Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You'll have two Windows 10 computers, not two Windows 10 keys. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

If you install Media Player Classic Home Cinema and madVR, in madVR's settings, you can do this easily.

Mpc does it without madvr too. It's somewhere in the settings!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Ghostlight posted:

You'll have two Windows 10 computers, not two Windows 10 keys. :eng101:

I'm really hoping that come August, we get a formal, purchasable Win 10 upgrade. If the 'digital entitlement' knocks out the transferrability of my retail 8.1, that's lovely.
I'll happily pay to do so, but a full retail purchase of 10 to get a transferrable key would leave me with 2 full licences on my hands.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ihmemies posted:

Mpc does it without madvr too. It's somewhere in the settings!

Ah, OK, I guess I never looked closely enough. But if you care enough about changing the refresh to match the video so you don't use pulldown, then you're probably the kind of person that would want madVR anyway.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The latest piece in a string of "important" updates M$ is trying to push: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3173040

Yet another fullscreen ad for their new product. Windows can't die fast enough as a platform.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kerbtree posted:

I'm really hoping that come August, we get a formal, purchasable Win 10 upgrade. If the 'digital entitlement' knocks out the transferrability of my retail 8.1, that's lovely.
I'll happily pay to do so, but a full retail purchase of 10 to get a transferrable key would leave me with 2 full licences on my hands.

Anyway the digital entitlement only really takes away transferability of your key in business environments, since if your place of business got audited they'd be fined for say, using the 8.1 key on another computer and for the Windows 10 upgrade. But the 8.1 key itself remains valid, so if you're just using it at home they don't care.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

Cool thanks. I guess I should use my Windows 7 key on my other PC and upgrade it to 10 before July 29th as well? That way I can have 2 Windows 10 keys :lumpen:

Two Windows 10 Digital Entitlements. :lumpen:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

There are places online that sell OEM keys for like $30.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Ihmemies posted:

The latest piece in a string of "important" updates M$ is trying to push: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3173040

Yet another fullscreen ad for their new product. Windows can't die fast enough as a platform.

Yeah this is nothing at all like the modal dialogs that pop up while watching a fullscreen video on my iPad saying I have to upgrade to iOS vNext. Guess what happens if you hit cancel? It comes back every day.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Inverness posted:

I was about to run my regular image backup using the "Create a system image" option in the control panel.

For some reason it now considers my G: drive to be a system drive too. That is most certainly not the case. The last time I did a backup was on April 28th and it was not a system drive then.

I'm having to run the wbadmin command manually now to exclude that drive. It warned that I wouldn't be able to use that image to restore the OS, so I'm a tad worried about that.

What could have changed to have caused this?

I actually came up with a theory while typing this post. Could having the Oculus Rift service running on that drive be making Windows consider it a system drive? If that is the case I'll need to reinstall it on C: then create a symlink for storing downloaded games.
Quoting myself to say that this was the issue. If you have a service running on another drive, that will be considered a system drive for the purposes of backup images.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Yeah this is nothing at all like the modal dialogs that pop up while watching a fullscreen video on my iPad saying I have to upgrade to iOS vNext. Guess what happens if you hit cancel? It comes back every day.

I'm pretty sure the OS X Updates notification comes back every day, too.

The personal problem I have with 10's default update behavior is that it'll install at 2AM, even if there is high utilization or user (keyboard/mouse) utilization. They need to make it a bit smarter.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"But OSX..." is the "but Amerikkka!" of IT discussions; it's a bad idea no matter who's doing it. I'm actually perfectly fine with having it remind or install automatically by default but there really has to be a way to configure this behavior when it's not desirable for whatever reason.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

"But OSX..." is the "but Amerikkka!" of IT discussions; it's a bad idea no matter who's doing it. I'm actually perfectly fine with having it remind or install automatically by default but there really has to be a way to configure this behavior when it's not desirable for whatever reason.

There is. Go set it to ask you to set an installation time instead of automagically install updates.

(And I did it as a response to the iPad update reminders. I could have gone "But Leenucks!" :v: )

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah sorry, didn't mean this as a direct response to your post. Ios and Android updates are also extremely annoying. For the iphone, I need to wait until IT checks it for compatibility with our apps and what not, and my Android phone couldn't complete the update because of insufficient space. It'd bug me about it, then eventually start downloading and installing it, only to fail every single time.

One of my Win7 machines just got a Win10 popup - has the July 29 deadline and "Upgrade now" and "Decline free offer" options. Does "decline" tell it to gently caress off forever? Would it be still possible to start the upgrade manually, if necessary?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah sorry, didn't mean this as a direct response to your post. Ios and Android updates are also extremely annoying. For the iphone, I need to wait until IT checks it for compatibility with our apps and what not, and my Android phone couldn't complete the update because of insufficient space. It'd bug me about it, then eventually start downloading and installing it, only to fail every single time.

One of my Win7 machines just got a Win10 popup - has the July 29 deadline and "Upgrade now" and "Decline free offer" options. Does "decline" tell it to gently caress off forever? Would it be still possible to start the upgrade manually, if necessary?

You can start the upgrade manually by downloading the executable from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

You can do the manual upgrade at any time until July 29th.

efb: fishmech :argh:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
So is microsoft going to stop pushing "Update to 10!" updates on windows 7 after July or are they changing them to "Buy 10 now!" instead? Or is this not known?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So here's a dumb question: which media player do people generally use in Windows these days? VLC has been artifacting on video playback on three different computers for me and I'm a bit tired of it. I noticed Media Player Classic being mentioned in the last couple of pages, is that the general favourite?

I'm not really a power user so I don't need a billion features, but VLC has som QoL stuff I'd like to have in whatever replaces it - mainly not having to worry about downloading different codecs like it's the early 2000s, decent handling of subtitles and the in-app subtitle search engine (although I can live without that one).

Sorry if there's a readily available answer for this, I scoured the OP and the last few pages but found nothing and Googling just gets me recommendations for VLC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Woebin posted:

So here's a dumb question: which media player do people generally use in Windows these days? VLC has been artifacting on video playback on three different computers for me and I'm a bit tired of it. I noticed Media Player Classic being mentioned in the last couple of pages, is that the general favourite?

I'm not really a power user so I don't need a billion features, but VLC has som QoL stuff I'd like to have in whatever replaces it - mainly not having to worry about downloading different codecs like it's the early 2000s, decent handling of subtitles and the in-app subtitle search engine (although I can live without that one).

Sorry if there's a readily available answer for this, I scoured the OP and the last few pages but found nothing and Googling just gets me recommendations for VLC.

Yeah MPC-HC is the way to go. You would only need codec downloads for it if you suddenly needed to play some strange 90s/early 2000s video formats, everything mainstream is already included in it or in Windows proper.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Plek posted:

So is microsoft going to stop pushing "Update to 10!" updates on windows 7 after July or are they changing them to "Buy 10 now!" instead? Or is this not known?

I bet they start selling win10 to you instead. They have a working ad platform in place, why stop using it until you succumb and update?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Plek posted:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/get-windows-10-app-will-removed-windows-78-1-july-29th-free-offer-ends

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Plek posted:

After a year they've probably gotten all of the people they wanted to upgrade anyway (non-business customers that aren't going to buy a computer for the next few years). Everyone else is either enterprise customers who pay them lots of money to keep old stuff working, or people who will be forced to switch in the next few years out of attrition.

Also keep in mind that worldwide market share is very misleading. Microsoft doesn't care about the large parts of the world that use XP, for example, because they're not the regions that actually pay money for all of these services. In the US, adoption of newer technologies (and W10 in particular in this case) is much faster.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

fishmech posted:

Yeah MPC-HC is the way to go. You would only need codec downloads for it if you suddenly needed to play some strange 90s/early 2000s video formats, everything mainstream is already included in it or in Windows proper.
This is looking pretty good, thanks.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

mobby_6kl posted:

If there's a way to get iOS to not prompt about OS upgrades while watching fullscreen video let me know

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Awesome, so a solid 'maybe.' Although they mentioned removing the previous updates so I guess I will assume they will not start pushing a purchase.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Woebin posted:

This is looking pretty good, thanks.
MPC-HC (x86) with madVR (Settings => Playback => Output) is the way to go. Sometimes, you may up misconfiguring it to the point where VLC works better, but that's the optimal I've found through the years.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Factor Mystic posted:

If there's a way to get iOS to not prompt about OS upgrades while watching fullscreen video let me know

Upgrade your OS.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I guess this is the right thread to ask about the Surface 3? I just got one and heard that using a slow micro sd card can impact performance quite a bit. What's the bare minimum I should use for the surface?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
If I buy a new SSD and put it in my machine with my existing HD, can I use my Windows 7 Key to do a clean install of Windows 10 on it, and still boot off my old hard disk into Windows 7? i.e. dual boot for a while until I get everything set up and working on my Windows 10 drive? Or will the Windows 7 install become deactivated once it sees the licence key has been used for an upgrade?

I want to take advantage of the free upgrade before it expires but I'm also at a fairly crucial point in a part time degree course so I don't want to take the risk (however small) of having my machine out of service or not having access to software I need for even a couple of days.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chippy posted:

If I buy a new SSD and put it in my machine with my existing HD, can I use my Windows 7 Key to do a clean install of Windows 10 on it, and still boot off my old hard disk into Windows 7? i.e. dual boot for a while until I get everything set up and working on my Windows 10 drive? Or will the Windows 7 install become deactivated once it sees the licence key has been used for an upgrade?

I want to take advantage of the free upgrade before it expires but I'm also at a fairly crucial point in a part time degree course so I don't want to take the risk (however small) of having my machine out of service or not having access to software I need for even a couple of days.

You can dual boot in this way in this situation. The key never gets revoked, although it's technically against the licensing rules to do it this way. That really only matter if this computer is going to be used for business stuff though, so don't sweat it.

It could be a pain to actually set up the dual boot itself though, since you'll be installing onto separate drives. But the easiest way to do that would be to simply only connect the 10 drive when you want to run 10, and the 7 drive when you want to run 7.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 6, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

fishmech posted:

You can dual boot in this way in this situation. The key never gets revoked, although it's technically against the licensing rules to do it this way. That really only matter if this computer is going to be used for business stuff though, so don't sweat it.

It could be a pain to actually set up the dual boot itself though, since you'll be installing onto separate drives. But the easiest way to do that would be to simply only connect the 10 drive when you want to run 10, and the 7 drive when you want to run 7.

Is it really that much of a pain to boot? Don't I just need to change the boot order in the BIOS?

In fact, I'm sure in the past when I've had multiple bootable drives in a machine, I've just been asked which one I want to use on startup. Or am I mis-remembering this? Maybe I'm thinking of having two OS installations on the same drive.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chippy posted:

Is it really that much of a pain to boot? Don't I just need to change the boot order in the BIOS?

In fact, I'm sure in the past when I've had multiple bootable drives in a machine, I've just been asked which one I want to use on startup. Or am I mis-remembering this? Maybe I'm thinking of having two OS installations on the same drive.

You can do that too, but what I'm talking about is editing the bootloader on the drive itself so that you can select them from a menu at boot time, instead of having to change boot order in BIOS or removing and replacing drives.

That said: it's best to remove all drives except the one you'll be installing to anyway, just to make sure you don't accidentally format your existing system disk.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

fishmech posted:

You can do that too, but what I'm talking about is editing the bootloader on the drive itself so that you can select them from a menu at boot time, instead of having to change boot order in BIOS or removing and replacing drives.

That said: it's best to remove all drives except the one you'll be installing to anyway, just to make sure you don't accidentally format your existing system disk.
Or worse yet, ending up with a system drive that isn't C:.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Charliegrs posted:

This is probably not the case for you, but Spotify was waking my PC up like crazy. I just remember to turn off Spotify before I put my PC to sleep and now it never wakes up.

Ugh this would be a perfect troubleshooting option but I use Spotify on my MacBook, not my Windows machine. :(

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

clockworkjoe posted:

I guess this is the right thread to ask about the Surface 3? I just got one and heard that using a slow micro sd card can impact performance quite a bit. What's the bare minimum I should use for the surface?

Anyone?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross posting from the laptop thread to get this thread's take:

Is Windows 10 Pro recommended for laptops becuase it has bitlocker and laptops generally have more chance to be stolen? Are there cheaper solutions that would work with Home for encryption? Does encryption of the drive makes use slower?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Red_Fred posted:

Cross posting from the laptop thread to get this thread's take:

Is Windows 10 Pro recommended for laptops becuase it has bitlocker and laptops generally have more chance to be stolen? Are there cheaper solutions that would work with Home for encryption? Does encryption of the drive makes use slower?
A quick search suggests that Windows 10 Home still supports full-disk encryption (not BitLocker) through the hardware TPM if your device supports TPM 2.0 and InstantGo/Connected Standby, which most devices manufactured after 2013 (Haswell) should have. You also have a number of free encryption tools out there like VeraCrypt, if you prefer to go that route.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

What are you trying to use the MicroSD card for, exactly? If it's just to hold some music and pictures and maybe video, then pretty much any card is fast enough. If it's to hold programs you'll be running off the card though, you're going to need to get one as fast as possible, and really should avoid the idea altogether.

Currently the absolute fastest microsd cards you can get are around 150 megabyte per second read and write, which will be noticeably slower than modern SSDs, and slightly less expensive ones do about 90 megabytes per second which is still pretty slow. Common ones that aren't very expensive tend to do 10-30 megabytes per second, which will certainly be slower than your onboard storage.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

fishmech posted:

What are you trying to use the MicroSD card for, exactly? If it's just to hold some music and pictures and maybe video, then pretty much any card is fast enough. If it's to hold programs you'll be running off the card though, you're going to need to get one as fast as possible, and really should avoid the idea altogether.

Currently the absolute fastest microsd cards you can get are around 150 megabyte per second read and write, which will be noticeably slower than modern SSDs, and slightly less expensive ones do about 90 megabytes per second which is still pretty slow. Common ones that aren't very expensive tend to do 10-30 megabytes per second, which will certainly be slower than your onboard storage.

Probably watch HD videos, so at least a class 10 or even faster than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

clockworkjoe posted:

Probably watch HD videos, so at least a class 10 or even faster than that?

Class 10 would be more than enough until you're getting into 4K resolution videos. Common formats of HD videos tend to have a total bitrate of 16 to 40 megabits per second - which is 2 to 5 megabytes per second. Class 10 means it'll do 10 megabytes per second reads (so long as you don't actually have a counterfeit card) so that'll be just fine - even class 6 would probably be ok.