Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So what're people using to torrent these days? My goto was uTorrent is it still generally a good bet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'll give it a shot, the ads on uTorrent were getting really annoying.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I have Windows 8 disc but no drive anymore (used to use an external) to format and install the OS so I'd like to format via USB, is there anyway I can download an .iso from Microsoft using my product key or something? Seems like the only way to get an .iso is through the Microsoft Store when you buy a copy but I'd rather not shell out the money yet again just to make this bootable USB.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Media Creation Tool 404s on my end.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I built a new rig since it was time and used the product key from my old build for my Windows install and the "Reserve Windows 10" icon isn't popping up. I know Windows ties itself to the mobo now so I'm assuming Windows might be having a tiff with authenticating the product but it hasn't given me any bullshit about the key being in use or not Genuine or whatever the message would be. Any suggestions?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I have all of the updates available thus far, even the optional ones and nothing. I bought my copy of Windows around 2+ years ago, but definitely not 5. I guess the easiest way would be to just call them, so I'll do that tomorrow.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Goober Peas posted:

Win 10 is rolling out and no one is posting

:colbert:

Neither my tablet or work computer have the update available yet, I guess it's rolling out in chunks or something?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GreenNight posted:

A goon should probably just start a torrent with Windows 10 Pro x64.iso

You can made an .iso or bootable USB for 10 here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Slash posted:

I use rainmeter with this skin: http://win10widgets.com/

Can Rainmeter not monitor GPUs? I never see anyone integrate GPU temps and such into their skins.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I got a new NVMe drive for my laptop and I want to clone the old drive's data to the new drive, but I don't have another NVMe drive or adapter to plug the new drive into and just do it from the system and swap the drives. What would be the easiest way of getting my old data onto my new drive without plugging them both in? Create and image of the old drive?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes. That's the same thing as cloning, but with an intermediate dumping of the data into a file.

What software would you recommend to do this easily? I've only ever used Samsung's software that does drive-to-drive and comes with their SSDs.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Flipperwaldt posted:

Macrium Reflect came up a lot in the SSD thread. For cloning, but I've used it for disk images as well.

Awesome, thanks!

Good lord, $70.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I was out of the country when 1809 rolled out and got back after MS stopped releasing the updates because of the file deletion bug; I heard they have fixed it since but I still don't have 1809 on my machine. Is something up?

I only ask because I heard it has a dark mode for File Explorer (finally) and I'd wanted that for a cold minute.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'll just wait if that's the case, I'm too drat lazy to go find the image and deal with that. Thanks guys.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I recently gutted the m.2 SSD out of one laptop to put into another since this new one had 2 slots, so 1.5TB of NVMe storage altogether! However, I just realized I didn't format it since the drive I had has documents I'm too lazy to back up, so I have a bunch of space on that drive wasted in Windows/Users/Installed Programs. But of course I can't delete any of it because I need permissions from "SYSTEM" and no loving around I've done with permissions and ownership is allowing me to delete it. Is there a quick fix around all this or should I just bite the bullet, back-up and format?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Toast Museum posted:

Got a flash drive handy? Ubuntu don't give a gently caress about Windows permissions.

I do, but my experience with Linux is incredibly minimal (basically nonexistant) so it's it relatively easy to do without learning a whole new OS?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lambert posted:

It's very easy. Download Ubuntu 18.10, use Pendrive USB Linux installer for creating a bootable USB drive if you don't know how to do it manually and boot Ubuntu. Then you can simply open Nautilus (the Explorer equivalent) and delete the files, just like you would on Windows.

Sounds simple enough, I'll give it a go! Thanks!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

codo27 posted:

You don't need Linux. Right click the folder with the stuff you want, go to security tab, advanced, and add yourself to the list (select a principle, look up your account name). It will give you a bunch of messages when you click ok but just ok through all those too and you'll have access. Right click start, disk management and format as needed!

I got this message:

quote:

An error occurred while applying security information to:

E:\Windows.old\Program Files

Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

Still can't delete.

Also, I tried Ubuntu and wasn't able to delete these folders because I lacked permissions.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Went through all this twice and I'm still getting the same errors, at this point I'm just going to back things up and format.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm trying to do this on the whole drive, maybe that's my problem? I just thought I'd do the whole drive and then sort out the poo poo I don't need. It was a boot drive for another laptop so it has Windows, User Files, Programs on it that I don't need on there. The drive is now being used as mass storage for Steam, OneDrive and my ROM collection, so nearly all folders on there can just get wiped but that's what I'm having trouble doing, even following those steps I keep getting errors.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I did it individually on all directories that I wanted deleted and it worked, mostly. "Windows.old" are being stubborn and some of the stuff in there won't delete because "This is no longer located in E:\. Verify the item's location and try again." I guess something extra messed up is going on with this folder, but the rest is gone and now I have 200+GB free on this drive! The Windows.old folder is only 1.7GB and I'm more concerned of the cleanliness of the drive rather than the space it's taking up. As dumb as that sounds.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

redeyes posted:

Try and run a chkdsk /f on that drive. I've seen that work to fix that problem.

Didn't work, but no worries, this is good enough for now. Thanks to everyone that helped me out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I keep getting this stupid notifications about the "Xbox Rewards App is Now Available" and it doesn't show up in the Notification area. It happens once every couple days and is really drat annoying since I don't even own an Xbox. I also have notifications off and have no clue what would even be sending this. Any ideas?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Klyith posted:

Do you sign in to windows with a microsoft account? Seems like it might be being pushed from that.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027592/microsoft-account-how-to-opt-out-of-microsoft-rewards

Otherwise, have you disabled all the advertisement stuff in windows 10?

drat there's a lot of settings I need to uncheck, thanks for that. Sadly if it's because of Microsoft Rewards I'm always cashing in on those Amazon Gift Cards. If it's due to that I guess I'm stuck seeing it every now and then. Thanks though for the rest of the ad stuff!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I somehow don't have the ability to create a New Folder by right clicking on the Desktop or in a Folder. What the hell?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ptarmigans posted:

This is generally caused by something having messed with your registry. You can check if this is the case by opening regedit and checking the value for Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New\(Default), if it doesn't have the value '{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}' (curly braces included, quote marks not), then change it to that and then either restart explorer or log off and then log back on.

My value was the same, but I modified it, copied and pasted it over and restarted and I still don't have the option. No idea, the last thing I installed when this happened was 7zip. Dunno why it would have removed the option but I did notice I have the 7Zip options on my right click menu so I guess it screwed something up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I recently just got a BenQ 1080p gaming projector and it and my laptop are doing the HDCP handshake for some reason, I don't know if it's a problem with the laptop or the projector but now I can't stream anything on the projector in HD on Amazon (where my whole digital library lives). I've read articles about getting a certain HDMI splitter to spoof the handshake and be done with it but is there anyway I can do this in software? I really don't want more physical clutter on/around my desk.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is there any reason why my computer's time is an hour behind? My settings are all automatic and it looks like Windows is pinpointing my location just fine but the time is always back an hour and I have no clue why. The weird part is that Discord's time-stamps are correct but not the time in Windows itself.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I didn't even think of that. I just checked and "Set time automatically for daylight savings" was off, but I couldn't turn it on. I have to turn off "Set Time Zone Automatically" in order to turn the other option on then turn the time zone setting back to on, which then greys out the daylight savings option again but keeps the setting on. Nicely done Windows.

You'd think having your time settings to "Automatic" would include daylight savings. Thank you though!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's the easiest way to duplicate the sound output on my computer? I have 2 USB devices (headset and audio interface) and I always have to switch between the two in Window's audio settings depending on what I'm doing and it's annoying, I would rather have the sound come out of both and all would have to do is put on my headset and turn down the volume on the DAW and be done with it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Klyith posted:

You can do this with Virtual Audio Cable or VoiceMeeter. VAC is paid software, voicemeeter is free but a heavier app that you'll have to run every time.

But a better way is probably to just make a shortcut to switch outputs faster. There are a couple of ways to do that, my go-to is a neat little utility called nircmd that can do all sorts of things. For me I could have these two shortcuts:
nircmd.eve setdefaultsounddevice "Asus Xonar Audio" 0
nircmd.eve setdefaultsounddevice "Nvidia HDMI" 0
to switch between the two on my PC. What you put in the quotes is just the device name as it appears in the sound control panel.

(One of my thumbs-up things about win10 is how they made this a two-click option on the volume tray icon.)

Hipster_Doofus posted:

VB Cable is perfect for such a simple set-it-and-forget-it thing.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try them out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Uthor posted:

This solved the issue with my desktop where one of the fans would rattle on startup and I had to hit it to make it stop.

The Fonz of IT.

Also big lol at people still running Windows 7 and 8.