Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pro con
Sep 14, 2008
So I know there's been a lot of discussion about upgrading from the rc and licenses, but assuming that a path from RC to RTM exists, do you think it'll be valid to upgrade my RC install if I have a valid Vista install on a different partition?

i.e.
Partition 1: Vista
Partition 2: Win7 RC -> Win7 RTM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro con
Sep 14, 2008

kapinga posted:

Hard to say. In place upgrades are required to be started from within the particular install that is being upgraded. I haven't the slightest clue if the installer would look for other valid licenses on the system, as the only time this can happen is trying to do RC -> Gold (older versions that don't work with upgrade licenses also don't support in place upgrading).

My guess is that the presence of Vista on another partition isn't going to do you any good. Either the RC will be considered a valid upgrade license or it will not, and if it isn't you won't be able to upgrade no matter what else is already on the system.

drat, I really don't want to flatten my Vista install to get it to work, but I guess if that's the way it has to be then so be it.