Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Switched from XP to 7100 as my only OS and have no major complaints at the moment.

Everything looks really well put together, and I haven't encountered any bluescreens at all, even on new hardware.

My only issue is getting outdated printers (ie, no vista drivers) to work with it, but I can just live without those, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I know this sounds pretty trivial, but is there a way to get Sticky Notes to run invisibly in the background? I like the idea of having sticky notes on my desktop, since I have a habit of using the real thing on the edge of my monitor, but I don't like cluttering up my taskbar with the icon of something that would be running 24/7.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Casao posted:

Keep in mind, you also can't upgrade to the RC from the beta. But a quick ini edit fixes this.

You can upgrade from beta to RC if you're running 7077 without any ini changes, though. That's worth mentioning.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This thread is moving fast enough, so sorry if this has been asked, but:

Any clues to how to fix a weird cursor problem? I've already updated my graphic drivers (ati) as much as possible. It seems like it might be related to a dual-screen setup, so I'm worried that it won't get fixed before the launch, and it's driving me nuts.

Basically every so often (under half hour of general computer use), my cursor will become graphically-corrupted. It will still function fine, and moving it rapidly between my two screens will fix it, but it's really freaking annoying.

Anyone else running into this?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hey, dumb Windows 7 question.

Installed windows 7 on a brand-new computer in April, and started noticing in August that the hard drive was failing. When I went back and reviewed the Windows 7 system logs, I found out the drive has been reporting bad blocks since June, and Windows 7 had never said a word to me.

Is there a way to get it to pop up an alert if the hard drive finds bad blocks? I'm running a replacement drive and it's a pain to remember to manually check the log regularly.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

No one thinks to look at the Event Viewer on a daily basis, so how the hell was the end user supposed to know the drive was failing?

To be fair, when (in early September) the SMART system started sending out alerts, then Windows 7 started alerting me to issues. It's just that it ignored all the bad block stuff for a few months, first.

Got my replacement drive working. Too bad it's one of the 'noisy' drives you get occasionally. The first one was whisper-quiet. :sigh:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Noisy how?

As in, I can also hear it when the HDD light comes on. Just a faint noise, hard to describe.

I've had drives like this before that worked fine for years. It's just a little noisy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Okay, so, I was planning to buy the upgrade version of 64bit Win7 and use my 32bit XP cd with it. But from reading this thread, it seems I can't just pop in the XP cd as proof, I need to install XP and THEN wipe the drive to install windows 7.

I can deal with that. All my media files and documents are on a seperate partition.

My question is, is I'm having to wipe my current os (RC1 of the Win7 beta) to install XP, is there a quick and easy way to get my Windows 7 preferences back into the retail version of Windows 7 once I reinstall? I was counting on being able to just install over the beta until now.

I skipped Vista entirely, so I haven't fiddled with any of the migration wizards or anything.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

Fixed for you, if you wipe the drive you're just going to have to install XP again.

I mean formatting the partition as part of the install process for windows 7 after it verifies the XP install, to clarify.

The main question was the easiest way to import my current Win7 beta configs into the retail version without being able to install on top of it.

edit: Wait, I've got a spare blank partition. Could I install XP on THAT and then install the retail version on top of my beta version?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm getting a weird bug that I thought was a result of a hard drive with bad sectors when I was running Windows 7 Beta, but now that I'm on a fresh hard drive with a clean install if Win7 Home Premium, and it's still doing it, I've got no clue how to fix it:

I'm running a dual-monitor setup, HD4870, and sometimes, maybe 10% of the time, that I move my mouse cursor between screens, it graphically corrupts. I'll get a quarter of the mouse cursor repeated four times, or something similar.

Moving it back and forth between monitors usually fixes this, but I'm stumped why it's happening in the first place. SFC says all files are good.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yaos posted:

Do you have a Gigabyte motherboard? Somehow the BIOS on some of the newer motherboards were causing ATI cards to crash and other graphics problems. I applied the update and now memtest does not report any errors in my RAM either.

I do have a Gigabyte motherboard. I take it the 'update' was a bios flash? I usually tend to avoid those, but I suppose I could try it...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I was one of those fuddy-duddies that kept Classic Start Menu and Classic Color Scheme all the way through XP. But Win7 convinced me to try the new menu, and I like it better.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The thing I love best about the new Start Menu is how it incorporates the recent file lists into the most used programs list. Is there any way to make that work with programs not specifically programmed for Vista/7?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

For whoever suggested updating my gigabyte motherboard bios to fix some problem with ati card that was causing graphical corruption:

I did that and it did not fix my weird mouse cursor issue.

(Mouse cursor sometimes graphically corrupts when moving between monitors on a dual-screen setup. SFC says all files are good, no bad sectors, up to date video card drivers, all windows updates applied)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I just talked about this a page or two ago. Steam still requires the tray icon because when you click the "x" it closes to tray instead of task bar. That's retarded.

Skype is even worse. If try to close it with the X or a File,Quit, it minimizes to the tray, where you then have to right-click, quit to close it.

I have yet to find a way to one-step close it, short of killing it from the task manager.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, it was beta, not retail, but I imaged my dying WD drive onto a replacement drive and Windows never said anything.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Footboy posted:

Here's the skinny on that, from Microsoft.

You know, I keep seeing references to Aero Shake, but I can't seem to get my Windows 7 PC to actually do it. Was it removed for some reason, or did I disable it without realizing it?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Chemical Shift posted:

Try Windows+Home. It's the same thing as Aero Shake but actually usable outside of tablet PCs.

Yeah, that shortcut doesn't work for me either, which is why I was wondering if I'd disabled Shake somehow.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Can I disable grouping somehow?

It's not the most elegant solution ever, but could you make a copy of, and rename the exe of, Firefox?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Drox posted:

sticky notes

Speaking of...is there a way to close Sticky Notes without clearing them off? I mean, they must store the info somewhere, since you can reboot without losing your Notes, but hitting the X just erases the Note.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Echinacea posted:

Does anyone feel that Firefox is far slower in Windows 7? Images and pages just take longer and have several second pauses. IE8 however, is very fast in Windows 7 and loads everything instantly. I have vista on a dual boot and Firefox is clearly faster on Vista. I've went back to Vista for now just because I can't figure it out.

I haven't noticed a difference between Firefox on XP and Firefox on Win7. Obvious question, but are you sure you aren't just used to your old Firefox install using cached images and loading quicker as a result? If you just installed Win7, it hasn't had time to build up that cache yet.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Not sure what to make of this one...

I ran Windows update last night. No new updates.

This morning I installed Microsoft Silverlight, so that I use the Netflix instant-viewing thing. Suddenly, Windows Update has 10+ updates for Microsoft Office, all of which were released long ago.

Silverlight said it would use Windows Update to look for updates, but why that effect Office?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Good to know. Odd that that's not On by default.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wondering if it's just me: Moving files to or off the desktop doesn't make the window refresh, have to refresh manually.

(I know I shouldn't be storing files on my desktop. I'm talking about getting rid of shortcuts that annoying programs autoinstall)

In other words, I'll drag a shortcut on the desktop to the recycling bin, it will do it, but it'll still appear on the desktop. The icon is still interactable. But if you try to delete it again, it'll give you an error about the file not existing.

If you then manually refresh the desktop, the icon will disappear.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I need to figure out if I've got a memory leak or something. The longer I leave my system on, the slower response times get.

I've only had it on for 24 hours, and I can already see a difference in scrolling and typed-text-appearing in Firefox.

A reboot fixes it, but, man, I like just leaving my system on for months a time, like I did for XP. :(

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, I suppose it is just firefox. But you'd think just closing the program would be enough if that was the issue.

And this didn't happen to me in the Win7 beta.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

Sounds like you have a driver with a memory or resource leak. Look for either driver updates or Vista drivers.

Updated the 64bit ATI driver from 9-10 to 9-11 and now the problem doesn't occur. Odd that no one else was having issues, considering how many people are running ati cards these days.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Is there a good light-weight replacement for the Windows 7 Picture Viewer? Seems like it doesn't display images very cleanly.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hmm. A dvd I was able to play two days ago now will no longer player. All the various players (the open-source Media Player Classic, W7 WMP, etc) all say there's some problem with digital copy protection.

Considering the hardware hasn't changed, I haven't updated any drivers, and it's the same disc, I'm stumped.

Only changes to the computer in the last two days were:
- Installed a few games with Steam
- Reseated the ram

Did Windows Update offer anything in the last two days that would gently caress up my dvd playback?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

What would you all recommend for a somewhat tricked-out network backup program?

- I want to mirror a directory onto a network drive. Uncompressed, going to be used for hosting a plex server.
- Ideally, would have the ability to WakeOnLan or similar so I could have the network drive asleep most of the day and have a daily sync.
- Best case scenario would be to have it smart enough that if I rename a huge file, it would rename the mirrored file, rather than deleting it and then transferring the updated file, but this is probably idle wishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I realized right after I posted that 'windows software' probably meant software made by Microsoft, not all software that runs on Windows. My bad.

Anyway, that's overkill for my setup. I've already got two desktop PCs on the network. One is wired and old. One is wireless and fast. Currently I've got Plex on the wireless one, but for several reasons, it makes more sense to run it off the wired, monitorless, keyboardless one.

I could just transfer files to it directly as they arrive, but I'd rather have them on both PCs for safekeeping. Hence it would seem the easy way to do this is manage them from the wireless one and then mirror them to the wired one.

I'll go ask the storage thread. Thanks!