Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I underestimated the space usage of Windows 7 and made its partition 25 GB. How do I resize it? The Extend Volume... function is disabled in Disk Management.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Is there anything I can do about that without having to format?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've got a question for an annoyance I've faced since switching to Windows 7.
Every time I start Windows and want to use ventrilo, my microphone doesn't work (it's connected to the mic port on an X-Fi) since it's "Currently Unavailable".
If I want to use it without hearing myself, I have to go into Sound/Playback/Speakers/Levels and un-mute the microphone, this makes the microphone available. Now it works, but I can hear myself. Muting it again doesn't work, I have to open the Volume Mixer in the system tray to turn down the Line-In for some reason.

How can I avoid doing this everytime I want to use my microphone?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Is there some way to change which folder opens when I click the Windows Explorer button next to the Start gem?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
If I have several 32-bit applications running on a 64-bit windows 7, can the total addressed memory of these application exceed 4GB? I can't see why not but someone asked my and I wasn't 100% sure.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I have an old Windows XP partition I don't use but Windows 7 won't let me format it as it tells me it's a system drive. When I boot my computer I get a choice of booting in Windows 7 or XP, which I don't really want. How can I fix these two annoyances?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
That probably worked, but now my computer doesn't boot :( I figure that the boot manager was on that partition. What do I do?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Well it got rid of the boot choosing thing. I'll try finding my Win 7 disc tomorrow. Thanks.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I have Windows 7 on one out of three partitions on my main disk. I've bought an SSD and want to move my OS to it. The only guides I've found deal with copying the entire disk to the SSD, and my SSD isn't big enough for that.

How do I do this the best way?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I tried using CloneZilla, but it gave me a couple of errors and didn't clone the boot section. I'll try checking the SSD thread but there isn't anything in the OP :(

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Corsair Force 3 120GB

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've got an MSI Wind that won't boot because of corrupt system files or something and I need to make a recovery USB pen someway since the netbook doesn't have a CD drive. The netbook has Windows XP and my main computer has Windows 7 64-bit.

How do I make a recovery disk on my USB-pen? I can't seem to find any sensible guides out there.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I got a used laptop with Windows 7 and every time I try to copy anything, it pops up with a box asking for administrator privileges and it's getting pretty annoying. And when I open text files, edit them and save them again, it only lets me save a copy of the file in My Documents unless I specifically open notepad as an administrator and this is pissing me off.

How do I fix these things?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks for the UAC tips. The files I edit are configuration files for applications in the Program Files directories. If I edit them and just try to save them at the same place it just gives me an Access Denied error. I have to save it to My Documents and then move it over to the correct place.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Is there a program that can tell me, when I for example upload a file to a server, which gateways it's going through?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Sometimes when I dick around in Windows, start Visual Studio, winamp, other things, the active window halts while it loads my external hard drive. It shouldn't be using the drive for anything, but it waits for it to start up. It's pretty annoying, but I don't know what to do about it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Apparently, I installed a Windows 7 Professional on my laptop which has a licence for Home Premium. Is there any way to down-grade or something, or do I have to reinstall all the poo poo?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Is there a good alternative Skype client out there? It crashes on startup on my laptop and I can't be assed to fix it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Dropbox question:

Is there a way to stop it from downloading everything from my account? I have it both on my desktop and laptop, and I don't really have the disk space for all my crap on my laptop.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
drat, that's fancy. Must have missed it when I looked for it. Thanks.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Is there some fancy way to be able to use Winamp when my computer is locked. I don't want people to fiddle with my computer when I'm having a party or something.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Two things:

A) My computer takes 5-7 seconds from when I power it on to when it shows me the POST screen. What gives? I'm running an SSD and this pretty much dominates the time it takes to boot.

B) Sometimes my computer just freezes and I can't even press the restart button. I have to hold the power down till it turns off and start it again.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
In some games my GPU behaves a little odd. I get a decent enough framerate, but in a consistent rate the game is a little choppy. Like every half second it hangs for a very short time. It's not much, but it's noticable and very annoying. Any ideas?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
When I click the back-button in Chrome, it just loads indefinitely without going to the previous page. What gives?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
No, it's all pages.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Can we just assume that he is describing the problem accurately?

Not really. If I go to Google, and search for a specific page, then click the link, I get where I want. If I click the back button in Chrome it just loads indefinitely instead of going back to Google. There's no redirect and the problem is only on my laptop.

I don't have any extensions.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Crosspost from monitor thread:

My father bought a Samsung U28D590D 4K monitor with 40 bit color depth, but he can't select 40 bit in monitor settings. This is Windows 7. How should this be set?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I have an Asus vg236h monitor. It's capable of 120 Hz through DVI but only 60 Hz through HDMI. My GPU doesn't have enough DVI ports, so I bought a DisplayPort adapter, and connected to that, but I can' select 120 Hz in the monitor settings. What gives?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I have three issues:

1. I once had Windows 8.1 installed, but I've since removed the hard drive on which it was installed. When my computer boots, it asks me if I want to boot Windows 10(it did it with 7 before too) or Windows 8.1, but it gives an error if I choose 8.1. I only have 10 installed right now, how do I get it to stop asking me?

2. The time it takes from when I turn my computer on to when it displays the POST report and actually starts booting is 10-15 seconds. Why is it this long? I only have a few USB devices attached.

3. Sometimes my computer simply freezes completely, and I have to do a cold reset. This was a problem in Windows 7, and I hoped upgrading to 10 would help, but it still does it. How can I troubleshoot this?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I upgraded to Windows 10 when it was free, but I re-installed Windows 7, since I wasn't really happy with 10 yet. I'm thinking of giving it a go with a clean install. How do I find the key I got?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

tied to your motherboard.

Fun fact: I want to do a clean install since I got a new motherboard :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I'll give it a shot, and cry if it doesn't work. Should I be able to have both Windows 7 and 10 installed on two different disks, with the same key?