Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

FistLips posted:

Yeah, I downloaded the RC straight from Microsoft - don't quite get why you'd download an OS from an unsecure source when you can get the same thing for free from the people that make it, even if it might be a bit faster...

Because they weren't full of any malware and you could check the hashes against what people who had officially downloaded it posted to verify it's authenticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

nimper posted:

Plus it downloads faster.

And you could get it much sooner than it was publically released by MS.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Network posted:

I only have 2gb of ram right now, is it worth is to buy an extra stick of 1gb ram so I can run Windows 7 as smoothly as windows xp right now?

Win 7 runs just as well as XP on my netbook with 2gb of RAM. You could just install x64 windows 7 and buy like 4 more gb for all of $50 or whatever it costs nowadays.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

GroceryBagHead posted:

Just installed it on my system. So far it looks good. Not like that shitheap of OS called Vista.

:ssh: vista and 7 are very similar in many ways

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Cukel posted:

How do I change the level of hardware acceleration in Win 7? There is no slider in dxdiag and the "Change settings" button in monitor settings -> Troubleshoot is grayed out. Is there another way or are my drivers somehow loving up? I am using newest Catalysts for Win 7 64.

What reason do you have for lowering the hardware acceleration?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

kri kri posted:

ATI dropped the 9.5 drivers today. I used to have an Nvidia card, why do they make this so confusing? I get 4 choices in terms of downloads, which ones do I need? I run a 4890 card.

Try reading the drat page. If you just want the drivers, click the one by 'display driver only.'

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Priapist posted:

No, there are two separate packages listed there, which is confusing some people.

Yes, because they're retarded. Look at the date, get the newest driver. Not very hard.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It's not a thumbnail, it's actually a live preview. And it sounds like something's broken for you. The behavior you describe doesn't happen tome.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Chances are if you dislike ClearType you haven't set it up right. It makes things look so much nicer and not fuzzy at all unless your monitor's broken or lovely.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Data posted:

Doesn't look like that zoomed in for me, looks like lovely, poorly configured ClearType.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

xamphear posted:

The only thing I wish the superultrabar had is notifications. I want my Outlook icon to change when I get new mail and tell me how many new messages I have. Tray notifications loving suck, and tray icons are next to pointless now. They're better in 7 than they were in XP, but all they've really done is make it easier to hide them. Time to ditch the tray completely.

I actually agree. With the features the superbar has and aero peek and pinning the start bar doesn't need a tray, there's no reason you can't do all of it with the icons. Then they could give you an option to center icons on the taskbar and make it look nicer.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TheManWithNoName posted:

Running this on my Macbook, it's pretty cool so far. If MS makes it easy and cheap enough to make the RC the full version I will probably do so.

You'll have to get a regular priced license and reformat to go from RC to RTM.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Cage posted:

Ugh no the combining thing is awful. Thanks for the help I guess Ill just have to live with it.

:psyduck: Aero Peek keeps everything so uncluttered and easy to deal with.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

A pretty cool Gmail notifier just for Win7 with jump lists and stuff.

One stolen screenshot to tempt you:

I just use Digsby, which has support for gmail and pops up and previews the emails, then automatically opens an internet tab to your gmail account if you double click or go to 'inbox.'

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Chokes McGee posted:

Wow. Vista was a disaster on my laptop, but Windows 7 has been fabulous so far.

The best part was when I figured out why it was running hitchy/slow on my computer. Aero was turned off out of the box for some reason; when I switched to an Aero theme, it must've tapped some hardware acceleration or something, because everything got 50% faster and more responsive.

No idea how that works, but I swear it happened. :tinfoil:

Probably because aero is gpu driven.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Death of Rats posted:

Going back to XP (or worse, Vista)
Vista's pretty great and a lot like 7 and you are a dumbshit.

Thirteenth Step posted:

I always turn UAC off, why does everone frown upon this here? What are the reasons people are for UAC?

If you don't know why you should leave it on, you're the kind of person who needs to leave it on.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Relambrien posted:

One or two a day? I get much, much more than that. Every time I open World of Warcraft, UAC prompt. Every time I open a launcher program for Starcraft, UAC prompt. Ventrilo, UAC prompt. It would be even worse if I hadn't migrated to MPC from VLC.

I still keep UAC on simply because I've grown numb to having to click "Yes" tens of times a day, though.

I think you're doing something very wrong then. I've used all of those without a single UAC prompt on Vista.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Plorkyeran posted:

WoW likes to write to lots of files in its program directory, which doesn't combine very well with UAC. Either installing it to somewhere other than Program Files or granting your account admin access to WoW's folder should make it work correctly without compatibility mode.

Also don't use that lovely launcher.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Start menu search already returns control panel items, what's the point?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

FlyTB20C posted:

Much like Kameleon said, Win 7 just thinks it is a ps/2 mouse. Hopefully closer to the actual release someone will provide a working driver.

So? My Win 7 sees my 1000h's pad as a ps/2 mouse but I still can use all the multi-touch features and configure it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

syphon posted:

That looks fantastic! Too bad I use Digsby now. :(

If you set the buddy list docked (and auto-hiding so it's not always taking up room on the screen) it doesn't take up a space on the taskbar, so it's a non-issue.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Xenomorph posted:

Your computer is broken.

No, everyone has pretty much found the Win7 RC to be amazingly fast and optimized, breathing new life into even the oldest systems.

Seriously like I've said time and time again, Win7 RC runs faster than XP did on my netbook even.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

Using 1920x1200 as my primary monitor, and "large" icons really are not excessive at all.
Even on my 1024x600 netbook large icons are fine.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Alex007 posted:

Am I right to assume getting windows updates is a pain in the rear end for them ?

Nope it updates and functions 100% identical to an authentically store-bought copy.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

I am not a bean posted:

Very easy, though time consuming, upgrade process. Pop DVD in while at the Vista desktop, answer a few questions, then wander off for an hour and a half while it does its thing and reboots a gazillion times.

Takes longer to boot than Vista did, but once everything is up and running, seems to run a little bit quicker.

Had a hard time getting my Realtek AC'97 sound working, but I had the same problem in Vista and XP (yes I have a lovely generic motherboard) - the problem was exaggerated by having a hard time finding the proper drivers on Realtek's Engrish site. My webcam was also a little funny, I had to reinstall the drivers for it once 7 came up and also download an update to the software it came with. Ironically, it's a Microsoft webcam, less than 6 months old at that. However, it's now working.

Going to take some time to get used to the new taskbar - for now I've turned off grouping since I tend to have 5+ IM windows open at a time.

Why would you not use an IM client with tabbed IMs? Having 5 windows just for instant messaging sounds so annoying and inefficient. I think most people have lovely generic onboard realtek audio and I don't know anyone that's had a problem with it just automatically installing the proper drivers. Every piece of hardware in my netbook worked with a clean Win 7 install. And if your 7's booting slower than Vista something's messed up big time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

EpicNemesis posted:

EDIT: I'm a retard and forgot that I setup my TV as a second monitor, which for some reason defaulted to my main monitor.

Ouch.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

roadhead posted:

How is a 360 controller that I will have to buy "superior in every way" ? They moved the black and white buttons to a less desirable position for Street Fighter playing!

1 It actually works and is officially supported and wireless.

2 SF4 is an actual 360 game so the controls are gonna work out better

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

Do you need an adapter to get the wireless controller to work or is there something simple that I never tried? I always just used a wired controller, 10$ cheaper too if you're using it just for the PC.

There's a version on Amazon that comes with the adaptor.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

sexual rickshaw posted:

Actually, if I try to get to the ctrl+alt+del menu, it just gives me a black screen - and it stays there until I hit esc. Also, I CAN open up new windows, it just doesn't show them - if I have the gadgets window open and click on "Find New Gadgets" - it opens the window and causes the gadget window to lose focus, but it doesn't show me the new window.

Do you have another monitor hooked up?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Overall your system isn't that great for playing most modern games :|

What games are you trying to play?

It's actually pretty awful, the CPU and GPU are also pretty crap.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

CitrusFrog posted:

Hold on then while I conjure money out of my rear end so I can buy a liquid nitrogen cooled umpteen core hypercomputer with 64 gigs of RAM and a USB blowjob device.

You could build a computer for $400 or less than ran games a lot better than the one you have now. I'm pretty sure Prototype will never run above 'crap' on a p4 system, especially with an 8600.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Xachariah posted:

They make computers with 4GB hard-drives? My USB thumb drive is twice that and cost me a fiver.

Probably a bad idea to run Win 7 on a 4GB hard drive.

First gen Eee PCs like he said had super tiny SSDs.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lum posted:

since 7 is really just a modified Vista rather than a whole new OS. It's like Windows 98 Second Edition.

I'd say it's more like 95 to 98. Faster and prettier with lots of improvements. But definitely a new OS.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Zigmidge posted:

P sure gizm knows what he's talking about and you guys don't, about this.

Yeah being a huge software pirate gives you inside knowledge on how poo poo works.

Just like you can actually tell the difference when a game's updating more than it can display.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Copy the files to a USB key or hdd and run setup.exe. Tadaaaaa. What the hell difference would it make if it's a small flash drive or a larger hard drive?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Some people don't have Windows on their netbook, or are coming into a situation where their drive isn't bootable and need to make a bootable usb key :ssh:

That's the point it'll make a difference.

But either one would mount the same and be read the same so it doesn't.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Yeah, it's a gesture they added specifically for tablet PCs. That's also a big part of the reason the default icon size is so large - to make it more touch friendly. A lot of Windows 7 was designed around touch interfaces and being as touch friendly as possible.

Well that and it looks way better with the superbar with no text.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You never said if you were on the RC, RTM or retail. If you are on anything other than retail you have 0 right to bitch and you've probably upgraded from a previous beta of some sort.

BTW my netbook running the RC with the latest updates is still perfectly stable so it might just be you too.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You could just use Chrome and not have to mess with any of that poo poo :smug: Chrome users were already in the Aero support club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I assume it's IDE?