Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aircraft
Nov 2, 2007

I just bought the student discount version, but I'm having trouble extracting the installation files. I've downloaded it four times already using the Digital River download manager (DLMWin7HP64US.exe), ending up with a total of 3 files (setup1.box, setup2.box, and Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x64.exe). I run the executable, but in the middle of "preparing setup1.box", it pops up with an "unspecified error." I've tried everything, running as admin, clearing read-only, setting permissions etc. but to no avail. I'm running Vista X64 HP and I'm trying to upgrade to Win7 X64 HP.

Google reveals that its a common issue, but mostly for people attempting to upgrade from X32 to X64. Microsoft suggests that its a corrupted download, but then again I've downloaded it four times already. Oh by the way did I mention that the download isn't an .iso, but rather a two ".box" files with an executable just to unzip them?? and when you try to unzip it it goes "unpacking the box" its kinda cute!! I've followed online directions to create a bootable usb drive, but the boot image is missing some files, which isn't surprising since the thing wouldnt extract in the first place. Thankfully I ordered a backup DVDR disk, but its gonna take a while to arrive.

Anyways, has anyone else had this problem, and managed to solve this without creating my own DVDR or using torrents? I've just used my last spare DVDRs as coasters, and I know someones gonna suggest downloading that poo poo but I just wanna say that I'm well aware of that already, please don't tell me i have to pirate a program that i paid moeny for because the publishers wont provide a usable file format ughf;ldadsfdflgjfd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aircraft
Nov 2, 2007

Thanks, downloaded the .iso, extracted it, and performed an install off desktop.