Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

So they pushed Windows 10 to Dreamspark and I got 9 separate keys out of it :shrug:

Upgrading from 8.1 with a Dreamspark key didn't activate. No biggy because I have 9 goddamn keys. My dad just upgraded his 7 and that didn't activate, not sure where the key for that one came from but it wasn't Dreamspark. Oh well, just means I'm down to 7 keys left.

Bit annoyed that my 'free upgrades' have not actually been free, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Radio Talmudist posted:

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I reserved my copy of Windows 10 a month ago and the icon is still in my tray, informing me that Microsoft will let me know when the OS upgrade is ready for my system. Is this an error or is Microsoft implementing a staggered release schedule? Not sure if I should be getting the notification to upgrade yet.

Running the thing from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install should work fine if you don't want to wait. Choose "upgrade this PC" and "keep everything".

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

So is the windows 10 update pretty seamless?

E: do/should I need to do a clean install?

You can do a clean install but you must upgrade first or you won't get a genuine activation.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

Even stronger: Absolutely do not install third-party virus or malware scanners. They are snake oil you don't need, but might ruin your system after some update because they tend to hook into Windows deeply.

Wanting to convince my IT manager of this so we can stop paying for Bitdefender.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

I really wouldn't, when some idiot usb keys a ransomware program onto your network accidentally and they moved away from their dumb AV 5 years ago because you recommended it you're going to be the bad guy.

We're entirely remote so no network to speak of really, and hooked so far into Microsoft 365/Azure that ransomware would just be lost time...

But I see your point. Even if Bitdefender is doing absolutely nothing, security theatre is the job keeper.