Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
If you open an elevated explorer can you change the properties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Alexandr posted:

Apologies for asking something stupid, but what's the right way about going about activating Win7 RC/build 7100? I'd prefer to keep this as a gaming OS, since it actually runs things that were previously stuttery on XP86 and Vista64. Do I just need to dig out the valid CD key for either of those two things, or is there something I'm missing somewhere around the official download links?

Here are the Beta keys MS gave out

64-bit key
7XRCQ-RPY28-YY9P8-R6HD8-84GH3
RFFTV-J6K7W-MHBQJ-XYMMJ-Q8DCH
482XP-6J9WR-4JXT3-VBPP6-FQF4M
D9RHV-JG8XC-C77H2-3YF6D-RYRJ9
JYDV8-H8VXG-74RPT-6BJPB-X42V4

32-bit key
4HJRK-X6Q28-HWRFY-WDYHJ-K8HDH
QXV7B-K78W2-QGPR6-9FWH9-KGMM7
6JKV2-QPB8H-RQ893-FW7TM-PBJ73
GG4MQ-MGK72-HVXFW-KHCRF-KW6KY
TQ32R-WFBDM-GFHD2-QGVMH-3P9GC

They should activate Beta 7000/RC 7100 until March 2010 I believe.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

syphon posted:

Out of curiosity, do we know for sure if that's all of them? Sure enough, I see my key in that list (and I've never shared it with anyone). I thought they tried giving out unique keys at the beginning of the beta, but then relented and used a small set of keys for everyone.

Yeah that's the 5 that got repeated. Some people did get unique keys but they all work the same.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
AnyDVD installs a system wide filter to decrypt HD titles and remove region locking on the fly.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

G-Philez posted:

Thanks! I am getting TMT 3.0.1.20 and SlySoft.AnyDVD.HD.v6.5.4.4.Multilingual.WinAll-BRD.

:filez:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Alcohol 52% is also good on Win 7, and supports mds/mdf files which VCD doesn't.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Cage posted:

I dunno, say if I pin firefox and then open it it'll expand on the taskbar. When it does that it'll push everything else over to the right. I just like that tiny quick launch that always stayed on the left.

You have changed your taskbar settings from defaults. Set it to always combine, hide labels.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I don't think you have even tried it for more than 5 minutes before turning it off.

You can drag the system tray icons back next to the clock if you want.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
So give it a go? We're not just sucking Microsofts dick.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

threegallopingdogs posted:

Volume Control now allows you to adjust separate volume levels for different applications, which is sort of nice if not a terrible useful feature. Except that it keeps resetting my volume levels for TF2 and L4D to 1% whenever I go to menus (ie during a level load screen). It's really annoying having to alt-tab to move the slider back after every level change, any ideas?

I think the Steam VOIP stuff triggers the "telephone call" bit so turn this off. Fixed it for me.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
This article from Ars is pretty great. It lists all the tiny little changes from 7000 to 7100. Nerding out here.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What's wrong with AVG? I just went and got the free version I've been using with Vista.

I want my quicklaunch bar, or something akin to that. How do I make it come baaaaaack

Pin things

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
If you're going to turn off indexing and stuff please don't bore us with the details.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
ATI just makes lovely OpenGL drivers but I've heard nvidia isn't much better. The last couple of card generations have just not bothered having nice drivers. I'm into Quake 1 engine mods and it's a pain in the arse.

I blame ID for not releasing a game since 2004.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

uXs posted:

Tried turning TMM off, but it doesn't help. Windows still keeps losing my TV as my second monitor when I turn it off. (And not detecting it again when I turn it back on, which is the main problem.)

Any ideas on how to solve this?

What graphics card and what type of connections are you using?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I dunno if nvidia has a "force TV detection" checkbox like ATI does, you could try that. Older cards tend to have dodgy support as well from ATI/nVidia.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Ok. I just want to know how to keep up with the latest build.

They'll be on torrents or newsgroups. If you make sure the hashes match what's posted here you should be fine.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Is there a way to make UAC ignore specific files? I have a game that when I run it, it pops up with the "Do you want to run this" stuff where it locks down the computer until you say yes or no. I can't run the game through steam though, presumably because of this. And running it through steam is pretty important.

What path is your Steam install at? Did you upgrade to Windows 7 from XP/Vista?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Tagra posted:

Stupid newbie question of the day. Can I run things pinned to the taskbar as Administrator? I had the launcher for WoW pinned there but in order to actually patch through it I had to go fish it out of the folder to run as Admin. I couldn't find a way to run as admin off the pin, or pin it as an admin icon... but that doesn't mean I'm not just :downs:

[edit] I knew if I posted this I would figure it out immediately! Right click on the menu you get AFTER right clicking the first time, and the admin action is available. This has been your :downs: moment of the day. enjoy.

Or, press ctrl+shift and click on the icon. :)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Quotey posted:

Anyone found a way to pin TF2 (and other source games) to the taskbar? When I pin it it buggers up the way anyone who's had to gently caress about with mods- it pins hl2.exe and when you click on it, it doesn't know what game files to get so it gives you the vsync error. And now when I launch TF2 it uses the HL2 icon and calls itsself hl2.exe(2) which is just sort of ugly.

It's not a deal breaker but is there anyway to do this?

You need to pin steam.exe -applaunch 440

You can find out the applaunch numbers by right clicking on games in your Steam list and choosing "create shortcut on desktop".

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Gallipoli posted:

What is everyone planning to use for full disk encryption? I understand the RC comes with Bitlocker, but I don't intend to have the cost of this netbook be exceeded by the OS version when I have to buy it (here I am, possibly foolishly, assuming prices are going to be close to equivalent Vista versions at release).

TrueCrypt.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Sigmund Fraud posted:

I have a minor problem with running W7 with dual screens. In short the background is flipped around, and the part that should go on the left monitor goes on the right.

I have the laptop monitor to the left of my extra screen, which I use as my primary monitor whenever it's plugged in.

I COULD just edit the wallpaper and flip around the two portions, but it feels like there should be a simpler fix, especially since I got a bunch of them on rotation.

Go to display settings and drag the monitors about.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Charles Martel posted:

One thing about Windows 7 that's royally pissing me off ever since installing it over Vista is not being able to access my own files on my D:\ drive. When I try to save a screenshot to "D:\" for example, W7 gives me a "You do not have permission to save this file here, would you like to save it in My Pictures instead?" message.

So then I go into my D: drive's properties>the Security Tab>and tick "Full Control" for every group, but when I try to save a screenshot to drive D:, I get a "A required privilege is not held by the client" message or some poo poo.

How do I get Windows 7 to stop bossing me around and let me do whatever I want with MY files?!

Take ownership of the files via the Security Tab (Advanced>Owner).

For all people who keep getting ownership/security issues - wtf are you doing? Do you pick a different username and password for every OS install or what?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

redeyes posted:

Yeah this poo poo sucks. Also, I keep finding programs that don't install completely correctly with UAC on. The other problem is accessing HDs from other computers. UAC simply wont allow you to do anything many times. I have to reboot with UAC off to get into something like x:\users\username\documents.. or I can reset the ownership permissions on the entire disk which isn't really that good of a choice.

Either way, my life is easier with it turned off.

I fail to see what UAC has to do with NTFS permissions. Also you should be running as Admin or compatability mode instead of turning the whole thing off. This post is just "I don't understand Windows".

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Volte posted:

I have disabled UAC at my own peril, but I would re-enable it if it were possible to promote an already running application (or temporarily disable it system wide with a tray icon or something). I get annoyed trying to, for example, unpack a RAR file directly into a Program Files directory after opening it from Firefox, getting the "Access Denied" message, then having to restart WinRAR as admin (or unpacking to a temp directory and copying). Also forgetting to open configuration files in admin mode, editing them, and then not being able to same them is frustrating as well (I constantly do this in Linux too).

NOD32 and common sense seem to keep me virus free though.

Use 7zip. It will cause a prompt on extraction.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Relambrien posted:

One or two a day? I get much, much more than that. Every time I open World of Warcraft, UAC prompt. Every time I open a launcher program for Starcraft, UAC prompt. Ventrilo, UAC prompt. It would be even worse if I hadn't migrated to MPC from VLC.

I still keep UAC on simply because I've grown numb to having to click "Yes" tens of times a day, though.

Did you upgrade to Win 7 or do a fresh install? Where are Starcraft and WOW located on your hard disk?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Shannow posted:

edit - also, what earthly need is there for there to be so much space on either side of the clock?!

Most people run the taskbar on 7 with large icons so you're missing the date etc from your clock.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
It's not flakey. If something triggers it, something triggers it.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Does MS ever get pissed off and just write drivers for stuff themselves? Like when you see driver provider = Microsoft?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Xenomorph posted:

Ok, I just got my Q9550 CPU, complete with Intel VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGY.

Now how do I get started with this "XP Mode" thing?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
64-bit browsers are dead until Adobe Flash embraces 64-bit

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I never understood virtual desktops. You can't see more on screen at once.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Download this from Microsoft, burnt to a DVD, booted off the DVD, got "Windows" intro screen, got a background with a mouse cursor that I can move around and... nothing. The setup windows never come up. What the gently caress, what a piece of poo poo.

Try removing all non-essential USB stuff and any secondary monitors and try again.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Install Firefox 3.5 rc3

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Gooofy posted:

My windows 7 install no longer displays thumbnails of pictures as their icons. Does anyone know how to fix it?

I tried googling it but the solutions on google are not working for me.

Do you have the option ticked in folder options?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I cannot see this picture and I NEED to.

Edit: Ok, it works now, this is golden

As a serious answer, try clearing your thumbnail cache using Disk Cleanup in the Start Menu

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

xamphear posted:

Firefox needs jumplists of bookmarks and most visited sites and tab previews.

https://brentf.com/blog/software/winfox-ndash-firefox-and-windows-7/

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Is that a single core CPU with DDR1?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
The product ID isn't the same as the key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Xachariah posted:

If you're in the UK, can you preorder from Amazon.com? I've never needed to before, but co.uk isn't doing the promotion.

EDIT: Nevermind "Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S."

There are no upgrades in Europe because the EU and Microsoft are a bunch of babies.