Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I wasn't expecting 7's upgrade to just move the entire contents of my old hard drive to Windows.old, so I deleted that without doing a backup, so there went 250 gigabytes of stuff.

On the upside, I can at least blame the lack of backups on Seagate for giving me two faulty hard drives and taking their sweet time mailing me my replacement (which I imagine will also die within a month).

In other news, Windows 7 is pretty slick, even if Windows Update is still horrible and hardly works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

-Dethstryk- posted:

What do you mean? It's been solid for me in Windows 7, and hell, it's been solid on XP for years now. I have to use the thing every day.

Initial update after installing took 30 minutes, failed on three out of four updates. Try again without rebooting, remaining three updates install, but take about 20 minutes, 18 of which was downloading (what the gently caress just put it on the DVD?) one additional language (180mb @ 2.8mb/sec) and installing it, which also required a separate window to pop up for some silly reason.

Granted, it's not "You installed Vista and had crap luck and your first Windows Update managed to corrupt its cache; basically you will have to reinstall Vista in order to get WU to work. Love, the Microsoft technician who has been handling your support ticket regarding this problem and taking his sweet loving time replying over the past two months that it's been open" broken, but it's far from what I'd consider "working properly" in its current state.

Everything else about Windows 7 (aside from the naming of the "Windows.old" directory) is pretty sweet, although I'd like to be able to remove poo poo from the taskbar notifications list since it sort of sucks at noticing when things are duplicates and what not.