Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Be sure you select Printer Properties and not just Properties, and then press the Change Properties button:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Serious answer: Notepad++ can do find and replace in all opened files.

It can also do find and replace on all files in a directory, filtering based on name (e.g. *.tex).

stubblyhead posted:

Learn perl.

This is the best answer. http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads
Is there a "better" distribution of perl for windows?

At work I've turned a few people on to either Notepad++ or perl, depending on computer aptitude.

Notepad++ will do each replacement on all your files at once, but only one find/replace set at a time.

Perl can do some even fancier stuff, assuming you can get your head around regex.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

bonestructure posted:

I'm running into a strange problem when I try to log in to Netflix. I'm on a Windows 7 PC, and when I go to the Netflix site (I've tried with Firefox, Opera, and IE) I click the link for Member Signin and it tells me that my password isn't valid. If I do an email password reset, clicking the link in the email from Netflix takes me into my account screen where I can update the password. I do so, save it, then try to navigate to other parts of the Netflix site (like Streaming New Arrivals) and instead it dumps me back to the login screen, and when I enter my username and the new, updated password (or the old, pre-update password) I get an invalid password error.

This is driving me crazy, and I'm wondering if maybe something is jacked up with the Netflix site, as I also tried logging in with Safari on my iPad and the same thing happened. I thought it might be the firewall or my anti-virus preventing Netflix from setting a cookie, so I tried temporarily shutting down the firewall and AVG and then attempting to log in again. Still no dice. Is there something stupid and obvious I'm overlooking here?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. It's apparently due to Netflix's retarded insistence on both IE and the latest Silverlight install, and utter refusal to cooperate with anything else. Sure hope Bill sends them a Christmas card or something.

Netflix is having issues at the moment. It's working for me in Chrome right now, because I was already logged in. No other browsers work, nor do my PS3 or my iPhone.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Can't Vmware do sparse allocation? In other words, you set the maximum size of the virtual drive, and it will only take up as much space as necessary to hold the files actually on it. Then, you could create a virtual volume large enough to give you plenty of breathing room, but it takes up the minimum space on your physical disk.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Pidgin is free. Trillian has a free version.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

TwoKnives posted:

Is there a way to change print settings without using the interface? I'd like to have a batch script or something similar that reverts the page mode to landscape and the zoom to 100%.

What program are you using?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

:stare:

That might be a feature.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It also lets you seamlessly continue conversations on your smartphone.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It was working before you updated drivers, right? Roll back the driver.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Your camera has a memory card right? Worst case scenario, pull the card and put it in a card reader.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

hooah posted:

Is there a way to tell a Windows 7 desktop to hibernate, software-wise? I know I can set the power button to do that, but I'm going to be gone for 6 weeks, and would like to be able to RDP in, then tell the computer to go back to hibernating when I'm done.

How do you plan on turning it back on when you are done?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Will your computer respond to a Wake on LAN request when in hibernation? Unless you mean sleep.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Daynab posted:

Is there such a program that would let me fetch covers of all my music albums over the internet, or would that be considered :filez: for some reason?

iTunes will do this too.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Hed posted:

I formatted and I used to have a really old version of Acrobat Pro. I went searching for new PDF software and saw this thread mentioned FoxIt Reader a bunch.

As a PDF creator I just want to print PDFs of my credit card statements and other web things I save for posterity--is the normal version of FoxIt any good? I wouldn't mind spending the $30 on some software if it is decent.

Do you use Google Chrome? Save to PDF is built in.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

IT Guy posted:

Burning Images (not pictures): Imgburn

Why this over the built in .iso burning utility? (I do use it on my XP computer at work.)

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Turnquiet posted:

My computer won't sleep. It CAN sleep when I choose sleep from the start menu, but starting about a month ago it stopped going to sleep via the timer. I fiddled with the enabled wake devices, checked my bios settings, the works. Any tools out there that would let me see what would be overriding the sleep timer?

From an elevated command prompt run
code:
powercfg -energy
and read the report that it generates.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Nubcakes posted:

All 16 bit programs I use run just find in XP mode so yea; it's a done deal.

How many 16 bit programs are you using?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Clark2 posted:

How about a modem and windows built in fax and scan?

Your post inspired me to see how hard it is to buy a modem these days.

I found this one for $90: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104011

But then I found a bunch for much less. Like this one for $7: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104011

For $7, it can't hurt to try it out.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg

If we are going to talk about old storage media: The data on the cards in this picture total about 4 GB. Today, you can get a microSD card that holds 64 GB, if not more.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

IT Guy posted:

robocopy source dest /MIR /R:0 would work with the exception of any open files as robocopy doesn't copy open files and can't use VSS.

This will wipe out any changes you made to the destination. Depending on what you want, this could be a good thing.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Try robocopy.
code:
robocopy D:\ E:\ /mir
Will copy everything from D:\ and put it on E:\, and delete anything on E:\ that isn't on D:\. If you run it again, it will skip any files that haven't changed. However, any changes on E:\ would be wiped out.

Robocopy is built into Windows 7.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If you really want to run Win8 on real hardware, why not install it on a virtual HD? http://www.hanselman.com/blog/GuideToInstallingAndBootingWindows8DeveloperPreviewOffAVHDVirtualHardDisk.aspx

I did this, and it works really well.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Grawl posted:

Can anyone recommend a good app to look for duplicate files, especially where I tell the app which directory it should delete from and which directory to keep secure? I've only found software that requires me to update to a pro version.

Sounds like a job for robocopy.
code:
robocopy C:\source C:\destination /mir

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

incoherent posted:

Is there an application like winmerge (basically using it for the diffrencing between two folders) that wont crush itself under the weight of scanning 2TB folders?

I don't have any 2TB folders to try it on, but what about kdiff3? http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

This is kind of weird but, what's the best hard drive imaging and copying software for Windows 98? I have an old Windows 98 laptop that uses a 1.8 inch IDE drive that I want a disk image of and I don't have any 1.8 inch hard drive enclosures so I can't just stick it in another computer.

It's also not able to boot off usb and has only 48 MB of RAM so I don't think a live usb/cd will work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
Would something like that work?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

KinkyJohn posted:

I've have a long list of words. I need software that would help me find all words that end in "tion" for example. Is there anything that would help with this, or would it be better to just create an html page and use Chrome's find funtion?

Regex will be your friend here. It could be as simple as using an editor like Notepad++ that will do a regex search, or you may need to write a perl script.

What does your input look like, and what does your output need to look like?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Read posted:

I'm 99% sure wget can do everything you want and more. I'm no expert on it but I guarantee there are goons here that are. You could probably figure out how to do it using wget help or whatever though.

(wget is a command line utility if that site isn't clear, you can use cygwin to run it if you're in windows)

You can run it straight from the windows command line: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Try unplugging Disk 3 and booting. If it boots, you can wipe the disk. If it doesn't, you will have to fix the bootloader.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

I need some windows software compatible with XP to stick an .mp3 file to a video so I can put it on youtube. I know next to nothing about video software and am sick of all of my friends saying, "Get a Mac." Please help.

Windows Movie Maker

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Did you try the shrink oversized images option?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Agreed.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Revitalized posted:

Is it just me or is the new Microsoft Office subscription based only now?

Just you.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is PuTTY modern?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Krakkles posted:

So I'm trying to use Robocopy to copy files from my desktop computer to my NAS, and I'm getting an error message that doesn't make sense to me:

What am I doing wrong here? I'm hoping to put this in a .bat and auto-run it every day so that my files are more secure, but I've never been able to get it to work.

(Windows 7 Pro, NAS is a HP N40L running FreeNAS that I've never had problems reading/writing files on. I've tried RunAs Admin, no dice there either)

Run it with /R:1 /W:0
That way it retries once, and doesn't wait between tries when it hits an error like that. By default, it retries 1000000 times, waiting 30 seconds between tries.

You could also add /xf desktop.ini so it doesn't bother with that file.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Krakkles posted:

Absolutely.

So:
code:
C:\Windows\system32>net use k: \\192.168.5.111\
System error 1920 has occurred.

The file cannot be accessed by the system.

C:\Windows\system32>net use k: \\freenas\
System error 1920 has occurred.

The file cannot be accessed by the system.

C:\Windows\system32>net use k: \\192.168.5.111\files\
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.
The drive is shared in FreeNAS via CIFS. The specific mount point that is shared is /mnt/brick, and the directory I'm trying to get to (for this particular command, though obviously I'd like to map other things to other areas, as well) is under that - so /mnt/brick/files/music is \\freenas\files\music\.

Can you get to \\freenas\files\music\ in explorer?

Did you try running a non-elevated command prompt?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Is there any good free software for Windows 7 that can repair damaged JPEGs?

We have some software at work that is really picky about the JPEGs we feed into it. I've found Paint.net to be good at fixing these files.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The BIOS doesn't decide what letter is assigned to your drive.

Can you boot up in safe mode or otherwise and access Disk Management? You can change drive letter assignments from there.

If that doesn't work, try imaging the drive again. This time, do not boot up with both disks attached. The newly imaged drive should hopefully stay C:.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
New versions of even Adobe's PDF reader let you use the typewriter tool, and insert "signatures" on any PDF file.

Their reader loads much more quickly these days. I used to use alternate PDF readers but Adobe has won me back.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Without access to group policy, log-on scripts, or the user's password for psexec, how would you go about mapping a printer remotely for a user? Googling seems to only point to those solutions.

With their cooperation, remote assistance or Teamviewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Diovanti posted:

Posted this about a year ago. Still wondering...

For two windows, you can use Win+Left or Win+Right to have it take that half of the screen. Keep pushing to move to other screens.