Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

url posted:

I would totally love to spring for a subscription, but the UK pricing is whack.
A new subscription for Plus is 402GBP = 664USD
The basic version is 234GBP = 386

:(

If keys aren't region locked, get a friend on the atlantic side to buy you a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

To address the artificial limitation argument: 640k aught to be enough for everyone. Remember that?

Just because the consumer can't currently utilize a feature, doesn't necessarily mean that it's useless. Limiting users to 16GB of ram in 2009 would have been like Microsoft coding in a 1GB limitation in 2000. "Why, Windows XP Home users often operate just fine on 256MB of memory. I can't see them spending that much on extra memory. Trying to use that much for them is simply a waste of time!"

While we're up on the limitation boat, why not throw in an arbitrary disk space limitation too. Why, I bet right now that single users will never have 16TB hard drives.

Incidentally, I take it that the prices quoted far earlier in the thread ($300 for 7 Pro? Hah.) are for the retail images. If that's the case, then OEM ones may even be affordable.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

fishmech posted:

Yeah, it updates just fine!

Well then. It's time for 1-6.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

c0burn posted:

You can if you edit cversion.ini

Using the same method as Beta2->RC I'd assume. I really shouldn't update to it, though. It's already taken one "Update" install (Vista x64->7 x64). I could re-image back to vista and copy out the data I need, or I can just pave over, and extract my existing data from the image. Hm.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

So incidentally, with me living in Canada and all, what are my options to inexpensively upgrade to 7 Pro/Ult?

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

I've just updated to RTM (Ultimate, I was lazy about changing ei, and there's a what, $30 difference anyway?).

Considering I've just come from the RC it's fast. As in, "oh, you're done... already? But I just clicked on that..." fast.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

This. It's statistically impossible to mess with the content of the ISO in such a way that you can introduce malware and end up with a matching hash. In fact, changing just one bit on the ISO will drastically change the hash result. If the hashes match, you're good to go.

Well to be fair, if it's theoretically possible to falisify an MD5 hash, then it should be doable for a SHA1 as well. Does anyone have a supercomputer I can use for a decade?

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

frabba posted:

Trip report 1: Even though I'm running the Windows 7 RCx64, and I am trying to update to Windows 7 Ultimate RTM, The installer is not letting me proceed. welp.

*edit* Heh, could've sworn that I read somewhere that this should've been possible, but just re-read the updated OP. At least I can do the in-place upgrade on my vista machine :unsmith:

Just do a clean install. Your user profile and program files folders get dumped to a new location so you can pick at them as needed.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Casao posted:

Uh, no, they're actual retail copies. As in, you have 30 days to put in a retail key before it goes into low function mode, and then a bit after that before it just stops working.

Unless you want to re-arm it three times, or do an OEM style activation.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

I did a clean install too, using Daemon, and installed it after using the latest lite off the site. I didn't have to install SPTD manually or anything (RTM)

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

not a hacked/patched/modified dirty copy from some warez site.
Uh Xeno, quite a LOT of the Microsoft stuff can be "appropriated" using straight from the horse images right now. This sort of makes "data purity" arguments moot.

I think a better standpoint to gauge it from is supporting Microsoft Vs being a freeloader.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Half the reason most people who hated Vista and DID try it was because anything new or different in the computing world, in Windows especially, is greeted with hatred and scorn. See also the complete and utter shitfits everyone I know had over the Ribbon interface in Office 2007.

:confused: What's the problem? The organization makes a lot more sense than a bunch of random dinky unintuitive buttons
:cry: BAWWWW I KNEW WHERE EVERYTHING WAS IN 2003, THIS loving SUCKS
:confused: But...it makes sense. It's like a drawer full of neatly labelled files to 97-03's shoebox full of junk
:cry: I FEAR CHANGE, AND I SHALL KEEP MY SHOEBOX

I liked Vista alot, to the point where I didn't even complain about buying it for a ridiculous sum, but Win7 really does slap the poo poo out of it for me.

Yeah, I remember thinking exactly that when I went to office 07. When I wanted to find something, I went to where I thought it would be. and 90% of the time, there it was.

Incidentally though, while Vista did try to be new... it had a hard time with no leg to stand on. Myriad vendors didn't support it properly from the tin, quite a few systems that it'd run on were underpowered, and the new audio interface hosed up a lot of things; but I mean all of these changes carry into 7, the leaner, faster vista.

But just wait until they try to deploy it in the workplace. If somebody forgets to select "classic" for the skin, it's going to be amazing when Pamela in accounting or Roger in sales throws a poo poo FIT because the buttons he used back in 1995 have moved around.

Christ, at least computer users were fewer back in the days of windows 3.1 -> 95. It would have been a migration nightmare.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Now that I've (finally) upgraded my work D830 to 4GB ram, I think it's time to load 7 x64. Is there anything I should know or watch out for?

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Drox posted:

I hate to break up copyright chat, but I'm a bit confused on a point of home networking with 7 and older computers. I have a computer running XP that has all my files that I want to keep. How do I just open up a folder on the win7 machine that the network can see so I can just dump everything in there? Homegroup doesn't seem to be what I want, since that's for 7 only... right?

I can't believe these petty plebians didn't help you with this issue.

Pick a directory where you want your files to go. Desktop probably isn't a good idea.

Make yourself a new directory there, right click it, and select Share With... Specific people.

Add Everyone under permissions, and give them full access.

Go into your network and sharing center, click on Choose Homegroup and Sharing options, click on advanced sharing settings, click on home or work, then scroll down to turn on file and printer sharing, and turn off password protected sharing. Apply all this close it and whatnot. Then, get your 7 system's IP, and feed it into an explorer window on your XP machine, in the form of \\YOU.RIP.IST.HIS (I'm sure you can figure that out). The shared folder should pop up, then just dump away.

As to the discussion in the thread - per the DCMA, acquiring licenced software through an unapproved method may be illegal, but for the most part I don't think anyone really cares.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Trip Report: Windows 7 on a D830.

It's been pretty good for the few days that I've used it, honestly. It's not as fast as I would have liked, but that's what you get on a 2GHz CPU, 4GB DDR2-667 @ CAS5, a 120GB 5400RPM drive, and using far more powerful rigs with it before. I'm really digging it though; things are pretty fast. The only issue I was having was that the laptop was overheating REALLY easily - I'm assuming the quadro card in here wasn't intended for constant use. Due to this, there was some thermal throttling, meaning that the CPU would scale back to 550-600 MHz sometimes. This is bad. I've used RMClock to force it to stay at full tilt, and the effects are to be seen.

I don't really care. I back up my data bi-daily, and have a year and a half of warranty left.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

scarymonkey posted:

I have Windows 7 x64 on the D630 installed since availability on MSDN. The D630 is pretty much the D830 with a smaller display (14.1" instead of 15.4"). My system is a little more supped up, 2.2ghz CPU, 8GB of RAM, and 160GB G2 SSD and a 500gb 7200.4 Segate in the optical drive bay. My system doesn't overheat, and I've set the Windows 7 power mode settings set to high performance so my CPU doesn't throttle. With the SSD the system is a pretty much a speed demon.

A little bit stepped up? Dude, what you spent on the storage array in that is more than these laptops go for on ebay.... with 1900x1200 screens and 2.4GHz CPUs and 4GB of ram... oh god it's devalued so.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

scarymonkey posted:

Talking to the wrong person, got this laptop for free from a client about a year or so ago. I spent my own money on the RAM, storage upgrades, and don't regret one bit.

Laptop CPU tech has been mostly stagnant until recently with the release of the quad core i7 mobile processors.

Lucky motherfucker. Granted, you probably spent more upgrading it then I did buying mine; and, despite this being the best way to smack the wasps' nest which is SHSC, is there really a point to mobile I7 at the moment? It's much higher in cost for some decent power management, four cores with two threads, and I'm guessing only two channels of memory...

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm running almost identically spec'd (2.4GHz, rather than 2.0, and my 120GB drive is 7200, rather than 5400) D830. I run all day at full blast (It's my primary workstation at work) without the fan ever running on full. This is also with at least 2 apps running under XPM at all times.

So, as I had the CPU at redline and was loading it earlier, rightmark was throwing a loving fit about temps being at 90+ C. Time to re-apply thermal grease.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, definitely something not right there. I rarely ever hit the redline of utilization unless I'm doing flash streaming (outbound) or something similar.

I decided to give my laptop a physical. Opened it up, cleaned off the CPU and GPU, and cleaned out the heatsink's fins. There was dust solid the way through, and the thermal pads looked pretty dry. Current operating temps have dropped 30c.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Super Dude posted:

You can't upgrade between 32 bit and 64 bit.

You can do a clean install, AND the keys are interchangeable. As it's been said 90 times in this thread, a "clean install" takes all your old data and poo poo, and dumps it into a folder called windows.old. None of your apps, settings, etc are transferred automatically, but they're RIGHT THERE in the folder if you need them.

As to drivers - windows update will provide you with the latest WHQL Certified drivers. In some cases, that means the driver that was released with your lovely SATA Card / Webcam / USB vibrator in 2004, when it was first released. While this works correctly in most cases, it's not like updating to the latest drivers that the manufacturer can give you will cause problems - just remember that windows update will nag you to roll back to WHQL drivers.

Overall, it's a very organic experience. When I first installed on my D830, some poo poo really didn't work out of the box - namely the biometric pad and the smart card reader. But then it got net access and bang. It all worked.

Satire Forum Mom posted:

i want to change, all at once, the extension of my m4v files to mp4, so windows 7 can thumbnail them. how do i go about doing this?

If they're all in one folder, use Infranview's batch function. That's how I clean up entire dumps of TV serieses. Just make sure that windows is set to show the extensions of known file types, or it may not work. It does function well. For example, a show usually comes in as

s01e09.faggypants queef party.dvdrip.ac3.groupname.avi

I tell infranview to take the string s01e and replace it with 1. Then, I tell it to take the string .dvdrip.ac3.groupname and replace it with nothing. Finally, I tell it to replace any . it sees with " - " . After a brief period, I have a folder full of these;

109 - faggypants queef party.avi

Now you go and do that with 130 episodes, by hand, and tell me you stay sane.

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 6, 2009

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Twiin posted:

Sounds like someone's never seen a TV renamer application:

Welp, you just made my life easier.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

/\ Yes, keys are interchangable

I feel this is an appropriate thread to ask this in - how do I edit the entries on the left? Of the features I DON'T use in Windows 7, Libraries is right up there. I'd love to replace it with my downloads folder..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey, quick question - is there a way I can view and edit all network shares on my PC at once?

I recently migrated my media server from 5 shares down to two (consolidated my data drives really), and now when viewed on the network, it still shows three of the old ones. But with nothing mapped to that drive letter, the I can't figure out a way to edit the shares.

Any ideas? Also, while we're here, how do I commander a homegroup? When I was living at my ex's parents place, her mom created a homegroup on the network, and since then, it follows all my systems around like herpes.

\/ Oh motherfucker, I've spent about 6 hours in Computer Management in the last few days too.

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 25, 2010