Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Xenomorph posted:

While not x64, I've had CCC 9.3 installed on my ThinkPad T43, which has a Radeon Mobility X300, an unsupported chipset.

I know this is from a few pages back, but I have an HTPC with an X1900 that I would like to migrate from Vista to 7. Will this be a bag of hurt, or is it pretty easy to trick 7 into using the Vista drivers, as there is no official driver for X1900s on Windows 7?

I actually traded my 8800GT for an AM2 CPU & Mobo and 8800GT because the 8800GT was so loud in a media center PC. I didn't know that ATI would stop making drivers for a decently powerful card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

Are there any downsides to using windows update to install new drivers for my 8800GTS? I'm pretty lazy when it comes to doing it manually, and it'd be nice to have windows do it for me.

They will likely be a little older, if you game frequently then it is worth it to manually update your drivers, especially if a new title comes out and has a hotfix driver. Otherwise, no.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

I was working on my Dad's PC and noticed that one of the other individuals he went to for tech support installed a program called TeraCopy, I had never heard of this before. I liked the interface of TeraCopy a little better than the standard windows copy dialog simply because it looked like it had a little more information. Google says that TeraCopy can copy files faster than Windows alone, but Google also says there a lot of other free copy replacement programs out there. Are any of these programs worth looking into, will they actually make much difference in speed when copying files?

I love Teracopy on Windows 7 or older, but find the Windows 8 file copy utility good enough. YMMV.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My windows directory on my desktop is up to 38gb, and that's after I nuked all the temporary files I could find. Is there a reliable way to cut down that bloat any without nuking? A fresh install is closer to 20GB, which is a huge amount of difference on a 160gb SSD.

I'm in a similar position to this and doing a flatten and reinstall because my Windows director is 43GB for some reason.

Being able to wipe and reload at any time also enforced good backup / offsite data storage practices.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

I've had the same Windows 7 install for nearly 6 years, have transferred it between 3 laptops and at least 3 different hdds/ssds and it's only this big:

What sort of stuff are you installing that adds up to 38 gb?

I wish that I could tell you what happened to my Windows 7 directory, but it's still over 40GB after running Disk Cleanup with "Clean Up System Files".

All that I've really had on here is lots of games, dev environments and tools.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

-Dethstryk- posted:

This isn't ever clear, but you have to reboot after running that. It finishes the process then.

Cleaned up system files, rebooted, it's still 43GB. Flatten & reinstall here I come.

Let me see whats big in it with WinDirStat.

Edit: winsxs is 16.3GB, whats in there? Then it's Installer with 9.0GB and assembly with 5.4GB.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

OEM copies are totally legal. Also any half-recent Windows 7 media will already be SP1.

You should be able to tell the activation thing that you'd like to change the registration or whatever, you may need to call Microsoft support and just say you had to replace something major.

Bad news: In windows 7 and 8.1, OEM licenses are specifically not to be used by people building their own PCs. Nobody's going to call the cops on you, but it's a violation of the license and technically an unauthorized Windows install.

http://www.howtogeek.com/197232/microsoft-is-misleading-consumers-with-windows-8.1-system-builder-licensing/

Edit: If you manage to track down a Windows 8 (not 8.1) OEM copy, that's fully legit for self builds. Windows Vista and earlier also allow usage of OEM licenses for homebuilt PCs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is going to be another stupid question. I know 32bit systems recognize a max of 4gb of memory with 3.5 of it useable. That's all super. But does video ram from a dedicated GPU count against that cap or is it entirely separate?

Read posted:

Separate.

I can't find a great summary, but this isn't always true. Vista and newer handle this consistently better than 32 bit XP, and games that use DX7, 8, and 9 are most likely to need to have VRAM mapped into normal system RAM.

Here's somebody's effortpost about this

And here's a Microsoft KB talking about how the new Windows driver model in Vista fixes this problem.

If you're looking at building some type of vintage machine running XP or older, I'd really want 1GB or less VRAM. If you're just doing general computing on a modern machine, it won't matter either way. There's just one sticky spot of games that use DirectX pre-10 on 32 bit XP.

Long story short: Friends don't let friends run Windows XP in 2015.

Edit: Things got even better with Windows 7: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-graphics-ram-desktop-memory,7644.html

I had no idea it was this bad, actually. 4GB GPUs on 32-bit XP or Vista might be outright dicey, I've never tried it.

Tom's Hardware posted:

The DWM (desktop window manager) is responsible for drawing the desktop with the GPU, which obviously requires the application window data in video memory. The same application window data is duplicated again in system RAM for the CPU to render independent of graphics hardware. This was inefficient obviously because of data redundancy.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 21, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

One of the games I was going through all the trouble of building an older machine for just received its first official update in 11 years that fixes it for modern computers.

lol

What game is this? I love seeing ancient games get patches.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is Sourceforge safe to download from again? Weren't they going through some poo poo before where new owners were packaging malware with installers and such? My qBittorent is bugging me to update, but the built-in auto-updater takes me to sourceforge....

You could also always build qBitTorrent from source, just checkout the release you want and build it: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Nah, I just read it from a one-sentence summary on Wikipedia. So exFAT is fine for this drive, then?

exFAT is the best answer for a shared non-OS drive that has to be usable between OSX and Windows.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, I did that. I meant if there was still bandwidth issues trying to download it.

I'm grabbing it from MSDN @ 100MBit, their servers seem fine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro, I guess? What advantages does 10 Pro have over the usual? Or, better phrasing: are any extra features worth a turd?

Bitlocker, Hyper-V, and remote desktop? I'm sure there's some other stuff.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

what's the best video player for windows nowadays? VLC?

I'm going to be one more vote for MPC-HC over VLC.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Can somebody point me to a good media player that will automatically switch display refresh rate to match content refresh rate? Looking to avoid 3:2 pulldown without doing it manually as I have been.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Stumpus posted:

I have an issue where my speakers play during test but they don't play anywhere else. I have a 5.1 setup, but for some reason the front speakers register as rear in the test. Central and sub test fine. No sound from anything when I play a YouTube video or Netflix.

This is a newly built system. On my previous system everything worked fine. I just unplugged it from there and into this one.

I have uninstalled the realtek audio and reinstalled. I updated the drivers.

Is it connected via HDMI, TOSLINK, or analog? In the Windows sound menu, are you set up as 5.1, stereo, or something else? I'd check that all the cables are in the right place for the rears registering as front.

I had an issue where I had all sorts of sound issues, "no sound device detected" no audio in Source engine games when my windows sound was set to 3.1. I set it to stereo instead, and games started working again (in stereo), but Netflix and other media are all correctly using the Dolby Digital or DTS surround sound tracks, center channel and all.

Also, are you using Netflix in a browser? That doesn't get surround sound right now. If you use the Netflix app in the Windows store, that gets 5.1.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Stumpus posted:

It is connected via analog. The windows settings are set to 5.1.

I am watching through the browser but I should still get sound through the central speakers.

Another weird thing is that some videos will have the central speakers play. So maybe the issue is with the front side speakers.

The only way you'll get sound through the center channel with in browser audio is if your PC or your receiver is doing some remixing. Browser netflix only sends left and right channel audio, no center. If you've got a 5.1 setup and want to watch Netflix on a computer, I'd heavily recommend the Windows store app.

Browser audio can be multichannel, but netflix doesn't.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Arsten posted:

CrashPlan is okay, but when people says it'll take awhile to upload Terabytes of data, they mean it. You'll find a lot of reports on the internet about good initial speeds which then plummet to like 50k/s after an hour or so. Its best use is to backup to local/network storage where speeds aren't an issue.

What about using services like Crashplan / Backblaze to backup your NAS? I'm assuming it's the servers on their end that eventually throttle you, but something like a NAS is on 24/7 anyway and however long it takes to do the initial sync, the future rate of change will probably be pretty easy to keep up with.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any suggestions for freeware blu-ray playing software?

To elaborate some, it costs money to license the codecs to decode commercial blu-rays, so it's impossible to have free blu-ray playing software and typically it's cheaper to buy a standalone blu-ray player box.

You can also go the aforementioned rip method and use MakeMKV to rip them, and the rips play flawlessly on any modern media player. You're violating US law by doing so though. The industry really doesn't want you watching blu-rays on a computer.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm not gonna lie, I've always preferred 7zip just because it's free vs $30. Aren't they both LZMA2 like xzip anyway?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but:

Is there a piece of software out there that is a kind of virtual display driver that creates a legit second display detected by windows (that you can mirror to or make a second desktop ect) that outputs as some kind of unicast/multicasp UDP/RTP video stream that broadcasts out to your LAN? I guess its a long shot but it SEEMS like its not totally impossible.

If you want a more-GUI route, you can use game streaming software like OBS to capture and stream your display to an RTMP server which then redistributes it to clients like VLC that show the stream: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-set-up-your-own-private-rtmp-server-using-nginx.50/

I'm certain that ffmpeg alone can also do this with a lot of tweaking, but I don't have a complete guide, just a basic reference: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/StreamingGuide

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So what's up with /r/microsoftsoftwareswap? Are these pirated keys or what?

The idea of paying $25 for Windows 10 Home sounds really good to me. Too good, really

Yeah, they're keys being distributed / used in violation of some flavor of academic or developer license agreement. Paying money for piracy feels like the worst of both worlds.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Sounds like it's 'illegal' in the sense that it's against EULAs, but not actually criminally illegal correct?

The law is a mess, the only people that have faced criminal charges in the US have done so because they uploaded or re-shared content. Violating EULAs can still create a civil copyright infringement liability.

Because of the law being slow to adapt to this stuff, you end up seeing insanity like this guy who is profiting off of a loophole in Canadian anti-piracy laws.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Anyone know of a program that can play videos forward AND backwards?

So I'm not 100% sure about this, but I don't think that codecs like H.264 can be easily played backwards because frames depend on information in previous frames. You might need to go to AVI, any video editing tools should be able to reverse a video but it might potentially take a while.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Dylan16807 posted:

There are typically keyframes every second or so. In theory playing backwards is simple, just decode each segment into a big buffer. I can't name any programs that do that, though.

Fun fact: Most video codecs have B-frames, which depend on both previous frame(s) and future frame(s). They're just restrictive about looking a much smaller distance into the future. And no loops are allowed.

Anybody feel like doing this and then sending a patch to VLC? Ha.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Uziel posted:

Has anyone set up a video streaming app on an internal corporate network? My team is being asked to either purchase, install, or create a Netflix-like experience for our internal employees to play our company's commercials and training videos. I am going to give Plex a shot but wasn't sure how that would work since we'd want users to be authenticated by their active directory logins (meaning if they are on the network, they are good to go), and there is a desire to also have the app work on mobile.

There is actually mention of there being a budget so if there is some enterprise solution that does this I'd rather go that route than re-invent the wheel.

If that doesn't work out for you, I'd put an Emby server behind some type of AD-authenticating middle layer. I'd recommend Emby over Plex just because there's a better "direct connection to server, no involvement with the outside world" story there. As well as hardware transcoding that could let a very, very lightweight server serve dozens of video streams at once.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Uziel posted:

That would be great, but what exactly would the AD-authenticating middle layer be?

So, I haven't done this and generally avoid IIS like the plague, but I'm assuming that IIS can act as a reverse proxy requiring AD auth? This could also be unfeasible. Somebody correct me.

Along these lines? http://weblogs.asp.net/owscott/creating-a-reverse-proxy-with-url-rewrite-for-iis

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

C-Euro posted:

In MS Word (or any Office program really), is there a way to encrypt a file with a password, then remove that encryption later? Essentially I want to password-protect a file, move it and work on it elsewhere, then unlock the file and send it to someone else for review.

If you remotely care about having a robust, proven encryption scheme, you should use GPG. This is a well solved problem. You could also use something like 7zip's encryption, which is just another face on the same underlying technology. AES-256 should do just fine.

https://www.gpg4win.org/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

HenryEx posted:

That doesn't sound good. I'm on Kaby Lake now and not really keen on stepping down again, but i'm not sure i want to upgrade to 10 either (yet).

Any pointers on where i could inform myself on how to hack together my own update packages?

You're at the point where you need to either move to older hardware or a newer OS. It's likely that you're going to be fighting an uphill, constantly changing battle to keep using Win7 on unsupported hardware, and unlike running MacOS on commodity hardware there's not going to be a community working hard to keep finding workarounds.

If you have a dependency on software that only supports Windows 7, maybe run a Win7 VM for that?

Edit: Looks like I'm wrong, there is a community that will keep finding workarounds to use Windows 7. Sure, give that a shot.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ufarn posted:

Looks like the IrfanView people are acting like complete dumbasses (ie 99% of FOSS maintainers), so what's a good, simple image viewer that supports HEIC?

I don't see any yet. I've been googling around, and it looks like right now you have to convert to jpeg to view things on Windows. You might go to the "request a small app" thread if you really just want a viewer.

I'm also seeing guides that suggest you buy a Mac.

Edit: Found one! $49/year subscription to view photos: https://www.zoner.com/

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 20, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ufarn posted:

Yeah, I saw that too. I downloaded the trial just for the hell of it, and it just bombarded me with pop-ups urging me to do god knows what.

This seems like an obvious niche thing to develop for, but more than anything else, it just seems weird that we basically don't have a way to view them on desktop.

With WebP and WebM, you could always fall back to opening them in a browser, but friggin' Chrome won't even display .hevc.

I don't think Safari on MacOS does either. This really seems to be purely about saving storage space both on-device and in cloud backups, and whenever you share a photo on any other platform then it'll get converted to jpeg.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Severing posted:

Let me get this straight: ufarn's problem with IrfanView is that they won't support a niche standard that only Apple has implemented?

Hahahahaha. Go buy a Mac.

It's not really a "niche standard" when more than 1/3 of phones are now shooting it by default: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/15/ios-42-of-smartphone-market/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

andrew smash posted:

Does anybody know of a FLAC -> mp3 (etc) conversion tool that is both free and not riddled with malware? I would like to be able to load some of my music onto my iphone.

I use Foobar2000, you can use that and download lame binaries from somewhere, or you can just get ffmpeg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

What modern higher-compression compression format would normal users be most likely to figure out? I'm specifically looking for something better than .zip / .gz, and I don't know if people would be more likely to be willing to deal with .7z, .xz, .rar or .zst.

I'm in a mostly Mac / Linux environment dealing with huge volumes of very compressible data, and the effort of getting people to use zstd instead of gzip has been really fruitful. What's the situation in Windows-land?