Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I figure this is probably the best place to ask if anyone can help me decipher this horribly written product page.

A friend of mine who isn't super computer savvy is looking to build a gaming PC; my friends and I have helped him pick out all the parts and everything, and the last step is to get a copy of Windows. He's a college student, so he should be eligible for that student offer, but we can't figure out what they're actually selling there. The only version of Windows that he currently owns is an OEM copy of Vista on his lovely laptop, so he can't take advantage of any "upgrade" offers.

That should be no problem, since the picture there clearly says "Full version" on it, right? But then the description says "Important: Windows 8.1 Pro full version is for Windows 7 users only. Currently running Windows Vista or XP? First upgrade to Windows 8 Pro Upgrade – Student Offer. Upon installation you can update to 8.1 for free.", which links to... an upgrade version... which would be distinct from a full version... like the one they're supposedly selling on the original page.

If he were to buy that, would he be able to install it on a fresh hard drive without a previous version of Windows? Hell, is whatever you're downloading from this offer even capable of making an ISO or USB installer as opposed to installing purely from the hard drive with a previous version of Windows? I have no idea and the product page offers no clues.

My friend tried calling the support number on the page, but they were of course unhelpful, trying to upsell him on something called "Windows 8 System Builder" without actually answering any of his questions.

Can anyone shine any light on this?

Lork fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Read posted:

Is it possible his college offers DreamSpark? Because if it does he can just straight up download Windows from there.
Yeah I discovered that earlier today while searching for information and left him a message about it. I don't remember the name of his school so I can't check myself, so I'll have to wait for him to get back to me on that.

With any luck he can just do that, but if not, hopefully someone can explain this student offer thing.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Does anybody know of a good program to monitor bandwidth use on a local network? Something that can tell me how much bandwidth is being used by which computer, for how long, and if possible, for what purpose.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

37th Chamber posted:

You best bet is probably flashing a router with dd-wrt/Tomato
I was afraid you'd say that. Every time I buy a router it always seems to end up being some weird hardware revision that isn't supported by custom firmware even though every other model with the same name is. Guess I'll have to check if they've added support for my router since the last time I looked.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Nintendo Kid posted:

Frankly the whole lawsuit about browser competition was silly since Netscape was dying anyway due to wanting actual money for a browser that they didn't bother keeping updated; and other at the time paid browsers like Opera weren't really capable of matching feature sets yet.
Purely out of interest, did Microsoft actually do anything to deserve accusations of anti-competitive tactics there, or was that just a case of Netscape being salty because nobody wants to pay for a browser? It certainly doesn't seem like Microsoft had any reason to give poo poo, considering that they've never charged for IE.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Thanks guys. I knew it had to be more complex than it looks like from the outside, as these things always are. It just looks really black and white if you don't know the details.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Does anybody know of a good modern download manager? Like the ones everybody had to use back in the dark days of dial-up. There's a file I'm trying to download that seems to be hosted on an extremely slow and unreliable server. I need something that can resume in the case of a dropped connection rather than going :downs: "20 of 800mb completed and the connection closed? Pack it up boys, we're done!" like Chrome does.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Will do, thanks.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Ynglaur posted:

That worked! Thank you!
You can get rid of the whole thing by unchecking View -> Single Window View and then closing the "homepage" part.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
The instant that Windows 10 finished installing Microsoft sent me an email saying that I've reached the device limit for installing stuff from the Windows Store. When I checked the account there was just the one computer with Windows 10, so uh, what's going on?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Rexxed posted:

Stuff's broken on the first day of release, I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually. While Windows 10 is working fine on a couple of my computers I'm following the standard advice of waiting a month or two for them to iron out some of the big issues before I put it on anything important.
Yeah I know things are going to go wrong, I'm just wondering if people know anything about this specific issue.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
That's definitely not how they're supposed to look. I remember Jeff Gerstmann talking about how some versions of the Windows 10 preview were loving up his fonts in Chrome on a podcast, so maybe that has something to do with it? However, I'm using Chrome with the released Windows 10 right now and my fonts are very much unfucked.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
The extension I was using to zoom in on images in Chrome was killed by a recent update and it's a god drat tragedy. Does anybody know if there's still an extension out there that can easily increase/decrease the size of an image inline that just happens to be so poorly named that I haven't been able to find it in my desperate searches?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
From what I can tell all that does is display an image at its full resolution if you mouse over a thumbnail of it. What I'm looking for is a way to increase the size of images that are small in the first place. You can sort of do this in most browsers by default by zooming in the whole page, but then you have to go to the trouble of un-zooming back to normal every single time you do it.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
That looks like it's another thumbnail -> full image shortcut, but searching for it brought me to Viewhance, which does what I want, but only when viewing images by themselves and not inline. Better than nothing, I suppose.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
The thing that confuses me is that if all it takes to run an OS on a machine with Secure Boot turned on is for the OS to not have certain authentication keys, what's to stop the "nefarious" entities that Secure Boot is supposedly protecting against from doing exactly that? That doesn't seem very uh, secure... to me.

Lork fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 26, 2016

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I don't know if this is the right place for this so apologies if not, but I have a really weird problem. At some point a few months ago, Youtube's "resume from where you left off" feature stopped working for me. Normally when you're watching a video and you close the tab or navigate away, it's supposed to save your position and then automatically jump back to it if you view the video again. I know they didn't just remove the feature for no reason because it still works for a friend of mine.

For a long time I assumed it was just a problem with Chrome, or handled by one of the 8000 scripts I haven't allowed with uMatrix. However, I just tested it in Firefox and Edge and it still doesn't work. What the heck is going on and how can I get my saved video positions back?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Ynglaur posted:

Do you have cookies disabled for those sites? I'm guessing blindly.
Nope. I also don't have anything in the way of extensions installed for Edge or Firefox.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Jago posted:

Use a smart phone? Not trying to be a smart rear end here.
If that's not an option (say, if you want the audio for both the game and the podcast to come out of the same headphones) you could try the web player version of something like Pocket Casts. I have no idea if that would leave more or less of footprint than your current solution but it would certainly be more convenient.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Khablam posted:

It's slower than every alternative; 'it works fine' isn't the problem people are trying to solve.

Just use edge.
It's... Not... though? What kind of ancient rear end computer are you running that doesn't open pdf files with Acrobot nigh instantaneously?

There was a time when Acrobat was horrendous, which is why all the alternatives got popular, but every one I tried had limitations and most were buggy as hell. Eventually I just gave up and went back to Acrobat, but found that they had cleaned up their act in the meantime. There's no reason to bother with alternatives unless you happen to have an existing relationship with one that you really like for some reason.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Factor Mystic posted:

Get Process Explorer and turn on whatever Network IO columns you want.
I don't see any columns for network I/O in Process Explorer.

Edit: Looks like you have to run it as administrator before the option will show up.

Lork fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 4, 2016

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
What are some things I can try to deal with a bad update for Windows 10? The tablet I have to use for work got stuck on an update for Office that it spends an obnoxious amount of time trying to install, failing, and then undoing every time I turn it on or off. After wasting hours of my time over multiple days trying cookie cutter non solutions, tech support said they couldn't fix the problem unless I mail it to them, which I'm not going to do.

In previous versions of Windows you could hide an update if it was giving you trouble, but I don't know what can be done in 10.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

mindphlux posted:

this is cookiecutter but

run cmd as admin
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
sfc /scannow

then run update troubleshooter https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

reboot, retry updating

if it doesn't help, check your event logs for specific errors w/rt updates and google that poo poo.
sfc said it found issues but couldn't fix them. It made a log but it's gigantic so I wouldn't know where to look, especially with those atrocious touch controls. The update troubleshooter said it fixed 2 issues, but the problem persists. Checking the event log got me to the error "0x80070663" and googling that gave me the suggestion to run the Office installer in repair mode, which didn't work and this Fix It assistant which is apparently "discontinued". The other suggestion I saw was to completely uninstall and reinstall Office, which doesn't really seem like a feasible option. Oh well.

Lork fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 9, 2017

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

mindphlux posted:

did you

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt" ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833
Just tried that and it gave me an empty file.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
"My Documents" or "Documents" as they call it now is an unusable folder that should probably just be marked as hidden by default at this point. Make a new folder somewhere to store your actual documents and add it to your libraries.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Supposedly one of the things Microsoft was going to add in the 'Fall Creators Update' for Windows 10 was the ability to copy something on your desktop and paste it using Swiftkey on your phone. Well, I've installed the update but I can't seem to access this feature. What happened to it? The only information I can find on it are articles talking about the announcement.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Gromit posted:

I've got uBlock Origin installed on Firefox. Does anyone know if it is easy to block a particular in-line javascript from running? That is, the page doesn't call an external file but has that script within the html. I thought it would be as easy as adding something like "webpage.com##script:contains(keyword)" in the "My Filters" dashboard page of uBO but that seems to have no effect.

Should it be as easy as that and I'm loving something up?
Does it have to be as precise as that one script, or would it be OK to block all inline scripts on that site? Because if it is, that's very easy to do with uBlock's dynamic filtering feature.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I've got a Windows license conundrum for you all:

A friend of mine has a copy of 8.1 that he upgraded to 10, but ended up rolling back because hated it. Since then he's run into some hardware trouble and replaced his motherboard and CPU. In light of the aggressive tactics Microsoft is taking to force people to upgrade, he's now resigned to his fate and is planning on switching to 10. But the question is, what's the status of his license? After the rollback it told him that he was free to go back to 10 at any time, but with a new motherboard and CPU, his computer is presumably a "different one" now, so does that still apply? Complicating matters is the fact that rolling back screwed up a bunch of miscellaneous things (several scheduled tasks, like clock synchronization stopped working for example), so he'd very much prefer to do a clean install if possible. Is there a way to non destructively test if the license will work on his computer?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Rexxed posted:

If his windows 8 install is activated (check the system control panel), he can re-upgrade it to windows 10. His new hardware is probably not licensed for Windows 10 without doing that. If it were me, I'd probably do the 8 to 10 upgrade, then if issues with the OS persist, do a windows 10 reset to clean it up. Failing that, after the upgrade, wipe the disk and install 10 fresh (the reset should essentially be the same as this so it's likely to be unnecessary).
Thanks. Do you know where he needs to go to start the upgrade process?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Does anybody know how to get Application Guard to work? I've installed it as per these instructions and restarted my computer, but the "New Application Guard Window" option doesn't show up in Edge. I have Win 10 Pro 1803 and virtualization is enabled.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
You could try opening them with the Windows photo viewer. It's actually capable of playing (and even editing) video for some reason.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I'm about to upgrade my CPU, motherboard and RAM. What's going to happen to my Windows 10 license?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

OEM or retail?

It shouldn't matter, but good luck either way. You might have to call MSFT after the installation and read them a bunch of digits, and you'll get a new activation.
It was upgraded from a Windows 7 key I got so long ago I don't remember where it's from; almost surely OEM though. I don't think I have a key to read to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I finished the upgrade and tried to activate, but it it just keeps saying the activation servers are unavailable.

Even if I could get through, according to this I'm hosed anyway:

quote:

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

Edit: I managed to get it activated via phone support.

Lork fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 18, 2019