Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

EugeneJ posted:

This is like the 4th time an update has bricked my computer in the last 6 months. Frustrating.

With Windows 10 Microsoft has completely given up on testing their updates. I sort of want the anniversary update for the Ubuntu stuff, but I'll wait until after I do a full disk image so I can recover from it.

Before I blocked the updates I came home to a bricked installation, even though I was still able to read from the drive and copy what I needed to my NAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Microsoft has basically used the insiders program as a way of outsourcing its quality control to free volunteers - Ars Technica had an excellent article on this subject a while back. Microsoft has actually fired most of its QA staff as a cost cutting measure, and is insiders program as a sort of crowd sourced quality control. But unlike say chrome and Firefox, where even the nightly track is pretty stable, and thousands of people use them as daily drivers, Microsoft insider previews are released in a very crappy state, and Microsoft encourages people Not to use them on their daily driver. This means that a ton of crap slips through.

What Microsoft is trying to achieve with its new windows update model is a really good thing, but their implementation sucks, and one thing that has been made very clear over the past few years is that Microsoft is terrible at quality control, and at maintaining a high standard of spit and polish.

Frankly it speaks volumes that Linux mint is now the more polished operating system. For myself I've been increasingly keen to ditch windows for Apple's polished, shiny pastures, and only thing keeping me from doing so is the fact that you can't buy an iMac with a half decent video card. The day that ever changes, I'm gone.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Lord Bude posted:

Frankly it speaks volumes that Linux mint is now the more polished operating system. For myself I've been increasingly keen to ditch windows for Apple's polished, shiny pastures, and only thing keeping me from doing so is the fact that you can't buy an iMac with a half decent video card. The day that ever changes, I'm gone.

So when eGPUs hit economy of scale production output?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

So when eGPUs hit economy of scale production output?

It's an inelegant solution, but I'd take it. Personally though I'm hoping now that power usage for gpus has dropped to the point where Nvidia doesn't have seperate laptop lines, I'll eventually be able to just buy an iMac with a 1070 or 1080 in it or something. There was that leaked job posting from Nvidia a while back to that suggested there might be Nvidia cards on macs again soon. Or I'd take something from AMD. Honestly just as soon as I can get say 1060-1070 levels of performance.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Desuwa posted:

With Windows 10 Microsoft has completely given up on testing their updates. I sort of want the anniversary update for the Ubuntu stuff, but I'll wait until after I do a full disk image so I can recover from it.

Before I blocked the updates I came home to a bricked installation, even though I was still able to read from the drive and copy what I needed to my NAS.

The only reason I got a refurbished Windows laptop earlier in the year instead of a Chromebook was so I can play Quake Live on Steam and use iTunes to backup my iPhone.

I'm willing to give it up so I don't have to keep going through this.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
This is more of an internet browser question, but I'm running Windows 7 and I think it may have something to do with my actual computer as well:

I've noticed that when I use Google Chrome, when practically ANY page loads, I get messages in the bottom of the window along the lines of: "waiting for ext.taotaosou.com" or "waiting for dclog.taotaosou.com". I did a search on taotaosou and it's some lovely no name Chinese website that revolves around image searches and online shopping. I can't find anything like "taotaosou" on my computer, but I don't know why I keep seeing it... any suggestions of how I can root out the problem or shed some light on what this thing might be doing?

Thank you.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

nickmeister posted:

This is more of an internet browser question, but I'm running Windows 7 and I think it may have something to do with my actual computer as well:

I've noticed that when I use Google Chrome, when practically ANY page loads, I get messages in the bottom of the window along the lines of: "waiting for ext.taotaosou.com" or "waiting for dclog.taotaosou.com". I did a search on taotaosou and it's some lovely no name Chinese website that revolves around image searches and online shopping. I can't find anything like "taotaosou" on my computer, but I don't know why I keep seeing it... any suggestions of how I can root out the problem or shed some light on what this thing might be doing?

Thank you.

I would look at your add-ons to see if there is anything you're not 100% on.

Then the normal recommendation of Malwarebytes and do a virus scan. I'd lean more toward a sketchy add-on.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Is there a good equivalent (UWP app or otherwise) to the dictionary/thesaurus app that comes with MacOS? I've been looking at stuff both online and in the Windows Store, and the only thing I've seen maybe is WordWeb.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I purchased an Office 365 subscription a couple months ago, primarily because I wanted Outlook for my laptop. Since it came with 1TB of OneDrive storage, I started using it. I had about 4 or 5 GBs of Dropbox space I was using before.

My work computer is running Windows 7, so I have to install OneDrive on it separately. I've noticed that if I save a file in Excel, it will save my updates to the OneDrive copy, but not necessarily the local copy, even though I tell OneDrive to "Sync all files and folders in my OneDrive." I would have to open the file from within Excel to get the actual updates I made, rather than through Explorer, which isn't going to work for me. Additionally, sometimes I will open a file I am expecting to be on my HDD, and I see a "retrieving from OneDrive" dialog window, and the file location listed under the "recent files" will be http://d.docs.live.net/xxxxx instead of the file location on my local machine. I also have the problem where if I rename a file, OneDrive will then "restore" the "missing" file, ie the same file but with the previous name.

Has anyone else experienced this, or am I just doing it wrong? I never had anything happen like this is Dropbox. It's really frustrating, because some of these spreadsheets I am updating, it would be easy to not even notice the update was not saved, or the spreadsheet I opened from explorer is different from the spreadsheet that is stored in OneDrive.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Toe Rag posted:

I purchased an Office 365 subscription a couple months ago, primarily because I wanted Outlook for my laptop. Since it came with 1TB of OneDrive storage, I started using it. I had about 4 or 5 GBs of Dropbox space I was using before.

My work computer is running Windows 7, so I have to install OneDrive on it separately. I've noticed that if I save a file in Excel, it will save my updates to the OneDrive copy, but not necessarily the local copy, even though I tell OneDrive to "Sync all files and folders in my OneDrive." I would have to open the file from within Excel to get the actual updates I made, rather than through Explorer, which isn't going to work for me. Additionally, sometimes I will open a file I am expecting to be on my HDD, and I see a "retrieving from OneDrive" dialog window, and the file location listed under the "recent files" will be http://d.docs.live.net/xxxxx instead of the file location on my local machine. I also have the problem where if I rename a file, OneDrive will then "restore" the "missing" file, ie the same file but with the previous name.

Has anyone else experienced this, or am I just doing it wrong? I never had anything happen like this is Dropbox. It's really frustrating, because some of these spreadsheets I am updating, it would be easy to not even notice the update was not saved, or the spreadsheet I opened from explorer is different from the spreadsheet that is stored in OneDrive.
OneDrive is... finicky. We use it at work, and it can be a pain, especially with the client. I use it for class (free from school), and only with Office programs like OneNote or Word, because the built in support is much better than the actual file syncing program. There are programs like ExpanDrive to make it easier to use and generally do a better job of handling the content, but if you like Dropbox, then I'd just use that instead.

Personally, I went with the Office 365 E1 license at home. I didn't need Office, so it works out great.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

e: wrong thread

Shy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 8, 2016

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is there a recommended simple video editing software? I mostly just want to trim down game captures to the interesting bits and share them with some friends.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there a recommended simple video editing software? I mostly just want to trim down game captures to the interesting bits and share them with some friends.

You could try (the terribly named) avidemux

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is it still possible to Activate Windows 10 on a fresh install with a Win7 key?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Stan Taylor posted:

The xbox app can make & trim game captures.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SnatchRabbit posted:

Is it still possible to Activate Windows 10 on a fresh install with a Win7 key?

People have been reporting that it still works, but MS could turn it off whenever they want, so there are never any guarantees.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I bought an M-Disc drive for archiving purposes.

Am I OK using built in windows burning for it or do I need to get a program like Nero or something? If I need something else, any recommendations?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Synergy is having a sale right now for $3/$8 if you're still using an unreg'd version:
http://symless.com/flash-sale-b

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thanks for that. I grabbed a couple licenses.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Huh, when did Synergy go paid?

Edit: Bought a license anyway. It's been years since I used it last, but it's a good piece of software.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 11, 2016

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Huh, when did Synergy go paid?

I think it's been a couple years now. If you dig around enough you used to still be able to download it for free, not sure if that page is still on their site. I donated $5 a long time ago and got a lifetime key.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

EoRaptor posted:

People have been reporting that it still works, but MS could turn it off whenever they want, so there are never any guarantees.

Not only have retail Windows 7 keys always worked fine, I'm 3/4 for COA keys on oldie but goodie machines bought off EBay. The 4th key wouldn't take in the Windows 10 installer, so I loaded up a Windows 7 Pro install, did phone activation, then immediately updated to 10 and got a digital entitlement.

It has been months since MS said they would turn this off, but it's in their best interest to get everyone possible to 10. Like you said, no one can predict the future, but it seems this will be a viable route for people to update to 10 for a while more.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

bobfather posted:

Not only have retail Windows 7 keys always worked fine, I'm 3/4 for COA keys on oldie but goodie machines bought off EBay. The 4th key wouldn't take in the Windows 10 installer, so I loaded up a Windows 7 Pro install, did phone activation, then immediately updated to 10 and got a digital entitlement.

It has been months since MS said they would turn this off, but it's in their best interest to get everyone possible to 10. Like you said, no one can predict the future, but it seems this will be a viable route for people to update to 10 for a while more.

They want people on 10, be it paid or unpaid. They used scarcity as a tactic e.g. "time limited" upgrades. I highly doubt they're ever actually going to make it difficult to upgrade for free.

Enterprise is where the money is for Windows anyways.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In MS Word (or any Office program really), is there a way to encrypt a file with a password, then remove that encryption later? Essentially I want to password-protect a file, move it and work on it elsewhere, then unlock the file and send it to someone else for review.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

C-Euro posted:

In MS Word (or any Office program really), is there a way to encrypt a file with a password, then remove that encryption later? Essentially I want to password-protect a file, move it and work on it elsewhere, then unlock the file and send it to someone else for review.

If you remotely care about having a robust, proven encryption scheme, you should use GPG. This is a well solved problem. You could also use something like 7zip's encryption, which is just another face on the same underlying technology. AES-256 should do just fine.

https://www.gpg4win.org/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Twerk from Home posted:

If you remotely care about having a robust, proven encryption scheme, you should use GPG. This is a well solved problem. You could also use something like 7zip's encryption, which is just another face on the same underlying technology. AES-256 should do just fine.

https://www.gpg4win.org/

Some background- this is for moving stuff between home and work. Normally if I had something I was working on that I wanted to move from place to place, it was saved to a thumb drive and I would just plug it in at work and write to that. However, corporate IT came out today and said that they're shutting down our ability to write to, from, and on external devices from our work computers, and told us to just email ourselves files back and forth if we need to move them from one site to the other (which doesn't seem any more secure if you ask me). We're also not allowed to install anything on our work computers, and while I could talk to IT about letting me install this I'd much rather try and figure out how it do it solely using Office (also because I think I know what their answer will be).

So I just want to be able to work on said files without others being able to access them, and to then be able to remove that protection so I can send said file to a customer without them having to work to access it. Possible to do using solely Office, or can this other program do that while, say, only being installed on my home computer?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 11, 2016

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Some background- this is for moving stuff between home and work. Normally if I had something I was working on that I wanted to move from place to place, it was saved to a thumb drive and I would just plug it in at work and write to that. However, corporate IT came out today and said that they're shutting down our ability to write to, from, and on external devices from our work computers, and told us to just email ourselves files back and forth if we need to move them from one site to the other (which doesn't seem any more secure if you ask me). We're also not allowed to install anything on our work computers, and while I could talk to IT about letting me install this I'd much rather try and figure out how it do it solely using Office (also because I think I know what their answer will be).

So I just want to be able to work on said files without others being able to access them, and to then be able to remove that protection so I can send said file to a customer without them having to work to access it. Possible to do using solely Office, or can this other program do that while, say, only being installed on my home computer?

Office's built-in encryption?

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...16-38d3e37d6826

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

I had found the ability to put a password on a doc, but didn't realize that removing the encryption was as simple as deleting the password box. Whoops :downs: Thank you

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
And MS Office has used AES for a long time now (since 2007?) so you're getting decent protection too.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So the font changed for the forums in Chrome and I've already tried a complete default reset in Chrome. Can anyone else me figure this out, entirely unsure what caused the change.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

SlayVus posted:

So the font changed for the forums in Chrome and I've already tried a complete default reset in Chrome. Can anyone else me figure this out, entirely unsure what caused the change.

Have a look in the Chrome thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457316&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=82
Seems like some people fixed this by deleting the Roboto Bold or Open Sans fonts.
Also, if you are using beta or nightly dev. builds, perhaps try and switch back to the stable version.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Is there a console command that is the equivalent of Disk Management -> select physical drive -> right click -> Offline / Online ?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Is there a console command that is the equivalent of Disk Management -> select physical drive -> right click -> Offline / Online ?

Under the regular command prompt, you can use diskpart to do so. Diskpart -> select disk # -> online/offline disk.

With powershell you can do it in a single line as "select disk #", "online/offline disk" | diskpart

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I have my browser fonts set to Segoe UI, since it's the best thing Microsoft has done in recent years.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What's everyone's favorite PDF viewer these days? I've had Foxit for a while but it now auto-crashes every time I open a PDF, which seems counter-productive.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For just reading, I've been very happy with Sumatra.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

If you're on Windows 10, I've found the Adobe Reader Touch app in the store to be pretty reliable and not nearly as painful as the old Adobe Reader versions were.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

hooah posted:

For just reading, I've been very happy with Sumatra.

Same here. It's not real good with big PDFs with lots of images IMO, but Foxit sure is a pile o' crap these days I just deal with it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

C-Euro posted:

What's everyone's favorite PDF viewer these days? I've had Foxit for a while but it now auto-crashes every time I open a PDF, which seems counter-productive.

PDF Xchange is still the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I uh, use Chrome to read PDF's. It's not bad?