Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I have a fairly modern PC with Windows XP, and I intend to buy and upgrade to Windows 8.1. I'm running Microsoft Office 2010.

From my understanding, programs and files will not transfer over and I will need to back them up elsewhere then reinstall everything after I transfer the backup to the new OS. This is fine as well.

My question is - what about Office 2010? Can it be retained through the upgrade? Can it be backed up and transferred just like every other program/file? Or would it get wiped out and I'd have to get my hands on an Office disk and key to install them on 8.1?

Koskinator fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

POOR YORICK
Let me know if there's a better thread for this....

I need free video editing software that will allow me to edit a video into clips, then save those clips as individual files. I tried Windows Movie Maker, but it doesn't allow you to do the latter. Any ideas?

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

POOR YORICK
I have a 32 bit version of Windows 8.1 running on a 64 bit capable system (don't ask why). I have legit Windows CDs for both 32 and 64 bit, same CD key for both. The 32 bit version is of course installed right now.

My understanding is that I'll need to do a clean install of Windows 8 64 bit. What is the procedure like for this? I'm irrationally paranoid about losing all my important files or bricking my computer. Also, roughly how long does a clean install of 8.1 typically take?

edit: Also, can my MS Office 2010 suite be preserved either through the install or on an external drive, or would it need to be reinstalled as well?

Koskinator fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 8, 2015

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

POOR YORICK
I have Windows 8.1 32 bit, and was planning on upgrading it to 64 bit.

I just reserved Windows 10. Will I be able to upgrade directly to Windows 10 64 bit, or will I have to install 8.1 64 bit first? If the latter, will I lose my reserved upgrade?

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

POOR YORICK

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why did you have Windows 8.1 32 bit in the first place, and what changed that you're now OK with a 64 bit OS?

Anyway you can't lose your reserved upgrade, the worst case scenario is it takes a bit longer for it show up. The most reliable way will be to install 8.1 64 bit first.

Basically I'm an idiot and thought that 32bit would be better if I didn't 'need' 64bit for anything. Now, there are several games released or coming out that I want to play which require 64 bit so I'm going to have to upgrade.