Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
So im trying to fix up my old laptop, and i have just re-installed windows 7 on it.

However when i try to run windows update it says 'Checking for updates...' and nothing else happens. I've left it like that for a couple of hours, but still nothing.

I've tried a bunch of things like the automatic windows update fixing tool, the update readiness tool, manually cleaning out the cache and restarted the update, update through a different DNS, but nothing seems to work.
I even tried re-installing windows 7 again but im getting the same result.

I've tried manually downloading updates and running them but it still gets stuck on "searching for installed updates".

My hands hurt from all the googling of this problem, and i was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this or even a possible solution?

Would love to get win 7 installed and properly updated so i can install win 10, otherwise this loving thing is headed to the dumpster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bloody Wanker posted:

So im trying to fix up my old laptop, and i have just re-installed windows 7 on it.

However when i try to run windows update it says 'Checking for updates...' and nothing else happens. I've left it like that for a couple of hours, but still nothing.

I've tried a bunch of things like the automatic windows update fixing tool, the update readiness tool, manually cleaning out the cache and restarted the update, update through a different DNS, but nothing seems to work.
I even tried re-installing windows 7 again but im getting the same result.

I've tried manually downloading updates and running them but it still gets stuck on "searching for installed updates".

My hands hurt from all the googling of this problem, and i was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this or even a possible solution?

Would love to get win 7 installed and properly updated so i can install win 10, otherwise this loving thing is headed to the dumpster.

You can try this.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008

You just saved my lapstops life!

Installing the updates necessary for the win 10 upgrade from a vanilla win 7 install takes literally days, and doing it without any kind of progress feedback is just horrible.

This worked like a charm, and showed the download progress from all the updates even though the install still takes ages.

Thanks a bunch!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

hooah posted:

Picasa?

This almost works perfectly except that it doesn't seem to catch all the images in a folder properly. I have 300 pictures in a folder but Picasa says it only detects 90 in it, and the remaining 210 seem to be missing at random.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh, that's weird. I guess I wouldn't notice that since none of my folders have that many images.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

pandaK posted:

This almost works perfectly except that it doesn't seem to catch all the images in a folder properly. I have 300 pictures in a folder but Picasa says it only detects 90 in it, and the remaining 210 seem to be missing at random.

What file type? I haven't used Picasa in a long time, but it has options on what types of image files are shown - GIFs for example were not by default, IIRC. 300 should certainly not be too many - I've definitely had folders with much more than that back when I used it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

GokieKS posted:

What file type? I haven't used Picasa in a long time, but it has options on what types of image files are shown - GIFs for example were not by default, IIRC. 300 should certainly not be too many - I've definitely had folders with much more than that back when I used it.

Oh wait huh, guess I was farting out my rear end when I said it was random. The issue is that Picasa doesn't seem to show .png images in folders. How do I hook that up properly?

ah, tools > options > filetypes, got it.

Though one last little issue I have with Picasa is that scrolling scrolls through your images (quite often skipping a few on occasion, what's up with that) whereas clicking zooms in or whatever. Is there a way to rebind buttons like that?

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 5, 2015

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
My co-worker's home laptop was running like poo poo and he wanted to format, but didn't have a win 7 disk since it came pre-installed.
I tried to run a system restore through the startup (pressing f3. MSI laptop) . It didn't work and now it displays and error "No bootmgt" on startup. I tried burning a recovery disk from another win 7 machine at work, but that was 64 bit and his home machine is 32 bit. I don't have access to a win 7 install CD and if a recovery CD came with the machine he threw it out. Is there any way I can get a win 7 32 bit recovery disk through the internet without a CD key?

I have a DVD burner and an empty USB drive available.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 10, 2015

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

My co-worker's home laptop was running like poo poo and he wanted to format, but didn't have a win 7 disk since it came pre-installed.
I tried to run a system restore through the startup (pressing f3. MSI laptop) . It didn't work and now it displays and error "No bootmgt" on startup. I tried burning a recovery disk from another win 7 machine at work, but that was 64 bit and his home machine is 32 bit. I don't have access to a win 7 install CD and if a recovery CD came with the machine he threw it out. Is there any way I can get a win 7 32 bit recovery disk through the internet without a CD key?

I have a DVD burner and an empty USB drive available.

Just install 64 bit the keys are the same.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

c0burn posted:

Just install 64 bit the keys are the same.

But the key is the problem no? Is it somewhere inside the laptop or what?

It also said his CPU was incompatible with 64bit when I tried the 64bit recovery disk.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

But the key is the problem no? Is it somewhere inside the laptop or what?

It also said his CPU was incompatible with 64bit when I tried the 64bit recovery disk.

The key isn't on the bottom of the laptp? If it was purchased pre-assembled it should be.

And it should be compatible with 64 bit, that's the preferred OS anyway.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Medullah posted:

The key isn't on the bottom of the laptp?
Sometimes below the battery.

And apart from early atoms (I think) you've got to go way way back for a cpu to not be 64 bit compatible.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Sometimes below the battery.

And apart from early atoms (I think) you've got to go way way back for a cpu to not be 64 bit compatible.

On further inspection of the laptop is does indeed have an atom CPU and it had vista home premium installed instead of 7 as he told me. I did find the key however. How do I go about getting a vista home premium 32bit or recovery disk .ISO? Or is that too :filez: even though he has a key?

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 10, 2015

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Microsoft had various Vista ISOs legitimately available on DigitalRiver.. up to about February of this year. But since web.archive.org hoovers up all sorts of things, try here: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-burn-downloaded-windows-vista-to-dvd/

Since you state you have a key, I don't think the above qualifies as :filez: & it points to a mirror of what MSFT legitimately allowed people to download.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have any info regarding this Windows 10 telemetry reporting crap? Is it something to worry about or is it overblown?

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

Is it something to worry about or is it overblown?

It's both.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Noam Chomsky posted:

Anyone have any info regarding this Windows 10 telemetry reporting crap? Is it something to worry about or is it overblown?

It exists, certainly, and some of it has been backported to 7 and 8 in the form of Windows Updates.

I personally think it all seems very unnecessary, and surely it opens up potential vulnerabilities.

Is it overblown? That part is for you to decide, basically. Do a little homework and you can probably find out what each different piece of telemetry reports.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

MREBoy posted:

Microsoft had various Vista ISOs legitimately available on DigitalRiver.. up to about February of this year. But since web.archive.org hoovers up all sorts of things, try here: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-burn-downloaded-windows-vista-to-dvd/

Since you state you have a key, I don't think the above qualifies as :filez: & it points to a mirror of what MSFT legitimately allowed people to download.

Encountered another problem.

Following the link I made a USB drive with the installation. I plug it into the laptop and enter the boot menu and chose the flash drive->The windows install begins and I get past the chose language options and the product key screen but when I get to the point where I have to chose a drive to install windows on none shows.

If I enter the BOIS I'm able to see the HDD there. If I try to set the boot order in the BIOS I have three things to mess with, the HDD, something called the MSI USB controller and the flash drive. I can only set 2 orders at a time and if I set the flash drive as 1 only the USB controller is available as 2. If I set the HDD as 1 the flash drive isn't available as 2.

What is going on? :psyduck:

Would making a CD instead of a USB make a difference? Be aware that the laptop doesn't have a DVD drive and I have to use an external which plugs in through USB also.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 11, 2015

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Encountered another problem.

Since it's booting from the USB drive you made and actually doing some stuff indicates you probably made it correctly. That the HD is not showing up could be various other problems. The disk image you used may not have required non-generic drivers for whatever controller the HD is hooked up to. I never used Vista so I don't know if the drive might have been formatted GUID, and the installer might not know how to deal with that (long shot). Is there any sort of option in the installer for formatting a drive ? If you can wipe out the drive first somehow, that probably would not be a bad idea.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I've been wondering for a while, is it possible to have two different links to the same device (e.g. ethernet via homeplug and wifi) and have windows gracefully switch over if one of the two misbehaves?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does a good email client for Windows exist? The Windows 10 mail app doesn't let you have a global inbox or filters and I've heard it has a problem fetching mail. Thunderbird (which I've used for years) has recently started not fetching mail, sometimes becomes unresponsive, and won't remember the widths of the columns if you change them. I tried the Live mail program a while back and remember not liking it but I'm not sure why now. I tried eM Client a while back and have nonspecific memories of dissatisfaction with it as well. I haven't really used Outlook myself. At this point, I'm willing to pay for something that satisfies these criteria:

1) Runs reliably. This includes not locking up or hanging and reliably fetching mail.
2) Supports filters.
3) Has a global inbox.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

hooah posted:

Does a good email client for Windows exist? The Windows 10 mail app doesn't let you have a global inbox or filters and I've heard it has a problem fetching mail. Thunderbird (which I've used for years) has recently started not fetching mail, sometimes becomes unresponsive, and won't remember the widths of the columns if you change them. I tried the Live mail program a while back and remember not liking it but I'm not sure why now. I tried eM Client a while back and have nonspecific memories of dissatisfaction with it as well. I haven't really used Outlook myself. At this point, I'm willing to pay for something that satisfies these criteria:

1) Runs reliably. This includes not locking up or hanging and reliably fetching mail.
2) Supports filters.
3) Has a global inbox.

It should be free so it wouldn't hurt to try out Inky Mail, it seems to fit those criteria... but you would know better than I.

http://inky.com/

I recall trying it when it first came out and it was reliable, I just use gmail so an actual client didn't seem necessary.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

hooah posted:

Does a good email client for Windows exist? The Windows 10 mail app doesn't let you have a global inbox or filters and I've heard it has a problem fetching mail. Thunderbird (which I've used for years) has recently started not fetching mail, sometimes becomes unresponsive, and won't remember the widths of the columns if you change them.

Have you tried resetting your TB profile?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Saukkis posted:

Have you tried resetting your TB profile?

How do I do that? I tried a little Googling, but everything seemed pretty old.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

MREBoy posted:

Since it's booting from the USB drive you made and actually doing some stuff indicates you probably made it correctly. That the HD is not showing up could be various other problems. The disk image you used may not have required non-generic drivers for whatever controller the HD is hooked up to. I never used Vista so I don't know if the drive might have been formatted GUID, and the installer might not know how to deal with that (long shot). Is there any sort of option in the installer for formatting a drive ? If you can wipe out the drive first somehow, that probably would not be a bad idea.

First of all, no clue what you are talking about there :)

Also do I format a drive that I cannot see?
I can't even boot to safemode + promt.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does Spotify still use P2P streaming from your local cache? That was the main reason I stopped using it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

First of all, no clue what you are talking about there :)

Also do I format a drive that I cannot see?
I can't even boot to safemode + promt.

By GUID, they mean GPT. With larger disks (>2TB or something), Windows will ask if you want to format them as either GPT or MBR, with GPT being the better/newer option.
But I would be surprised if that matters, as the Windows installation should see the physical drive, and if it can't handle GPT I would have thought it would think it was blank and just reformat it.

If you think that the disk format is in some way confusing Windows, you could run a bootable copy of DBAN and let it wipe the first 100MB or so of the hard drive and try again. (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-dban-to-a-usb-flash-drive-using-windows/ - I've not tried this at all, but it's the first Google result and sounds reasonable.) I suggest stopping it after the first 100MB or so just to save you some time. No point in wiping the whole thing.
At that point the disk will look completely blank to the OS. I've certainly seen weird disk overlays confuse Windows formatting before, but that really shouldn't be what's going on here.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I'm trying to delete $Windows.~BT because they're eating up 6gb on my boot drive which is already low on space. I've tried a couple different methods and none have worked.

I get this error:

When right click -> delete. There's only one account on this computer and it's mine which is an Admin.

If I go into properties and try changing the permissions I get this error:

I've tried UAC on, UAC off, neither helps. I also found a site that said to run this in command prompt and it'll take ownership back properly and wipe the folder, but that doesn't work either.

code:
takeown /F C:\$Windows.~BT\* /R /A
icacls C:\$Windows.~BT\*.* /T /grant administrators:F
rmdir /S /Q C:\$Windows.~BT\

Any suggestions?

baram. fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 15, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

baram. posted:

I'm trying to delete $Windows.~BT because they're eating up 6gb on my boot drive which is already low on space. I've tried a couple different methods and none have worked.

I get this error:

When right click -> delete. There's only one account on this computer and it's mine which is an Admin.

If I go into properties and try changing the permissions I get this error:

I've tried UAC on, UAC off, neither helps. I also found a site that said to run this in command prompt and it'll take ownership back properly and wipe the folder, but that doesn't work either.

code:
takeown /F C:\$Windows.~BT\* /R /A 
icacls C:\$Windows.~BT\*.* /T /grant administrators:F 
rmdir /S /Q C:\$Windows.~BT\

Any suggestions?

Boot to command prompt and try? Are you SURE that's not a system folder?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Medullah posted:

It's not a system folder. I just solved it by running Disk Cleanup and telling it to delete Windows Install Files or something like that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Medullah posted:

It's where MS puts the Windows 10 install files. On the sly, even. Source: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/09/10/windows-10-may-already-be-on-your-pc-even-if-you-dont-want-it/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

It's where MS puts the Windows 10 install files. On the sly, even. Source: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/09/10/windows-10-may-already-be-on-your-pc-even-if-you-dont-want-it/

Ah. Haven't made the 10 plunge yet since they dumped Media Center and I use it for my HD HomeRun. :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any way to have windows 10 never notify of updates via gpedit? Only seems to show "notify".

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 16, 2015

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Any idea why my laptop has 100% disk usage since upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8 (64-bit)? It starts on boot and rarely stops. Often it's a random process or no process at using the disk under Task Manager (at the moment Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is using 2MB/s then Defender starts using 18MB/s briefly then goes away).

Any ideas? It doesn't stop if I disable the real time protection. I've disabled the superfetch and windows search services and manually set the page file size.

Maybe I need to take this to HoTS..

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bigis posted:

Any idea why my laptop has 100% disk usage since upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8 (64-bit)? It starts on boot and rarely stops. Often it's a random process or no process at using the disk under Task Manager (at the moment Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is using 2MB/s then Defender starts using 18MB/s briefly then goes away).

Any ideas? It doesn't stop if I disable the real time protection. I've disabled the superfetch and windows search services and manually set the page file size.

Maybe I need to take this to HoTS..

You should probably not manually set the page file size or disable superfetch, unless you have a small SSD as your main system drive.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
why does vlc not resume where left off on windows 10 anymore does any else have this problem

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

hooah posted:

How do I do that? I tried a little Googling, but everything seemed pretty old.

Easiest way is to open Windows Explorer and browse to the %appdata% folder, just type that to the address bar. When you're in the folder rename Thunderbird folder to Thunderbird.broken and when you start Thunderbird next time it behaves like you haven't started it before and will ask you to create email account.

This way you can test if the problem is with the profile and if it doesn't fix the problem you can rename Thunderbird.broken back to Thunderbird and recover your old profile.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My old copy of Windows 7 which I bought from newegg at least 6 years ago, probably more, has given up the ghost. It will still install just fine but will no longer pass activation.

So now I'm getting that black desktop/constant pop-ups that go along with unactivated windows 7.

Is it going to be possible for me to get a free upgrade to windows 10 or am I stuck shelling out the hundred bux or w/e for a real copy?

I imagine I'm screwed but :shrug:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Agent355 posted:

My old copy of Windows 7 which I bought from newegg at least 6 years ago, probably more, has given up the ghost. It will still install just fine but will no longer pass activation.

So now I'm getting that black desktop/constant pop-ups that go along with unactivated windows 7.

Is it going to be possible for me to get a free upgrade to windows 10 or am I stuck shelling out the hundred bux or w/e for a real copy?

I imagine I'm screwed but :shrug:

You do need activated 7 (or 8.1) to free-upgrade, but have you tried phone activation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

You should probably not manually set the page file size or disable superfetch, unless you have a small SSD as your main system drive.

Alright. Disabling that stuff made it seem less bad but it's hard to say if it actually did anything. It probably didn't.