Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

QWin15 posted:

I'm not sure what a workgroup is. But I guess its time for me to google what it is. The other PC's are detected by the network without me doing anything with a work group, but I'll look into it.
You may want to look into networks. Workgroups are one the most basic things in home networks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Darth l33t posted:

If you value your data that highly, you really need to start backing it up. In that case, it doesn't matter all that much whether the main drive is wiped. AFAIK, the Windows installer doesn't alter existing non-Windows files unless you format a drive or mess with partitions (it reports "total" and "free" space for a reason, right?), but it still seems pretty chancy to try it on a drive with data that isn't backed up.

I'm pretty sure that if you don't format, Win7 will put all your existing files into a windows.old folder of which you can access and delete at your convenience.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Dumb question:

I have two computers I've built myself, one for myself and one for my fiancee. They aren't the exact the same, but the operating system is. They're both Windows Home Premium 64 bit OEM. Now, my question is about some of the minor differences. I installed both of the OSes myself, and didn't make any real changes other than names.

The biggest thing I've noticed so far is mine doesn't have a "hibernate" mode, mine just has sleep. Hers has sleep and hibernate. Now my sleep does what her hibernate does.

Is there something I can check/modify to make them more of the same, and how did they end up different? Is it a hardware thing? (Mine is Gigabyte AM3 board, Athlon II x3 435, hers is a Biostar, Phenom II x2 555BE)

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Does Windows 7 have a full backup feature? The "Backup and restore" that I'm using, does it just backup files and poo poo?

Basically I'm looking at swapping out my primary hard drive (I have a 4 or 5 year old 250GB Seagate) for a new one (500GB Samsung Spinpoint). I have my hard drive "backed up" on a separate 2TB drive, then important data is then backed up onto another drive. My question is, if I back up poo poo, pull the drive, replace it, then reinstall windows, will the back up actually restore my computer the way it was, or is it an "important files" backup?

I might end up just ghosting it over.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

You can set up the Windows backup to include a system image. You can restore that with a recovery DVD from an external drive, a spare drive, or a network share.

Currently my backups include a system image, so I just swap HDDs, pop in my 7 CD, and do a restore?

Someone tell me why the gently caress people want to stay with XP again?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

c0burn posted:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

This is a great Ghost alternative.

If the system backup works as well as I'm hoping, I won't need that. If it doesn't, I'll just come in here and cry.

But that looks like an awesome program either way, i'm going to bookmark that, thanks!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I figured this was the best place to ask. My desktop currently has windows 7 Home Premium on it, and my laptop has Ultimate. What I'm planning on doing is just wiping the laptop and playing with windows 8. I have been making a backup of my hard drive on an external drive, would it be possible to install the Ultimate on my desktop, restore it from my backup and keep the 7 key separate/use it on my laptop if I go back?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there a way to wipe my computer and go straight to 8.1 without having to install 7, then 8.0 then 8.1? I want a complete wipe and blank slate again. I originally had 7 HP, then bought the 8 upgrade for $40, and now am on 8.1. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? The recovery console in 8 doesn't seem to have much in what I'm wanting.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Question about IE:

I like my bookmarks in my bookmarks toolbar to be just the favicon for the website with no text, except in a few rare cases. IE doesn't seem to support this. Is there a way to do that or force IE to do that?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

WorkingStiff posted:

Mouseover any favorite on the favorites bar. Right click > Customize Title Widths >select Icons Only.

That was easy enough, here's my other problem. It seems IE doesn't want to properly import Chrome's bookmarks, is there something I have to do to get them to import properly? Namely the bookmarks bar like I use.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

WorkingStiff posted:

Eh, can you clarify? Export your Chrome bookmarks to HTML (Settings >Bookmarks >Bookmark Manager >Organize >Export Bookmarks to HTML file). Import the file into IE (Menu Bar >File >Import and Export >Import from a File). Then Favorites >Organize Favorites and drag& drop it however you want. There are also some third party Bookmark management programs, but I haven't used one in years so can't vouch for any of them. Hint: If you are really anal, you can edit the HTML files in Notepad++ or your favorite code editor and just copy & paste to get it exactly like you want it, since IE will alphabetize the contents of folders. Funny, IE still uses Netscape's bookmark format.

I've done both the browser to browser import, and also exporting then importing. For some reason, chrome refuses to import ANY of the bookmarks in the browser bar, and when I copy them to a different folder (MInd you, this is all taken care on the "web" now, the interface is complete rear end in chrome), it still doesn't import them properly. Most of them have the names deleted, but it will import some, but not others. I have no clue. I just manually reset my bookmarks bar.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Figured this was the best place to ask.

I've been tasked with trying to get some old software working on Windows 7 x32 since a virus scare and we're finally shutting down all of our XP boxes. It's 16 bit software, but I'm getting the feeling it's simply not going to work. It's MicroScript, used to get text from screen scrapes if I'm not mistaken. However, I can't get it to load properly. The first thing I noticed was there is no NTVBM, and no option to enable it. Is this something Microsoft has dropped completely? I can only find "It's crashed" errors, but I can't find anything in regards NTVBM itself.

e: the other issue I see is that I think a lot of the libraries have changed and none of the ones the software are expecting are there anymore.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Counting down for fishmech to come in with the strangely sane suggestion to actually install it on a Windows 98 machine because modern malware won't work on it. Or worse/better, W98 running in DosBox.

Anyway, I'm seeing forum posts in 2014 that for Windows 7 to 10 it's not installed by default, but that you should be prompted automatically to install it if it's required?

Maybe you can trigger that by trying some other 16 bit software first.

Assuming you mean NTVDM. For NTVBM google sends me to anagram sites.

Yeah, I'm tired and working from memory. Yes, VDM. It's been a long day. Let's see if I can find some other 16 bit software to install.

MikeJF posted:

Is there a reason you're not virtualising an isolated XP instance? It sounds like it might be the best approach.

All of them are already VMs. Security is beating us over the head so that we turn them off, but I think we're going to end up getting permission to run the XP machines until this process is done then force them to let us upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
lol guyz

Seriously though, thanks for the input. looks like we got the easy out for now by running the XP VMs for now and poking management until they give us money to get something better.