
BONE BUILT
I liked everything about it. Decent story line, decent characters, great humor. Exactly what I was hoping for.

4/5

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie as I didn't expect it to be up to the same caliber as Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

While not the best film under the greater Apatow umbrella, it delivers excellent character development and comedic dialogue which is par for the course with a cast featuring Paul Rudd and Jason Segel. The only over-the-top and subsequently out of place character was the main characters gay brother, but I can overlook this because I understand that it's a comic relief element that most will appreciate anyways.

Rashida Jones is very beautiful, down to earth, and pretty much is amazing in her role in this film.

Some very awkward dialogue on Paul Rudd's character might be a turn off for some but fits well in this movie.

If you liked Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Role Models, Knocked up, or Superbad, you can't go wrong with I Love You, Man!

4/5

The Shep fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 12, 2009

The Scarlet Hot Dog
Jan 18, 2005

Trust me, everything will be fine.
After walking out of Haunting in Conneticut within 5 minutes, I switched to I Love You, Man. I was pleasantly surprised..The characters were all very likable, the story was great and the humor was genuine and not reliant on stupid gags. Definitely worth a watch.

4.5/5

The Scarlet Hot Dog fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 7, 2009

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I thought this might be just another ho-hum buddy comedy, but it was surprisingly very funny. Rudd is great as a quasi-metro awkward guy trying to fit in. Segel is great as the sorta-but-not-quite grown up lovable oaf. The whole thing is a blast, from the man dates at the beginning to the budding bromance of the leading guys.

Also, the movie had a fairly poignant undertone about how much is sucks to grow up and lose your friends. Rudd finds out he grew up without cultivating any friendships and Segel finds out that even his strong friendships have a hard time surviving the rigours of adulthood. I think the movie will resonate with people from either persuasion.

All in all, another home run for Judd, Rudd, and Jason.

4.5/5

P.S. Pressley and Jones aren't bad to look at all movie 'neither

deaf jesus
Feb 19, 2004
hear no evil
My wife made me see this and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. She is a huge Paul Rudd fan (Clueless / 40 Yo Virg) and he is really coming into his own. This movie is filled with awkward moments and jokes that either you get or you don't but for the most part I was entertained.

4/5

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
This movie was a collage of stupid awkward moments. Stupid because most of these moments weren't funny in the least.

My beef is I didn't like Paul Rogan's love interest (The Office - Jim's old girlfriend). Anyone with bangs like that is deserving of a skull crushing blow to the head. She was completely underwhelming.

There were laughs. The projectile vomit scene from the trailers is still pretty funny even after seeing it 20 times.

I will quickly compare this movie vs similar movies I have seen in the last 2 years:

I love you man < Role Models (better)
I love you man < Superbad (better)
I love you man = Forgetting Sarah Marshall (about the same)
I love you man (better) > Knocked Up

It's not terrible. It's not great. If it was porridge, Goldilocks would be slurping it down like a michigan fat girl.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'll go into this saying that I liked Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Knocked Up, Superbad, etc. I thought all of those were really funny, and when I saw commercials for I Love You, Man, I was fairly sure I was going to like the movie. I was expecting something similar to Forgetting Sarah Marshal, which had a lot of good lines and scenes in it even if it wasn't as funny as some other Apatow movies.

Paul Rudd and Jason Segel are great onscreen as buddies; their friendship feels genuine and very few of their scenes feel forced. But in this movie they're not very funny. A lot of the lines there felt flat. Most of the jokes are gag jokes (contrary to what someone earlier in the thread said); and many of them weren't funny to begin with, and they get repeated a lot. For example, one of the jokes is that Rudd's character is terrible at nicknames, but they weren't very funny, just awkward (and not a funny kind of awkward either). In fact, most of the movie is based on "awkward" humor but it isn't very well-done and there were very few scenes that made me laugh.

And without any really funny jokes, there isn't much left in this movie. The first half hour or so builds up to Rudd meeting Segel, and it drags with a lot of flat jokes comparing finding a new friend to dating. From then on the movie is almost entirely predictable and you can probably guess what's going to happen halfway through the movie. But even as those events unfold (for example, Rudd's love interest (Rashida Jones) leaving him temporarily only to get back together with him, Rudd "breaking up" with Segel only to have Segal show up to his wedding at the end) feel half-assed and not very convincing.

This movie wasn't anything like Knocked Up or Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I went and saw it with a few of my friends and we were all pretty disappointed with it. But I could see this movie being a pretty good date movie. My sister described it as "cute" and that's probably the best word for it. Overall it wasn't terrible, and Segel and Rudd do work well together throughout the movie.

2/5

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
Paul Rudd defiantly did a great job at being painfully awkward. The end was a bit half assed, but overall I enjoyed.

4/5

needle exchange
Jul 3, 2004

Sweat. When it's hot, baby.

dotkong posted:

Paul Rudd defiantly did a great job at being painfully awkward. The end was a bit half assed, but overall I enjoyed.

4/5

Defiant eh. He looked like he enjoyed being there. Anyways, I enjoyed this movie. It was the sort of feel good movie that I like now and again, and it had some pretty decent gut gusting laughs. This isn't a movie that will challenge you to redefine your concept of comedy, it is very forumulaic. That being said, it's actually pretty funny too. I love you man is by no account a classic, but you can tell that they knew that when they made it. There is a very simple premise which stresses the importance of friendship, which is universally relatable. Paul Rudd and Jason Seigel provide solid performances, which as in most comedies, the movie is just a vehicle for the personalities showcased, and in this situtaion they are believable.

Comedy is on an upswing. In my opinion, this sort of comedy is exactly what is needed in order to rejuvenate a dying art form. Dialogue driven clever silliness.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I liked it, but I think I'm the target audience. Early 30's, not many guy friends to hang out with at all. If I had to pick a best man right now people would be flying in from states away. So I might be biased but it was pretty feel good for me. And no I will never go out with guys.

4/5

Snowman95
Nov 25, 2004
Laughed from beginning to end, awkward Rudds characters akward dialogue actually had me feelin bad for the guy.

Very enjoyable

4.5/5

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
Hi Blast of Confetti!

Bitter Beard fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 20, 2013

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.
This moving had me squirming in awkward agony throughout the entire thing. There was more terrible dialogue and stupid immature word altering bullshit in this movie than I've ever seen.

Disappointing, as I usually love the two main actors.

1/5

Hot Dog Hotline
Jul 24, 2004

Hello? Hello?
saw it tonight, fav character: Jon Favreau.

3/5

Kidavenger
Mar 28, 2005
This movie was a big disappointment, it just wasn't funny at all.

There is a scene in the movie where they all go play golf and the girls are playing slow, and some other golfers start getting mad cause they are stuck behind. The girls get mad and leave. That's it; nothing funny happens, it goes nowhere?!?!!? Holy crap, what a lovely scene.

If there is anything this movie does well; it's pointing out how amazing and under rated Cable Guy was. They are pretty much the same movie except Cable Guy takes the akwardness and laughs to the next level.

2/5 purely on the basis that I've seen worse movies.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just saw the movie and I was pretty dissapointed. There's simply no fun to be had in the movie.

It seems to be more of a mellow "feel good" movie with a dull premise. The acting was decent though, I guess.

2/5

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Watched this movie with my girlfriend and we both found it hilarious, because everything was basically true to guys.
I found all the jokes and situations to be plausible and well presented. The humour was basically from watching two guys hang out and laughing at how accurate it is to you and your guy friends.
A buddy of mine and I love Rush. My girlfriend had never heard of them.
We call each other nicknames, usually terrible.
etc

Neither of us found it to drag. I wouldn't call the humour awkward - I would call The Office awkward humour, and this was nothing like that. Actually, there was one instance of awkwardness during a toast, but it's not like it spiralled into an out of control situation - everything was cleared up 30 seconds later, lending a sense of relief that they didn't go that Ben Stiller-ish route.

I could see somebody not liking this movie simply because they don't connect with it.
My girlfriend found it hilarious because she found the guys in this movie to basically be identical to me and my friends, so she appreciated the humour on screen as well.

5/5 - docked half a point for a couple of Jason Segel's actions (to do with dog crap), added half a point for Rush and Jon Favreau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snakeskin
Aug 19, 2007

by Peatpot
This movie is like the one a girl will drag her boyfriend along to so they can see a movie 'they will both enjoy' and while she laughs at the jokes thinking 'oh my god, guys so do that' the guy will sit there with a fixed grin and still tell his girlfriend he enjoyed it and she does have good taste in movies so he can have sex with her that night. Its basically a female attempt at male humour.

Its really bad and full of half assed ad lib jokes that arent even funny but hey lets keep them in the movie cos its so random lol.

1/5