Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Any suggestions? I can do all of the above with the help of extensions, but I get the impression that Thunderbird is a little frowned upon by goons, though I could be wrong about that. What is out there that's better? Using the Gmail.com web client is not an option.

Have you seen Postbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

gmq posted:

Have you seen Postbox?

Installed the trial and checked out the addons. It pretty much seems identical to Thunderbird, except it has a $20 price tag.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I recently started using em Client and really like it. Its free for home users but has a limit of 2 email accounts. It has native support for google calendar, tasks, contacts though.

I'm debating on whether or not to get a paid, $50 license. Right now I only have my high priority email accounts set up while I test it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Roving Reporter posted:

I recently started using em Client and really like it. Its free for home users but has a limit of 2 email accounts. It has native support for google calendar, tasks, contacts though.

I'm debating on whether or not to get a paid, $50 license. Right now I only have my high priority email accounts set up while I test it.

This client owns. Thanks for this!

Is there any way to get it to display emails as threads?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm gonna make the comedy option of "web browser"

In the last few months I ditched Thunderbird and just went 100% with the website and I'm quite happy. If you're using chrome you get desktop notifications, so really it's perfect.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm gonna make the comedy option of "web browser"

In the last few months I ditched Thunderbird and just went 100% with the website and I'm quite happy. If you're using chrome you get desktop notifications, so really it's perfect.

It's not an option. Gmail isn't my only email account that I use regularly and I want to keep the inboxes separate so forwarding isn't a solution either. I also prefer a desktop client over web mail any day because keeping things organized is easier.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mak0rz posted:

It's not an option. Gmail isn't my only email account that I use regularly and I want to keep the inboxes separate so forwarding isn't a solution either. I also prefer a desktop client over web mail any day because keeping things organized is easier.

I really don't care what you use for email, but just so you're working from complete information: you can keep inboxes separate and organize things really easily with Gmail.

Not trying to convince you to use it, just making sure you didn't write it off prematurely.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

I really don't care what you use for email, but just so you're working from complete information: you can keep inboxes separate and organize things really easily with Gmail.

Not trying to convince you to use it, just making sure you didn't write it off prematurely.

I personally like having a desktop client so I can close my web browser when I'm not using it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thermopyle posted:

Really? Am I able to send emails as <other account>? I don't want my students knowing my gmail address.

hooah posted:

I personally like having a desktop client so I can close my web browser when I'm not using it.

This is important as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mak0rz posted:

Really? Am I able to send emails as <other account>?

Yes.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anybody know of a music player that removes songs from the playlist after they have been played?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

bowmore posted:

Does anybody know of a music player that removes songs from the playlist after they have been played?

iTunes can sort of do this with smart playlists. Just have one of the criteria be that the song hasn't been played in the last x number of hours.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I am having an issue with my alienware laptop.

Sometimes, I'll put the laptop to sleep when I put the laptop to sleep, it will enter the state just fine. Then, when I resume I'll get the "Windows did not properly shut down" screen (and of course lose the state due to the clean boot forced...). Other times, the laptop will wake up from sleep just fine. There are no relevant errors in any of the logs other than "Your PC had an unexpected shutdown at time X". I look at the logs around time X and see nothing weird...

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

shodanjr_gr posted:

I am having an issue with my alienware laptop.

Sometimes, I'll put the laptop to sleep when I put the laptop to sleep, it will enter the state just fine. Then, when I resume I'll get the "Windows did not properly shut down" screen (and of course lose the state due to the clean boot forced...). Other times, the laptop will wake up from sleep just fine. There are no relevant errors in any of the logs other than "Your PC had an unexpected shutdown at time X". I look at the logs around time X and see nothing weird...
Are you putting it to sleep by closing the lid exclusively? I'm thinking of a scenario where a driver or a program prevents it from actually going to sleep occasionally and the laptop overheats with the lid closed (and possibly put away in a bag). You could easily test by putting the laptop to sleep through the start menu for a while and checking whether fans and lights actually turn off in a reasonable time.

I learned about powercfg -energy recently, it's certainly worth checking its report for clues too.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a way to generate a domain user profile on XP machines without the user logging in? I know profile creation adds registry keys but I know nothing beyond that. Any tools to do this?

I know about USMT but it does more than we need as well as occasionally loving up permissions.

Basically, I just want to take a user and add their folder to the Documents And Settings without them logging in and have the profile be registered with the OS.

Simply creating their folder just means a duplicate one in the format userid.domain gets created when they do finally login.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably not. Easiest way is for the folder to copy down via login script.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Are you putting it to sleep by closing the lid exclusively? I'm thinking of a scenario where a driver or a program prevents it from actually going to sleep occasionally and the laptop overheats with the lid closed (and possibly put away in a bag). You could easily test by putting the laptop to sleep through the start menu for a while and checking whether fans and lights actually turn off in a reasonable time.

I learned about powercfg -energy recently, it's certainly worth checking its report for clues too.

The last time this happened, I made sure that, when I shut the lid beforehand, the machine went to sleep (its an Alienware so its pretty easy to know when its not working with all the fans and lights and whatnot :haw:).

I tried powercfg -energy and there is 3 devices not entering suspend, "Generic USB Hub", USB Input Device and "USB Root Hub". I also get that "PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled".

Any clues?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

shodanjr_gr posted:

The last time this happened, I made sure that, when I shut the lid beforehand, the machine went to sleep (its an Alienware so its pretty easy to know when its not working with all the fans and lights and whatnot :haw:).

I tried powercfg -energy and there is 3 devices not entering suspend, "Generic USB Hub", USB Input Device and "USB Root Hub". I also get that "PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled".

Any clues?
Not really, sorry. If it's not a problem of sometimes not going to sleep at all, you might have to look elsewhere. Not everything in the report is as dramatic or problematic as they make it sound.

Sleep mode keeps the ram powered, a slightly wonky battery contact could cause the symptoms you mentioned. You could try to see if you can somehow reliably trigger it by jiggling the battery a bit? That is, if the problem never occurs with hibernation.

I'd suggest also looking at drivers, updating them or rolling back if you recently updated. That's just generic advice though.

I'm not sure what else you could try.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Mak0rz posted:

Really? Am I able to send emails as <other account>? I don't want my students knowing my gmail address.

This is important as well.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes.

If you do this, every student who uses Outlook will know your Gmail address. All your emails will have "personal@gmail.com on behalf of Your Name <yourname@work.edu>" in big letters at the top of every email.

Sadly, I don't have a good recommendation for you about your other requests.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

kapinga posted:

If you do this, every student who uses Outlook will know your Gmail address. All your emails will have "personal@gmail.com on behalf of Your Name <yourname@work.edu>" in big letters at the top of every email.

Not if you have it send through the other address's SMTP servers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

kapinga posted:

Sadly, I don't have a good recommendation for you about your other requests.

As noted:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Thermopyle posted:

As noted:

Tragically this will only work for addresses that aren't Gmail. So if you have two Gmail addresses and you want them to be separate, you can't.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure what Windows thread to post this in, but here we go.

I'm working from home today, just remoting in to a Windows 2003 Server and transfering gigs of files to our Sharepoint site. Unfortunately, it uses WebDAV which transfers files slow as poo poo. And if I AFK, Windows automatically logs me off after however long due to inactivity. I tried Google to see how to disable it, but all I can find is how to disable shut down event logs :v:

I don't want to have to stay here and baby sit the file transfer.

I'm sure you've worked something out by now, but if WorkingStiff's solution won't work for you (can't run stuff downloaded from the internet for whatever reason or whatever), you can achieve basically the same thing by resting an optical mouse on a watch with a second hand. Every time the second hand passes through the beam it nudges the cursor a bit, keeping you logged in.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Why not just connect your two Gmail accounts so you can have them both open at once in separate tabs? Or just open them in separate browsers if you don't want to do that - if you use Incognito mode you can have two instances of the same browser. It's not all your mail in absolutely one place but it sounds like you keep them separate as it is

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You can now be signed into multiple Gmail accounts at once.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

shodanjr_gr posted:

Any clues?

I seem to recall that there are BIOS settings on my desktop that will change whether or not my USB devices are awake when the system is powered off. Before I changed it, my mouse would still be glowing red when I switched my computer off.
I've no idea, but maybe there's something related to that in your case? When your laptop goes to sleep maybe the system is keeping them awake so it can "wake up on mouse" or something?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

I seem to recall that there are BIOS settings on my desktop that will change whether or not my USB devices are awake when the system is powered off. Before I changed it, my mouse would still be glowing red when I switched my computer off.
I've no idea, but maybe there's something related to that in your case? When your laptop goes to sleep maybe the system is keeping them awake so it can "wake up on mouse" or something?

Definitely possible. I have a wireless usb mouse, and before I changed that bios setting the slightest bump of the mouse would bring my computer out of sleep.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I need a defrag program that is (a) able to defragment specific folders; (b) not as ridiculously slow as Defraggler.

Ideas?

e: never mind, found it already (thanks NeoWin!). AusLogics Disk Defrag, for those who care. Took 3 minutes 24 seconds while Defraggler would have taken two hours at the rate it was going.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 22, 2012

Strat
Nov 6, 2004
Another alternative worth mentioning is Contig

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897428

It's a command line defragger from Microsoft that will defrag individual files (or directories)

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Can anyone a free installer package? I was given something to give to our salespeople but the default installer starts the application in chinese. As you can imagine this will not sit well with salespeople, so I need to repackage it for "no budget" as usual and be presentable for customers who happen to view this poo poo application.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

Tragically this will only work for addresses that aren't Gmail. So if you have two Gmail addresses and you want them to be separate, you can't.

Wait what, that's not true at all. You just plug in smtp.gmail.com as the smtp server. It's great because the sent mail will also show up on the other account's sent box.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

rawrr posted:

Wait what, that's not true at all. You just plug in smtp.gmail.com as the smtp server. It's great because the sent mail will also show up on the other account's sent box.

Last time I tried this, my other addess was disclosed in the headers of the sent message. Has this changed?

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

ghostinmyshell posted:

Can anyone a free installer package? I was given something to give to our salespeople but the default installer starts the application in chinese. As you can imagine this will not sit well with salespeople, so I need to repackage it for "no budget" as usual and be presentable for customers who happen to view this poo poo application.

I use Nullsoft's NSIS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullsoft_Scriptable_Install_System

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Can anyone recommend a good multiple desktop/virtual desktop program for Win 7? I was using sysinternals desktops in XP but its kind of flunky in 7 and hasn't been updated.

Multiple desktops are awesome why dont you build it in microsoft :(

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Can anyone recommend something that'll put .mp4s onto a DVD for playing on a DVD player? My cousin needs some youtube clips for a presentation that she's doing tomorrow. I've tried DVDfab but it keeps crashing while the files are converting.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sylink posted:

Can anyone recommend a good multiple desktop/virtual desktop program for Win 7? I was using sysinternals desktops in XP but its kind of flunky in 7 and hasn't been updated.

Multiple desktops are awesome why dont you build it in microsoft :(

VirtualWin.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Chas McGill posted:

Can anyone recommend something that'll put .mp4s onto a DVD for playing on a DVD player? My cousin needs some youtube clips for a presentation that she's doing tomorrow. I've tried DVDfab but it keeps crashing while the files are converting.

DVD Flick should do it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Toast Museum posted:

DVD Flick should do it.

Thanks. I love this kind of program - free, no frills, does the job. Most importantly it doesn't scream dodgy like so many other apps I checked out.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Chas McGill posted:

I don't know if Windows DVD Maker can do it, but it's worth a try since it should be on your system if you have Windows 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

HalloKitty posted:

I don't know if Windows DVD Maker can do it, but it's worth a try since it should be on your system if you have Windows 7.

DVD maker doesn't support .flvs or .mp4s, it seems. DVDflick worked, though.