Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
For what it's worth, the Digital River ISOs are just regular Home Premium or Pro disks - they aren't any sort of special student OEM-esque versions or anything. The MD5 hashes match and everything. I couldn't install the ISOs (bizarrely, every time I tried to grab the 64-bit version my entire router would go down), but if you can borrow a disk from someone (even if it's a different version, because you can use the delete cfg trick to make versions selectable) you can install it just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

I would use the 64-bit version anyway and throw in more RAM later if you feel like it. I'm running x64 on my 2GB system just so I don't have to reinstall everything if I do pick up another 2GB.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

Flyboy925 posted:

Thanks Evil Fluffy, and that's awesome NJ Deac.

You can also toggle MediaBootInstall in the registry, slmgr -rearm, restart, and then the normal activator will take your key without having to install Windows again.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm going to be installing 7 shortly, and have a choice of three drives to install to, a 150GB IDE drive, a 500GB IDE and a new, 1TB drive. I expect it will be best to install to one of the IDE drives, but will performance be better on the smaller drive? Is there an advantage to creating a boot partition on one of them?

Install it to the 1TB drive unless it is a "green" (low-rpm) drive. If you install it to a older HDD, performance may suffer. There's really no reason to install your entire operating system, something that will see more HDD activity than anything, onto some old IDE drive, unless you're some sort of speed masochist.

Do what Loosechanj said, just dump it on the 1TB drive, keep it one partition, use your other HDDs as bulk storage.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

Then the Caviar Blue is what you should install the OS on, since it's the fastest of the bunch. "Smaller size" doesn't mean anything, the fastest hard drives are 500GB and 1GB, the only thing you do by installing an OS on a smaller drive is artificially limit your space.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

TheUnforgiven posted:

I have a Windows 7 Pro Upgrade key from my school from the Ultimate Steal deal thing they have going on and my Windows 7 RC is expiring tomorrow. If I had a regular disc for Windows 7 Pro, that was the full install disc and used my code from the upgrade would everything still work fine?
I dont know if I still have my old XP CD and Code around here somewhere and really dont feel like going that route to reinstall.

You will need to use a registry hack to convert your existing installation (RC Ultimate) to Pro (don't have the correct link, but I'm pretty sure this is the same thing, just for Enterprise), then upgrade from the RC using the cversion.ini trick. You do not need an XP CD or code to upgrade.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

Hung Yuri posted:

power supply program
I have to bite. What the hell?

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

You don't need anything in order to upgrade. As long as you have a valid XP license, you can install it as a clean install on any system without breaking the EULA, and there is no key requirement besides the upgrade copy's key. Check this out for more info. I did this with my netbook and my desktop during the $30 deal (because you can't "upgrade" from XP anyway, nor from 32-bit to 64-bit, and the latter got a new HDD) successfully, and one of them simply activated during setup using the Upgrade key.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

Win7 Pro upgrade $30

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

Nevets posted:

When you boot into Windows the first time it tells you you've got 30 or 60 days or whatever to enter the key and activate it. Instead of putting in the key, start the installer on the cd again while inside Windows (even though it's basically an unlicensed version) and do a clean install (wiping out the temporary install you just did), this time entering your key. Apparently Microsoft is aware of this method and has no problems with it.
You can also just change MediaBootInstall to 0 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE, slmgr -rearm, then reboot and activate Windows as normal with your key.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

Either reinstall it again on top of the existing clean install (officially Microsoft-supported but long-rear end way) or make sure you have all updates installed, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/, change MediaBootInstall to 0, then slmgr /rearm in a elevated command prompt, reboot and enter your key at the activation screen as normal.

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 6, 2010

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

If you're reformatting and losing everything anyway why go back to a nine year old OS? There's pretty much no reason for people with systems manufactured this side of the decade to bother with XP anymore.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

I'd like to slow down my computer so that I can run an old PC game which would otherwise run too fast to be playable.
Cheat Engine has a "speedhack" that slows down individual processes.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

I absolutely love 7 after coming from XP because I am not a huge baby that can't click Yes on occasional UAC prompts and enjoy being able to navigate non-Documents user directories without having to pop into Documents and Settings every thirty seconds. However, I've always wondered why my desktop has never done the whole Start Menu search thing very well since people tend to tout it as a major feature of how you navigate the menu. On my system, it takes about 8-10 seconds just to find Notepad if I hit N, whereas I could find it in half the time just clicking around in All Programs. I have a fast HDD (Spinpoint F3), it's defragged and I haven't turned off Indexing. It seems to take about 3 seconds on my 5200RPM netbook drive, but it has less programs installed so maybe that's it? I don't know.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

They got closed/gassed because they were MSDN licenses, iirc, and you can't sell keys in SA-Mart anyway. It is against the EULA to share family packs with people not in your "household":

quote:

b. Family Pack. If you are a “Qualified Family Pack User”, you may install one copy of the software marked as “Family Pack” on three computers in your household for use by people who reside there.

...and the same key is used for all three installations.

The "upgrade" actually being an upgrade even on a clean install isn't a grey area at all. It's intended that if you have a copy of Windows 2000 and later that you are eligible for an upgrade, regardless of whether it's actually installed on the system. The double-install method is even the way Microsoft advises you to do it on a clean drive, although changing the MediaBootInstall value in the registry is far quicker.

Since you can still get a legitimate Professional upgrade for $65, that's the way to go if you have an .edu email address. In any case, it is definitely worth it even at full price, especially because XP is an outdated piece of poo poo. Pro is also great because only systems with Professional can be Remote Desktop-ed into (although anything can initiate a connection). I installed Pro on both my netbook and desktop when the $35 deal was going on and use Remote Desktop almost daily. I just wish they had offered Ultimate for a little more for the multi-language support but otherwise it's pretty much useless.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

Do you mean this? Alternatively you can just download the ISO from Digital River directly.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

Also you don't even have to install it twice, you can just change a single registry key.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

kiph posted:

I always thought ATi was the one with the poo poo drivers.
All video drivers are poo poo.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

It's not a crapshoot at all and you don't need anything but a blank hard drive, installation media, and your upgrade key. Simply entering the upgrade key works half the time, otherwise just do the registry hack or double-install method. Just make sure you enter your key after setup rather than trying during setup, and if you're using a different version of 7 as your installation media delete ei.cfg to get the version selection menu then reburn the ISO or put it on a bootable flash drive.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

I did a Win7 reinstallation a couple weeks ago and pointed it to the same partition and it just threw everything in Windows.old anyway, so it doesn't seem that useful there either.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

I think one of the biggest reasons I haven't got hit by drive-by Flash exploits (since I'm kind of lazy about updating Adobe poo poo) is just by using Flashblock for Chrome. It's also great on low-power machines where Flash slows everything down, blocking autoplay, etc etc etc.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

Is there any way to increase the amount of memory used for caching in SuperFetch? I've found myself with 12GB of RAM and Windows is only caching about 2GB, which is leaving me with something like 6-7GB free at any given time.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

I know I didn't do an anything install. I swapped motherboards, the old drivers were gone and the new drivers were downloaded automatically - and this was going from a nVidia chipset 775 board to an AMD AM3+ board.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

lonters run around posted:

uTorrent is becoming more and more bloated and now it's possible to upgrade to a pro version, and it has apps. Is there an alternative to uTorrent that is being updated regularly ?
Just using the free version and turning off all that poo poo in the menu? Icons and pointless optional pro versions with AV or whatever don't really count as "bloat".

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

VCD only fails when you're mounting those awful PowerISO or MagicISO or whatever the hell interchangeable shareware crap software it's called, but Luigi Auriemma wrote tools to convert UIF, DAA, etc to ISO really quickly so it's easily the best ISO mounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

Gin_Rummy posted:

Would anyone have a recommendation between this and CloneDrive? I've actually heard it mentioned before, so it seems like it's at least somewhat common.
Everyone has been using clonedrive since Win7 came out. I'd just stick to that.