Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sleepstupid posted:

:sigh: Because the customer is buying them not me, but thanks for totally not answering the original question though :bravo:

I was just looking for a sanity check, not workarounds as I couldn't believe 32-bit machines were so expensive these days.

There's no need to be a dick. His suggestion was perfectly helpful based on the information you gave. You need to specify if you need things to be perfect straight from the box or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

redreader posted:

Ok thanks. I'll give it a go and see how it works. Amazing username!

Just be aware that just because it works does not mean that it's legal. You will be violating the terms of your license by running two installs simultaneously off of one license. If you care about that kind of thing, don't do it. The purpose of calling MS and saying "pretty please" is if you're transferring your install to a computer that is different enough from the previous to require re-activation. They let you re-activate under the assumption that the old computer is dead/unusable/formatted.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LittleBob posted:

Are there any Windows email clients that can be configured to only send email?

Company's EPOS system needs to be able to send purchase orders by email from every terminal, but any replies/rejections etc. only need to be managed and readable by one user. The EPOS software uses MAPI (MS, S or X).

Ideally it'd be something that just sits in the tray and sends in the background, but so far I can't see any options.

I've not actually tested this, but have you tried just configuring an account on Outlook with only the outgoing server settings filled in? You could try just filling in garbage information for the receiving settings if they're required.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nodnarb posted:

They already have the artifacts before I've saved them, and no matter which image editing software I paste the screenshot into. They aren't huge Geocities artifacts, but they're a noticeable "glow" and blurriness in side-by-side comparisons with source images.

If you are using your printscreen button there is no way it can possibly have artifacts, seeing as it's a pixel-for-pixel copy of whatever was on your screen. Even if you're using the snipping tool, it saves as PNG, which shouldn't have the kind of artifacts you're talking about.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nodnarb posted:

It turns out all my browsers were zoomed in slightly and everything was being antialiased, which showed in screenshots. If you hadn't told me this I would have kept thinking it was something wrong with the printscreen function, so thanks.

I'm not shocked to hear this at all. For some dumb reason every other install of IE I see tries to default back to 125% zoom constantly for no reason and it makes everything look like garbage. More fun is when it zooms text but not embedded images for some reason.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm looking for some kind of task-list or project organization software.

I basically need to be able to put in tasks, a completion date for the task, and check-in points along the way. I want to be able to put in descriptions of what should be finished at each check-in point, and have it prompt me when a check-in point is reached.

If it allowed me to set task priorities and color them based on that, that would be swell too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

Check out Due Today. I've never used their Windows client, but I do use their Android one and it works great.

That looks nice, but if anyone knows of anything that's free, that would be better. I can probably get my boss to comp me for software if I whine enough, but I'd rather not since I just got done pushing for an ergonomic chair.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My laptop has been very weirdly slow of late. It's a Dell Latitude D820 (the one with the battery that dies after 3 months). It's a basically fresh install of Windows 7 x32, and literally all that has been installed on the computer are flash, java, firefox, and MS Office. There's not even a scroll bar on the "programs and features" control panel.

Thing is, just opening a new tab in firefox can take 5-10 seconds on these days, and the only extension that's running on firefox is SALR (it's a basically fresh profile). I've already run CCleaner and Malwarebytes on this computer (multiple times), and I'm at a loss for software-ish things that could be causing the problem.

The only other thing I can think of is that the power cable has cracked casing toward the laptop end, and some laptops underclock themselves if they're getting irregular power, but I wasn't sure if d820s had that feature. Is there any other software sort of things I can try before I write this laptop off as dead to the ages?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AlexDeGruven posted:

I used CoreTemp when my 830 was dying to show the techs how badly it was throttling. With C2D systems, it should show you the clock speed for both cores, as well as the frequency modulation.

It's amazing how lovely a laptop runs when you're trying to encode video and it has both cores locked at 800MHz.

Just a heads up, but CoreTemp force-installed Yahoo Toolbar despite the fact that I unchecked "install yahoo toolbar" in the installer.

That aside, my Core2Duo is apparently locked at 998mhz. Suspicion confirmed. Now money needs to fall from the sky for a new laptop.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HalloKitty posted:

Always click "More downloads..." on the CoreTemp site, right under the main text.
Then bam, you get a link to "Download standalone", choose 32 or 64 bit as appropriate, comes in a zip file with no installer.

All alarm bells should be going off when it says "Clicking this Download button starts InstallIQ™, which manages your installation." under the main download link.

Thanks. I had assumed that it was like any other freeware installer (aka, it would try to trick me into accepting a bunch of installs if I wasn't paying attention while clicking Next), but it caught me completely by surprise that I could say "no, don't install that" and then it did it anyway. Fortunately Firefox was smart enough task if I wanted to install an add-on from an untrusted source and I said No there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

EdEddnEddy posted:

A can of air in the vents hasn't helped any? (Or a replacement fan if that need be the case?) Laptop heating issues can be fixed pretty easy these days.

On top of that, if it isn't a heating issue, you havent somehow switched the power profile to power saving or something have you? That would pull the cpu down to power saving clocks and keep it there to save battery.

I have a Centrino Duo (Pre Core 2) laptop that has been my video encoder machine for years and it continues to work fantastic. Hell the Atom powered netbooks get hotter idle then this thing does under load.

Like I said, it has no battery and the cord is damaged all to hell. It's almost certainly a power issue.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
What's the best copying software out there? I'm trying to get my files off of a dying hard drive, and some of them are only reading sometimes. The files are complete, and if you try enough times they'll copy fully, but it's annoying to do them one at a time over and over with windows' default lovely copying function. I want an app that will just keep trying to move the file until it works.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tk posted:

You want robocopy. It's built into Vista and later. If you're still on XP you should be able to find a download pretty easy.

I'm on 7. How do I use it?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a Fences-like program that will let me have a window on my desktop showing the files in a folder or network drive?

I'd like to be able to see all the files on my network drive at work on my desktop in a fence area similar to the way I keep my regular desktop icons in fences. I think this will help me be better about keeping all of my documents on the network and not on my computer.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jvgrant posted:

I have used a bunch of external hard drives, USBs, etc over the course of my desktop's life. All the letter drives that are assigned to them when plugged in are not disappearing when I unplug them, and now "my computer" is full of drives that are never used (I'm all the way down to S: drive). How can I make the ones I'm not using disappear?

Can you see them listed in disk management?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ihmemies posted:

I suppose that is probably the best way if there aren't any cool apps which would solve the problem without me having to put any :effort: into it.

--------------

Anyways, I counted I have collected over 3000 bookmarks (most probably are dead links nowdays) in 12 years or so. Firefox has terrible bookmark mangagement features especially if you want to categorize the bookmarks into folders:

In FF16 they made that poo poo transparent so it's even more awful than before! I need to try Evernote or something like that and see if they put any thought into bookmarks. It would only take a month to reorganize if I went through 100 bookmarks a day :v:

You might be better served using that time to seek a therapist for your compulsive hoarding problem.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ihmemies posted:

I know that 99,9& of those links are probably useless junk but since there are some I don't want to get rid of I haven't just deleted them all. By organizing I meant mostly deleting but I have zero motivation dealing with the issue with Firefox's Bookmark Manager.

I also understand that bookmarks alone are a bad way to store information & stuff I'd want to watch/read later (like photos from flickr or some articles etc.) and that's why I need to move on to something else. Preferrably something which supports syncing to other computers/devices too.

To be more useful to you, there's an extension for firefox that can go through all of your bookmarks and delete all of the links that no longer work.

Here it is:
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/CheckPlaces.shtml

The dev is a primadonna and quit supporting it a little while back because Mozilla didn't treat him special enough or something, but it still works and should be able to cull at least all of the dead links in your bookmarks.

As somebody who used to have trouble throwing out boxes for games I didn't even own any more, I wish you good luck in paring that poo poo down.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

aw yiss posted:

Any good gmail account consolidation programs? I'm currently just using Digsby to check multiple accounts at the same time but something more tailored to just gmail would be great. There's also a bit of a delay between receiving an email and digsby updating to reflect this. Just a small program that monitors each gmail and lets me know when I get a new one would be great.

You could always just use an actual mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

stubblyhead posted:

What I'm actually having a problem with is sending the ctrl-alt-del signal to a Windows VM console that I'm accessing via several layers of RDP. The normal ctrl-alt-insert isn't working (just releases the mouse cursor from the console), and I was thinking it might be related to this somehow. I've not had a problem with this before, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

e: Guess I should have been more up-front in my original question, so sorry about that.

I don't know the keyboard shortcut for you, but I have a shoddy workaround suggestion. Turn on the Onscreen Keyboard in the Windows VM and hit CTRL+ALT+DEL on that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Dark One posted:

The contents of my C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys folder are unmoveable, but scattered in a way that causes a lot of file fragmentation at the start of my system drive. I tried using a defrag utility in safe mode, but it still couldn't move them out of the way. Is there any way to tidy them up?

Why do you consider this a problem?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but are we really fooling ourselves that the sun has anything to do with that, especially in darker months? That's why I want a drat bedtime and wakeup time settings; the ambient light changes based on when I turn the lights on and off and let's be real, the sun has little to no influence on that.

The "nighttime" mode is supposed to have the same temperature as the fluorescent and incandescent lighting in your house in order to reduce eyestrain, not help you obey the "no screens before bed rule" by dimming the monitor to somehow make your brain not register the light.

It really sounds like you want something other than what f.lux actually is. If you want your monitor to simply look darker after a certain hour, you probably need to find something that can adjust the color profile of your monitor on a schedule.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

peak debt posted:

Unless you're planning to send your movie back in time to 2005 you really shouldn't be using VirtualDub anymore, that poo poo is outdated like crazy by now.
The go-to tool for recoding video and audio nowadays is ffmpeg. Officially it's just a command line tool but it's not that complicated. If you have severe commandlinophobia there are GUI wrappers for it. For more specialized muxing/demuxing including chapters, subtitles etc there is mkvtoolnix which is specialized for mkv output.

For video compression, absolutely use x264. As a GUI for that, Handbrake is the #1 pick nowadays.

It seems odd to describe a tool that has a graphical user interface as a thing of the past in order to endorse a command line utility.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Why exactly do you want a quicklaunch bar when the Win7 taskbar is already a quicklaunch bar with more features?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MUFFlNS posted:

It looks like the A/V Arena subforum was closed at some point, so I figured this might be the best place to ask? I was wondering if anybody could give any suggestions for free software (for Windows 7) that could be used to merge subtitle files (.srt) with video files (.mkv/.mp4/.avi) into one single file?

Don't have an answer for you, but I think the A/V stuff just kinda merged into Inspect Your Gadgets.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Syano posted:

What is everyone using for encrypting laptops?

Truecrypt works pretty well for consumer-grade stuff, though I guess you can't really trust any encryption given what we've learned about the NSA in the last few weeks.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Read posted:

No reason to doubt Truecrypt.

Truecrypt is open source, but if the NSA has developed ways to just straight up crack the encryption methods used, which some of the latest leaks suggest, then it doesn't matter if the source is backdoor-free.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there any reason for me to update to Windows 8 from Windows 7 on my desktop gaming machine? All I use it for is web browsing, movie watching, and playing vidya games. I worry that MS didn't have the video games part in mind when designing Windows 8, though it seems fabulous for tablets and I definitely want to get a Surface at some point.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SplitSoul posted:

A few days ago my ability to use torrents completely vanished. It'll sometimes show seeds and leechers, but usually not, and it persists across trackers and clients (Deluge 1.3.6, uTorrent 2.2.1). I haven't changed any settings in Windows, the clients or on my router, clients are unblocked in Windows Firewall, and the disk is fine and has plenty of space left. What could be wrong?

Have you considered that your ISP is blocking your torrent traffic?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SplitSoul posted:

Yes, but I really doubt it, they've been one of the few in Scandinavia to face legal battles to avoid blocking TPB as required by law, because it would also restrict customers from accessing legal contant, so simply blocking torrents across the board would be quite out of character for them. Googling hasn't revealed anything to that effect, either.

Edit: Okay, I've narrowed it down. It works through the wi-fi adapter to the same router, but something is blocking the ethernet connection. It's weird because everything else works internet-wise, it's just torrents that don't.

Do you have a static IP address set on the ethernet connection and are you forwarding ports to that static IP address in your router?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HalloKitty posted:

Oh, BeOS! Now we're talking.

I use VirtuaWin for this. It's free and has a decent number of features. Not as cool as actually running BeOS, but it helps me keep organized when working on multiple projects.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
What's a good, free terminal emulator that'll let me use SCP to transfer files from my windows PC to a remote Linux machine? Putty won't do it. In other words, I need to be able to SSH into a remove linux computer and then transfer files to it that are stored locally on my Windows computer.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fletcher posted:

I haven't used it before but the PuTTY page does list PSCP, an SCP client.

I tried that, actually, and it wouldn't successfully authenticate with the server no matter what I tired. I'm going to give WinSCP a try. Thanks all!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
FileZilla's installer tries to install three different toolbars before I can actually install the program. That's pretty shifty.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fletcher posted:

The TrueCrypt page was just updated and it doesn't look good: http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

http://truecrypt.org redirects to there as well

Not sure if this is the result of the audit or if the TrueCrypt page was hijacked or what. There's some discussion going on over at HN: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7812133

Seems like a hijack to me, but I'll be awaiting further development with bated breath. I use TrueCrypt for any of my drives that contain financial information or business information, so if it's not secure I need to find another solution pronto.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yeah, I would be transitioning to something else right now but given what we know from the Snowden leaks I don't want to trust Bitlocker and I can't use it anyway because my system doesn't have a TPM.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hooah posted:

Why does the "Safely remove Hardware and Eject Media" tray icon have my primary SSD as an option? That seems ...unsafe.

Any drive that reports itself as hot swappable is going to show up there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

stevewm posted:

Install ClassicShell (http://www.classicshell.net), and then in its Advanced settings, disable the hot corners and skip the start screen; now it is functionally no different from Windows 7. No user training required.

Yep, that's definitely something that should be done on corporate computers. I know that when I'm making images, I always disable the page file too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

Yes these are comparable things and this post totally makes sense.

It just seems to me that third-party shell customizations (that, let's be honest, you can never know 100% what they're doing in the background) aren't a valid replacement for user training in a corp environment when user training is all it would take. It's risky to introduce new, third-party software into your ecosystem unnecessarily.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

baka kaba posted:

Is there anything better than Intellitype or Mouse and Keyboard Centre or whatever, that will make the media volume keys work reliably? I've got an old MS Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard and when the keys work they're fine, otherwise I can be waiting upwards of 30 seconds for the volume changes to finally happen. It's pretty poo poo!

Mine has always worked without any extra software. What version of Windows are you on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lelandjs posted:

Multiple desktops/Expose confirmed. Handy, I suppose, but I'll use it exactly how often I did on other OSes that have it, which is never.

[Edit: No one will ever convince me that multiple desktops are any better for multitasking/power users than Alt+Tab is.

...I mean, I guess it's a clever way to hide the fact that you're looking at porn at work?]

If you're working on 3 or 4 different projects at once it's a good way to keep the resources for each project organized.