Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

fishmech posted:

7077 expires in August, 7100 expires next June.
Somewhat right and somewhat wrong; you can't use 7100 after June, but starting from March, you can only use Win7 two hours at a time.

FistLips posted:

Could you - and anyone else using Win7 right now for that matter - please tell me what programs aren't working? I'm getting a new computer without any OS on it next week and was considering putting Windows 7 on it and using that until it's available for purchase instead of paying for Vista now...
Are you using a laptop? Drivers and laptop software might always be an issue, but coming from someone who uses a bit of everything except coding and graphical tools, everything seems to be working. Driver support on Windows 7 is great.

If you already have a computer with a lot of the software you intend to run, download Windows Upgrade Advisor Beta, which will check for programs that might not work on Windows 7 (at least for the time being).

And be advized, everyone, that the torrent versions of Windows 7 are reported to be ridden with malware, trojans or whatnot. Reminiscent of the botnet of Macs which was created by people downloading pirated versions of Photoshop and other warez. You should suffer through Microsoft's download speeds rather than taking the seemingly easy way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
(On startup), programs like Xfire require to be run with admin permission to perform certain tasks, and it's probably not the only one to do so. Where exactly do I grant such programs the intrinsic permission - allowing UAC to take a break, too - whenever it's started?

I've checked the Security (Permissions) pane, albeit quickly, but haven't been able to pinpoint the exact parameter to tamper with.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Greybone posted:

Any idea how I can get my mute button on my keyboard to actually mute the system volume? It works when playing music in j. river media center, but not in team fortress 2. It seems that windows 7 also have multiple volume settings per application now, which is confusing me.
Drivers installed?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Well this is annoying: On my laptop, the brightness is turned all the way down, and doesn't change if I crank up the settings. The computer also sleeps on log-in now.

WTF

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

NFX posted:

I have the same problem on my Dell Latitude 6400.
If I turn the brightness all the way down in Windows (via the Win+X shortcut), the display turns off, and it won't turn back on.

However, I can fix this by using the Fn + Left Arrow shortcut, to cycle the brightness modes. Maybe a similar keyboard shortcut will work for you?
Doesn't work. The shortcut buttons for brightness don't work, and the power profiles seem to have the brightness locked at near-minimum.

This pretty much renders the laptop useless, unless I have an external monitor, which I do not.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Zuffox posted:

Well this is annoying: On my laptop, the brightness is turned all the way down, and doesn't change if I crank up the settings. The computer also sleeps on log-in now.

WTF
Solved. Or, sort of. Uninstalled the Power Manager, and problem gone.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

LorneReams posted:

Stupid question, do most of the virus protection stuff out work with 7?
Yes. Most. AVG allegedly slows down Windows, but that's the well-deserved punishment for using AVG.

Try out Microsoft's Upgrade Advisor Beta to see if any of you installed software (antivirus included) would be incompatible with Windows 7.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Baggins posted:

Still no dice on the sound card, but I just discovered something nifty.

The taskbar icon shows progress of file transfers. This is fromcopying my Steam folder. Don't know if it was like that in Vista, but coming from XP that's just an awesome feature.
It's new. Vista was pretty similar to XP in that regard.

Now if only Opera could pull their thumb out their rear end and use just a modicum of the Taskbar functionalities ...

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

xamphear posted:

What does redesigning the concept of the tray have to do with that? So what if app XYZ lives there exclusively, lots of apps do. I never said "remove the tray and to hell with any programs that want to use it."

All the great poo poo people like about XP and Vista and 7 were all new at one point. Hell the tray itself was new at one point. I really hope whoever is behind designing Windows 8 doesn't take the "it's good enough as it is" approach that you guys are advocating.

Are you all so unimaginative that you can't envision any approach that is as good as the current tray?
Send Microsoft your solution to end all tray woes. Maybe they'll listen.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Bonobos posted:

As someone who is currently in a situation where a format is necessary - I'd like to install Windows 7 on my Dell 530. This is primarily a gaming rig.

How is gaming on 7 compared to Vista? I play a lot of old Steam games. Also, will I have to install any additional drivers? I had to install a boatload of drivers last time I installed Vista. I assume I should just use Vista drivers in that particular case?
Try downloading and running Upgrade Advisor Beta and see, if Windows reports any incompatible software. Assuming your computer is in a state to do so.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
I'm trying to delete a folder which I, for whatever bloody reason don't have the permissions to delete, but I can't enter Safe Mode.

Is it still F8 at boot, or have they created some new swanky system that I am unaware of?

cnrkb fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 25, 2009

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

kapinga posted:

It's still F8 at boot. Have you tried taking ownership of the folder? Once you take ownership you can then give yourself the appropriate permissions.
Then what the heck is up with mah Windows. :smith:

Ownership? As in granting myself all sorts of permissions to edit the folder? Didn't work. I've reinstalled the program that used the folder, so I probably won't run into this problem again for a while. Still weird, though.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

evobatman posted:

Ok, here's one that baffles me with harddrives and Windows experience index:

Desktop: Western Digital Raptor X 160GB 10000rpm, AHCI, Intel P35 chipset: 5,1

Laptop: 2,5" Western Digital Caviar Black, 320GB, 16MB cache, 7200 rpm, Nvidia 9400M chipset, AHCI: 5,8

The Raptor is listed as "Multi Word DMA" in Device manager, which is supposed to be slow, but real world performance is 80MB+ per second.

I would assume that the raptor is faster than the laptop drive, and should get a higher score. Even if the laptop is somewhat faster, I think the difference in score is conspicuously big. Anyone experience something similar?
On some Lenovo T500 laptops, downloading the proper driver bumped their HDD score from 5.8 to 7.9. Think it was the Intel Storage Matrix in their case. It was on forums.lenovo.com, but can't find the thread now. Doesn't help that I forgot my password. :v:

Maybe you're just missing a driver.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

beejay posted:

It's fake. They are not going to add things like this at this point. A lot of that stuff would be annoying and they wouldn't change the UI like that post-beta.
:smith:

Pure bliss followed by crash and burn.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Deadpan Science posted:

Is there a free antivirus that works with windows 7 RC?
Yes. :P

Just don't choose AVG.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Thermopyle posted:

A pretty cool Gmail notifier just for Win7 with jump lists and stuff.

One stolen screenshot to tempt you:

Care to throw it up on a site like Sharebee? Hope I'm not the only one too lazy to register to be able to download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Thanks.