Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So I've just come to the nasty realization that the platform of my Windows 8 install is determined by the platform I upgraded from, so I'm stuck with a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit processor (on a rig that has 8 gigs on ram). Apparently the only way of getting around this is purchasing a 64-bit install disk. Would installing a 64-bit version of Windows 7 and downloading the ISO via the setup tool give me access to the 64-bit ISO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

WorkingStiff posted:

Yes. Re-run the upgrade assistant on a x64 machine or acquire the .iso elsewhere.

And I don't have to purchase a new product key? Awesome.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So I current have Windows 8.1 on a computer I built myself. I had a single 500 gig HDD.

I'd like to pop in an SSD and have Windows installed on that instead, to make things a little quicker. Here's my question:

1. Should I use a program to migrant my Win 8 install over to my SSD, or...

2. Would I be able to use Win 8.1's recovery system (where you can wipe your install and begin anew from PC systems) to wipe the HDD and install Windows 8 on the SSD?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I finally bought an SSD. My existing rig has Windows 8.1 on an HDD. I was thinking of creating a Windows 8.1 usb install drive and using that to wipe my HDD and to re-install windows to the SSD....is there a way to deactivate the windows 8.1 activation on my HDD so I can re-use it for my SSD install?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

You don't need to deactivate the key. The activation is tied to the machine and just changing the HDD to an SSD isn't enough for Microsoft to decide that you're installing it to a new computer. As far as they are concerned, it'll be the same thing as if you just did a fresh install on the HDD.

Do you mean it's tied to my motherboard code (IIRC mobo's have unique ID's, right?). That's good news.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Perfect.

I was going to use the factory reset/"remove everything from windows and re-install option" within Win 8.1 to re-install my copy of Windows to my SSD, but as far as I know that option doesn't give me enough discrete control over the reinstallation process to wipe my old HDD and re-install windows to my SSD. I was going to use a USB instead. Just wanted to know if that makes sense.

Also, according to the microsoft website, I can't install Windows 8.1 directly, I have to install windows 8 first and upgrade to 8.1? Is this still true? The installation media creation tool I used to make my installation USB seemed to suggest otherwise, as I selected Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I reserved my copy of Windows 10 a month ago and the icon is still in my tray, informing me that Microsoft will let me know when the OS upgrade is ready for my system. Is this an error or is Microsoft implementing a staggered release schedule? Not sure if I should be getting the notification to upgrade yet.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Nobody Interesting posted:

Running the thing from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install should work fine if you don't want to wait. Choose "upgrade this PC" and "keep everything".

It gave me the option to upgrade my PC directly as well as an option to create an installation USB/Disc, so this should work, thank you!

EDIT: It did work, and I got things up and running in less than an hour.

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 30, 2015

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

codo27 posted:

I found Edge a bit buggy on my laptop I've been running the preview on for some months now. But I upgraded on my desktop and SP3 yesterday and so far everything is fine, aside from an audio glitch I have to work out. Edge is working well now too, though its really too early to declare a victory.

Edge is not bad. What I find a little surprising is that some google sites like inbox aren't working on it - the website says that Google has not yet made inbox compatible with that browser, which makes me wonder if this is some kind of potshot in the never-ending Google-Microsoft tiff

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

You can try. My HP Stream 13 notebook has 32GB of storage and it had 135MB free after the upgrade, so it honestly might not have enough room.

You should try a fresh install using the installation media, maybe that would give you more space?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Two quick questions:

I'd like to swap the SSD in my rig with a bigger drive (the OS is on the SSD). If I reinstall Windows 10, and that's the only thing I'm changing...I should be fine re: activation, right? I think my entitlement is tied to my microsoft account, so if I log in with that account will I be covered?

The second question I have is that I'd like to install Windows 10 on the new SSD using a flash drive that's several months old. If I download Windows 10 today, will that be a more complete version that will have more recent updates on the ISO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

fishmech posted:

1) Yes, that shouldn't trip the hardware check, but even if it did, your entitlement should be tied to your account. You made sure to already update to the big update that came out in August right? That's what you need to do to tie it to the account.

2) Yes, the installer you can get now will include the newer updates. So it'll be faster to get going if you redownload.

Thank you :). I'll swap my HDD tomorrow!