Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
Upgraded to 7 a few days ago. I've got an external HD connecte via eSATA. The drive works fine but I don't see the usual "safely disconnect hardware" icon anywhere. Where is it? How else can I eject a drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Speaking of video drivers, for two days in a row, I've rebooted and found that I am in non-Aero mode because my display doesn't support Aero. I have a 9600M with the newest driver, and it worked just fine 2 days ago. I'm gonna have to do a clean install if this keeps up. I'm not gonna do a system restore everyday.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Force it to re-check the windows performance whatever rating and maybe it will kick back over.

Just tried this. It rated my graphics performace as a 1.0

Seriously, what the hell.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

So i just installed a new copy of Win7. My previous Win7 was an upgrade from Vista, which led to nothing but problems. You'd think that almost 15 years after Win95, MS would have figured out how to make an Upgrade process that didn't gently caress up constantly, but apparently not.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

okay. I'm officially at my wits' end. help help help me SH/SC.

I installed RC1 7100 x64 on a clean install on my HP laptop ~ 6 months old.

My windows experience is 4.8

Intel C2D P8400 2.27ghz
4GB Ram
Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN
Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E gigabit ethernet NIC
Nvidia 9600M GT w/ latest pre-release win 7 drivers

Currently on a wireless N connection via a Linksys WRT160N

I had no connection problems running 64-bit Vista.

I've got every single possible update from Windows update so I'm fairly certain all my drivers are up to date.

The problem

My internet connection seems to "rubberband".

This is mostly noticeable in an online game. I will be playing normally for 20-30 seconds, then I will freeze in place, and reappear a few seconds later in a new location. Occasionally I will timeout completely.

(The same problem described here by someone else: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857587 )

However, this problem doesn't just manifest itself while gaming. If I try to download a large-ish file via internet explorer or firefox, I get frequent "connection reset" errors or my download will rocket up to 400-500kbps, then pause for a couple seconds, then resume, then pause, etc. Which drops my overall download speed down to about 100kbps.

I get random timeout errors when connecting to websites.

I'm pretty certain it's not an ISP problem because the problems started with my install of Windows 7. I have AT&T "elite" tier DSL.

I have utorrent installed, but not currently running.

I've tried disabling windows firewall and turning off network discovery as was suggested by Google, but with no luck.

Please help me.

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 17, 2009

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

I'm having a bizarre networking issue.

At work I connect to the internet through my Touch Pro cell phone on a laptop, via a program called PDAnet. I've used the program for at least a couple of years now. I get latency of about 100-200ms. I used to be able to run Steam games online with a reasonable level of playability.

Since I upgraded to Win 7, I have not been able to connect to any Steam servers. It simply will not query the "master server" and thus will not show me any available servers. I've tried completely disabling Windows firewall but nothing happens.

I know this is horribly vague but I'd really like to be able to kill time at work with some games and Win 7 seems to be cockblocking me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Sprint mobile broadband is blocking ICMP traffic for me. Does anyone know how to bypass this in Win 7?