Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

alkanphel posted:

I saw this in the OP

Q: Can I upgrade from the RC to Final?

A: No. In order to make sure that some random old beta file doesn't spectacularly crash something in an RTM install (which Microsoft will waste time and money trying to fix when they're called about it), a clean install will have to be performed.

Does this mean if I upgrade from Vista to Win7 RC, then I want to upgrade to the retail one, I have to do a clean install again?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Data posted:

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to fully disable cleartype in windows 7? You couldn't in Vista (the option only partially disables it, which is infuriating). For that reason, and that reason alone I'm still using XP. Anyone?

Edit: Before anyone asks, yes it's tuned correctly. I find cleartype to be blurry and painful to use, and I much prefer clean black pixel outlines.

There isn't a way, just like there wasn't in vista.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't call something you do once and then forget about, probably when you install the program, micromanagement.

Hmm yase forcing developers to do things by making strict changes to the operating system this seems familiar where have I heard this before ???

Not to mention that some programs exclusively live in the system tray. One that comes to mind specifically is teamspeak.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

syphon posted:

Weird, I'm running on a system with only 2gb of RAM, and it still runs great. I can't imagine using 5gb just for torrents, browsing, and movies (I have all of that and more running most nights). It's gotta be how Windows handles memory management these days.

Hell, I'm doing this on systems with 1gb.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

4. You can change the login screen picture through the “Personalization” menu.
5. The menu/lists that pop up when you right click on things now have the Aero Glass effect.
6. The default icons for Folders have changed to be the transparent blue ones featured a long time ago.
7. The Minimize/Maximize/Exit buttons on the top-right of a window have changed icons, and are a bit smaller than the Vista/7 counterparts.
8. [BIG ONE]: There’s an “Upload” feature for Pictures, files, and videos. If you right-click a file, and click “Upload”, you can make it automatically upload to a website of your choice. After uploading, a pop-up will appear saying it’s done, and clicking “OK” will cause the link/download link to the file to appear in the popup box. I tried ImageShack and Facebook
, and they work.

Holy gently caress, it's like they've listened to almost everything anyone has ever wanted.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

beejay posted:

It's fake. They are not going to add things like this at this point. A lot of that stuff would be annoying and they wouldn't change the UI like that post-beta.

DAMNIT.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Scroll down to "windows explorer".

There, the four people who actually give a gently caress can stop complaining about not being able to double-click a dot to go up a level.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Network posted:

Other than indexing like what routenu said, what are some other things I should disable after installing windows 7? to increase performance of course.

You shouldn't turn off anything since it's just going to DECREASE performance in everything that isn't a benchmark.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Network posted:

Does anyone know how I can remove the windows logo on the bottom left of the taskbar? It's annoying when I have a white taskbar and white background, yet there is this little bugger that stands out from everything.

...You mean the start button?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Black Pants posted:

Coming from a few responses I've seen to the person asking about the Quicklaunch bar thing, what reasons are there for NOT using that and going with the pinning feature of 7?

Since I just set up my Quicklaunch how I've always had it pretty much right away, what's the difference between them?

The quicklaunch bar is effectively redundant now because the superbar does everything it did, but without just slapping more and more icons on there.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
I am not going to miss installing drivers. I plugged in a printer I bought just night and Win7 just handled installing it itself without being prompted at all. Had a test page printed out within a matter of seconds.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

DarthBlingBling posted:

Also RTM is expected to be just over one month away!

Source

Dang yo, MS is moving fast with this one.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Casao posted:

Live Mesh is a much nicer version of Remote Desktop.

This is absolutely true for most people. Live mesh is pretty well brilliant and honestly seems to blow stuff like mobile me/.mac/whatever the gently caress that piece of poo poo is called now out of the water.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

My Precious Violin Case posted:

This is the only reason I leave it on, but I don't think I've ever said "No" to one of the prompts. Does it do something behind the scenes which is beneficial? Or is it the kind of thing that you put up with for months just so that it saves your rear end that one time?

UAC contains a huge amount of security that runs in the background, protecting against things like malware and, yes, the whole conficker debacle without asking you a thing. Not only that but it provides a virtualized filesystem and registry so programs won't take fresh, fragrant shits all over them at the drop of a hat.

Really, turning it off is the most stupid thing you can do if you aren't doing it for compatibility reasons.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Mensur posted:

Until I can see processes from all users in task manager with an annoying UAC prompt it's staying off. All that malware protection is great and everything if you're the kind of person who gets malware but I never do. I use FF with adblock plus and a host file. I don't use UAC and I don't even run virus scan at home. A few times a year I'll boot off my thumb drive and scan with avast and malwarebytes just in case but no infected files are ever found. If I need to scan something I'm unsure about I just virustotal.com

The long and the short of it is that my PCs have been infection free since I started using vista since SP1 came out and I've never used UAC.

Jesus gently caress I can't even tell if this is a troll. Malware and viruses don't always manifest as poo poo like giant pop-up windows, sometimes they simply mine for data and mess around in protected areas.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Relambrien posted:

One or two a day? I get much, much more than that. Every time I open World of Warcraft, UAC prompt. Every time I open a launcher program for Starcraft, UAC prompt. Ventrilo, UAC prompt. It would be even worse if I hadn't migrated to MPC from VLC.

I still keep UAC on simply because I've grown numb to having to click "Yes" tens of times a day, though.

The only time I've ever had a UAC prompt come up in WoW is when it needs to update.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Relambrien posted:

^^^^^^I'll try that if things don't work out here. But I like the secure desktop functionality.

Well for some reason, I went to go check Ventrilo's properties and it was in XP SP2 compatibility mode, instead of Vista. I guess I did something with the "Troubleshoot compatibility" function that changed it. Anyway, that's taken care of now.

As for WoW, it's currently running in XP SP3 compatibility. If I set it to Vista or higher, the game doesn't load correctly. But as per my previous edit, even without compatibility and running as administrator, it still requires a UAC prompt. The difference is that in compatibility mode, the prompt occurs before the launcher appears. Out of compatibility mode, the prompt appears after clicking "Play" on the launcher.

That is colossally hosed up. As I said earlier, the only time I ever get a UAC prompt related to WoW is with the automatic updater. Make a backup of your game directory, reinstall to [home drive]/users/public/games and then copy the old directory over that.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Casao posted:

Because the EU is picking the dumbest solution to the problem.

Problem: OEMs aren't including non-IE browsers
Solution: Don't include IE.

Wait, what?

You see, it's Microsoft's fault that most users are idiots, furthermore

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Small posted:

The one situation where task merging bugs me is when my Pidgin IM window gets merged in with the buddy list window -- to view a new IM when both are minimized, I have to click twice (or hover for the thumbnails). So I just made a Pidgin plugin that splits the buddy list and IM windows into separate groupings:

old:

new:

Anyone interested, or does this just only bug me? If anyone wants it I will try to polish it up... if not, I'll just use it myself.

I'd be very interested in something like this, actually.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Kali11324 posted:

I'm getting ready to do this today. Here's what is probably a stupid question: I'm going from XP so I'm doing a clean install. Do I need to back up all my driver or will Windows 7 take care of that for me?

XP drivers wouldn't work in Win 7 anyway.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Casull posted:

Oh hello. Time to try this, thanks.

Yeah, alt-tabbing out of fullscreen apps has always been wonky, regardless of windows version. Your luck in XP was probably not mirrored by a lot of people.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Charles Martel posted:

I didn't realize how helpful the whole "pinning programs to the taskbar" would be, but I can't believe Windows never had it before.

And Windows 7 is the first Windows I've never felt the urge to download a codec pack for. Every .avi file I've thrown at WMP has played natively with no problems and Windows now supports QuickTime files. What do you need a codec pack for anymore?

It sort of did. Quicklaunch.

quote:

I'll admit that I didn't try the new WMP, but I doubt it has out of the box support for all the various wacky codecs / containers / subtitle formats that the internet has to offer.
I've been using it to play DVDs, it does the job well.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

osigas posted:

I did post this in the WoW Goon forums but I remembered seeing others having some WoW issues with Windows 7 through the course of these threads so thought I'd ask here too as I suspect it's a permissions problem.

I'm still having problems with WoW not saving my UI settings on Windows 7 and defaults to old settings every time I log in.

WoW is installed to C:\Users\Public\Games (full access rights to my user and administrator), I have set WoW.exe and Launcher.exe to run as administrator, and I have tried deleting my WTF folder and re-launcing... but to no avail! I've also tried setting the config.wtf to be read only and then back again but every time I launch WoW it defaults back no matter what I set. All my other settings are being saved (key bindings, addon settings etc) but the Video options are always lost.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious? Has anyone else had to tinker with permissions to get this working?

I will come right out and say that this is bizarre. I'm running WoW from the same space you are but I haven't had a single problem like this. In fact, the only time I did was when I had it installed to program files.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

MikeJF posted:

Hold shift as you position them.

:aaaaa: Oh god I love you so much.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Ziir posted:

Should I even bother doing this preorder thing if I am a student? My school has been very generous with Microsoft software (Office Suite for $15).

Probably not then, you're getting a great deal.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

SecretFire posted:

I guess people want something to read while installing their two copies of Windows 7?

Dan Brown?

I hold no hope for the future.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

roadhead posted:

I've only read the OP not the entire thread, but has anyone had any luck getting a classic xbox controller to work in 7? XBCD sort of installs, but it ALWAYS complains about the driver not being signed, and I ask to install it anyway but still no love.

I even found some program that claimed to self sign the driver and put me in TEST mode, but that was also a bust.

As I have pre-ordered SFIV on steam, I really need this fixed soon guys, I was being lazy before but now its important!

You could just buy a 360 controller? They're superior in basically every way and like $20 for a 3rd party version.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

LooseChanj posted:

I've been running 7264 for a few days now, and it's fine and dandy. The big "showstopper" you hear mentioned around the internets really isn't.

Care to elaborate?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Ignited posted:

I am thinking about the same thing right now.

I am developing some sort of tumor over Windows 7 and the predicament I'm in. Currently I have a 32bit os win7 RC running on my laptop which, in my opinion, is just flat out amazing. I am about to build a new computer in two weeks with a Q9550 in it and a lot of other nice goodies. I'm planning on putting win7 64bit on it. Now I'm thinking ahead to Oct 22nd. My laptop is an HP, came with XP but was given a Vista upgrade CD. I have no real legitimate windows vista or xp cd keys. I may manage to get an XP one but it may be 32 bit. Would it matter what it is as long as it installs partially so I can upgrade it to 7? I'm trying to figure this all out while the deals are on for the upgrades because I really want to save as much as I can since I'm still a poor college student but feel the need to put a legit version of win7 on my computers not only because I really want more secure updates when they become available (Genuine Advantage) but sorta to pay some sort of respect to Microsoft for finally getting something right after all these years.

(I just saw this on the Microsoft Store)
" * Running earlier versions?
* If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications."

So that makes me think that putting XP on my new machine will result in a actual full version Windows 7 upgrade since it is basically going on completely clean.

What do you guys think I'm tired of having a conversation with myself, I'm sure a lot of you are thinking around these lines.

If you have an XP license the upgrade will work but you will basically be doing a clean install, from what MS has said.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

CitrusFrog posted:

I'm running 7100 and I have to say, I really enjoy the general user experience however I've run into the following 2 problems.

1: Games run like poo poo.
2: Videos (both on the HD and streamed in my browser ala youtube) run like poo poo.

My system spec is as follows (until I can afford to upgrade some more)
CPU: Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 3Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS P5NSLI (with latest drivers & BIOS updates)
Optical Drive: Memorex MRX-530L
RAM: 2GB (mismatched, one's a Kingston PC2-4300@266 and one's an Apacer PC2-5300@333)
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256MB with the Vista/Win7 168.18 drivers
Audio: SoundMAX HD Audio onboard (R105155 drivers)
OS HDD: Seagate Barracuda - ST3808110AS - 80GB NTFS
Secondary HDD: Maxtor MaXline Pro - 7H500F0 - 500GB NTFS

I also installed the Combined Community Codec Pack and that didn't help, video-wise.

Also might I add it was a total oval office to install because I had to both physically unplug my 500GB hard drive AND load NForce SATA/RAID drivers (that were a pain in the rear end to find) off a USB drive so it would even install onto the 80GB.

Well, first thing I notice is your terrible, mismatched, slow as gently caress RAM. That may be an issue.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Spatule posted:

I'd really love it if they could add this feature: when I have one window maximized vertically on the left and one on the right, the middle window resize borders should fuse or something. Is there a place for suggesting stuff ?

Yeah, it was the first beta. You're kinda outta luck.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Ryokurin posted:

Remember with OEM versions, it really is supposed to follow the hardware it's installed on. No major upgrades and keeping the same install, even if the upgrade is replacing damaged hardware. It also does not have phone support if that's important to you.

Really? I've called MS after major system upgrades for OEM versions plenty of times.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Ryokurin posted:

Yep. They are not supposed to, but that is how the license reads and is probably the reason why a call is triggered. But those are the two main reasons why they say that they can offer the OEM software for cheaper than retail.

I just lie and say that I'm doing on-contract repair work at a company and a UPS blew out so we had to replace the motherboard if they start pushing. They just go "Oh, okay" after that.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

kapinga posted:

I was going to say we'll likely find out tomorrow, but it looks like RTM is delayed.

I can't speak to the reputability of the source, but they appear to have also been the initial source of the July 13th date.

Honestly, if there are major bugs, I'm glad there's a delay.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

fishmech posted:

But that practically is all there is. Home Premium and Business/Pro are all the average person sees or uses. Noone sells Starter in the US, Home Basic practically only shows up on low-end computers that can't handle anything better, and Ultimate is basically the same thing as Plus! used to be, only incorporated into the OS instead of being a separate product. THe most versions of Windows you can reasonably expect to see on a shelf somewhere is 4: Home BAsic, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. And I think it's pretty obvious which is which, not to mention that most every store that sells windows has little booklets from Microsoft at the OS section that explain what the versions are, like they have for Office.

And there's two versions of OS X, OS X and OS X Server.

Not only that, but Microsoft can't do what Apple does, which is use the money they make from selling the only hardware that can RUN their OS to lower the cost of their OS.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

LooseChanj posted:

Home, Pro, Media Center and...:confused:

Windows XP Starter Edition, for new computer users in developing countries
Windows XP Home Edition, for home desktops and laptops
Windows XP Home Edition N, as above, but without a default installation of Windows Media Player, as mandated by an EU ruling
Windows XP Professional, for business and power users (Version number: NT 5.1.2600)
Windows XP Professional N, as above, but without a default installation of Windows Media Player, as mandated by an EU ruling
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, for PCs with x86-64 processors (based on Windows Server 2003)
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, for notebooks with a touch screen or a pen-sensitive screen
Windows XP Media Center Edition for desktops and notebooks with an emphasis on audio, video, and PVR capability. There are four versions:
o Windows XP Media Center Edition
o Windows XP Media Center Edition 2003
o Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004
o Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Windows XP 64-bit Edition

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

fishmech posted:

You forgot Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs and XP Embedded, both of which are XP.

I forgot a lot of things. I didn't want to scan the wiki article for potential repeats.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Xachariah posted:

Three years just seems pretty short, especially in light of the fact that XP had an official lifetime of twice that (2001-2007), and thats completely ignoring the vast subset of users who haven't even bothered upgrading to Vista for the last 2 years.

Besides, when did I say it was a pace I couldn't handle? :confused: . It's just annoyingly expensive if you bothered upgrading to Vista lately. The OS market never really struck me as being cut-throat state of the loving art industry. Three year turnaround is faster than most game consoles lifetimes. And games consoles are exhibit A for constant upgrading.

So basically, you're mad because they're... back on their regular release schedule, seeing as vista was 3 years late?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Does SteadyState work with Windows 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

suction posted:

what firewall for w7 do you guys recommend? i used comodo firewall but it hasn't been updated for 7 yet. windows default firewall sucks btw

Windows firewall. There's nothing wrong with it, you're just being a baby.