Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Silly question, but is Windows 10 garbage like Windows 8 was? I'm almost tempted to buy Windows 7 for my new computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

GruntyThrst posted:

Silly question, but is Windows 10 garbage like Windows 8 was? I'm almost tempted to buy Windows 7 for my new computer.

worst case scenario you get a free copy of win10 with a valid 7 key anyway. win-win situation for when Windows 10 starts to be less of a piece of poo poo a year or so after release, as with every microsoft OS.

hopefully that answers your question

EDIT: imagine a more cohesive Windows 8 with UI choices that don't result in a huge clusterfuck of clashing design theories. it's basically p. good at its core but MS is gonna add a shitload more stuff over time, starting with the impending Redstone update

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GruntyThrst posted:

There's a lot of reviews on the Internet that are a lot more in-depth than whatever people are gonna effortpost here but generally it's pretty decent and avoids really stupid UI decisions

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the best way i could describe the difference from 8 to 10 is like how Vista >> 7 was. basically the previous operating system at its center but fixing everything that was broken or annoying and overall better in every way

I saw this somewhere else but if you're thinking about installing 10 (or 8 for that matter), it's worth checking Missed Features Installer out for a disc that allows you to install lots of Windows stuff like Visual C++, DirectX, and other programs you don't get in the stock OS but should. it also reduces a lot of the bullshit updates windows downloads when you check for updates the first time which is pretty cool beans.

it looks like this (because i just realized the dumb website has no info about it other than a download link)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That doesn't seem too bad but I really want Sizer to work.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Turdsdown Tom posted:

the best way i could describe the difference from 8 to 10 is like how Vista >> 7 was. basically the previous operating system at its center but fixing everything that was broken or annoying and overall better in every way

I saw this somewhere else but if you're thinking about installing 10 (or 8 for that matter), it's worth checking Missed Features Installer out for a disc that allows you to install lots of Windows stuff like Visual C++, DirectX, and other programs you don't get in the stock OS but should. it also reduces a lot of the bullshit updates windows downloads when you check for updates the first time which is pretty cool beans.

it looks like this (because i just realized the dumb website has no info about it other than a download link)

Uh.

Yikes.

Software that needs DirectX or Visual C++ will almost always install it for you, disabling telemetry is probably best done with something that exposes and uses the actual Enterprise hooks like O&O ShutUp10 instead of a one-button thing where you don't know what the hell it's doing, and where are you finding Aero Glass stuff that isn't paid and if that toolkit is the only place how is it not piracy?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Aero Glass is free, dummy. You only need to "donate" if you are somehow unable to download the debugging symbols which you can just download straight from Microsoft anyway.

This program literally opens a command prompt window and shows you what it's installing. It's just a compilation of software you could spend two hours downloading yourself if you felt like wasting time on the Internet

EDIT: You wanna hear something really scary though? That Start Menu link? *gasp* it's just Classic Shell.

barnold fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 4, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I figured this is the best place to ask, but has @outlook.com replaced @live.com as the preferred account domain for Microsoft services (Windows, Office, web e-mail, Xbox, Skype, etc.)?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

You can use any of them for a Microsoft account. You can use all of them with the same Microsoft account if someone hasn't taken your address name on the other domains. You can even still make a new hotmail.com address.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Aero Glass is free, dummy. You only need to "donate" if you are somehow unable to download the debugging symbols which you can just download straight from Microsoft anyway.

This program literally opens a command prompt window and shows you what it's installing. It's just a compilation of software you could spend two hours downloading yourself if you felt like wasting time on the Internet

EDIT: You wanna hear something really scary though? That Start Menu link? *gasp* it's just Classic Shell.

:chillout:

Also, it shows you MSIs, not where the MSIs put all their crap or whether they'll clean up after themselves. (Oh yeah, whoever made this disc, nice touch with the romsite-style 'don't use this unless you have the real thing' wink-nudge.)

And it offers options to create super-Admins, and scourge even the useful Metro apps from the drive, and install codec packs, and mangle the update system, and cover up for preview warnings, and take care of configuration options that already exist in PC Settings and the Start Menu instead of the user going through those panels and :ohdear: familiarizing themselves with the OS :ohdear:, and generally do a bunch of stuff that lets you act like it's still Windows XP with only the most desirable parts of 7 (and in a way that requires disabling UAC, extra yikes) and discourage you from learning anything new in an age where acting like it's still Windows XP and not learning anything new will turn your computer into a bitcoin miner and social engineering attack* staging area right under your nose. If you're lucky. That alone is enough to say the disc is a bad idea.

You want to quash the phone-home? Go do it.
You want a Windows 7 start menu? Go get it.
You want Aero Glass? Go get it.
You want libraries? Go get 'em. Or better yet, don't. The developer didn't do their due diligence; actually think about whether you actually want or need their software.
Just go see what you're getting first.

*Speaking of which, I know it isn't one, but look at it. Those graphics. That aesthetic. Yeesh.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 4, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You can use any of them for a Microsoft account. You can use all of them with the same Microsoft account if someone hasn't taken your address name on the other domains. You can even still make a new hotmail.com address.
Right, but making a new Hotmail email address in 2016 seems silly. Even though @live is more concise, my sense is @outlook is what people are moving toward, even though I have no evidence.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Josh Lyman posted:

Right, but making a new Hotmail email address in 2016 seems silly. Even though @live is more concise, my sense is @outlook is what people are moving toward, even though I have no evidence.

You can add an @outlook.com alias to an existing Microsoft account no matter the domain (maybe not if you signed up under Gmail or Yahoo mail or something but it's still worth a shot); it'll even work for receiving mail. You don't need to make a new account for it, and they've got far too many users on the old domain names to deprecate them.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Josh Lyman posted:

@outlook is what people are moving toward

I both like and hate this because now dumb people are even less able to differentiate between outlook (software) and their email address when asking for help.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MachinTrucChose posted:

I know about Windows Firewall's advanced features but the interface is terrible, it's not designed for end-users, it's almost command-line-like in its design (that is, everything is declarative, the fact that we're using a GUI are not taken advantage of to infer some things). I shouldn't have to mention how important convenience is when using a computer. It also lacks the features that I want, which is for child processes to inherit the block permissions of their parent.

I can't imagine someone this annoyed by a fairly clean lay-out will survive the utterly overbearing popups a software firewall will produce.
Your options are basically:

Zonealarm - horrible performance hits and breaks poo poo all the time. Does what you want though.
Comodo - riddled with critical design flaws and ergo security issues
Privatefirewall - breaks a lot of stuff (doesn't work with virtualbox, some versions of OpenVPN, anything with taps basically) but does what you want

All of the above will generate 10-20 popups per new application you run, if you have it set to catch what you're looking for. You'll need to find a way to stop any reliance on built-in whitelists for this level of control too, as much of what you want to block will be known-good in their eyes. This will then make it interfere with Windows calling services and dlls.

Have you considered the alternative - not installing bad programs?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ugato posted:

I both like and hate this because now dumb people are even less able to differentiate between outlook (software) and their email address when asking for help.
Ask me about providing IT support for Skype, Skype for Business, OneDrive, OneDrive for Business and OneNote and OneNote 2013 :suicide:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I think back in the day I would just do a file search for *.* in the main directory and delete anything that wasn't either an .mp3 or a folder.jpg, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that in Win10's new search interface.
That UI is literally identical to previous versions of Windows.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maybe it's just because I upgraded from Windows 7, but my Libraries are right here and fully functional.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Not really about Windows, but my Tweetdeck Activity feed no longer updates automatically. Anyone experience the same thing? I tried tweeting at Tweetdeck, but no response. Started a couple days ago.

e: couldn't find a "social media software" thread.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Maybe it's just because I upgraded from Windows 7, but my Libraries are right here and fully functional.

I really, really hate how these aren't Library links:

No way of removing them, or even at least hiding them, either.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I was talking about code libraries, actually. On your note, I'm not sure there's a point in system-wide documents on a home system these days.

fishmech posted:

Yeah, all but the weirdest or most no-seriously-this-very-device-with-this-very-environment-dependent stuff will survive a version upgrade. And if it doesn't that's another good sign it's time to take a few minutes to examine what your purpose is for having it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

spincube posted:

I really, really hate how these aren't Library links:

No way of removing them, or even at least hiding them, either.

I feel you, but on the other hand you can scroll down 2 more inches to where the libraries are. You can also pin Libraries to Quick Start (either individual libraries themselves or the "Libraries" virtual folder itself) so they're at the top. The decisions to back away from libraries is inexplicable. It's a good feature which is suppressed by bad UI design.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I really hate how they're separate from OneDrive.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

Not really about Windows, but my Tweetdeck Activity feed no longer updates automatically. Anyone experience the same thing? I tried tweeting at Tweetdeck, but no response. Started a couple days ago.

Wasn't Tweetdeck bought out by Twitter some time ago, with all the clients being abandoned in favor of first-party? Maybe I have that conflated with something else, but either way, the official Twitter client in the MS Store is at least functional and not totally horrible in any way that's jumped out at me.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I don't get the point of libraries, ostensibly they're to group folders together without that being the directory structure but they're all for filetypes that you would already naturally group together under one directory. Do people really have media scattered in enough locations on their drives that a library helps? Is it for people with multiple drives? I'm probably missing something obvious, they're just a nuisance to me.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Manky posted:

Wasn't Tweetdeck bought out by Twitter some time ago, with all the clients being abandoned in favor of first-party? Maybe I have that conflated with something else, but either way, the official Twitter client in the MS Store is at least functional and not totally horrible in any way that's jumped out at me.

Tweetdeck is cool because it lets you have multiple columns displaying tweets, based on varying criteria, plus the activity feed. The activity feed shows likes by people you follow, among other things, so it creates interesting noise. Sometimes.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Read posted:

I don't get the point of libraries, ostensibly they're to group folders together without that being the directory structure but they're all for filetypes that you would already naturally group together under one directory. Do people really have media scattered in enough locations on their drives that a library helps? Is it for people with multiple drives? I'm probably missing something obvious, they're just a nuisance to me.

Sharing between users, I guess. The Pictures library scrapes content from both the Pictures folder in an account's user directory as well as the one in the Public user directory.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Read posted:

Multiple drives, in my case. I've got three hard drives' worth of videos. I use a library to browse each drive's video folders simultaneously.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Read posted:

They make it easier to set up file sharing on the local network, in conjunction with homegroups. Great for like having your parents set things up so their documents and pictures can be accessed around the house.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Read posted:

If they replaced these with Libraries, I'd be happy as a clam; but for now they're just useless as I don't use the \user\Documents folders. You can move them, but they still don't have the Library meta-folder ability to pull in content from all over the place. They can't be hidden or removed, whereas the Libraries are now hidden by default because ???.

[e] 'because ???' sums up quite a few Windows 10 design choices, I think

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Read posted:

Think of it like "tags". You can quickly create a meta-folder for a project, without messing with your directory structure. All these folders might share a common theme, but not warrant a complete reorg of your filing system.

mike12345 posted:

Figured it out. They're messing with the way Twitter presents its data, so this feature might be going the way of the Dodo. Starting next week, Twitter will use automagic algorithms like Facebook. Barf.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I would be super, super surprised if they didn't still have some way to get the OG chronological timeline.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Can someone do me a favour? If you've bought and installed Rise of the Tomb Raider, does it appear in Program & Features for you?

Additionally, is there any simple way to tell which version of the game I have? There's been a patch released but there's nothing in the Store app that tells me about the version.

I also don't want to gently caress around giving myself access to the WindowsApps folder because last time I did that I broke all metro apps :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So, I need to run Windows 98 in a VM for a little while. The only thing is, it'll be a huge chore to find any of my old discs. I can find downloads all over the internets, but I'm not just going to run some random websites version of Windows 98 without having an MD5 or something to verify it's legit.

Anyone have any suggestions?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thermopyle posted:

So, I need to run Windows 98 in a VM for a little while. The only thing is, it'll be a huge chore to find any of my old discs. I can find downloads all over the internets, but I'm not just going to run some random websites version of Windows 98 without having an MD5 or something to verify it's legit.

Anyone have any suggestions?

The SHA-1 hash of the Windows 98 original ISO I ripped from a real CD is this, assuming 7-zip can be trusted:

The SHA-1 hash of the Windows 98 SE ISO I ripped from a real CD is this, again assuming 7-zip's thing can be trusted:

The 98 CD came from a Dell computer and the 98SE CD came from a Gateway. There could be differences from a retail CD.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nice, thanks!

Now to see if anything I download matches any of that...

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
If not and you can get away with XP, you can download legit VMs here: https://dev.windows.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/windows/

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What are some good email client recommendations

I'm looking for something that can handle multiple accounts; gmail and office 365. Bonus points if it has a good android app.

Right now I'm using one app for my cellphone, one program for my old windows 7 desktop, and the windows 10 mail app for my newer windows 10 laptop. I just want something that can work across all my devices, or at least across my laptop and desktop. Also, free.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm looking for something that can handle multiple accounts; gmail and office 365. Bonus points if it has a good android app.

Right now I'm using one app for my cellphone, one program for my old windows 7 desktop, and the windows 10 mail app for my newer windows 10 laptop. I just want something that can work across all my devices, or at least across my laptop and desktop. Also, free.

Just use default clients (and push that desktop to Windows 10 if it's at all capable). As a rule, iOS e-mail gets weird if you don't use iOS Mail, Android "E-Mail" is generally deprecated (and where it isn't it's OEM garbage you shouldn't use) and Gmail became a clean superset of it over a year ago, and on Linux and Windows 7 there's Thunderbird but it's pretty much in maintenance mode at this point. I'm not familiar enough with OS X Mail to know if it's good enough for daily use.

If you want the same name on the software... uh, WHY is it important that you have the same specific software on every device, when the whole point of e-mail (or at least IMAP and EAS (gently caress POP3)) is that clients don't really matter? If you're unreasonably devoted to this, I guess technically Outlook's on everything but Linux, but the phone/tablet versions are routed through the old acompli servers (which is one more server than you need your e-mail on, and is probably something you shouldn't want).

And there's always webmail for your computer; Gmail and MS e-mail work pretty well that way and while ISP webmail sucks out loud it probably sucks a lot less than it does on IMAP (and you should be using a non-ISP e-mail address if you care about it existing past your tenure with any given ISP anyway).

The only exception I can think of is that company Exchange e-mail on Android should probably be done with Nine (on an unrooted phone) so if they ever do a kill command it just eats the company partition instead of the entire phone. Why unrooted? All other concerns aside, if it's rooted they won't - or at least shouldn't - let you attach Exchange to your phone at all.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 9, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

-Blackadder- posted:

You're not going to find anything that's going to provide a good unified experience across all devices, especially if you're on Windows. Mac/iOS users have the advantage of Airmail being available on both platforms, but there's slim pickings for Windows as it is (aside from Mail in Windows 10, or Outlook if you need it, Mailbird is the only thing I'd recommend this decade).

Find a program you like on each platform, and enjoy what it gives you.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, I tried upgrading to windows 10 on my desktop but it wasn't having it, it's an old LGA 775, spent a day or so researching work around's but couldn't get any to work. I don't use iOS on any device so that's not an issue. I was thinking of something like Mailbird, thunderbird, or outlook. One thing I really like about gmail is the automatic filtering of primary, social, and promotion tabs. Every time I run my gmails through a different client I get snowed by all the promotional emails I get but never used to see when I just used gmail, so I might just try that. I know there's a way to set up your own filtering system but I'm not sure how to do it. Also, email programs are obviously functionally different beyond the name on the software so wanting to use the same program across devices is most definitely not unreasonable. Thanks, though.

EDIT: ^^^ Yeah, I think I'm going to give mailbird a shot, it has such rave reviews that it sounds like it's at least worth a look and it'll work on both my windows machines. Hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle to setup a filtering system like gmail uses.

EDIT2: Scratch that apparently mailbird doesn't have inbox filtering.

EDIT3: vvv Actually, I was just looking at that, I'll check it out, thanks.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't know if it has what you want for filtering, but switched from Thunderbird to eM Client a little whole back and have been very happy except for the inexplicable absence of threaded conversations.