Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leo_r
Oct 6, 2009
I'm downloading Windows 7 64 bit off MSDNAA right now. My friend downloaded it earlier and said it wasn't in an ISO, but was just a bunch of files with a 64-bit only installer. I'll see if that's the case when it's done.

Has anyone downloaded W7 off MSDNAA? What was your experience like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leo_r
Oct 6, 2009
I upgraded to 7 this evening. Apart from a bad disk causing me issues (the install disk managed to wipe my partition, but not to check that it was complete, and so it failed half way though install, leaving me OSless), it was quite smooth. I like the new taskbar, and it seems snappier than vista (although that's probably mostly due to the lack of 9 months of crud).

I upgraded to 64 bit. I ran 64 bit Vista briefly about a year ago, but general unstableness (and a little Genuine Advantage trouble) lead me to go back to the version that came with my laptop. Hopefully 7 won't have any problems (no Genuine Advantage problems this time - I love MSDNAA!).

That ninite.com website linked earlier is fantastic! It had about 3/4 of my frequently used software. I selected what I wanted, clicked download, ran the installer and a reboot later (installed avast) and I had about 10 programs that would've taken much longer to install individually. Certainly a malware danger there, but I haven't had any issues.